1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

What warrants "infraction" vs. deletion?

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by david stone, Jun 23, 2007.

1. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It would be really helpful to me if you guys could post examples of a kind of post you would infract for, compared to the kind of post you would just delete without infraction (if there is such a thing).
  2. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Generally, if someone seems like they made an honest mistake, or if they're new (and they haven't done something really retarded), I try to give them the benefit of a doubt and avoid the infraction. For me, an infraction sends a message that the user needs to shape up or they're on the road to banland (or they're just plain bad and need to be gotten rid of).
  3. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Yeah what Misty said. If I see it's one of the user's first few posts I generally correct them, point them in the direction of the rules and that's that. If they're being genuinely stupid then I'll infract them. No need to be too trigger happy on the new users since sometimes it's just a simple mistake.
  4. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

In my opinion, the worst thing you can do as a moderator is be trigger happy. Like the others said, if it is a new user and an honest mistake, point them in the right direction. If it is a seasoned user that should know better, or someone you suspect is a troll, infract their ass.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)