What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

What I miss the most is my M' Kangaskhan, you know, a Kangaskhan with moves like Water Gun and Water Gun and Fly and Sky Attack?

I don't think admitting I play pokemon is a problem, the problem is stereotypes, they think it's just "Rawr pikachu go and beat it up! Rawr!", but in reality, Shoddy could probably corrupt my dad.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really do miss Gen I's darker atmosphere: the demented Pokemon sprites, the trainer sprites that held whips, Mewtwo's backstory on Cinnabar Island, not to mention Lavender Town...

I miss how you could have a Charizard that knew Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Cut that could sweep your friend's team. Not that I had that move set... per say...
>.>
<.<

There are a lot of things I miss from RBY, but I think what I miss most is the style of the Pokemon sprites. Nowadays, it seems to be all chibi stuff for pre-evolutions, and monsters for fully evolved Pokemon. I think it might be literally possible for the new sprites we see today to be Spore creations.

I liked doing the infinite items trick, because it was soooo easy to do. It was also fun watching my friends cower in fear as we battled wondering how come my pokemon were all at level 100.

I also miss Tauros being such an effective pokemon in a generation.

I miss everyone liking Pokemon, however, the more i play the newer games, the more i find that a lot of my friends are still into it, they just never got into the competitive Metagame.

THE SPRITES!! So funny, original, caricatural, old school.... Some were actually scary too ( Is that a golbat ?! ) and some were references to real world stuff, like the gangsta Tentacruel, the disco Omastar..... Nintendo would never make such original sprites now =/

Well, I miss the fact that when we caught Pokemon, chose our starters, there was no nature to worry about, or their IVs, and no need to toss the first one you got because it had crappy stats. When we started and played the game, there was also no need of worrying what EV's the Pokemon will gain, and we just battle whatever we wanted to train :P we could battle millions of Machop with our Charizard and not worry about it not having "strong special attack" ...Those were the days...

All the nostalgia itt so far is the same for me. I really miss how good a lot of pokemon used to be (psychic or not) and now a lot of OU mons back then are less useful these days because Nintendo/GF likes to whore powerful Dragon-types. I mean, I know they don't give a flying fuck about Competitive mons, but do we really need that many overpowered Dragons? There are too many pokemon too, 251 was a reasonable amount and I remember in GSC there was 100 more and I was like "HOLY FUCKING CHRIST 251 POKEMON WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO WITH ALL THESE!!??!??!" and now there is like 493 and counting. Slow it down yo. I am starting to forget some pokemon even existed lol. The sprites were also better back then, I think pokemon was intended to have a "monster-ish" feel to it (hence pocket monsters??) but now they are just like stupid (art and sprites). Too cute and loveable, not that I don't love cutemons, I love ampharos etc. but I liked Hypno's Green sprite and some of the others that looked like they would fuck you up.

I liked how it was cool back then too. There were like 5 people in my whole elementary school that didn't play pokemon and I think that was because they played digimon or some shit. Now you talk about pokemon and people try to pull out the "I never played that" bs lie. Fuck you liar, yes you did, everyone did. Idk I wish people would just realize its a game they play(ed) and grow the fuck up sometimes. -.- I'm also suprised nobody mentioned how broken Freeze was yet, but I loved that too.

I guess pokemon is a better game (not really) with the more advanced mechanics and stuff, but its kinda lame that we have to actually test shit because with the right Typing/Movepool/Base Stats anything can be a force now. I suppose EVs/IVs/Natures made the game more "fun" in a its-more-complex-and-has-more-strategy kind of way but it kinda sucks that stuff doesn't depend on typing anymore (fuck you GF for the Physical/Special split) like it used to. idk sometimes i wish we could go back to the old days. DP would be really fun with even adv mechanics. Sorry for the long rant-like post.

[/rant]

wing attack WAS normal. Sky attack was the only flying move aero learned
Wing Attack was Flying and Aerodactyl could also learn Fly.

oh and I agree with that guy who posted a few pages back about too many HMs. Seriously RSE sucked because you basically needed to HM slave an entire water pkmn. And fuck Defog.

Well, I miss the fact that when we caught Pokemon, chose our starters, there was no nature to worry about, or their IVs, and no need to toss the first one you got because it had crappy stats. When we started and played the game, there was also no need of worrying what EV's the Pokemon will gain, and we just battle whatever we wanted to train :P we could battle millions of Machop with our Charizard and not worry about it not having "strong special attack" ...Those were the days...
There were no EVs in RBY. It's Stat Exp. Stat Exp goes into all stats.

My level 256 Golduck. Also, I miss how strong Mewtwo was. Every battle was Mewtwo vs. Mewtwo with my cousins.
Max level was 255 through the Missingno. Glitch.

However, back on topic, I missed playing Pokemon with my older brother and friends all the time. Even though most of my still play Pokemon, it's just not the same. My brother is in to other games like I am, but it was cool to battle each other and talk about the game.

The Missingno/Item Duplication glitch. Not only was Missingno awesomely weird to see, but being able to duplicate items without Game Genie... yeah.

And related to the above, I still remember battling against someone and seeing that they had a Level 255 Electrode. My jaw must have dropped, and I was still impressed when I found out how he did it.

Team Rocket. Now there were some villains that actually made sense. They even felt like a credible threat.

I liked how the pokemon back then didn't have to be cute or cuddly or whatever but just looked cool and like they could beat you up. Due to these cute/cuddly new pokemon most of my friends started hating it :(. That's what i miss too, having battles with friends/people in school.

I miss the Sheer awesomeness of Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2. Those games made Pokemon 20x more Epic. I agree with anyone whose ever played PBR, its Bullshit. I miss the rival, the gym leaders and E4 who didnt want to hand out badges like candy, and i miss the grind of spending 90+ pokeballs trying to catch MewTwo. I miss the Gamblers(Gamers? Screw that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)