What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

i miss the simplicity.
everyone would be in school, would catch pokemon and then just battle.
no one worried about iv's ev's, egg moves, etc.
and everything was more fun! also teaching all my pokemon the same type moves </3

I miss Team Rocket in general. They were supposed to be silly, but now you have these weird space-guys trying to create new worlds.

Also, I miss the broken Wrap mechanics :(

IMO, the stats were the best part because now it's just a pain to have to keep on getting pokemon until you get a good nature or stats. Also you should not care what other think about you if you still play pokemon, being the end of the school year with little to no work I play pokemon in half of my classes and noone cares.

I miss not knowing everything about the game. There's nothing like seeing Marowak for the first time in Lavender Tower, going "OH MY GOD, WHAT IS IT I WANT IT!" and then finding out you couldn't catch it. Nowadays, it's like, yeah, MixApe needs 64 attack EV's in order to dispatch key targets with Close Combat.

What's really nice about right now is that in my area, HGSS has brought about a Pokemon revival. There is no shame in bringing your pokewalkers out.

This comic summarizes my situation succinctly, except I'm not in college yet:

I love the comic! Fortunately, in my high school, I know several people who play pokemon, we connect pokewalkers every day and talk about pokemon, then they all ask me questions because I am the only competitive battler.

Just like everyone else, I miss the simplicity. I never stayed up late at night trying to breed the perfect murkrow that has great ivs, the right ability, and the right nature. I was just like woah cool! A ponyta! I want one!

I miss being able to tell what Pokemon I was facing simply by listening to the cry.

That shit doesn't fly in Diamond and Pearl, though.

I wear my pokewalker on my hat to!

Some guy wanted to pick a fight with me for being a "nerd" while i was battling my friend after school. He got his ass handed to him(my friend and the dickweed).

I miss being able to play pokemon and no one would give a damn cause they were all playing it to. Now if i play pokemon i have to hand out beatdowns on a daily basis.

I miss missingno lol. Getting glitched Lv. 100+ pokes freaked the hell outta my friends as a kid.

Mostly i miss being the best, because at the time, no one could ever beat me.
I also miss the poke hunt, which was, getting the best pokemons ever and first, i got mewtwo, articuno, zapdos fist, and on GSY i got scizor, steelix, tyranitar first, before all my other clasmates. Nowadays everone knows how to get all pokemon, but before, only i did.

The simplicity. Occasionally, when trying to weave my team around stealth rocks, priority moves, Breloom, and all sorts of other metagame insanity, I just really want to go back to the days when everything was a potential sweeper, entry hazards didn't exist, and Hyper Beam was actually as badass as it sounds.

When I was younger, my friends and I would get together to play Red and Blue. We would have tournaments, we traded to get all the best pokemon, we would have entire parties dedicated to pokemon.

Then everyone started getting older and just sort of drifted away from it. Nowadays, I have one friend who still plays, but all he has is Firered. I can't even trade with anyone to get all those trade-evolution pokemon.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is the fact that the sense of community that went hand in hand with my pokemon experience has since faded away.

I also miss the simplicity of it. 151 pokemon, no natures, it made it so much easier.

I also think I miss the freshness that I got from it from playing it for the first time. The first time I played Red I didn't know what was gonna happen next. There was an element of surprise when I went through that story for the first time. I remember when my Bulbasaur evolved into an Ivysaur for the first time. It was like Christmas morning, I was so excited.

Now, I know what's gonna happen next, there isn't so much of an element of surprise.

And finally, I miss catching pokemon because they looked cool. Back in the day I would only use the cool looking pokemon, but now I know that half of the ones I used sucked, and I seem to only use the same ones in each run through of the game.

As others have said, the simplicity. If you want to battle against other human players these days, you need to go out and find Pokemon with good numbers, and good natures, EV train the suckers in the right stats, and put together a good moveset where every move compliments the other, and sometimes the entire team.

