What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

I never had the games when they were new, (couldn't afford a gameboy) but I had the cards. I miss trading random cards with kids at school, playing the card game (without rules of course) during recess, and making trips to the local card shop hoping to get the super rare Charizard. (I never did get it D:)
The freshness of generation 1 and Pokemon in general made it a lot of fun.
Though I guess with the later generations and being older makes it fun in a different way, but nothing can really recapture how it was when it was brand new. :)

I was literally a foetus when RB came to Australia town. But after growing up with 3rd Gen (where it started for me) I remember pining for a Gamboy. Every minute of playing was amazing, and heck most of them now are. I play RBYGSC emulators, and I miss Crystal's uniqueness and training simplicity. I've become so OC with my in-game mons I spent 6 hrs breeding a Lonely Mischievous Murkrow ingame in HeartGold, and 35 on a 30 IV Attack Adamant Pineco and 2 hrs on a Mischievous Modest Serene Grace Togepi. People around me always diss Pokemon, but I'm a freaky nerd so stuff them. But oh the memories of getting my GB SP...*sparkly eyes* I remember the months I spent beating the Frontier Brains in Emerald, only to lose and start again...*sparkly eyes two* I never could beat Spenser...Also, I do hate Gen 4 Frontier except Factory and while I love the Battle SUbway Super Lines being haxed on every Master Battle is NOT cool. FLinch, crit, flinch, paralysis, OMFG Gamefreak did you apply the Stadium Focus Energy glitch to them and apply Serene Grace to every Iron Head?

Being so in wonder of the universe that I wondered around exploring every route, wondering what was up ahead and catching any new pokemon I hadn't yet. The Cave routes were genuinely intimidating, the SS Anne genuinely glamorous. Sadly now when I play through LG, it is a lot of fun but I just cruise through the came, unable to get wrapped in the same immersive feeling. My pokemon are just game mechanics, before they were actual companions.

I never had the games when they were new, (couldn't afford a gameboy) but I had the cards. I miss trading random cards with kids at school, playing the card game (without rules of course) during recess, and making trips to the local card shop hoping to get the super rare Charizard. (I never did get it D:)
The freshness of generation 1 and Pokemon in general made it a lot of fun.
Though I guess with the later generations and being older makes it fun in a different way, but nothing can really recapture how it was when it was brand new. :)
I remember the TCG as well. I had 3 of those Charizards lol.

-The original pokemon (not shitty garbage bags and ice cream cones)
-The epic music XD
-The fact that EVERBODY loved pokemon
-The simplicity of the game

I miss noobing with Pikachu on yellow whereas he would be Lv. 100 by the 8th gym badge. And also as previously mentioned by HonchkrowPimp, the pokemon were not ice cream cones. ^^

I miss playing the game for 200+ hours before my cartridge (unhacked, though I did use the item cloning glitched maybe twice) just simply died on me and erased my file.

I miss the extremely ugly sprites, especially Cloyster, Golem, Koffing and Ghastly (which all incidentally looked nothing like their anime counterparts).

I miss watching the dreadful tv-show and not realizing it was complete shit.

I miss the flawed game mechanics, especially the unbalanced psychic type and Amnesia essentially being a double Calm Mind.

I miss Gold and Silver being released, revamping the series with the old formula, but with a much better system of mechanics, much better world, better music and 100 motherfucking new pokemon. Fuck yeah, gen 2.

The feeling of playing a completely new series and discovering things while playing. The graphics then were awesome, as well as the music and playthrough. The games were not as esasy as nowadays and they were kind of chanllenging sometimes. Today's pokemon games lack originality: they're not like Pokemon Red, Blue or Yellow. The first generations were the best :')

I miss generation 1 hyper beam mechanics
Meh, this. I joined up in Gen IV, but always thought this would be a cool re-addition to the series.

