Project What's His Last? v5 (Week 13: Manectric Offense)

And this round's winner is Infernal and her Hippowdon! Congrats to her for her 4th entry in the hall of fame!

The "correct" answer for this round is...:

CountRiario (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Explanation:

Jamvad's a god.
New team will be up shortly!

Last edited:
NEW TEAM:
Mega-Lopunny + Specs Hydreigon Bulky Offense
built by TDK

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 52 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Fun build based around abusing Hydreigon's stellar wallbreaking power to muscle past the fat builds premiere offense-breaker Lopunny finds itself struggling with. Heatran provides rocks support while checking Clef, a major threat to the core of Lop + Hydra. Slowbro provides a wincon, Keldeo switchin, and sand offense check all rolled into one, which is fantastic because the build definitely appreciates that kind of stellar role compression. Finally, Scarf-Landorus-T provides a counterplay to Mega-Pinsir as well as general speed control, which the build appreciates as Lopunny is the only 'mon sitting at a speed stat above base 95.

So... what's his last?

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

Thundurus provides this team with a better check to stuff like Torn-T while pressuring fat waters more than anything else on this team really and also providing speed control to stop stuff like EQ ZardX from 6-0ing since Slowbro isn't twave and dd + 3 atks mgyara from going to town, letting them be revenge killed by mega lop significantly more easily.

Last edited:

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Stun Spore

Amoonguss was a nice option here because it completes the FWG core with Slowbro and Heatran and it helps with mons that can threaten the team such as:
  • Breloom: This thing can be annoying, the only thing that can check it is Landorus-T, M-Lopunny can get damage with Fake Out but it's gonna be annoying to switch into it. With Mach Punch it hits half of the team, Bullet Seed deals with Slowbro and with Spore you have to pick your sleep fodder before switching into Lando.
  • M-Diancie: With Stealth Rocks up this pokemon can be a problem to the team. If it somehow gets a free switch-in on Hydreigon or Heatran you'll have to take a big hit. Slowbro gets 2HKO'd by Moonblast after Stealth Rocks and you have to rely on Lando to revenge kill it or play mindgames with M-Lopunny due to Protect.
Amoonguss hard walls Breloom (unless NG Flying) and it's a more reliable switch-in to M-Diancie. The spread avoids the 2HKO of Diamond Storm from Max Attack M-Diancie if rocks aren't up and it's a roll in your favor if they are, it gives the team another check to CB Azumarill and it has a high chance to live an Icicle Crash at full from Banded Weavile and spore it if you need to. You can run Speed EVs for Slowbro if you really want to. Giga Drain, Clear Smog and Spore are standard moves on Amoonguss. I went with Stun Spore as the last move to lure offensive threats to the team such as Tornadus-T, M-Charizard (X or Y) and Latios.

su1p

formerly VKadenius

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

clefable would be a good weavile switch-in because his switch-in is lopunny which gets worn down really fast. clefable also acts as a secondary win condition with slowbro.

gonna neck myself if its lati

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

Tangrowth is a fine choice on bulky offensive teams like this one. Completes the durable FWG core, helps the team deal with several threats, and provides a useful Pokemon for pivoting purposes. As far as weaknesses go, Tang helps this team with several:
  • Breloom - This is the #1 weakness I see. Between Spore and its STABs, Loom does a really huge number to every member here. Lando-T is the only real "answer" the team has, and it's definitely a shaky one. Another response to Loom is needed, especially when the team is focused around a Mega Lop + Hydreigon core (two Pokemon super weak to Loom). Tang helps with this weakness nicely.
  • Mega Diancie - Another annoying Pokemon for this team to stomach hits from. The issue stems from the natural Fairy weakness a core with Hydreigon + Mega Lop brings. With an AV, Tang can actually check Mega Diancie rather well, taking 31.9 - 37.8% and 33.6 - 40% from Moonblast and Diamond Storm, respectively.
  • Mega Alakazam - Between Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Focus, Mega Zam can KO or 2HKO the whole team and prove hard to maneuver around. The team has some answers between Mega Lop's priority and Lando-T's speed, but nothing can switch in safely here. Protect variants also complicate things, and these methods of counter play don't really change how threatening Mega Zam can be once it's in safely. Lando-T is already pressured to deal with so many offensive threats for this team (Mega Gyara as another example), so a partner to relieve its pressure would be nice. AV Tang fits the bill, stomaching Psychic surprisingly well (32.9 - 38.8%) and doubling up as a check to many of the threats Lando-T is entrusted to deal with.
  • Manaphy - I can see the standard Tail Glow + 3 attacks Manaphy being super threatening too. For example, after a Tail Glow on something like Slowbro or Tran, the team can end up losing around 2 Pokemon before Mega Lop and Lando-T can revenge kill back. Tang can actually tank a +3 Ice Beam from Manaphy (72.7 - 86.1%) and kill back with Leaf Storm after SR (89.7 - 105.5%). Having Tang on the team is thus useful to help the team avoid losing one too many Pokemon.
Overall, Tang is a helpful Pokemon for this team to have because it's able to patch up some notable weaknesses. Being able to use Tang as a way of pivoting versus certain threats is also useful here, especially versus threats the team dislikes switching into (Mega Gardevoir, Azu, Thund-I, and so on). Other useful applications of Tang's pivoting abilities include 1. checking Keld and taking away some pressure from Slowbro, and 2. being able to even stomach a DM from Latios if necessary (49.2 - 58.1%), which is useful versus the increasingly popular Surf variants capable of threatening Tran. The ground resistance is also useful on a team where Lando-T isn't defensive, which naturally makes Pokemon like Exca more threatening.

