1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

What is a computer.

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Vineon, May 17, 2006.

1. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I have been using a computer for the past 6 years and I pathetically still know nothing about them :(.

I plan to soon buy a newer one as this one is getting old but I know so little about them that I woudnt know where to look and what to ask for :(. I had a friend help me last time, but I dont see him anymore.

Roughly, this is my complete knowledge of a computer.

[​IMG]

so what are the basics I should know about when comes time to buy a computer? I cannot obviously go to the store with only what I know, I'll sound like a total cretin :(.

:[
  2. RicepigeonKKM

RicepigeonKKM Wait, who?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

in a nutshell, 10
  3. stonerchris

stonerchris
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

lol, yeah my computer knowledge is about as extensive as yours. uh just dont ask the guy at the store, thats what i did. they'll direct you to something overpriced and relatively useless. mine can't even burn cds :(
  4. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

I wouldn't buy from a store, I would buy online or build it yourself.

Building a computer yourself really isn't that difficult. I should probably post a guide on that one of these days.

Okay Vineon, about what are you looking for this computer to do?
  5. Kongler

Kongler
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

dude you got to get that fan fixed bro. your swamp cooler wont cut the mustard. awesome diagrams though. i bet it sticks like leonardo's anatomical studies on man. your a genious.
  6. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

LOVE the pictorial.

The computer I'm using is custom-built by myself. I bought all the parts seperately from newegg.com and had my friend walk me through the assembly because he had built his own. In all, I have a top of the line computer and it only cost me $450 total.

This is a no-brainer, do it yourself.
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

loling that's an awesome pic.
    i won't suggest you to customize your own computer with your current knowledge, tbh, i don't do it myself and i can say i know lots of stuff about computers!
  8. The HavoX

The HavoX

Small world, Vines... I'm planning to build a new PC for myself too!

And I have to agree with Jack Sparrow... building a PC is like learning how to drive (I don't know how to drive, sadly :()...
    It isn't that hard, but the results can become catastrophic if you don't follow the correct procedures.

And if all else fails, get an Alienware (not really)
  9. Chimaira

Chimaira

Uhm building your own computer is really easy. Nothing like driving at all.
    There's just a few things you need to know about. Like static electricity. Otherwise everything just fits in perfectly. It's just like Lego. Sorry that's the best I can compare it to.

In fact, Ikea furniture is harder to put together then a computer.
  10. Pidge

Pidge

Computers are a series of 1's and 0's, they aren't made out of atoms, iirc.
  11. .astrokid

.astrokid

my friend builds(up) computers i've used two of them, so all i can advise you is

buy one from a computer store.

unless you know what the hell you're doing
  12. ToP

No way, it's really easy to build one yourself. Go to your local library, and in the "how-to" section (it's under non-fiction, I don't remember the Dewey Decimal Number) find a book called "Idiot's guide to Building a Computer." That might not be the title, and I don't know what that translates to in French though :0
  13. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Inside a computer, there's a motherboard, hard drive(s), Graphic cards, Sound card, the processor itself and of course the memory.

It should be noted that the higher the GB of a hard drive, the more capacity it has (I assume you know this, however)
    The processor "speed" can be noted in Gigahertz (GHz), or Megahertz (MHz). MHz is pretty old however...even Pentium 3 has some at 1.2 GHz. The higher the number (and the unit), the faster a computer is.
    Sometimes, two hard drives are clumped up in one. This is RAID.
    *Also note the operating system too. They don't matter much, though*
    That's as far as I can go
  14. Hazerider

Hazerider

That is the best image ever.
    But yeah that's roughly what I know about my computer too. Except for the fan.
  15. Frozen Ray

Frozen Ray

I knew how to build a comp...and then I forgot. I don't really know much either...except for the fan, screen, mouse, speakers, and keyboard of course.
  16. HairScare

HairScare
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Even if you aren't completely aware of what you are doing, it's not difficult at all to buy a computer. All you need is to talk with someone and together create a list of all the parts you need, pre-shop for your intended configuration, talk with that friend again to confirm that everything is compatible (shouldn't be a problem, but will make you feel more secure), and start your actual shopping for parts. When they all arrive (don't buy individual parts from a local store, they will charge you more than necessary), start the building process. Everything comes with warning labels and instruction manuals, so it doesn't require very much knowledge to be able to put the thing together. I'd suggest that you check out newegg.com for good deals and descriptions of complete, pre-assembled computers with a listing of parts
  17. SpaceFlare

SpaceFlare

We were taught how to assemble together a computer last school year. I forgot the shit however
  18. Zero

Zero

HairScare has the best post in this topic.

Simply ask someone who knows their stuff and ask for the minimum configurations that you should get then go buy one. Here is what I would recommend:

At least 1.5 ghz
    At least 512 RAM
    CD Burner at least, DVD burner is even better
    You should really try to get a 128mb video card, minimum
    Make sure it comes with Windows XP install disc or system recovery disc
    However big hard drive that you feel you need, at least 7200 RPM

Other than that, you should be fine. All computers come with the needed stuff, ethernet card, modem, etc. I've never used my floppy drive before either but you never know when you might need to. It's 20 bucks extra, better safe than sorry. They are really getting outdated though.
  19. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Chimaira has a great point about static electricity, always make sure to tap your screwdriver to the tower before using it to ground it.

And don't forget the heatsink shit!
  20. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan

I haven't ever had any problem with Best Buy's people... they're not paid on commission, so chances are they can help you more than other stores like Circuit City, whose people ARE paid on commission.
  21. Chimaira

Chimaira

Yea hairscare is right about the labels.

My keyboard had a sticker on it that said: "Warning! Warning! Warning! Keyboards are dangerous! Please read the ergonomic manual first!"

That was a good laugh.

Oh right, and Zero...
    You definatly need a Floppy drive, always. If your computer's operating system totally screws up you need to install DOS first when you ain't gonna be able to use the CD/DVD drive because there's no operating system. Very important to know.
    Other then that, don't use floppy's. Ever.
    I once put some files on a brand new floppy, ran to the other computer roughly 5 meters further, put the floppy in it. And it didn't work anymore. Yes I'm not joking, and I didn't do any weird stuff with it while I was walking to the computer. They just don't make 'em the way they used to...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)