-The original pokemon (not shitty garbage bags and ice cream cones)
-The epic music XD
-The fact that EVERBODY loved pokemon
-The simplicity of the game
Original Mons: Disagreed. TBH, they weren't always original with the RBYs-they still drew on Japanese mythology for their most creative entries. Besides, how is a garbage bag not original-its evolutionary family is certainly better than Grimer and Muk. Pokemon's made inanimate objects into sentient mons before, and I fail to see why Magnemite deserves more praise than Klink.
Music: Still epic.
TftElP: ...Random misguided evangelical groups? I admit Pokemon was at its height back then in pop culture, but not all parents liked it.
Simplicty: Meh. Okay, I get it.

Meh, this. I joined up in Gen IV, but always thought this would be a cool re-addition to the series.

Original Mons: Disagreed. TBH, they weren't always original with the RBYs-they still drew on Japanese mythology for their most creative entries. Besides, how is a garbage bag not original-its evolutionary family is certainly better than Grimer and Muk. Pokemon's made inanimate objects into sentient mons before, and I fail to see why Magnemite deserves more praise than Klink.
TftElP: ...Random misguided evangelical groups? I admit Pokemon was at its height back then in pop culture, but not all parents liked it.
STOP TROLLING your supposed to add your won opinion or add to some one elses not sit and judge some one elses..... i miss how in game used to be actualy hard : (

I miss playing through tons and tons of restarts to the point of memorizing the trainers and their pokemon (for initial switch advantage) and the exact path through every part of the game. The game had so much replay value and I had so much free time.

Alot of replay Value. The simplicity and blossoming imagination that came from this game when you were a little kid. It was so much fun.

I also liked the sprites. Most of them had a more serious, realistic sprite, except for baby golem and a few others.

I remember this was the only game that my brother and I would play when we were younger. He bought a fr/lg guide when he was seven so he would know who learned what moves when, where to catch a poke, etc. We would stay up until 1 or 2, training to beat the next gym. He ended up beating the E4 over a hundred times before he restarted.

The pokemon were actually creative. They weren't a crocodile with two letter spelling changes. There was an idea behind them.

What I also miss was, these games were before I knew about competitive battling. I didn't even know what special attack and defense were. I would just slap on the most powerful TM in my bag, train my Charizard until it hit lv 100, and wipe the E4. I had a bit of a hard time sending that Charizard to diamond to send it to white, because of all the time I spent training that thing.

And the route music.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
gen1/2
I miss the simplicity of the game,
as well as being the only guy who ACTUALLY thought out movesets (my movesets were usually identical to the smogon pages before i knew about the site) YUP! battled competitively from the start!
I miss kicking peoples asses with those pokemon (i even made a moveset for missingno.)
I remember winning matches by default by using missingno. and scaring the shit out of my friends who were using their Quote:super mega powerful mewtwo! unquote and becoming known as the guy that could beat mewtwo (one guy stuck it out and missingno. KOed it, Box trick)

gen3/4
i miss going through an era of being an outcast for playing pokemon allowing me to discover evs and ivs AND SMOGON!!!!!!!! Being a loser for a few years payed off

gen5

today im a member of the site that made me more competitive than ever, my friends all play pokemon (yeah the people in my village are weird) AND ev train, I went from Badass, to outcast, to badass again!

Well, I don't particularly miss this, but it is something I do to have to worry about at more. Anyone else spend hours upon hours going through the safari zone trying to catch that illusive Chansey? Even Khangaskhan and Tauros where hard to come by. Since then, Chansey has been the bane of my existence ever since.

Well, I don't particularly miss this, but it is something I do to have to worry about at more. Anyone else spend hours upon hours going through the safari zone trying to catch that illusive Chansey? Even Khangaskhan and Tauros where hard to come by. Since then, Chansey has been the bane of my existence ever since.
Catch Chansey pro style:

1. Go to the saffari zone
2. Go in and fly out (or get out then fly, IDK I have't done this in years)
3. Fly to Celadon Island and surf along the coast
4. You will meet safari pokemon, including Chansey which can't run away from you since its a normal pokemon battle.

dude no just STFU A garabge poke? whatever

I miss that awesome feeling of beating the E4 then telling my friends about it and they would get jealous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)