What's it like where you live?

I live in the city which we took from the Byzantines 563 years ago.
The weather right now is unbearable. It's so humid here that sometimes it rains while the sun is still up! Some cities placed on the north-east of the country are having snowfall, but they also have problems with wild boars so I guess it breaks even. Thankfully, June is drawing near so we'll have short rainfall in the evenings.

The city looks so beautiful in the evenings, so beautiful that people watch the city from their balconies and listen to the sound of rain. I wish we had more forests, tough. We only have a handful of parks and a single deciduous forest left in the whole city.

We have some really nice missionary high schools. We also have schools that are built by social movements, those schools excel at raising people to attend for jobs like naval engineering and bio-engineering. So many students go to universities abroad because of the strong references given by these schools and social movements. Whoever you ask will claim that they have a degree in something, but not all of them could find jobs, there's serious competition for that. Those who can't find jobs usually turn their faces towards Europe. Since Europe now has a huge number of immigrants, they can do marketing aimed at them.

Sadly, the folks living here get colder and colder. Ever since we were struck by the third wave of immigrants, we lost what was left of our trust in strangers. The natives who could leave started to move into the coastal cities. We also have a new prime minister now, and no one doubts that he is being lead by someone else. We've been humiliated and embarassed by our government, so the people who study or work abroad suffer serious problems and often come back here. Our people usually frown nowadays. I plan on settling into one of our more elcoming cities once I graduate, to turn my frown upside-down.

Last edited:
College: San Luis Obispo, CA

If you've never heard of SLO (yes that's what we call it), you're really missing out. It's a great little college town on the Central Coast where Cal Poly students make up more than half of the population, and there's lots of outdoors activities if you're into that kind of thing. Two beaches (Pismo and Avila), are just a 15 minute drive away. There's also three different peaks in SLO if you're into hiking. Also a nice little downtown with some good old American food.

Home: Dublin, CA (East Bay Area)

Similar to SLO in the population size (roughly 50,000), but Dublin is always growing and building new homes lol. While SLO is about 85% white, Dublin is only about 55%, and we have more Asians and Hispanics. Honestly it's a pretty cool place to grow up, my high school was really new and the median income in this place is ridiculously high lol thanks Silicon Valley. I didn't realize until I went to SLO just how expensive the Bay Area is, although SLO is still pretty expensive lol. But yeah, I've lived here practically my entire life up until I left for college.

I live outside of Atlanta.
Overall, the weather is temperate all year long, making it a nice place to live year-round. (It only goes below freezing for a few weeks throughout the entire year, and it's only really hot late July-early August due to humidity.
However, it can be a very expensive place to live, because Atlanta is very much a commuter city. Almost everyone owns a car, public transit is a bit lacking, due to a lack of public funding, and the wealthy upper-class people refuse to let it spread North of the city (probably due to remnants of racism, however Atlanta has grown so much that it really isn't a problem in the city anymore), and taxis are rare and only seen at the airport.

Speaking of the airport, you get a lot of planes flying overhead daily, due to the fact that Atlanta's airport is the busiest in the world. When you first move here, it's noticeable, especially at night, but after living here for ~18 years I only take notice if I'm specifically looking out for it.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i live smack in the middle of atlanta.

it's pretty cool. i can ride my bike to lotsa nice music venues like the tabernacle, masquerade, drunken unicorn, UTC, fox. there's a blues bar within walking distance of me. lots of live music comes around. there's a lot of soul-less shit around here, too. if i bike too far in one direction it becomes a myriad of coffee shops, trendy clothing stores, and upscale small portioned restaurants blending into each other. all of the above manned by men with tight fit jeans, excellent boots, and well developed beards. sometimes they have undercuts instead or in addition to the previous.

I also shop at the murder kroger for my groceries.

There's a lot of sirens, police, ambulance, fire trucks, and etc. Weird coming from someone who was raised in the country. I actually don't think there's a ton of culture in atlanta but then again i'm not into the hip hop scene and i think that's a pretty nascent thing around here so i could just be uninformed. Or maybe it isn't and i'm double uninformed.

