What's your political affiliation?

As for me, I come in at about...

Socially, I'm as liberal as it gets. I'm pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-gun control, and an atheist. However, I tend to lean only slightly left fiscally. I think that we are in dire need of social security reform considering the amount of abuse that goes on within the system.

I also believe that, though there should be a basic health care package offered to all Americans, but a complete socialized health care system, in my opinion, would be a disaster.

What about you? Where do you clock in on this scale?

(By the way, I'm not implying that Republicans are like Atilla the Hun; it was just the farthest right person I could think of...)

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I'm very liberal across the board. And I nearly read "Atilla the Hun" as "Atilla the Hen" a.k.a. Margaret Thatcher.

ok um what the hell does that scale mean? How are Republicans like atilla the hun? I dont see how that makes any sence at all, Atilla was a dictator, very far from Republican, very far. Republicans want less Gov control, Atilla wanted to have total control. Those are two very different things.

I am Republican though, although given the present Republican party, I am moving closer to Libretarian, we need less gov control over the people. I am glad to see that you do feel that universal health care would be a disaster Iraff because it would be. It might work in other countries but it wont work here at all. Also glad to see that you notice the problems social security system. Many people abuse and just trash the SS and welfare system when they don't need it when the people that truely do get screwed over.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I've given up on spectrums that only have two axes. It doesn't take enough factors into account when placing people. I would suspect I'm somewhere in the middle, but slightly towards Abbie.

the scale makes sense in so far as fascism can be associated with the far right and communism (distinct from any sort of clssically liberal laissez-faire attitude) can be associated with the left.

i think a four-axes chart makes more sense, with each corner being authoritarian, libertarian, and then the general stances for each of the main parties (or what they pretend), being socially liberal/conservative, and being economically conservative (keynsian)/liberal (laissez-faire)

as for me, I'm at the very far left, except for in regards to affirmative action

lol i also read "hun" as "hen"
fat thatcher.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There is a big difference between "affiliation" and "ideology". Affiliation is a party - Democrat, Republican, Green, Independent, whatever. Ideology is liberal/conservative.

Myself, I think there should be three axes when defining your overall ideology - one that measures how much you think government should involve itself in social issues (social liberalism vs social conservatism); one that measures how much you think government should involve itself in the economy (classical liberalism vs modern liberalism); and one that measures your approach to foreign policy (hawkishness vs dovishness).

I consider myself moderate on all axes, btw!

Well, obviously my shoddily whipped together scale can't compare to, like, an ACTUAL compass with programming and a questionnaire and stuff, but I suppose I'm just curious as to the Political "ideology" of the Smogon community in general.

Hmm...I categorize myself as quite liberal on all accounts. With that said, I'm currently trying to learn more about finance and government so that I can better understand the issues.

Also, if you're willing to state your opinions on a particular topic of contention, like gun control or health care, you shouldn't just state it and follow up with an anecdote. You should make an argument and provide sources so it becomes more of a discussion and less of a "I'm right, you're wrong" deal.

I took the political compass test, and, aside from some of the ridiculous economics questions (I think I'm much farther left fiscally than the test says I am), am pretty far in bottom left with nelson and the dalai lama.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think it's a lot better to use the www.politicalcompass.org scale; whilst it has it's flaws [showing me as libertarian left] it's much better than any linear scale.
These kinds of things are dumb - they concentrate on hot-button issues, which doesn't really say anything. Political ideology is more about values than any particular issue, which may simply be an exception ;[

The test had me slightly to the left and slightly towards authoritarian, which is a more or less accurate assessment of myself

yeah, I wasn't suggesting anyone take the test - just that the scale [and any graph type scale] is far better than a linear/horseshoe model.

I think generally smogon's pretty moderate, isn't it?

Misty

oh
Smogon is probably very liberal, as evidenced by the 75% support for Obama, which is mostly in line with the political outlook of the American under-30 set (not to mention the European/Australian/Canadian under-30 set), which makes up the vast majority of the site.

I'm more moderate than anything, but most of my ideologies fall into liberal territory. I'm pretty against universal health care though right now.

Also, if you're willing to state your opinions on a particular topic of contention, like gun control or health care, you shouldn't just state it and follow up with an anecdote. You should make an argument and provide sources so it becomes more of a discussion and less of a "I'm right, you're wrong" deal.

It was a statement of opinion. I'm not trying to write an essay, or sway anyone. I didn't, at any point, say that I was right and that someone else was wrong.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am a Republican, and have voted for Republican candidates about 95% of the time though I do go out of my way to vote for a Democrat candidate once in awhile if I do truly care for him/her. Where I live, Republicans are outnumbered by Democrats 6-1.

Interesting that in the state primaries, there was a long line for the Democrat polls while I had no lines for the Republican section as it was like a speedpass getting through, and some democrats were complaining and bickering that I was cutting through. Well if you don't like it, then join me.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Libertarian near-anarchist, and I didn't like the test at all either.

In general, I think that the less government the better, up to a certain point (no privatizing courts/military for me, utilities and roads maybe, health care absolutely)

I think it's a lot better to use the www.politicalcompass.org scale; whilst it has it's flaws [showing me as libertarian left] it's much better than any linear scale.

Militant agnostic Marxist feminist, by the way.
i got liberal left too. that's 3 smogoners with the same stand -.- . makes me question the questions a bit, but maybe i;m just thinking too much. this scale makes me look very moderate. i'm -1.75, -2.72. however, i'm anything but moderate. i want either a true communist society, (the true marxist model, not the shit that china is pulling) or a very neo-liberal state. two extremes make me moderate. 0.o

Liberal, but I'm neutral on the abortion issue (I can see both sides arguments, and want to find a happy medium). Otherwise, I'm for more govt programs to aid the poor, some sort of health-care system implemeneted correctly, and gay marriage. I know these aren't the only issues, but I pretty much lean to the left on others as well.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
For Akuchi's test I got:
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

I didnt really like the test though, I mean, I dont really know what the difference between strongly agreeing and just agreeing, and I felt I gave some kinda misleading responses..

Have a nice day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)