Back in generation 1, all we had to do was put together a team of 6 Pokemon and link cable it up. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy EV training and battling today, but I miss how easy it used to be just to battle.

I miss Mewtwo being ridiculously broken, as odd as that might sound. In RBY, virtually nothing could take it on, which fit well considering that at the time it was the ultimate Pokemon. Now it's entirely possible to beat the super legends with regular Pokemon (Kyogre VS Quagsire or Darkrai VS Heracross etc), and that just feels really off. :T

Also,

^ This this this this
Coincidentally, I took on a team full of legendaries and knocked out a Giratina with a Honchkrow, and it (Honchkrow) wasn't even fully EV trained.

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
for me i miss the mystery. I was a younger kid of course and we didn't have the internet so i never knew what to od next. it was fun just to figure out what you had to do instead of gamefaq it. Also i had no clue if things like using strength on the truck were true or if you could get celebi or mew ingame and it was fun just to sit down trying to figure these things out, and actually be able to complete my pokedex

I loved everything about the old games

1. razor leaf/slash rocked sox!
2.only one special
3. it was easier to catch em all
4. everybody loved them
5. everything else

i used to have friends in school who loved pokemon like me. i would always beat the crap out of them (thank u mew glitch !) Now they think pokemon is dumb and tease me constantly for still playing it. We arent really good friends anymore. I guess pokemon brings us apart but sadly pokemon tore us apart too...

To me, the characters ( gym leaders ) actually had some personality. I was intimidated every time I faced Blue, plus the fact that it always came as a surprise. I miss having a overconfident jerk as a rival... these days they always try to be friendly with you. Hope they go back to that in Gen V... even though I know they won't.

I miss how easy it was to train level 100 pokemon. Because of the missngno. glitch, you could multiply rare candies and stat boosting items. Now you have to buy an action replay or something if you want the right ivs or natures. Also the 0 to 15 ivs were way better than 0 to 31. That way you could catch like 5 pokemon of the same type and pick the best one and still have good ivs.

I miss Missingno.
I miss hyper beam being kick ass!
I miss being the best (About 7 or 8 freinds at school who play, and despite me being the most competitive battler bar mabybe one, i still suck due to the fact i never make good squads on cartridges, i should really finnish learning to RNG)

But mostly, just messing around with Missingno. and glitch city, i adored that.

i liked the t-wave,bide combo lol pokemon ragequit started right from there xp it is as sadistic as using wobbuffet on choiced pokemon nowadays.

but of course i miss the simplicity and how thoughtless i used to play the game, nowadays i worry about good IV's, the right nature, the right ability and make sure that i do not waste any EV point... that just sad >.>

What do I miss most from the RBY Era? Definitely Missingno and the various glitches in the games --the Badass Legendaries and the fabled Mew are right up there with Missingno... I remember the far-fetched rumors concerning Mew and the eventual discovery of the Mew Glitch over at Gamefaqs, that crap is also missed substantially...

That there was only 151 and it was so much more fun and actually possible to catch 'em all. Now with almost 500 and maybe 600 with B&W it seems impossible to actually catch em all.

Missingno. Enough said.

(Beating Lt. Surge with a LV. 8 Geodude was pretty hilarious, though. Plus, completing your Pokedex didn't come at the cost of your youth. :P)

Definitely the music. How I love the music.

Also, while the massive amount of depth is impressive on these fourth generation games, the simplicity of the old games was fun. You'd see a Magmar on the anime and think what a cool pokemon it was. Then you'd go and catch and train a Magmar. No need to worry about breeding for natures and all that. It was just fun to play.

I definitely miss having all of my friends playing. It is so hard now to get all 3 or 4 of my friends that actually still play together to battle. Back then I could battle basically every day whether it was at school or with the neighborhood kids.

And I hate to say it but I disagree with everybody saying they miss only having 151 pokes, I love the fact that there are hundreds more. It makes the games more interesting and diverse. But that's just me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)