Cookout is god's gift to mankind, holla at me if you agree. Also terrapin even though that's an athens thing i'll claim it under the umbrella of georgia.

I live in possibly the most podunk town in Illinois, and on the far outskirts of it at that. I wouldn't recommend country living if you want any semblance of a modern life; the internet here sucks, and I'm 20 minutes from work and 30 minutes from school or any friends so I'm stuck on social media mostly. Living with my parents for free is better than the alternative though

I live in the city which we took from the Byzantines 563 years ago.
The weather right now is unbearable. It's so humid here that sometimes it rains while the sun is still up! The weather changed so drastically 9 years ago. back then, humidity would be gone by March. Thankfully, June is drawing near so we'll have short rainfall in the evenings. The city looks so beautiful in the evenings, so beautiful that people watch the city from their balconies and listen to the sound of rain. I wish we had more forests, tough. We only have a handful of parks and a single deciduous forest left in the whole city.

We have some really nice missionary high schools. We also have schools that are built by social movements, those schools excel at raising people to attend for jobs like naval engineering and bio-engineering. So many students go to universities abroad because of the strong references given by these schools and social movements. Whoever you ask will claim that they have a degree in something, but not all of them could find jobs, there's serious competition for that. Those who can't find jobs usually turn their faces towards Europe. Since Europe now has a huge number of immigrants, they can do marketing aimed at them.

Sadly, the folks living here get colder and colder. Ever since we were struck by the third wave of immigrants, we lost what was left of our trust in strangers. The natives who could leave started to move into the coastal cities. We also have a new prime minister now, and no one doubts that he is being lead by someone else. We've been humiliated and embarassed by our government, so the people who study or work abroad suffer serious problems and often come back here. Our people usually frown nowadays. I plan on settling into one of our more elcoming cities once I graduate, to turn my frown upside-down.
Ooh someone else from Istanbul!

I actually quite like it here. The Bosphorus (that photo is from my uni!) and the old city are very beautiful, and there is always stuff to do and see. Lots of cultural/historical landmarks, it's the center for education and theatre/art/sports etc, crime is rather low for a city of such size, food is absolutely great, you can fish any time you want if you're into that, beaches/forests in the summer and mountains in winter/spring only an hour or two away by car, other cities like Edirne and Bursa are 2.5-3 hours, etc. You aren't going to get better job opportunities in any other city in Turkey either. I also live in a rather quiet neighborhood overlooking the Bosphorus where the oft-touted "traditional neighborhood culture" and bonds still survive (though people are, like, ultra-super-conservative), so I feel like I'm witnessing history, as much of the historical flavor outside the old city is being bulldozed away for "urban renovation" projects to build shopping malls and ultra-luxury residences for the rich and the city is getting filled by ugly, huge, soulless apartment blocks. Yes, the traffic is horrible (15 million people jammed into 2 peninsulas), the weather at summer is unbearable (35-40 C + high humidity + mosquitoes), what remains of the forests are progressively getting eradicated and we're being ruled by a Trump clone ruling his own personalized state with his corrupt cronies, but it's still very beautiful and having lived here all my life, I have an emotional attachment to the place.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
i live in scotland and it never stops fucking raining

the weather lately has been really nice for once though, i live on the coast and it's pretty nice when its not raining. otherwise, it's not very particularly interesting where i live.

