1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

What is the "standard" team?

Discussion in 'Historical Threads' started by lykzomg, Jul 17, 2007.

1. lykzomg

lykzomg

I'm pretty sure it has Tauros, Starmie, Rhydon, Chansey, Alakazam, and Exeggutor. But it's missing Zapdos. Did I get the standard team wrong or is Zapdos not in a standard team?
  2. Ace777

Ace777

Zapdos isn't that popular since Golem/Rhydon are whored.

Step one: Add Tauros

Step two: Add Alakazam/Chansey [or both]

Step three: Add Golem/Rhydon

Step four: Pick three of the following pokemon: Snorlax, Starmie, Lapras, Cloyster, Jynx, Zapdos, Persian, Gengar, etc...
  3. Karakura Yellow

Karakura Yellow

Alakazam
    Tauros
    Starmie
    Exeggutor
    Golem
    Gengar
  4. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

Alakazam
    Chansey
    Tauros
    Exeggutor
    Starmie
    Golem / Rhydon

Snorlax usually goes over Starmie / Alakazam / Chansey or even Golem. That's the bog standard, though.
  5. GreenPikachu

GreenPikachu pumpkin pieco
    is a Contributor Alumnus

there's not "one, true standard team". there's about 10-12 pokemon, any combination of which, would be considered "standard".

alakazam
    exeggutor
    starmie
    snorlax
    chansey
    tauros
    rhydon
    golem
    gengar

then you have some guys like persian, zapdos, jolteon, venusaur, lapras, cloyster, jynx who all range somewhere between standard and borderline.

but as Ace said, electrics don't see too much use since Rhydon/Golem are on 90% of teams and totally and utterly wall zapdos.
  6. lykzomg

lykzomg

^ Love your sig btw
    And why choose between Golem/Rhydon? Why not the other alternate ground type Sandslash? His moveset would be Rockslide, Earthquake, Sword dance, and Swift.
  7. GreenPikachu

is a Contributor Alumnus

sandslash is a very good choice, just not as used as golem/rhydon. those two are not only ground, but also part rock, which gives them an important normal resistance. it's a good pokemon to switch into predicted hyper beams/explosions. and they also wall zapdos much better since rock is resistant to zapdos' drill peck, whereas sandslash is not.
  8. Ace777

Ace777

Isn't the standard set Swords Dance, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Body Slam/Hyper Beam?
  9. lykzomg

lykzomg

I think it's swift for double team/minimize users.
  10. GreenPikachu

is a Contributor Alumnus

Well in competitive play, evasion is banned, so swift isn't really needed. but, you're right. back in the day Sandslash was one of the most popular SwiftDancers. But, as of right now you'd probably want to use something like Swords Dance/Sub/Earthquake/Rock Slide.
  11. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

If you ask what the standard team is, chances are you're not really knowledgeable enough to state a Pokemon's moveset either. Double Team and Minimize are banned during most tournaments, and Swift is a very retarded move anyway. Sandslash is pretty vulnerable to whatever is dangerous with evasion (Chansey is the main example).

I'm pretty sure you don't really need Rock Slide unless you fear Articuno. Swords Dance, Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Earthquake. You could put Slash in there for instant power versus Exeggutor though.

Tauros is really the only Pokemon I view as "on every serious team" (though I've seen ones without it). Chansey is kinda necessary otherwise you need to stall out Starmie with your Alakazam, and Exeggutor just guarantees you get in Sleep Powder unless you lead with it and get it put to sleep by an opposing sleep lead. You don't need a Rock/Ground per se but they just come in very handy.
  12. gunbladelad

gunbladelad

The only advantage swift has over other moves (aside from hitting evaders), is hitting Pokes that are in the middle of using fly or dig - neither of which you see in serious competition anyway. IIRC, this was removed in later gen games.
  13. Fire Electric Cat-Gonk

Fire Electric Cat-Gonk

Haha, I remember back on RPGamer when RMTs consisted of six Pokemon names all with (standard) in brackets after them.

Expect to see Exeggutor, Starmie, Snorlax, Allakhazam, Rhydon, Jynx, Zapdos, and Chansey on almost every lineup regardless of who you're playing with, Evade Clause or not.

I hear the GameFAQers love Tauros but you'd never see him played by an AGNPer, he simply can't punch through or outlast DT and isn't stable enough to DT himself. Persian is common to GameFAQers and can be a real threat. AHers often ran Slowbro. Golem over Rhydon comes down to how lucky you think your opponent will get, if you think you'll have a chance to Explode on something good then pick Golem otherwise use Rhydon. metagame hard
  14. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

my team is Alakazam/Exeggutor/Lapras/Golem/Tauros/Snorlax! It is very standard, except Lapras is much better than Starmie because Slowbro sucks!
  15. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I just end up with Gengar, Exeggutor, Golem, Snorlax, Cloyster and Tauros. Pretty much just straight kabooms.
  16. blackshellbowser

blackshellbowser

I tend to lead with Gengar, then use Zam to absorb Paralysis, T-Wave, and absorb special hits. Then I like something like Venusaur or Persian who can launch CH's every time. I always keep an electric like Zapdos or Jolteon hidden until I have taken out Golen/Rhydon. I always have Starmie and Rhydon as my finishers.

So usually I use 5 standards and one BL pokemon or something not named Snorlax/Tauros/Eggy
  17. JMC

JMC Old as dirt.
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I usually will play with Articuno, Venusaur, Raichu, Hypno, Slowbro, and Tauros. Normal standard play, of course.
  18. gunbladelad

gunbladelad

I tend to have a non-standard starter, and keep 1 or 2 standards handy somewhere.

Nothing like the non-standard starter catching people off-guard (as my Nidoking did for a few games on Porygon back when the web and IRC Bots were the only way to battle in R/B/Y (Netbattle was pure G/S/C then...)
  19. Metus

Metus

TAUROS TAUROS

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)