What's its Ability? [Week 2: Arcanine]

Approved by Dream Eater Gengar

Welcome to What's its Ability?: Monotype Edition.

What's its ability? is a fun, new competition in the AAA Monotype Metagame to spice up our forums!

Every week (or 2), a Pokemon from a specific type will be posted and your goal is to come up with a complete moveset and unique ability for this Pokemon and explain how it works and why is it useful.
At the end of every week, you will vote for the most interesting ability (Winners will earn 3 points, second 2 points, and third 1 point).

Rules:
- One Ability per participant.
- Explanations for the chosen ability.
- The results will be archived and the process will continue week after week.
- Do NOT post common sets or steal another person's set.
- Do not be rude
- Have fun!

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: I'll edit in
something Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Soft-boiled

Prankster Mew is a personal favorite which can support its team with priority Stealth Rock and Taunt, as well as recovery. Will-O-Wisp with Prankster is a big selling point as it can allow mew to come in on a faster or boosted physical attacker, burn it, and stall it out with Soft-boiled.

Mew @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Due to Mew's large moveset, Sheer Force is a great ability for it. Life Orb + these Sheer Force boosted attacks lets Mew hit common threats in the metagame ridiculously hard. The best part about this set is that it can be adjusted however you'd like to fit your team better.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Zap Cannon
- Taunt
- Roost

(Jolly would be an alternate nature)

Skill mew. Dynamic Punch and Zap Cannon gives your opp parafusion, so you can laugh as they kill themselves. Taunt to prevent set up + Heal Bell, and Roost to stay healthy. Jokes aside, this is actually a pretty good set. Zap Cannon spreads T-wave around since most teams don't have a Ground type, and Dynamic Punch + Taunt can slowly whittle down Chansey.

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Work Up/Nasty Plot/Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Me First
- Psychic

Pretty random EVs which I didn't really think about, but the aim of the set is to set up on defensive mons and then if the opponent brings in something offensive to revenge me I can use Me First to knock them out. It can also be pretty clutch against opposing sweepers.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Evs spread is max sp.atk and enough fast to outspeed 81 Speed, Desolate land Nasty Plot looks crazy and after one Nasty Plot damages a lot opponent team. Vacuum Wave is there to help Psychic type against Sneasel, Bisharp mainly.
Desolate land is useful to handle the weather, it ruins Water type, some steel type with Primordial sea (Ferro).

1) Twix - 3 pts
2) Lycan - 2 pts
3) Anttya - 1 pt

Last edited:
Week 1

For this first week, Mew: Large moveset, many roles, ... You've a lot of choice ! Have fun!

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mew @ Leftovers
something Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Soft-boiled

Prankster Mew is a personal favorite which can support its team with priority Stealth Rock and Taunt, as well as recovery. Will-O-Wisp with Prankster is a big selling point as it can allow mew to come in on a faster or boosted physical attacker, burn it, and stall it out with Soft-boiled.

I'll probably edit some more in

Mew @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Due to Mew's large moveset, Sheer Force is a great ability for it. Life Orb + these Sheer Force boosted attacks lets Mew hit common threats in the metagame ridiculously hard. The best part about this set is that it can be adjusted however you'd like to fit your team better.

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Zap Cannon
- Taunt
- Roost

Skill mew. Dynamic Punch and Zap Cannon gives your opp parafusion, so you can laugh as they kill themselves. Taunt to prevent set up + Heal Bell, and Roost to stay healthy. Jokes aside, this is actually a pretty good set. Zap Cannon spreads T-wave around since most teams don't have a Ground type, and Dynamic Punch + Taunt can slowly whittle down Chansey.

Mew @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Utilizing its huge movepool, Protean would be a perfect fit. The only problem I think is that it would be in a Hoopa-Unbound state, except way better. Protean allows it to have STAB on every single move, and Mew has a variety of types of moves that the possibilities are nearly endless. You can utilize Mew in an offensive stance, or even a defensive. Vacuum Wave is for a priority move, and Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Fire Blast is for coverage which is now STAB. Mew can run a variety of different moves besides the moves shown here.

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Knock Off

Mew can even run its "standard" bulky variant. Protean benefits its defensive typing in some way, if in a bad match up.

Not only does this new ability on Mew benefit itself, it also benefits Psychic-monos. You could run Protean Superpower / Aura Sphere Offensive Mew to take down those Dark types. You could run Scarf Fire Blast Mew for Bug Types. You can run Life Orb Knock Off for those Ghost Types.

Protean Mew brings a whole new idea to the table of Psychic-monos, if that ever actually happened ofcourse. Atleast we can still do it in AAA.

Mew @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Utilizing its huge movepool, Protean would be a perfect fit. The only problem I think is that it would be in a Hoopa-Unbound state, except way better. Protean allows it to have STAB on every single move, and Mew has a variety of types of moves that the possibilities are nearly endless. You can utilize Mew in an offensive stance, or even a defensive. Vacuum Wave is for a priority move, and Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Fire Blast is for coverage which is now STAB. Mew can run a variety of different moves besides the moves shown here.

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Knock Off

Mew can even run its "standard" bulky variant. Protean benefits its defensive typing in some way, if in a bad match up.

Not only does this new ability on Mew benefit itself, it also benefits Psychic-monos. You could run Protean Superpower / Aura Sphere Offensive Mew to take down those Dark types. You could run Scarf Fire Blast Mew for Bug Types. You can run Life Orb Knock Off for those Ghost Types.

Protean Mew brings a whole new idea to the table of Psychic-monos, if that ever actually happened ofcourse. Atleast we can still do it in AAA.
Protean is banned in AAA except on pokemon which get it naturally such as greninja.

Mew @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Me First
- Psychic

Pretty random EVs which I didn't really think about, but the aim of the set is to set up on defensive mons and then if the opponent brings in something offensive to revenge me I can use Me First to knock them out. It can also be pretty clutch against opposing sweepers.

Mew @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Evs spread is max sp.atk and enough fast to outspeed 81 Speed, Desolate land Nasty Plot looks crazy and after one Nasty Plot damages a lot opponent team. Vacuum Wave is there to help Psychic type against Sneasel, Bisharp mainly.
Desolate land is useful to handle the weather, it ruins Water type, some steel type with Primordial sea (Ferro).

Time to vote:

Mew @ Leftovers
something Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Soft-boiled

Mew @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Zap Cannon
- Taunt
- Roost

Mew @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Me First
- Psychic

Mew @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Votes ends the 21th april.

Results for this first week:
1) Twix (3pts)
2) Lycan (2pts)
3) Anttya (1pt)

Congrats !

Week 2

For this second week, the type I picked randomly was Fire and I've decided to chose :​

It's your turn to play !​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)