I live in the twin cities area in Minnesota. It's a very nice area, I would have to say that I can't imagine a more ideal place to live growing up (totally my opinion, so don't bash me on it). All the commodities are nearby which is cool. Also, anywhere you would want to go is in a 30 min drive. Basically you can be in the middle of a large city, the middle of farm country, or the rustic wilderness within only a short time, which I enjoy a lot seeing as I love camping and fishing. Take it as you will (either a good or bad thing), but many of the suburban area around the Twin Cities are extremely competitive. Everyone is good friends until some sort of competition comes up, be it academic or athletic, and then everyone turns cutthroat. It does bolster everyone to reach their potential, but it makes it hard for some people who just naturally can't keep up. If you're from the US, you may know about some Midwestern (we call ourselves "the great north" now) stereotypes, and I can confirm that most people don't talk the way we are depicted as doing so in movies, but I can say that the weather here is crazy. It commonly gets up into the 80s and 90s in the summer, with a few rare 100 degree days here and there. The winter though... Generally stays below 0F for a couple of weeks a year. Two years ago it got down to -68F with windchill. So yeah, it's cold. You get used to it though.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
I live in New Jersey, it's extremely boring here. I don't recommend anyone who likes the hot weather to come here. Only nice thing about Jersey is being right next to NY.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Specifically in the big city, but the quiet-ish part of it. I really like it ngl. Everything is close because the avenue is near but there's still a bunch of trees per block and it's nice and peaceful. The summer sucks though, really humid and warm, worst combination ever :(

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Believe it or not, Canada isn't even that cold unless you live around the arctic circle & above, which no one really does. While it can dip into -15°C in the winters here in Southern Ontario, It can rise up to 30°C in the summers. I live near Toronto which is a pretty chill place despite it being the biggest city in Canada. Not too much happens here but we have a lot of everything here. Its about an hour drive here to Lake Ontario, which actually sorta moderates the temperature due to water not adapting to temperature as quickly as land does.

Believe it or not, Canada isn't even that cold unless you live around the arctic circle & above, which no one really does. While it can dip into -15°C in the winters here in Southern Ontario, It can rise up to 30°C in the summers. I live near Toronto which is a pretty chill place despite it being the biggest city in Canada. Not too much happens here but we have a lot of everything here. Its about an hour drive here to Lake Ontario, which actually sorta moderates the temperature due to water not adapting to temperature as quickly as land does.
Yeah, I've heard over 70% of Canada's population live in the south of Canada, where it's the warmest.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I am living in Ipswich, Queensland. It's basically western Brisbane. It's quite nice, because you're about no more than an hour's drive from the beach, Brisbane city, and the mountains. It's a busy and growing city, but I think it's charming and gorgeous, with old buildings pretty much all over the place.

The weather is kinda nice this time of year. I'm a bit upset we skipped Autumn this year, I wasn't prepared for the bundle of 0°C nights we just got.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The weather here in Nova Scotia is known for being incredibly erratic. "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes!" A classic expression that gets used around here. The temperature changes quite frequently and it can be annoying, especially if you actually enjoyed the weather on a particular day.

Halifax is an amazing place to visit. We have a fuckton of bars, a bunch of cool historical sites to see, and just a lot of activities to do in general, moreso during the summer. Living here sucks ass though because the job market is almost non-existent. I've had a lot of family and friends move away because of it. If you do manage to find work it's not bad, but there aren't many opportunities for people with more interesting careers.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I live in Knoxville, TN. No I'm not racist. Anyways, it's not like hick country since it's an actual city, but if you drive an hour or so away you'll probably get there. I live in the suburbs, close to my school and close to enough stores that I can comfortably live without driving more than 20 minutes anyway, but there's not to really do that doesn't cost money close by. Hiking, good fishing and hunting spots are all some drives, but it's always worth it. I'm pretty much the only non-white person in the area (not really but I'd say 90% are white) so I kinda do stick out like a sore thumb but it doesn't matter. As far as weather goes, it's really seasonal. We have 95°F summers and 2 inches of snow in winter. The sun is always shining, so people are always shady, but if you find the right group of people and you enjoy being outdoors, Knoxville's perfect.

I've also live in New York and Florida but I'll save that for anothe post in case anyone's interest is ever piqued.

