What do you think is the most underrated Pokemon in OU? (Read the OP and Post #215)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^above

The point is that Rotom-C will want to stop the Volt-turn chain, so if your own Rotom-C isn't scarfed, every time you switch in against Rotom-W's VS, the opponent will bring in Landorus, forcing you out if you don't want to lose 70,25%-83,06% from EB Landorus's U-turn or 58,68%-69,42% from Scarf/lefties Landorus (assuming 4 HP Rotom-C). But if you don't run Speed you can underspeed Celebi and VS after him, so you are right about Celebi...

^above

The point is that Rotom-C will want to stop the Volt-turn chain, so if your own Rotom-C isn't scarfed, every time you switch in against Rotom-W's VS, the opponent will bring in Landorus, forcing you out if you don't want to lose 63,49%-75,52% from EB Landorus's U-turn or 53,11%-63,07% from Scarf/lefties Landorus. But if you don't run Speed you can underspeed Celebi and VS after him, so you are right about Celebi...
Yeah, I understand what you mean. It still gives it trouble though, and I find it really helpful to have around. It has utility outside of that too, like smashing bulky waters and just being powerful and variable.

I personally think it's charizard because it's got solar power, meaning it can hit hard usually OHKO or 2 OHKO anything that isn't named milotic. But there's stealth rock that just frankly halves it HP in 2, which is a shame because charizard already had enough problems back in gen 3. Maybe they'll up chari's defensive stats a bit more.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@Frogoholic

Yeah definitely! Lol, btw, from our discussion i got pumped up and want to use Rotom-C now... With which variant you have had the more success? I was thinking of either Scarf with VS, LS, HP Fire, Trick with a Modest nature, or a Lefties variant with VS, LS, HP Fire and Pain Split with a Modest nature and a spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe, to outspeed max Speed Jolly Scizor.

@Frogoholic

Yeah definitely! Lol, btw, from our discussion i got pumped up and want to use Rotom-C now... With which variant you have had the more success? I was thinking of either Scarf with VS, LS, HP Fire, Trick with a Modest nature, or a Lefties variant with VS, LS, HP Fire and Pain Split with a Modest nature and a spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe, to outspeed max Speed Jolly Scizor.
I use the latter spread, 80 HP/ 252SpA / 176 Spe with Volt Switch/Leaf Storm/Pain Split/HP Fire, but I've had success with a Modest Scarf variant too (though being locked into Leaf Storm isn't very good). I think the first is better, though, since it allows some recovery which is very much needed what with tanking a lot of Volt Switches.

A lot of people underestimate Staraptor. It's tough to get in, but volt-turn simplifies that greatly, and once you do get it on to the field... I'll just note that CB Brave Brid 2HKOs Spdef Jirachi with a little hazard support. Skamory is literally the only Pokemon in the entire game that can switch in safely and U-turn makes that really easy to abuse. Base 100 speed lets it outrun a good chunk of the meta too, and with a little prediction every mon that outruns it you'll commonly see can be obliterated on the switch. When I used it a while back, I lost count of the number of times people switched Rotom-W into a predicted brave bird only to eat an equally powerful double edge. I'm pretty sure even the bulkiest or Rotom will fall in a single hit; uninvested rotom can be killed by Brave bird with a little residual damage. You can also run STAB quick attack if you need priority. It' pretty much a faster, stronger, arguably better typed Dragonite without the bulk and with weaker priority. It's also harder to revenge because it doesn't get locked in, although the recoil will carve great dents in its HP.
If you need something faster, you can scarf it and still 2HKO pretty much anything that doesn't resist it; iirc, it's even strong enough to 2HKO Slowbro after rocks - Staraptor is just that strong. If i ever get around to playing OU again, first team i build is specs tornadobro and scarf staraptor with hurricane softening flying resists for a staraptor sweep. That sound almost fun enough to make me play something other than UU again, lol.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Also Max HP/Sp.Def (+ Sp.Def nature) Lapras is not 2HKO'd by LO Starmie's Thunderbolt. I have managed to pull +6 Curse many times because of that. Then I just Ice Shard/Waterfall the opponent's whole team to oblivion and use HydraRest when necessary.
Vaporeon is completely helpless against opposing water types in general, especially Starmie.

