What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

I miss not being challenged. Pokemon games are easy now. Fun but easy. Back then you spent hours trying to figure out how get past a dungeon or whatever. I miss the simple engine. No abilities, natures, EVs and such. I think Gen II had by far the best engine of them all. I miss not having to look over my shoulder everytime I do something pokemon related.

I miss the days when i used to get to school with my new gameboy color and brag about my charizard and help them to beast the rocket team building lol .

I miss not caring about base stats, Yeah lv 100 beedrill FTW. Still have an n64, stadium 1 and 2 gold, red, blue etc. Still play them now and again.
Pokemon in gen 1 and 2 were better looking as a whole. Ken Sugimori knew how it was done.
Anyone remember hearing the orange islands rumour or was that just me?

I miss not being able to sit down and enjoy the games for being pokemon.

I have to SR to make sure I have at least the right nature. (future games, not gen one)

And, being able to use cut on trees and then save where they were, turn off and BAM. You're on a tree. B)

I miss battling lances Gyarados in Yellow and it looking kick ass.
I miss whooping some guy with a team with all 3 birds and mewtwo with my gyarados (even at a young age, i hated abusing legendaries)
I miss hearing Pikachu sounding like it did in the anime rather than the other games when i talked to it in yellow...
I miss messing around the Missingno. constantly, just admiring and theorising...
I miss searching online via dial up internet how to move the truck...

I miss it quite a bit really..

Personally I'd say the opposite. AIUI serious competitive RBY play always sees the same Pokemon with the same moves. Whereas in DPPt you can use UUs and NUs to good effect, because all Pokemon get a much better diversity of moves. A skilled DPPt player can battle competitively in OU with a team of all UUs and do well - that's not the case in RBY, ever.

I've only ever played 4th generation competively, and if I had the chance to go back and play the 1st gen compeitively, I wouldn't for these very reasons. I probably love the 1st (and 2nd generation) as MUCH as anybody, but the third and fourth generations brought some great things in the form of abilities, natures, IV's, and EV's, and the physical/special split to name a fun.

As mentioned a skilled player can have a lot of crap on their team and still win. It's great!

In terms of what I miss, playing this game until 3 AM even though I was only 11 and it was very dangerous for my health. Pokemon Blue was actually one of the first games that I ever really played seriously and it was so much fun. I remember wasting my first ever master ball on a Snorlax. WTF was I thinking? lol

Like many others, I miss being ignorant of IVs/EVs/competitiveness of pokemon in general. Now all I do is breed, clone, and research. Sigh.
This.

I remember leveling my charizard to lvl 100 by just beating on the elite four. I leveled up a few others with rare candies but I was under the impression that rare candies made you weaker so I just thought my no-rare-candies charizard was the godliest thing that had ever graced a GB cartridge. I thought this until my friend's Mewtwo 1-shotted him... sigh... took me years to figure out why that happened lol.

I've only ever played 4th generation competively, and if I had the chance to go back and play the 1st gen compeitively, I wouldn't for these very reasons. I probably love the 1st (and 2nd generation) as MUCH as anybody, but the third and fourth generations brought some great things in the form of abilities, natures, IV's, and EV's, and the physical/special split to name a fun.

As mentioned a skilled player can have a lot of crap on their team and still win. It's great!

In terms of what I miss, playing this game until 3 AM even though I was only 11 and it was very dangerous for my health. Pokemon Blue was actually one of the first games that I ever really played seriously and it was so much fun. I remember wasting my first ever master ball on a Snorlax. WTF was I thinking? lol
Technically no, it wasn't dangerous for your health. Perhaps not sleeping for 48 hours (if I recall, you have to do this VERY frequently and not sleep much beforehand for it to be hazardous), and sleeping less than 5 (minimum recommended) or 8 (recommended) hours.

Anyhow, I miss the simplicity of it all, like some people. I didn't play competitive in it (thank god), hell I always picked Venusaur and thought
Razor Leaf
Vine Whip
Solarbeam
Body Slam I think? I dunno some normal skill was epic. Also always trained Abra's with the followed moveset:
Psychic
Psybeam
Recover
Reflect

Like many others, I miss being ignorant of IVs/EVs/competitiveness of pokemon in general. Now all I do is breed, clone, and research. Sigh.
Same for this as well...

Today games you have to worry about everything about your Pokemon:

Which ball it was caught in
Which area you caught your poke at
Nature
EV's
IV's

and much more D:

I miss them being so simple, and being able to brag about getting a pokemon to level 100. And I miss amnesia giving a +2 to both Special stats, and being able to have just about any pokemon able to use both special and physical attacks.

It used to be about catching the pokemon you like and raising them to win, no matter what, now I need to use freaking Obama the christmas tree just to make blizzard have 100% accuracy.

i miss having to battle with your favourite pokemon and not having to worry about stats and everyone asking me how do you get aerodactyl and me replying 'evolve charizard' but i dont miss having to walk everywhere

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I miss Gyarados being the most beastly motherfucker in the world. He was so good, now a Gyara with any special move is a joke.

If it's any consolation your silver has probably lost the ability to save games and whatever you had on it is gone.
I found my Silver Version the other day and I knew it had my level 100 feraligater from Crystal on it, and I wanted to trade it back to Crystal, but my Silver file had deleted itself! So I guess this applies to all Silver cartridges? Not just mine.

I actually miss the graphics. The "poor" graphics gave it that retro video game feel...

I miss not knowing about Natures or EVs. We are all forever scarred.

And if it makes anyone feel any better, my old Silver game's going through the same problem. Spent an hour on it too just to find out that it deleted itself every time I turned it off.

The Spc Stat
The incredibly easy way to EV Pokemon-shake hands with missingno. and give the pokemon you want the suddenly massive amount of rare candies you have
Mew
Mew
No Natures, No IVs, NO BLISSEY
I guess GSC was good with the introduction of Held Items
The Awesome Music.
I hate the nowaday music.

I remember using rage on my charmeleon, thinking it was a badass move.... until I got flamethrower, anyways. oh, and spending an hour to find and catch a pikachu.

Everything being a fresh, new experience that nearly anyone of any status could relate to.

Also I miss getting excited over getting a holofoil card, and was pissed at the new holo pattern (damn balls replacing the ultracool stars)

i also miss all the concepts being a surprise, after GSC
i knew:
wed have 8 gym leaders
4 E4s
a professor named after a tree
a region
a random dude you saw before being the champion
legendaries
etc.
before RSE i only wished theyd have 3 regions but we got plain too easy hoenn...

I really miss the good ol' days in Kindergarten where me and my friend would always battle, and he would always win, cause he knew about the missingno. glitch, and I didn't. I'll also miss the fact that my wonderful Kindergarten teacher would let us bring our gameboys to school on Fridays and battle each other. The thing I'll probably miss second most was when I would spend hours on end in my room either listening to the Lavender town music (I freaking loved that song), or spending my time in the game corner trying to get a porygon. The thing I miss most is the fact that you could show your face in public if everyone knew you were a pokemon fanatic, nowadays you can't even mention pokemon without being called gay. I hate it soooo much.

My Major childhood golden days were when r/s/e was released. I was in the third grade (by then pokemon master but I still didn't know about evs), and no one could beat me, just because I had a lvl 100 kyogre that knew water spout, and a friggin awesome lvl 100 blaziken to back it up. Everything about that year was good except for my evil teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)