What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

I recently played through pokemon blue again and it stirred up many memories. I actually liked knowing the mechanics of the game, it made it fun knowing that I actually knew what I was doing this time around. I loved not having natures and EVs though. Not having to worry about getting a relaxed Charmander or getting too many defensive EVs by blasting Onixs with my Bellsprout is amazing. That is probably the thing I miss most, just being able to use a pokemon without catching a billion of them to get a perfect one.

Other things I miss include:

-The original E4, so badass, easily the best of the generations IMO they all just seemed to fit the "these are the most powerful trainers you will fight" bill
-Mixed Gyarados
-Victreebell being arguably the second best grass type in the game
-As many have said, old music
-Old Gym leaders, so awesome, so much character
-That level 16 Raticate trainer that kicks so much ass, also Raticate kicking ass
-Team Rocket and Giovanni being the 8th gym leader, so epic
-Did I mention Mixed Gyarados?
-The fighting dojo
-Awesome Sprites
-Blue/Gary/Rival having an awesome team, I remember hating him but at the same time thinking his team was so cool at the end.

That is it for now, Playing through Blue again kinda makes me not want B/W (lies). It was one of the more enjoyable video game experiences I've had in a while.

I don't miss anything. I recently beat yellow, and recently beat white, and I'm just glad that the 5th gen pokes aren't as crappy as the first gen ones.

bar arcanine. and mewtwo. the rest suck.

I just miss all the times I got to play that game. I missed not knowing what the fuck an EV was, and teaching shit like thunderpunch to Gengar. I missed training like a bitch before that first gym leader. I felt like the absolutely coolest kid when I went into Brock with a level 25 Charmeleon, 27 Butterfree, and 24 Raticate. But what I miss the most is the pure wonder that Pokemon brought to me as a child. Now? I've never even PLAYED DPP. I just miss the ignorance that still let me beat the Elite Four (after revive whoring that bitch). Oh, and I miss my HM slaves. Finally? I miss just using the Pokemon I thought were cool. And throwing on random moves, like three fire type moves on Charizard. FUCK COVERAGE, I HAVE STAB. I remember my Pokemon Red Team of like. Charizard (who the fuck DIDN'T start with this monster?), Butterfree, Raticate, Jolteon, Alakazam, and Starmie. (Even when first playing, though, I didn't like having two of the same type on one team too much.) It was great.

The really cool glitches and rumors spawned by random things. I miss spending hours beating a different version of the game so I could trade over a pokemon with Cut so that I could Surf passed the SS Anne and attempt to cut the truck's tires. I miss having access to every pokemon, I miss being able to have an infinite amount of any item without having to use an AR and I miss the originality of some pokemon, now a days there are just so many filler pokemon that are there for the sole purpose of fulfilling the role a pokemon from the last generation fulfilled.

I miss not needing to have nostalgia glasses to talk about Red and Yellow. Now, when people talk about them, they're all overexaggerated in their awesomeness.

To think that the current ten-year-olds may do this with Gen. 4 in another ten years...

I miss how everybody used their favorite Pokemon, and they didn't care about it's typing or movepool. It was kind of awesome how they developed a close emotional bond with their team. I also missed how game breaking Wrap was back then.

I didn't have RBY at the time (I didn't get a GB until late 2003 and didn't get a Pokemon game until 2009), but I do now.

I miss the simplicity of designing and training a team. No modern EV system, no natures. Simply battle and level up. I can build good competitive teams for RBY, but I don't like making competitive teams on my actual DS games (I will for Shoddy of course).

It was far easier to complete the Pokedex back then. All you needed was two Game Boys, a link cable, Red, Blue, and the Mew Glitch. DONE. Now, it is really hard.

The music was great. I love the GB Player in HGSS and I always use it. ALWAYS.

I do really miss rivals like Blue. He made you want to beat his sorry behind, which made becoming the Champion so much more satisfying than beating (for example) Cynthia.

I also miss the popularity. When I brought Red and Blue to my English exam last Friday, one girl actually wanted to play (I said no since I was working on a starter only team run on Red and training my Stadium team on Blue). It made me feel happy and reminded me of the good ol' days of my cousins giving me Pokemon cards and letting me play their copies. Thank goodness my cousins still play!

I miss the simple graphics and move animations. The move sound effects were really cool like Hyper Beam and Rock Slide.

I also miss the Special stat that made Mewtwo over- powered and how easy it was to take down an enemy Gengar.

I loved the kinda wanky style of RBY. Some Pokemon looked really crappy(Mankey), but others really had a monster feel to them that did not come across in the anime and with that doesn´t come across nowadays(where Pokemon in games look like their anime versions. Spriting RB Y style is also MUCH more fun than the new style.

And I miss how SD Farfetch´d basically owns everything in RBY. Was my favourite back then alongside Charizard.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i love how everything goes and you could basically beat the e4 with one level 80 and 5 level 30s :D

I miss the original accuracy, crit, and Hyper Beam mechanics. Made the game a helluva lot more interesting and fun to play. Still, EVs and shit almost make up for it... (note that I said almost)

I miss how everyone played as well. I miss the days at the lunch table in grade school trying to battle each other in secret so we wouldn't get in trouble. It was a lot harder to hide the original GB xD. Lol I miss total Mewtwo pwnage.

I miss actually having to find someone to trade with irl. (Not saying I hate trading over wi-fi lol, it was just more fun the other way)

I miss begging my parents/grandparents for the games/cards.