Last edited:

H.M.N.I.P

https://youtu.be/pIr6TjG7Rko
is a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Ability: Iron Barbs ** Last One (Standing)
Relaxed Nature | 252 HP / 88 Def. / 168 Sp.Def.
• Spikes
• Leech Seed
• Power Whip
• Gyro Ball

When I first saw the team, I instantly thought that last member would have been a
type since in this case it can complete the Fire, Water & Grass core with Heatran and Slowbro. There are also more reasons behind this choice, I'm now going to explain them step by step:

• First of all, I think that TDK's team was lacking of the Spikes support. Both Lopunny and Hydreigon really appreciates its job in providing more hazards since they can help those two main sweepers of the team in having an easier job on doing massive pressure and damage. Thanks to his bulk and the presence of two others strong backbone mons, it can easily find the right time for setting up, even in late game.
  • Another important thing to not understimate is its perfect synergy with the other bulky backbone mons which in this case are Slowbro and Heatran. In fact Ferrothorn can easily take
    and
    types, while Slowbro is able to take
    and
    types for it. Speaking about Heatran, while it can take
    and threatning
    and
    types for Ferrothorn, this one can take
    and it can also be a check for
    and
    types.
  • Lastly it is a check for threatning mons for this core, the first one that came in my mind is Mega Gyarados, which after a Dragon Dance with Rocks up on your field can easily destroy the other mons. It also checks threats like Mega Slowbro or Mega Diancie, which are also threatning for the rest of the team.
To sum up I think that Ferrothorn is the perfect partner for this team. Its great bulk, the access for hazards and its great synergy with the backbone, perfectly fits in here. It pivots on many things in this meta, so that's a really nice plus. Furthermore it can even check mons that do not have the right coverage (ex. Hidden Power Fire Manaphy or Latios, non Focus Blast Thundurus and non Flamethrower Clefable if Heatran is down.). Knowing TDK last one is probably Quiver Dance Vivillon but w/e, I've tried anyways.:toast:

Submissions close when this post is 10 hours old! Submit soon if you'd like to contribute!

Final tallies:

||

|||
||||

The winner is H.M.N.I.P and their Ferrothorn! Congrats, fam!

The actual last of this build is...:

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

TDK's Reasoning:

HMNIP will be getting an additional point in the hall of fame for correctly guessing!

New team will be up soon-ish!

NEW TEAM:

Charizard X Bulky Offense
built by Nedor

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Focus Blast

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Charizard X is the focal point of the team, using Roost to keep itself healthy during the midgame so that it can eventually set up and sweep. Starmie provides Rapid Spin and lures out Slowbro with Thunderbolt, which could otherwise be a big nuisance with Thunder Wave. Since the team needs breaking power and loses to Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Choice Specs Keldeo is in the next slot. Focus Blast can OHKO standard Rotom-W, which could be quite annoying with Volt Switch. Landorus-Therian is used as a blanket check to Mega Lopunny, Excadrill, opposing Charizard X, and Mega Pinsir + Talonflame to some extent. The team's own Choice Scarf Tyranitar provides Pursuit support against Latios for Keldeo and Starmie to some extent. It can also check both Mega Pinsir and Talonflame in addition to Thundurus, provided that it isn't fully paralyzed by Thunder Wave.

But what's his last?

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

I think Ferrothorn may fit there since it completes a FWG core (the team actually has 2 waters), gives more bulk and defensive synergy to the team and also Spikes support as Landorus-T already has stealth rock. This pokemon checks Kyurem-B, some Clefable sets, Mega Diancie, Rotom-W and i decided to put Chople Berry as the team struggles with Azumarill and with Chople Berry it's a better check to it to reduce the damage from Superpower plus that helps with Focus Blast from Mega Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam, two pokemon that can be really annoying for the team.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Lots of steels that can check diancie, garde, clef, and zam work here tbh but rachi is nice for keeping up momentum with u-turn and lando appreciates healing wish to avoid being overwhelmed by sand and lop and whatever while zard can utilize it to find a secondary chance to sweep. Team has fblast keld and a bit of bulk on zard which makes me think the last doesnt do a ton to fix the rotom problem further making me believe scarf rachi is the actual last.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it's Ferrothorn but as it's taken I'll do Klefki

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic / Magnet Rise

Klefki does a nice job of dealing with Mega Diancie. Due to the team not really fearing Mega Sableye or Garchomp or anything of the like I didn't feel like Fairy-type coverage was particularly necessary, and Klefki doesn't really fear TankChomp regardless of it's choice of fourth move because Toxic does a good job of wearing it down whereas Magnet Rise means that it's only way of damaging you is Fire Blast, which you can p. consistently lay spikes on due to uninvested, itemless, negative-natured Fire Blast is weak. I think Magnet Rise is pretty poor on Klefki nowadays anyway as Toxic achieves most of what it does and Earth Power Diancie isn't good relative to HP Fire given that Heatran gets 2HKOed by max attack Diamond Storm anyway, but said move has some merit on this team specifically for Earth Power Diancie regardless of how rare it is. In addition to it fucking with Diancie between Flash Cannon and a potential Magnet Rise, Klefki does a really nice job as a spiker, being able to lay them repeatedly and reliably due to Prankster.

Last edited:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

I think skarmory goes well as it plus up the fairy weakness pretty well and provides a nice wall to things like clefable it also provides more hazard and whirlwind meaning the pokemon can be weakened faster for the late game sweep by Zard x also provides a nice dragon steel ground core with lando-t and zard x and help check even more thing like mega diancie and checking lot of dragon type over all I think it rounds of the team pretty nicely since the team has spin over defog the hazard stacking works very well and put also of thing in range of zard x and attacks from spec keldeo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)