What has Smogon done for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switching Pokémon? I used to consider that stupid and oh, how wrong I was. I was actually surprised when a friend suggested that and I had forgotten about my own initial beliefs.

As far as netiquette, it has probably helped somewhat. In regards to e-friends (:B), I made quite a few but it has dwindled down to the odd IM now. Oh well.
EDIT: I just searched out of interest and found a Happy Birthday thread started for me back in 2005. How did I miss it? :( It's so sad to see people who I haven't contacted in maybe over a year.

Personally I've yet to see a forum actually do something for someone, though I'm willing to bet its a neat trick.

Guess I'll see as everything goes on.

~Isaiah

Smogon, although I'm new, has helped me find out that I enjoy competitive battling a lot and I found that I am good at math. I started doing damage calculations and such, and was able to do most in my head. Like when I fought a Blissey for the first time, I was able to find out which of my attacks would do the most damage and such, or what would OHKO or 2HKO it. Pretty awesome site.

Smogon has helped me get back into Pokemon. Once the game was beaten, I had nothing to do, so I stopped playing it. But after getting into competitve battling, my teams are annihliating my friends (no, I mean they literally attacked people, it was messy >_<). I'm constantly revamping my team. I have decided to start posting here as well, and hopefully start contributing.

Smogon has made my taste in music more diverse and I'm glad for that. It also helps me keep up with my english (not a native speaker).

Props for this forum.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Smogon has given me several people that share the same interests (Aeolus is a hufflepuff), made me realize that I'm not the oldest pokemon player I know, shown me that other pokemon battling sites pale in comparison, and has given me some wonderful friends that I will be able to count on when things go badly.

I'm really going to miss it once my plans for what I want to do in life come to fruition within a year or so.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Smogon has done for me, what many things in real life have barely done.
Improved me as a being.

And, to step off the dramatic scales for a bit, let me simplify that.

Imagine, if there were no competitive battling.
We'd all be sitting home, bored, tired, lonely, posting 10 Gfaqs threads a minute asking 4 BATTLEZ PLZ FC IN SIG.

Here, not only was i able to capitalize, train in, and master a certain part of my life (the main hobby i pursue), but i have laughed harder than thought imaginable.

From surfing Tro Du Cul, Giggling at "These threads are Ass."

and reading WORSHIP THE NEW GOD, lolling quite hard.

I'm also sure, for better or worse, i saw someone flaming, and used the expression 'butthurt', which i shall never forget, in my life.

It led me to believe, that i am not the only person checking Smash Dojo every weekday morning.

It led me to believe, and affirm, that Clefable is one of the hardest hittin mothaz on the block.

It led me to admire the mods of smogon, for their ingenuity, and somehow, me envisioning Surgo as a pirate, and Jumpman, as an actual Espeon.

Basically, the time i've spent lurking/posting have been some of the most worthwhile hours of my internet surfing time, ever since i learned what Ebaumsworld was in 6th grade, then learned what a tyrant Ebaumsworld was in 9th.

I love thee Smogon--You, we--are friends, though we've never met.

smogons been fun, haha, i used to have so much fun when i first joined, stopped for a while and i suppose im comming back for more fun

its like one of those secret societies, in which, i am a memeber, how cool is it that i can come to a pokemon forum and not just talk about pokemon? very. :) yay

but one thing, although ive never been on serebii forums/chat, (i only use their pokedex) i feel some kind of patriotism, whatnot to smogon, is it because of some kind of hidden propaganda im not conscious about? because if it is, well, congrats smogon, you have yourself a loyal follower

smogon has completely and utterly re-inflated my ego..a search for my own name turned up multiple hits over a period of 3-4 years before i ever posted on this board

i love you guys so much*

* not gay**

** gay :D

I feel that Smogon really helped cultivate me into who I am. If you want to see what I mean, look at the kind of posts I made when I first came here, and then compare them to the kind I make now. I was an immature, and hot-headed douche, and now I'm a... mature, and a little more level-headed douche. Hey man, progress is progress. Smogon's made me a funnier person, it's made me a more articulate person, and let's not forget that I can now introduce myself to girls as a Pokémon master (you'd be amazed at my success rate with this, and I'm not even kidding).

