what is your favorite movie?

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
uhh how many of his movies have you seen
Nearly all of them. Then again, I am a biased towards Levitt ever since I saw him in Brick. Mysterious Skin is in my opinion his best performance. Brick is also one of my favorite movies, but it's a hit or miss for most people. The same goes with 500 Days of Summer in the fact it's a hit or miss for most people. 50/50 was obviously great and a movie in which I can relate to in a lot of ways with my life.

What problem do you have with his acting in The Lookout if you don't mind me asking? Because I believed he was the only reason that movie garnered any success. I can't see why anyone would call it a bad movie, honestly it's annoying seeing such good movies like the ones mentioned above being called bad.

I understand that to each is own, but there are a lot more movies JGL did that could be hated on compared to that one lol.

As for getting back on topic, I tried to keep my list as current as possible but I guess I could mention some others I really enjoy.

The Hidden Fortress (1958)

Run Lola Run (1998)

8 1/2(1963)

Trainspotting (1996)

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

Clerks (1994)

Nearly all of them. Then again, I am a biased towards Levitt ever since I saw him in Brick. Mysterious Skin is in my opinion his best performance. Brick is also one of my favorite movies, but it's a hit or miss for most people. The same goes with 500 Days of Summer in the fact it's a hit or miss for most people. 50/50 was obviously great and a movie in which I can relate to in a lot of ways with my life.
i'm glad we can agree that mysterious skin is his best, but have you seen manic? i think his performance there is almost as good as in mysterious skin, and his relationship with zooey deschanel's character in it puts a really weird spin on 500 days of summer

it's not that i found his performance bad in the lookout per se, just that the movie was so forgettable compared to most of his other ones that i wasn't left with a particularly great impression

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i am in that awkward place where i feel like i haven't watched enough movies to have an informed enough opinion to say what are my true 'favourites'. like i haven't discovered my perfect movie or something...

out of what i have seen stuff i enjoy

fight club
lock stock
amelie poulain
lost in translation
old boy
black dynamite

it's bad when the films you post make you feel like a philestine

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
i'm glad we can agree that mysterious skin is his best, but have you seen manic? i think his performance there is almost as good as in mysterious skin, and his relationship with zooey deschanel's character in it puts a really weird spin on 500 days of summer

it's not that i found his performance bad in the lookout per se, just that the movie was so forgettable compared to most of his other ones that i wasn't left with a particularly great impression

Oh wow, Manic is by far one of my favorite films with him and at the time I just completely forgot about it. I definitely can't disagree with you there, I am normally an advocate for that film constantly recommending it. I guess I went overboard in saying that it's one of his best performances, but I definitely think it is in the higher end of movies he's done that I would consider "good". Manic was indeed one of his most memorable performances for sure.

It's actually been a minute since I have seen The Lookout, but I definitely liked the type of role he played which is why it stuck to me. He really excels at playing handicapped or dysfunctional characters.

@Poppy - if you ever want some movie reccomendations for "near" perfect movies and don't mind the dates of the film, i could rec some to you.

I know you enjoyed Oldboy so much, and based off Fight Club you really like psychological film, but in regards to Oldboy don't expect to see anything else like it ever again. Based on Lock Stock, you'd like Snatch which imo was even better and Pitt was great.

Led Diaboliques (1955), The Game (1997), The Usual Suspects (1995), Memento (2000), Se7en (1997), Taxi Driver (1976), Mulholland Drive (2001), Funny Games (1997)

Those mentioned above are all incredible psychological movies/fucked up movies which will be sure to make you go "Wtf" in one way or another. :)

finding nemo

in all seriousness i really liked the Dark Knight and Forrest Gump, but i haven't seen many of the older movies you guys have talked about, should watch some of them sometime

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I thought Shawshank Redemption was a really perfect movie too....
Yeah I'm surprised that noone else mentioned Shawshank. It's definitely somewhere in my top 3 of all time. Saying that, I'm awful at giving distinct rankings to films, so I'll like the rest of yall I'll mention a few that stick in my mind.

Actually... a lot:

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

The Godfather (1972)

The Godfather: Part II (1974)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Fight Club (1999)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Chinatown (1974)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Oldboy (2003)

Blade Runner (1982)

Grapes of Wrath (1940)

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Griff the Invisible (2010)

Mary and Max (2009)

La vita è bella (Life is Beautiful) (1997)

Persepolis (2007)

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)

Hable con ella (Talk to Her) (2002)

In the Name of the Father
(1993)

I fucking adore Wes Anderson movies, so here are three of my favourites:

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
(2004)

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

Same goes for Hayao Miyazaki. Practically all of his movies are visual and story-telling masterpieces. My three favourites:

Princess Mononoke (1997)

Spirited Away (2001)

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Pierrot le Fou (1965)

note to self - when playing a drinking game with a french movie, don't make it every time someone smokes a cigarette... or dies... or there's a midget... or there's a parrot... or someone walks aimlessly through water... amirite poppy/eraddd/doomvm :P

Airplane! (1980)

V for Vendetta (2005)

Resevoir Dogs (1992)

Kill Bill: Vol.1 & Vol. 2 (2003 & 2004)

Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)

Dogville (2003)

Adams Æbler (Adam's Apples) (2005)

Flammen og Citronen (Flame & Citron) (2008)

Babettes Gæstebud (Babette's Feast) (1987)

Blå Mænd (Take the Trash) (2008)

Kunsten at Græde i Kor (The Art og Crying) (2006)

Out of Africa (1985)

well... based on a Danish novel

Sherlock (2010-present)

6 movie length episodes. Probably the best thing on TV.

Man on Wire (2008)

In film nist (This Is Not a Film) (2011)

If you're interested in any of the movies, give them a quick google or feel free to ask me more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)