What's Their Last? - ON BREAK

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
With a narrow lead in votes, Nollan wins the week with his Tyranitar submission! The full team, as well as Nollan's suggestion, will be added to the Hall of Fame.

As for the actual last, here's what BlueSkiddo sent me in regards to his choices:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump

As many of you figured out, a floaty tailwind user was the final mon on this team. Many of you also suggested that hydreigon was best, and I did consider that while building this team, but I ended up choosing salamence instead for multiple reasons. The first is the versatility it provides with its fantastic coverage and the intimidate support it provides to gard, something it greatly appreciates. Access to tailwind was also a must, and I feel like salamence is a much better setter than hydreigon personally. Also, the color scheme really goes nicely with this team. I mean look at how nice those sprites look together!!

I'm just waiting for mega-mence to be unbanned so i can switch this to scarf regular garde :^)

Nollan, if you have a team that you would like featured for next round, please send the members and description soon, preferably by the end of the day! Thanks to everyone for not letting this die immediately :D

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I've been traveling a lot so I guess I got thrown off and I'm missing deadline after deadline, sorry everyone. Since I haven't gotten anything from Nollan, I'm opening it up to other users. Since n1n1 already sent me this team to use, he's the featured builder this week!

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 122 Def / 134 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Protect

In theory Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar + Latios sounds like a pretty good core. Latios can remove the fighting types and grass types that bug Ttar and they both dish out a lot of damage. But usually Mega Tyranitar turns out to be really underwhelming, so this is my try at building around it. Banded Talonflame lets me pivot around nicely with U-Turn, hit fairies and take out grass types as well as have priority if TR comes. Shadow Ball is an unorthodox choice for Latios but I have found utility in it where my teams need extra Aegislash/Metagross checks which is the case here. Still feeling weak to Gardevoir and needing another form of speed control I go with Icy Wind Jirachi to make it difficult for Lando to come in. and Jirchi can give Tyranitar a chance to set up a Dragon Dance. Keldeo is a really important member to this team as its my best Kang and Lando check; for this team to work I need to play Keldeo smartly so Lando+Kang just doesnt run over me.

But what's their last?

Submissions close on Monday at 11:59pm EST!

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Drill Run
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Really shouldn't build Ttar without having an Exca. Ttar is like the 6 hours of rigorous exercising that you do so that you can eat chocolate cookies all day without getting fat. You run ttar (haha get it "run" someone help) not because it's amazing but because NOW YOU GET TO USE EXCADRILL

huzzah

vote for me I have fire squads

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this team just gets owned by some well played genies so glop glop muthafuckas

Gastrodon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

sand force lol deals REAL damage and this is just the analysis spread idk but it beats genies and psuedo protects ttar from water type attacks also it slightly helps vs trick room matchup which this team struggles with so... vote glop

Matame

New Rules
Swampert @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Earth Power
Swampert and Gastrodon are quite similar, in coverage and typing. Gastrodon's niche is in its abilities storm drain and sand rush and reliable recovery, while Pert gets wide guard, which helps this team's Landorus matchup a lot, among other things. I'm not cool so 252 spreads leggo.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Team has a few not so bulky pokemon that also aren't /that/ fast and its Icy Wind speed control will largely be beaten by opposing Tailwind speed control. Seems like a good case for a Sash mon. And one that doesn't take sand damage, obvsly. Especially one with Taunt. Debated between Bisharp and this... but I got yelled at for double dark once in this competition already. So fuck it. I'm going double rock double fighting instead.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Protect

good general failsafe against a lot of stuff cuz strong and sash. Taunt helps against TR matchup as well as locking things like Aeg in sword form and stopping protects etc which is huge for a mon like ttar that just wants to hit shit before it gets outmaneuvered as well as for Band Talon that doesn't want to fly into a protect and get koed back by the other mon.

Last edited:
Team has a few not so bulky pokemon that also aren't /that/ fast and its Icy Wind speed control will largely be beaten by opposing Tailwind speed control. Seems like a good case for a Sash mon. And one that doesn't take sand damage, obvsly. Especially one with Taunt. Debated between Bisharp and this... but I got yelled at for double dark once in this competition already. So fuck it. I'm going double rock double fighting instead.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Protect

good general failsafe against a lot of stuff cuz strong and sash. Taunt helps against TR matchup as well as locking things like Aeg in sword form and stopping protects etc which is huge for a mon like ttar that just wants to hit shit before it gets outmaneuvered as well as for Band Talon that doesn't want to fly into a protect and get koed back by the other mon.
Terrakion's ability is not Torrent.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
lol that's what I get for copying the swampert set to get the right format... fixed

talkingtree

large if factual
Please post the name and/or set of the ONE user/submission that you are voting for. As a quick reminder, no voting for your own entry!

Was their last...
checkmater's Excadrill
n10sit's Gastrodon
Matame's Swampert
Bughouse's Terrakion

Voting ends on Wednesday at 12pm (noon) EST!

talkingtree

large if factual
Matame wins the round with his Swampert submission! The original team, as well as the winning submission, will be added to the Hall of Fame. As for the actual last:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Protect

I want to deal with waters and have a gard check. Also a Kang check and lando check. This doesn't check Kang lando but they don't like to hit iron barbs and I can knock off scarf so Keldeo and latios are now faster. Knock off is another Aegislash check too.

Matame, if you would like to send in a team for this coming week then please get that to me, along with a description, ASAP!

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
I want to deal with waters and have a gard check. Also a Kang check and lando check. This doesn't check Kang lando but they don't like to hit iron barbs and I can knock off scarf so Keldeo and latios are now faster. Knock off is another Aegislash check too.

talkingtree

large if factual

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Wide Guard
- Aqua Tail

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Protect
Thanks to Matame for providing the team this week, here's what he had to say about the first five slots!

Ok so, started with a more support-oriented Mega Aero. Added Latios as a check to slower Dragons, a way to threaten Amoonguss more, and as a general nuke to help keep offensive pressure up. Added Bisharp as the next Mon to deter Landorus-T from being led or switching in on Mega Aero's attacks, which was easier since I'm not running Ice Fang. Added Trick Scarf Washtom as my next Mon to instantly threaten fires like Tran, grounds like Lando, to act as a pivot, and as a more unconventional check to set up mons like Calm Mind Cress; a well played Calm Mind Cress can sweep through any team. Amoonguss was added here to add more bulk to this team, since it was fairly frail without it. It punishes Kang, which this team struggles with due to Rotom not running Wisp. It also punishes other physical attackers.

But what's their last? Deadline for submissions is Wednesday at 11:59pm EST!

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

notable weaknesses to kang and heatran, lum means u arent any worse off vs thund, kyube could also give this team trouble? so terrakion w/ taunt bc quick guard seems unnecessary. note i thought about keldeo but that would make thund super good vs this

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

so dual steel is not a bad thing, especially when this team has 3 ground immune pokemon and two landorus checks, therefore affordably runs heatran . so heatran actually kind of soft checks kangaskhan who either pups it, giving it a sub, or well at least doesnt lose to it automatically. in addition, matame's heatran can run 72 speed and rely on tailwind, thus have a bulky(er) heatran. it also patches up a f/w/g core, gives a slightly better trick room match up, helps with sun, offers substitute, and is what the team would have versus a ferrothorn so it doesnt autolose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)