Smogon has done a lot for me... it was got me into music at first with the Entertainment Reviews section, and it used to be an alternative to PokeRealm (;D) before I started coming here "full time" for god know's why. It was a smart move now; all of the community members here are extraordinary. Firebot is hilarious, IR is pretty much my favorite forum to talk about anything that I enjoy, and of course the competitive aspect has no equal. It's pretty much turned a noob into something else. I know more about Pokemon due to Smogon and it's pretty safe to say I've learned a lot from being here.

Well, I've certainly met a ton of cool people through smogon (and other internet forums as well) and also gotten into WAY more music than I would have normally. Overall smogon is pretty fucking awesome and I look forward to the many years I will spend here!

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Smogon has given me several people that share the same interests (Aeolus is a hufflepuff), made me realize that I'm not the oldest pokemon player I know, shown me that other pokemon battling sites pale in comparison, and has given me some wonderful friends that I will be able to count on when things go badly.

I'm really going to miss it once my plans for what I want to do in life come to fruition within a year or so.
We'll miss you when you do go fig. Also, just bolding the biggest truth in that post.

I've really only lurked for about a week thus far and been a member for a few days, but the amount of creative teams, interesting war stories, and strategies found in the RMT forum have been both entertaining and helpful.

Smogon has done a lot for me, and I don't want to do like five paragraphs so I'll be short.

-It has made me a much better battler. I once thought that Psychic was a good move for Metagross.

-Is slowly, but surely, making me a better person. I wouldn't quite say infractions help, but they kinda do

-Made me quite a few friends. There are certain people who don't like me due to X or Y, but that can change.

It's taught me that Pokemon isn't for kids anymore, and if 20 year old people can do it, then so can others. It's also teach me that Pokemon isn't just about attacking your opponent until his HP reaches 0.

Disappoint me.

Smogon completely changed itself from what made me appreciate it back in the GSBot days, and I didn't quite like it. I know that this community wanted to distance itself from its childish past on MediaDriven and move towards a more mature and elite community, but did so at the expense of what made me like it originally, a fun and laid back SMALL yet effective Pokemon community.

Now its too elitist, too strict, and too serious. Too serious for me. The original members of the community that I appreciated are either AWOL or gone for good, and I can easily see why. The community that they enjoyed back then has changed and the change wasn't good. The few who have stayed around have turned into dicks. Most of the new ones who came in who are now highly respected in the community are also dicks.

I think Smogon needs to become less strict, less serious, and less elitist. Quit being a dick to the newer members just because they aren't as knowledgable. Cut them a break. I can tell you that old Smogon(or neodome/pokegsc) wouldn't treat these people like jerks. I guess now a days theres no need to treat them nice, because back in the day when the community was small consisting of a few dozen the community needed all the members they could get. But now with a large community base theres no need to respect the newer members. Some examples are stupid. Infractions? Trou de Cul? Both of those are pretty stupid. Most Trou de Cul threads are stupid and unfunny.

If it weren't for the people in Stark Mountain who are there to battle and discuss Pokemon I wouldn't even bother coming anymore. The chat sucks, and the non-Pokemon related portions of this forum sucks.

In conclusion, Smogon has become too elitist, strict and serious for my liking. Any disagreeing with the common opinion on things is considered trolling, and its easy to fall in this trap because of the bandwagonning of opinions of those more respected in this community. And because of this, Serebii will always be more popular and have more users. I doubt Smogon wants to be #1 in members and popularity, as that would invite more newbies and younger kids, but I am sure deep down inside thats what the community higher ups really want.

P.S. I don't want anyone to tell me I don't know what the hell I am talking about. I've stuck around this community for years... coming on what, 6, 7 years now? I've probably been around longer than just about all of you, so spare me. I think I would know what this community is and all about.

Disappoint me.

Smogon completely changed itself from what made me appreciate it back in the GSBot days, and I didn't quite like it. I know that this community wanted to distance itself from its childish past on MediaDriven and move towards a more mature and elite community, but did so at the expense of what made me like it originally, a fun and laid back SMALL yet effective Pokemon community.

Now its too elitist, too strict, and too serious. Too serious for me. The original members of the community that I appreciated are either AWOL or gone for good, and I can easily see why. The community that they enjoyed back then has changed and the change wasn't good. The few who have stayed around have turned into dicks. Most of the new ones who came in who are now highly respected in the community are also dicks.

