Serious What do you want to do with your life?

Right now I want to get into community college. My parents said they can pay for a university if I want to go to one, but college seems like something I'd drop out of after a year or two, honestly. If that happens, it'd be an enormous waste of money, so community college seems like a nice place to start. I'm currently stuck between pursuing game design, music or competitive Magic: The Gathering. My parents made it very clear that they would stop loving me (I'm paraphrasing) if I pursued the third choice, so I'm deciding between the first two. It's a tough choice.

I suppose I've been quite lucky at being somewhat successful for my age. I currently have an apartment (currently renting but should be able to secure a house soon enough), in a very good job earning more than the average Australian adult, which is amazing considering I have no qualifications towards my job and it is my first full-time job since I graduated from High School.

Even though they are good things to have, I still have quite a long way to go to reach my aspirations. I aspire to be a millionaire, but have fun while I earn my money. I also would love to own my own development company and a charity to bring technology and games to those less fortunate than others, considering I come from living in a less than fortunate household.

Nice house, cars and appearance, as well as changing people's lives and giving them access to all the games and technology that they wouldn't be able to access with any other means, just about sums up my aspirations and life goals.

Right now I want to get into community college. My parents said they can pay for a university if I want to go to one, but college seems like something I'd drop out of after a year or two, honestly. If that happens, it'd be an enormous waste of money, so community college seems like a nice place to start. I'm currently stuck between pursuing game design, music or competitive Magic: The Gathering. My parents made it very clear that they would stop loving me (I'm paraphrasing) if I pursued the third choice, so I'm deciding between the first two. It's a tough choice.
I would definitely advise leaning away from game design unless you will have produced several well constructed and well received downloadable games by the time you leave college. I recently spoke with a computer science professor @ the local university, and she told me that there are fewer spots in game design (working for a reputable company) than there are in the NFL.

Being forward deployed in Japan for 5 years and being in the Navy, the only things I have left to do are finish my career and become the best role model I can for my 6 month old son. I recently started college again working towards my Bachelors in Finance with the end goal being my MBA. I personally don't care that much for college but I want my son to be able to look at me and see that schooling is very important for those in a non military career. End game, I see myself teaching English in Japan when I retire and looking forward to how my kid(s) progress.

A question for all in college now, how do you feel about the current schooling system? Do you believe it will change for the better in roughly 18 years?

This has actually been a problem of mine I've been having recently. High School and my parents has been really forcing the point that we need to have an aspiration for the future and find something to strive for or at least figure out a way we can live as functioning members of the society. I'll be honest I'm scared shitless of this prospect. Mostly because I have absolutely no idea what to do with my life; I'm not very hardworking and nothing I've done in school I've found particularly riveting. I've been working hard for the last year or so trying to develop a strong work ethic. I'm secretly hoping that since I'm very young I'll magically find some interest or something that I'm brilliant at by the time I'm older but something tells me that isn't happening.

I know this probably wasn't the response you were looking for but I wanted to share this as I'm sure that there has got to be some people feeling the same as me.
I am in the exact same boat, though I'm thinking of becoming a lawyer(how to get away with murder is so cool). It doesn't really fit me though but if I can't think of anything it'll have to do.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I want to make a living designing games. Traditional and video would both be fine with me, but since it's such a common dream I'm not sure if I'll ever succeed. I'm currently working on a game with a friend who does programming, and it helps that he is a lot more confident in my skill at game design than I am.

I'm currently a year off the grad program at my firm. I want to be partner one day, but it's so far in the future it's basically meaningless viz decision making at this stage.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
First thing is to keep my GPA above a 3.0 so I can keep my scholarship and get my Zoo Science degree. After that, head out to the US Southwest and get a job at a zoo. The Southwest has more fun things, like scorpions, lizards, tarantulas and such. Also US East servers suck. Then rent an apartment, go to work, eat good Mexican food, drink rum and play Dota 2. That is the dream for now. It will probably change as I get older and more and more in debt to my institution and other sources. You don't become a zoo keeper for the pay, rather the job satisfaction.

I'm hoping to attend a college here in North Carolina with a good nursing program so I can become a nurse anaesthetist. I really need to seriously start planning though, because time is ticking. Hopefully I'll get married and have a few kids. Make my mom proud and happy because she's had a pretty rough life. Nothing special.

Last edited:
I want to be a jack of all trades linux/windows sysadmin but have a specialty in security. After I complete my ugrad and work for at least 2-3 years I'd like to get my MSIT from CMUs information security & assurance program. I took a few classes with a dude that is enrolled in that program now and had the same IT undergrad background that I'm working on now, so that's pretty cool.

After that I have no idea. I want a stress free lifestyle but most jobs in IT are anything but. I just want to be fortunate enough to provide for myself, family, etc.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I really just want to enjoy a casual living nothing too fancy or luxurious where I can enjoy my hobbies such as this on at least a somewhat regular basis.
A question for all in college now, how do you feel about the current schooling system? Do you believe it will change for the better in roughly 18 years?
I'll just speak as a college graduate and bluntly say no, not at all. However, being aware of the education system in general will be more important than ever in order to make smart choices towards both a greater educational and financial goal. I'm assuming you asked this for your child's sake and my best advice throughout those years is to establish that nothing is ever a free pass, both literally and metaphorically, and that you have to work for it.