I live in Knoxville, TN. No I'm not racist. Anyways, it's not like hick country since it's an actual city, but if you drive an hour or so away you'll probably get there. I live in the suburbs, close to my school and close to enough stores that I can comfortably live without driving more than 20 minutes anyway, but there's not to really do that doesn't cost money close by. Hiking, good fishing and hunting spots are all some drives, but it's always worth it. I'm pretty much the only non-white person in the area (not really but I'd say 90% are white) so I kinda do stick out like a sore thumb but it doesn't matter. As far as weather goes, it's really seasonal. We have 95°F summers and 2 inches of snow in winter. The sun is always shining, so people are always shady, but if you find the right group of people and you enjoy being outdoors, Knoxville's perfect.

I've also live in New York and Florida but I'll save that for anothe post in case anyone's interest is ever piqued.
Don't worry fam, I don't think people are racist based off of just where they live.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I live in Knoxville, TN. No I'm not racist.
I do hear quite often that this happens in South US. though I just laugh, I think it's serious that people say that someone is x for living in x place. it's a terrible thing to do and it only reinforces stereotypes. are you from TN though? just out of curiosity

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I live in Colorado. Normally, Colorado is known for having pretty standard temperatures, but lately, Colorado has been known for having its own seasons. For example, there were two blizzards in the middle of spring, not very much snow during the actual winter, pretty aggressive winds during fall, and just a cloudy, rainy summer. I like it though, but it's really hard to prepare for per say skiing or camping trips with this kind of weather, because it always alternates at the craziest times.

More specifically, the part of Colorado that I live is "hick country" and very religious. Every other car I see on the street is always a stereotypical "hick" car, and it's really obnoxious and annoying.

Maaan, a heat wave just hit my town. It jumped from a nice 70 degrees yesterday to, like, 90 degrees today, and apparently, it's supposed to get hotter all this week ;-;

Arizona for me. Hmm...hot as hell if you're not living in the northern areas where the elevation is higher (there it's more 90s instead of 100s+ during the summer). I know some people prefer the "dry" heat here compared to the humidity of say Florida, but oddly I've more preferred the humidity of Florida instead whenever I've gone there to Disney World. As much as I personally complain about the traffic here, I know it's nowhere near as bad as other major cities/metropolitan areas like LA (I will never drive in that LA freeway traffic...eww x1000), so guess that's a plus. Generally as long as you're in the west valley and more out of central/east Phoenix besides some spots, you don't really have to worry as much about crime/gangs/crazies/illegals I find. That being said I never stay at work late since I work downtown, I'm out of there before 6pm.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do hear quite often that this happens in South US. though I just laugh, I think it's serious that people say that someone is x for living in x place. it's a terrible thing to do and it only reinforces stereotypes. are you from TN though? just out of curiosity
I was born in NY, then moved to FL, then TN. Being Puerto Rican, most people actually think that I'm singled out as a target of racism, but it's really not as bad of a problem as many people would make it out to be. Of course, there are exceptions, but there will be racism no matter where you go, so it's not any different than the past two states I've lived in.

I live in Alberta, Canada. In a small city in the middle between two big cities, both easily accessible by driving. I personally enjoy the weather but it can be pretty extreme where winters will get as cold as -35ºC and summers will reach +30ºC, with random hailing/raining in the spring/summer. The people from my city are more country, and everyone here drives a truck, but it's pretty boring unless you go to one of the two big cities (Calgary or Edmonton).

Outer surburban Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Life here is pretty boring. Friends houses are all far away so I cant get anywhere without riding my bike for at least 20 minutes if there's nobody to drive me. My school is pretty close though so thats nice. I sometimes wish I lived in more crowded happening place so that I actually go out with friends, see festivals and the like but even if I go into the city proper Melbourne is pretty uneventful for having 4 million people.

Still there are good things. Lots of big, empty parks can be found close by which are nice for people like me who enjoy plants and birdwatching and bar a few seedy parts Melbourne is really safe. Its also a melting pot. Different suburbs have different cultures and people that have moved there at different times meaning that you can find food of pretty much any culture anywhere if you look hard

We dont have very distinct seasons. just sweltering heat that fades into something autumn-esque that goes back to sweltering heat. max temp in summer is around 40-45c and in winter the mininum is around 5c. It can rain really hard out of nothing for a few minutes only to become sunny and hot less than an hour later.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)