I think Smogon needs to become less strict, less serious, and less elitist. Quit being a dick to the newer members just because they aren't as knowledgable. Cut them a break. I can tell you that old Smogon(or neodome/pokegsc) wouldn't treat these people like jerks. I guess now a days theres no need to treat them nice, because back in the day when the community was small consisting of a few dozen the community needed all the members they could get. But now with a large community base theres no need to respect the newer members. Some examples are stupid. Infractions? Trou de Cul? Both of those are pretty stupid. Most Trou de Cul threads are stupid and unfunny.

If it weren't for the people in Stark Mountain who are there to battle and discuss Pokemon I wouldn't even bother coming anymore. The chat sucks, and the non-Pokemon related portions of this forum sucks.

In conclusion, Smogon has become too elitist, strict and serious for my liking. Any disagreeing with the common opinion on things is considered trolling, and its easy to fall in this trap because of the bandwagonning of opinions of those more respected in this community. And because of this, Serebii will always be more popular and have more users. I doubt Smogon wants to be #1 in members and popularity, as that would invite more newbies and younger kids, but I am sure deep down inside thats what the community higher ups really want.

P.S. I don't want anyone to tell me I don't know what the hell I am talking about. I've stuck around this community for years... coming on what, 6, 7 years now? I've probably been around longer than just about all of you, so spare me. I think I would know what this community is and all about.
spare me, you have always been nothing but a complete (BAN ME PLEASE)/troll. on irc whenever you got banned for your torrent of stupidity (intentional or not), you would use proxies to spam for days on end. and no, i am not insulting you for wasting time doing it; i doubt it took much brain power to do. it's just that you obviously are pretending you don't care when you DO care, and are trying to act innocent when you're not. nobody gives a fuck about you. stop being so goddamn narcissistic. you get banned from #smogon for a reason.

trou du cul isn't supposed to be funny you retard. it's just a place where stupid threads go to die. "infractions are stupid"... basically, you want anarchy, where idiots like you run free. the infraction system is there to make bad users better. i hope nobody buys your bullshit.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
if we became less serious, you can bet your ass it would be way, way more elitist.

If we became less strict I am pretty sure there would be a hell of a lot more tdcesque threads.

I think it is pretty clear you havent got the faintest idea what you are talking about. I simply cannot believe anyone would think that we are more elitist than neodome was.

Have a nice day.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just to add I dont think smogon is more elitist now than it was in the past. It definitely had elitism back in neodome. Celia was basically feeding on elitism. From what I recall joining pokebattle in my first days, there was elitism as well over there.

Just to say while some things might have changed, elitism however in this community is not something new.

I can see where you are going with some of your arguments however, it seems true to me that 'disagreeing with the common opinion on things is considered trolling' around here, which I find regretable at times. Sometimes it seems criticisms by new people is very rarely welcome, even when done politely and intelligently, perhaps because most of them arent.

I will make a what smogon has done to me post at some point as well. :jump:

edit : my post MIGHT be 15 minutes later but hipmonlee STILL hadnt posted his thoughts about neodome when I originally started to write this reply!

Smogon helped me stop acting stupid before a real person bashed my head in for stupid shit :D

Thanks smogon!

Oh wow. Smogon has done tons for me. First and foremost, it pulled me away from the incredibly noob site called...Pojo. It also matured me both as a pokemon battler and as a person. Even though I have never been fully involved with the community, I still get some of the inside jokes just from lurking around the forums every once in a while. I have laughed so hard from certain threads made on this forum that I have actually crapped myself before(I will NEVER forget ChinaPKMN...Turkey Soldier vs Big Milk Pot ftw!!). Smogon also originally introduced me to Ragnarok Online, which I now play religiously. Of course my irl social life now leaves much to be desired but I never really had one to start with so it's not that big a deal to me.

And of course, Smogon has taught me that being called fat cannot only be seen as a compliment, but even as a title of endearment. So to chaos and all the others that make Smogon run as smoothly as it does...

You're all fat. I mean, like, REALLY fat. Like 10 Steelicks's fat. Maybe more...

Also, I'll be hanging around here more often, and even moreso once I can actually get a DS and Pokemon D/P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)