I really just want to enjoy a casual living nothing too fancy or luxurious where I can enjoy my hobbies such as this on at least a somewhat regular basis.

I'll just speak as a college graduate and bluntly say no, not at all. However, being aware of the education system in general will be more important than ever in order to make smart choices towards both a greater educational and financial goal. I'm assuming you asked this for your child's sake and my best advice throughout those years is to establish that nothing is ever a free pass, both literally and metaphorically, and that you have to work for it.
Essentially trying to get a gauge on how things are stateside from people who are actually there since I've been in Japan for most of my adult life. My wife and I have already finished college but I'm still thinking of the future for my kid(s) sake. Appreciate the response though.

Last edited:
Hard question indeed... For now all I have in mind is to finish the university, and after that my aspiration would be to become a professional actor in theater, since I also attend a theater school and I'm really enjoying it, although I'm aware that is very challenging to have success in this job nowadays. :/ Otherwise l'll look for something with my future degree in languages, perhaps following my parents steps and become a teacher..

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Stupid answer: I want to be loved by vader.
Serious answer: I want to become a singer or a voice actor. I've been singing since Kindergarten or so. Went from school choir to aggressive heavy metal singing. Voice actor is my backup as I want to pursue some sort of career in art. People often compliment me on my ability to imitate many voices, including a few female voices. Either way, I wish to use my voice to make art.

My sole goal right now is to get my books finished and published. After I have a steady source of income from that, I can safely start focusing all of my efforts on trying to get my train wreck of a psyche sorted out.

Reactions: tml
I want to be an emergency medical technician. I'm already certified in first aid (little field experience, but that should change this summer). I'm taking the compass this year to get into concurrent classes, and when I go to college I will most likely be taking ASU's EMT class. I have a driving desire to help people because I have low self esteem to the point of attempted suicide--I decided if I hate myself, I may as well stay down here a little longer and help people. My ventures into the field of medicine are aided by my complete desensitization when it come to blood and guts. I can stare down someone with a pipe impaled through their chest and blood running down them without flinching. I'm sure learning to deal with it would be part of the EMT class, but the fact I already can now means I'm not so hindered in the rare occurrence I have to help someone impromptu with my training.

If that fails, my backup plan is to be an author. Even right now I could write and publish a decent novel if I set my mind to it (although it would likely be an endeavor of a year or more), so that can support me if nothing else. Hopefully.

Me? I want to retire young so I can enjoy shit like traveling some more before I get too old >.>

...yeah that isn't going according to plan much. My one regret is that I never went more into computer classes at high school and college since everyone kept going on about how you needed to know calculus and shit (I still do hate high levels of math), when in actuality you don't need that super high levels of math except for some stuff. So instead I just went with what I was good at, which was business and accounting, so I have a career I'm good at at least with accounting for the state government, but it's not really fulfilling I guess, it's more something to pay the car/house mortgage with maybe a bit of spending money left over. Being a tech loving guy, I do wish I found something more oriented towards that...or working out at Disney, that would be fun too. But that just isn't going to happen when you don't even live near those areas.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to be an amazing writer. I want to work in many forms (to describe Marina Keegan her parents used "literary pentathlete" which is what I aspire to) and have cool projects (like how Jordan Hall does play writing while also doing a web series or how Carrie Brownstein has a bunch of creative stuff she does while writing on Portlandia), so that means plays, TV, novels, essays, articles, and whatever else grabs me. My dream would be to write for the New Yorker or something while also working on other projects but in general writing is something I want to pursue. To that end I've been reading and writing more (have a novel and a short play I'm working on and also a blog) which is fun. If you're reading this and want to do some kind of artistic collaboration please hit me up.

Studying audiovisual art, 3rd year atm. Not entirely sure what I want to do with it as I can go in many directions; commercial, social, autonomous. In the four years of my study I'm going to (supposed to) find out who I am as a maker/artist and choose my path based on that.

I want to grow up to be as handsome and a stud as Kim Jong Un
Get his haircut, it'll boost your attractiveness by 130%.

I'm currently 18 and trying to enter med school. I've passed 5/6 of the preliminary subjects last year, still can't beat Biophysics, which is considered even harder than some of the subjects already in med school. I really want to be a Psychiatrist and have my own office so I don't have to depend on a contract or anything hospital related. Hopefully I'll be able to move out of the country and live in Europe (Switzerland is my ultimate goal) and be able to travel around the globe. Don't really want to have a family, kids scare me and I don't think I'll ever be able to take on such a big responsability.
Also, having my own foundation would be super cool and that way I can die knowing I've built something that'll last and have an impact on people's lives.

But really, even if I can only accomplish a 30% of all of my goals, I'd still be very happy that at least I tried my best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)