What is your favorite amino acid?

:D

• Total voters
Hey guys! I'm doing a project for a school science fair and I would like to know your favorite amino acid.

My favorite is histidine because imidazole has interesting properties and histidine is able to perform some nifty actions! Did you know that we all contain histidine?

Have a nice day!

My friend and I would have this inside joke where we would always associate Tyrosine with a black guy named Tyrone. Sorry for the blatant racism. I still think it's funny. So tyrosine.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
My friend and I would have this inside joke where we would always associate Tyrosine with a black guy named Tyrone. Sorry for the blatant racism. I still think it's funny. So tyrosine.
I'm very offended.

Also this thread is asanine, which is probably an amino acid.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Formylmethionine.

What science fair project are you doing that requires a survey of people's favorite amino acids? "What's the most inane thing I can make people do under the pretense of a science experiment?"

Ironic, I'm literally reading this thread sitting in proteomics lab After looking at proteins all day...I love them all and yet I hate them all, I have a sort of parent/child relation with them >< the favorite would be tryptophan though, because it is the easiest to see in a 3d structure and makes a good reference point :D

glycine for symmetrical reasons.
How is this symmetric?

What science fair project are you doing that requires a survey of people's favorite amino acids?
My teacher suggested doing a project on proteins and enzymes, but sounds too complicated, and too many amino acids, so I am making my poster on the most popular ones. #1 will get the center board and #2 and #3 will go on the side flaps :D
the favorite would be tryptophan though, because it is the easiest to see in a 3d structure and makes a good reference point :D
Definitely the best reason I've ever heard for liking an amino acid...

You have to be able to picture the 3-dimensional structure. The carboxyl group is coplanar with the nitrogen in the amino group. The hydrogens on the nitrogen can be rotated into a position where they mirror eachother across the central axis. This creates a central plane of symmetry across the molecule, running from the nitrogen through the alpha carbon to the carboxyl.

You have to be able to picture the 3-dimensional structure. The carboxyl group is coplanar with the nitrogen in the amino group. The hydrogens on the nitrogen can be rotated into a position where they mirror eachother across the central axis. This creates a central plane of symmetry across the molecule, running from the nitrogen through the alpha carbon to the carboxyl.
Um, not necessarily...?
The two carbons in the molecule are connected by a single bond and they are thus free to rotate about that bond, so the amino group and the two hydrogens that are attached to the carbon atom are free to rotate and would probably spend most of their time not being coplanar with the =O or -OH due to repulsive interactions

EDIT: yeah you're right. the molecule is achiral and therefore symmetrical. My mistake... I'm kinda rusty

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)