@fastflygon
I've always wanted to try Straptor in OU. What would you say the best set is though I've used the subroost,double edge, BB one in UU a long time ago and I remember it working well. Or would just a simple scarf set be more effective?

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would imagine that the scarf set would be most effective, as it would have difficulty effectively using a sub roost set with its subpar defenses.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Terrakion, what is it like the 6th most used Pokemon in the tier? Way too low.

Also Latios, it's the 11th most used! 11th! That's criminally low. :(

I think Mew is fairly underrated. It's one of the most unpredictable Pokemon in the game and many of its sets have entirely different counters. I especially like the Nasty Plot set since it's a pretty good wallbreaker and most teams are unprepared for it.

Virizion is also incredibly underrated - its barely hanging on to OU status. It has great special bulk and a superb typing. Thus, it's a great tool to use against Rain and even Sand. I like using the Lum SD set as a wallbreaker and pairing it with another physical attacker. Virizion can beat most physical walls if it manages to setup, especially the troublesome Unaware Quagsire that most physical attackers struggle to beat.

Terrakion, what is it like the 6th most used Pokemon in the tier? Way too low.

Also Latios, it's the 11th most used! 11th! That's criminally low. :(
These are the exact type of posts I wanted to avoid; please read the original post and then explain.

Don't forget people you can also include what you think is the most overratted pokemon within OU. So far I have heard a lot of good stuff.

Well, Subroost was Staraptor's best set in UU because Sharp Beak Brave Bird would 2HKO Zapdos, the only good flying/fighting resist. In OU though, Staraptor appreciates the extra power of a Band to muscle through resists; it also likes to have U-turn to make Pokemon that can actually wall it more exploitable. Band Staraptor is definately the best wallbreaking set, but Scarf has more utility, sweepsceasier and actually once the fighting neutral steels are removed it can wallbreak almost as well. Reckless Brave Bird is just ridiculously powerful; if you have hazards on the field, even resists are going to be 2HKOd.

Overrated = Tyranitar. Its annoying to play against but its standard Mixed set is basically rubbish, and set up fodder for all the powerful Fighting types in the meta. Its Choiced sets are good of course but its almost impossible to use those successfully unless you have a Forretress on the team to switch into Skarm / Ferro.

I absolutelly agree about Staraptor being underated. He is very effective late game sweeper if you have spin support. Another Pokemon that I think is rather underated is Raikou. It has Volt Switch, STAB Thunder(under rain 100% accurate too), Aura Sphere to deal with likes like Heatran and stuff. What really makes him scary though, is CM with 100 SpD and 115 base Speed, meaning you will need something with priority or scarf to deal with it. It can even run DualScreens or something gimmicky as CM+Reflect(or Sub). Not sure if I proved that but Raikou is nothing to mess with.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
I think Hippowdon is underrated. Sure, it doesn't have the SpD of Tyranitar or it's versatility, but as the only weather inducer with reliable recovery and physical bulk greater than that of Skarmory it usually sticks around much longer than than the rest of the weather starters. People also forget is has a good attack stat and a powerful Earthquake meaning it can function as a great tank (although I would never use Sand Force. It is pointless) Overall, when you have a Pokemon that can easily take one Offensive Dragonite's +1 Outrage and it isn't a Steel-type you know it's good.

Yeh i agree with KD24 Quagsire has great typing being able to wall the common scizor with unaware it also makes a good dragon dance counter, i use him on most of my ou teams because it has great def hp and access to recover what more could you want.

