1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

what purpose is there to deleting threads in a forum

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by Glen, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

i understand perfectly deleting individual posts if they detract from the thread at hand, but deleting threads seems strange to me. leaving threads locked and undeleted with a moderator explanation as to why the thread is unwelcome makes our rather nebulous set of rules significantly less turbid as it lets every user see an example of what isn't wanted.

deleting threads will stop the creators from making the same mistake twice, but it won't stop others from making a similar one. if an argument to the contrary is 'well new users should be able to get a feel for whats acceptable by checking out other threads' then i must disagree. this is a fledgling forum and there is not enough material currently available for that to be a reasonable expectation.

the ambiguity of our rules becomes less onerous as users start to see which threads get locked and which don't. deleting bad threads makes for too much guesswork on behalf of the userbase, which in turn puts more on the plate of the moderating staff (granted it is a very small plate regardless, but that doesn't excuse senseless work). keep in mind i am not opposed to deleting threads like 'FUCK U COOKIE' and other nerdrage shit.

furthermore, while a different subject altogether, i think people are being too strict on what is acceptable and what isn't. it is a social forum and i am thoroughly for the idea of making people feel like they're allowed to be social. threads about siblings, while bordering on pc++, are not harmful. i do agree that pc++ in interesting threads are troublesome; if i were looking through a thread that i expected to be full of insight and i found stupid posts i would be unhappy. if, however, i were looking through a thread about people's brothers and sisters i would not demand essays worth of anecdotes. i would expect more casual posts as it is a casual topic.

i think as long as insubstantial posts are kept out of substantial threads, there is no problem. you never know when a pokefan might get his introduction to the social aspect of this community in a thread where he can post about his brothers and sisters, only to find that there is much meritorious discussion elsewhere and start being a contributing member of 'a forum'.

please post your thoughts on either topic
  2. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

wait, which forum?
  3. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I can only assume the OP is referring to 'any' forum, and he cannot see the merit in deleting unsightly threads, then I don't see why he has the forum status he does.

Have a nice day.
  4. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

What about editing some examples into the rules post with hide tags. Ex:

bad thread (open)
    stupid idea, unreadable, etc

A couple of these would probably serve as a good guideline. And then delete bad threads like what's happening now.

idk just a suggestion
  5. alex

alex the best stuff on earth
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

your real name isn't even glen, so i don't understand why you expect anything you say to hold any credence.
  6. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

Keeping bad threads visible, in forums where many threads are posted daily (RMT and UT are good examples), just makes good threads fall on the second page with no one reading them.

Also, maybe it's just me but it's a punch in the eye when you open a forum and see a plethora of stupid threads locked on the first page.
  7. Swaggersaurus

is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

ohhhh, this is about rmt isn't it.
  8. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

asdsdcfvgibhkm;l
  9. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

FUCK U GLEN (actually i pretty much agree with what you're saying, locked threads seem to fall off the first page in about six hours)
  10. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I've never been a big fan of visible locked threads, for purposes of saying "Don't do this". I generally close threads when they are "done" (ie. good threads where the conversation has run its course). When threads never should have been there in the first place, I delete them. Yes, there is a certain visible deterrent to having locked threads with a mod post at the bottom that says, "This is crap. Locked." -- but that assumes that people bother to look at the crap thread anyway. There are many bad users that just read the thread titles, don't look at the lock icon, don't read any of the posts, if they do read posts it's only the OP or so, and they make assumptions that such threads are acceptable.

We got this in spades in the CAP forum (where noob traffic is high) when people would make "Here's my kewl new pokemon" threads. Every time a mod locked the thread and left it there for a while, it would breed other similar threads from other noobs. The best way to cut it out, was to delete them immediately.

I don't know if the same situation will apply to any forum; I trust the mods there to make that determination.
  11. Swaggersaurus

a) use your words..

and b) so what?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)