1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

What kind of website layouts annoy you?

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by Lemonade, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM.

1. Lemonade

Lemonade instrastring
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

upload_2017-4-20_11-29-31.png

Personally, I think it's a good idea to have your website scale when the page is maximized and when the page is halved (eg windows key + arrow on Windows). Aren't these two options like the most common page widths? Max for the size, half so you can have multiple windows open at once. I use the latter a lot, so I get pretty annoyed at all these sites where there's a sideways scroll bar that cuts off some of the page. On my laptop (1920x1080, regular browser zoom) this happens on sites like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch (doesn't have a scroll, it just cuts stuff off), etc. Am I missing something? Does no one test their pages on half screens or something??

What else bothers you?
  2. Lemonade

Lemonade instrastring
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sites with unprofessional subtitles upload_2017-4-20_11-46-49.png

ok no one can reference this part of smogon now thakn GOD (the OP is still semi-serious, I am actually curious)
    toshimelonhead, Haund and P Squared like this.
  3. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego It is I, the great Qupqugiaq
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    GP Co-Leader

The reddit comment methodology of every comment begins its own thread really makes my skin crawl; especially if you're on mobile and you're hallway through a "thread" there's no way to "close" it easily without quickly scrolling to the top or bottom
    Codraroll, Haund and Luna like this.
  4. P Squared

P Squared su navi per mari
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    GP Co-Leader

Not a fan of those one-page scrolly websites, like these

https://lahacks.com
    https://www.truecar.com
    http://mypizzaoven.nl/

They're pretty stylish and I see the appeal of not having to click away to a different page on the site, but idk I don't like the concept. I'd rather open the About page in another tab than scroll down to it yknow
    anto and soviet like this.
  5. Pyritie

Pyritie

anything with teeny tiny text
  6. WallaceTheChampion

WallaceTheChampion

The most annoying thing on internet...
  7. kizux

kizux

The new youtube layout, everything is white without any visible borders, there's no way to access the complete uploads of a channel, and it's just plain ugly.
  8. Rugi

Rugi

any website with multiple small things that expand when you mouse over them thus preventing you from clicking on the small thing that you actually want
    Snaquaza likes this.
  9. SkyPhoenix

SkyPhoenix

Sites like tumblr or deviantart...this last one completely ruining their image layout, gets me on my nerves.
  10. Pilo

Pilo would not walk 500 miles
    is a Live Chat Contributor

there isn't a lot of variety in the websites i use since i mostly keep to the same 4 or 5 on the day by day but websites that use ugly fonts tend to get under my skin. ie twitter using times new roman for enlarged tweets a few days ago
  11. faint

faint
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Really poor/outdated CSS, e.g. Serebii.
  12. Holiday

Holiday formerly Cheek Pouch
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

College application websites suck ass omfg I can't even begin to describe it. You would think UNC would have at least a decent website but holy smokes is the student portal / application directory part of it complete garbage.
    P Squared, Kingler12345 and faint like this.
  13. toshimelonhead

toshimelonhead Honey Badger don't care.
    is a Tiering Contributor

Second only to job application websites, my friend.
  14. Lemonade

Lemonade instrastring

include class registration portals in that. It appears the people who design a lot of them them haven't chosen classes before because for example, there's no way to easily see your current working schedule (so you can see conflicts)
    toshimelonhead likes this.
  15. Codraroll

Codraroll Cod Mod
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Two words:

Animated ads.

Worse still, when there are several animated ads blinking in different rhythms all over the page, drawing your eyes anywhere but the relevant text.

I'm sad to say that even professional websites can fall into this. Here is the website of the largest publication in the Norwegian construction industry: http://www.bygg.no/
    Blinking ads that follow you when you scroll, impossible to block with AdBlock, and a design so hopelessly cluttered I'm astounded that no competitor has risen up to take the crown from these people.

Not that I haven't seen worse...
    DTC likes this.
  16. B-Lulz

B-Lulz Now Rusty and Old
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The smogon layout annoys me.

Seriously 5 years in re-design? I can't believe so many people still visit with the amount of unfinished work there is on this site.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)