I miss saturdays at Books-a-million playing cards and the games, showing off my pure dominance. ;)

All-in-all I just miss people playing it... And being proud.

I don't really know what this "fear of talking about pokemon in public is"... Its definitly not a big deal, and nobody really makes fun of you.

Back when I was in undergrad (2005-2009) I used to play a lot of netbattle in my dorm room, I'd just hang out in the server, open up my door and play away. Occasionally some friends would look in, say thats pretty cool, and leave. They never played, but they certainly didn't really care.
My friend who works at a fortune 500 company purchased emerald and a GBA recently from ebay, and we are going to have a battle in a few months- though he is also currently breaking ff7... again...)
I was riding a train to boston with my girfriend, and started EV training some emerald pokemon (pen and paper and all) she put down her nook and wanted to play- so I started a new pearl game for her to play for an hour or so.

I mean seriously, pokemon may not be popular anymore but nobody actively hates it. Generally they'll ask what you're playing, you respond, and they say "well good,". I sincerely doubt that in the company of older / more mature people you will be made fun of maliciously. Joking insults don't count obviously. Infact, I am FAR more wary of telling people I play warhammer 40K than pokemon.

anyhoozle, what I miss most from RBY is definitly the Critical Hit mechanic in moves like Slash, Razor Leaf or Crab Hammer. Slash was by far my favorite move, slash bubble beam persian was the way to BE. Having a move that always CH'd no matter what if your pokemon was fast enough was just cool.

I miss Mewtwo being ridiculously broken, as odd as that might sound. In RBY, virtually nothing could take it on, which fit well considering that at the time it was the ultimate Pokemon. Now it's entirely possible to beat the super legends with regular Pokemon (Kyogre VS Quagsire or Darkrai VS Heracross etc), and that just feels really off. :T

Also,

^ This this this this
Mewtwo was beatable with Freeze, Stun, and Poison (Toxic). It was fun whenever you could just sit there, stack status effects, and let the almighty cook. After that, it was just keeping your wall up and out regenning Mewtwo.

Although what I do miss was every kid that went:

3x Birds and 3x Starters at level 100

After that it was just, KFC the birds, Char'redzard, fried turtle on the half shell, served up with some Ice'd vegetables.

Favorite team was:

Mew, Mewtwo, Alkhazam, Hypno, Slowbro, and Golem

Then I saw the darkness and fell in love with Tyranitar.

I guess I miss the freshness of it, but with black and white, and how crazy good best wishes is IMO, it's gettin pretty fresh still. After recently reading the horrible mechanics RBY have, I pretty much miss how it was such a weird glitchy game to get ridiculously big, and being the PERFECT age to get on the band wagon. I'm thoroughly impressed with how perfect they had made the games now though. But RBY will always be one of the biggest boosts of nostalgia for me to think about.

The nostalgia, The anime, the popularity(everybody played), the TCG(I never knew how to play but I remember wanting that charizard card even to this day I still want it just to finally accomplish my childhood dream lol). It was just an amazing experience to grow up in the RBY era. The simplicity of choosing a starter, catching any 5 pokes you liked and just raising them without Natures/EVs or Breeding. Plus the characters were amazing. The Gym leaders were awesome(Except Erika lol), Team Rocket was by far the best organization, Gary(yes i call him Gary lol) was an amazing rival, and overall it was amazing. I mean nowadays I don't even remember the Gym leaders from D/P and I can't stand any of the rivals or any of the new teams(Team galactic and plasma are so much fail IMO). Plus overall i can only think of four pokemon that I didn't like in all of Gen 4(Zapdos, Jolteon, Jynx, Gloom) the first 3 just because i never liked their appearance and gloom because of the mini mission you have to do in XD Gale of darkness because of a gloom. Nowadays I can barely choose any pokes I like from Gen 4 and from Gen 5 i only like about 2 or 3.

Miss missingno? Maybe a little? Surfing up and down Cinnabar Island, the days when glitches were passed between your school mates. Now it's just like "How do I get a shiny?" Internet says "RNG." Cool story bro.

oh i miss generations 1/2/ and 3 to an extent.

back in the days of red and blue where Mewtwo was the single most powerful pokemon of all time and it was so badass! (It still is Now!!!! Arceus has nothing on Mewtwo) and the rumour of the Dragodorie the most powerful pokemon that was super rare and people that it evolved from charizard level 100. the missigno glitch where me and a friend would literally battle with 6 level 255 snorlaxs vs 6 level 255 Pidgeots. Gen 2 with the awesome new pokemon and the 16 gyms. Everyone being into the franchise

BUT ruby and sapphire gave me awesome memories. me and some friends Spending the last week of year 6 and primary school playing on the GBAs in the classroom while our teacher trying to teach but then gave up because our "Ipods" were too interesting. Meeting one of my Now best friends through playing pokemon and him and another friend coming over on a hot summers day, me racing upstairs to get my 4 way cable, my ruby,my emerald and going into my street where we had a mini tournament and a finale of 2 vs 1 (with two games) end.

The mystery of it all.
No internet.

"Is Pikablu furreal?"
"If you beat the Elite4 100 times, you get to face the Pokegods."

There being no one to conclusively dispel all the rumors (like Mr. Google), we were left alone, venturing into the wild for hours in the hopes of finding glory. We were going to catch Pikablu and bring him to school to show off. Be the the center of attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)