I think Hippowdon is underrated. Sure, it doesn't have the SpD of Tyranitar or it's versatility, but as the only weather inducer with reliable recovery and physical bulk greater than that of Skarmory it usually sticks around much longer than than the rest of the weather starters. People also forget is has a good attack stat and a powerful Earthquake meaning it can function as a great tank (although I would never use Sand Force. It is pointless) Overall, when you have a Pokemon that can easily take one Offensive Dragonite's +1 Outrage and it isn't a Steel-type you know it's good.
Yeah Hippowdon is amazing, if your feeling ballsy, with no entry hazards it can even counter Terrakion (although its left with like no health afterwards). It is a great defensive wall, tank, phazer and set upper. Even time I have ever placed one on a team I was anything but disappointed.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Can't believe I forgot about hippowdon, but yea hippowdon is so underrated atm. IMO one of hippowdons most successful sets is its SpD set. Hippowdon then becomes an excellent specially defensive wall being able to beat tr reuniclus, volcarona, and a lot of the threats sun teams have in general. Also due to his naturally high physical defense it is still able to sponge a variety of physical attacks.

I think Gastrodon is underrated. It counters rain and Rotom-w so good. Only thing to watch for against rain team are HP [grass]. The thing that sets it apart from Quagsire is its Storm Drain ability. This combined with its great hp and decent SpDef stat make it in my eyes a better poke than Quagsire. It walls some high used pokes like Politoed (if it doesn't carry toxic), Rotom-w (If you can avoid Trick), Starmie,Jirach and many more. It does greatly enjoy Heal Bell/Aromatherapy support.

Underated, mamoswine is pretty underated.
Its resitance to both sandstorm and hail, decent speed and monstrous attack makes it very good in OU. It has the ability to 2hko skarmory, one of the most known defensive walls out there with icicle crash after some rocks damage and the high flinch change, its earthquake is one of the most powerfull ones in the game. With Return it could 2hko most rotoms funcioning as a very good wallbreaker, it pretty much 2hkos amost all the metagame, barring bronzong, who is uncommon in OU. Also with a jolly nature it outspeeds alot of its counters like lucario, and ake sure to outspeed breloom and heatran. Nothing can really switch in safetly against this big guy. It works as a good sand counter for everything listed before. Finally, talking about partners for this guy, something to take Scizor's Iron Bullets and gyarados, like rotom-w with hidden power fire which also takes non toxic bronzong one on one. And gyarados and heatran both benefit from what mamo takes out making its sweeping easier.

I'd go for Porygon2.

A defensive and special wall with Recover, Parasupport and BoltBeam coverage. It's crazy.

Any offensive poke that doesnt have a STAB Fighting move is pretty much doomed against this duck. Setting up on it will result in getting paralyzed. It even beats CB Scizor with Superpower 1 on 1. It does dislike statuses and users of substitutes that dont have a boltbeam weakness.

On top of that Trace makes it a counter to a lot of other pokes. Nothing is more fun than switching your Porygon2 in a Poison Heal Gliscor that Toxics you on the switch. Depending on the rest of the opponent's remaning team this possible means a Porygon2 sweep. Or what about tracing a Multiscale? With Recover and parasupport that multiscale can be easily restored.

Other common funnies to trace:
- Flash Fire/Water Absorb/Volt Absorb/Storm Drain
- Natural Cure (got your duck statused but your opponent still has a starmie/celebi/chansey/blissey? Not to worry!)
- Magic Bounce
- Iron Barbs
- Intimidate (most pokemon that carry this are physical-oriented)
- Dry Skin
- Regenerator
- Chlorophyll

I definitely think Slowbro is extremely underrated in the current metagame. Weakness to volt-turn make users overlook it, but it's one of the best bulky waters in the game, and shuts down many commonly used pokemon. With fire blast it can be an exceptional scizor and ferrothorn lure, and regenerator is one of the best abilities in the game.

Example set

Slowbro @ leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 hp, 252 Def

-Thunder Wave
-Fire Blast
-Scald
-Slack Off/Ice Beam

hydraRest Vaporeon is underated..
give it max defenses and it can wall a lot of things
I used this set and it is amazing

Vaporeon @ leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 hp, 252 Def(bold)

-toxic
-roar
-Scald
-rest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)