When the Cat's away, the Mice will play.

Introduction:
Hello! I'm brawlfest, and I'm here for my second RMT. I've decided to build a team around Scout Purugly. It's quite the underused treasure in the NU tier, and I think the best of it hasn't been discovered. It's one of the fastest pokemon in NU, tying with scolipede in terms of speed. It may be fat, but this cat will bite. In order to help it out, I've built an armada in order to back it up! I hope you guys enjoy, and help me improve a team I'm having ton's of fun with!

The Team:

Phat Cat:

Purugly @ Silk Scarf / Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

The Cat that started this team, and for good reason. This pokemon is easily the best scout in the NU tier, hands down. The classic Fake Out / U-Turn scouting combo is predictable, but nonetheless effective. Purugly far outclasses persian with higher speed, attack, and superior physical bulk, it packs a bigger punch, and hangs around longer. The reason I don't run life orb is because I want to elongate Purugly's livability. I consistantly switch between Silk Scarf and Leftovers though. Silk Scarf gives you the power to deal heavy damage with Fake Out and Return (Same as the classic Kangaskhan Strategy), but leftovers means that the Mice won't be playing any time soon.

Socks:

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Sawk has always been and will always be my favorite fighting type. With unreal power, it can hit like a truck, yet take hits like an iPod Classic. This is my alternative lead over Purugly, due to the fact that although Mold Breaker is well known on Sawk, still people stay in with their stupid Golems and Gigaliths. Well too bad, I just permanently removed rocks. Choice Scarf Sawk has always been and will always be better than Choice Band Sawk. While Choice Band Sawk hits hard, it cannot outspeed and take out non-scarf Jynx, Swellow, etc. Choice Scarf Sawk gets way more opportunities to hit than Choice Band, and can take out fast and slow threats alike.

Shocker!:

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 132 HP / 124 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

For a long time, Eelektross has been one of my favorite electric types in the game. It can take hits from both sides of the spectrum, has no weaknesses, and is a monster on the offense as well. It's one of the few Electric types, which is as bulky as it is offensive. Although it lacks speed, it makes it up in other ways. Thunderbolt from it is hell to take. Giga Drain gives me a great way to hit ground types for hard damage. Volt Switch allows me to scout and bring in a nice counter. Giga Drain also gives me a reliable way to recover health outside of leftovers. Flamethrower hits bulky grass types that the rest of my team cannot touch. Overall, Eelektross certainly isn't the best electric out there, but it's sheer bulk and reliability make it the number one candidate for this team.

Deodorant

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Trait: Stench
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

This space was changed from Roselia to Scolipede by Ranger Dell. Scolipede was an amazing candidate for this spot. However, the more I have played on, the more I began to realize that I wasn't relying that much on spikes. And a single pokemon shut me down. Musharna. This enraged me, and I've decided to change my pokemon to Skuntank, due to its ability to taunt and pursuit trap it, as well as continuing my tradition of having a grounded poison type in this spot, giving me immunity to Toxic Spikes. I love this thing, and after testing, I find it to be the better option!

Pina Colada:

Pina Colada (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Oh my god. It's a Ludicolo. Everybody run. And run they shall. Ludicolo is the most potent sweeper in the game, and should probably be RU or UU. There isn't really much to explain as everybody knows the drill, but I'll go over it anyways for sake of 3 lines of description. I'm giving Ludicolo a Life Orb for ease of decimation. Surf is boosted to a massive 190 base power in rain, hitting like a nuclear bomb. Giga Drain is my second stab, giving me great recovery. And Ice Beam allows me to hit Flying Pokemon and Grass Pokemon hard. This pineapple will destroy your family. So hide yo kids, hide yo wife, cause DIE.

Police:

Police (Probopass) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 96 Spd / 252 SAtk / 160 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Probopass is now replacing Golem/Golurk in my Wall Lead position. And I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty amazing. For the first time, I have a solid counter to many offensive flying types, and I'm able to trap Metang. I chose Probopass over Golurk due to way more defensive presence, and I chose it over Golem due to its overall better utility, ability to give me a slow volt switch for momentum, and a great defensive typing. I recently switched over to the Stached Compass, and I'm not looking back!

Past Members/Candidates:
  • Roserade (Romance)
  • Scolipede (Scoliosis)
  • Golurk (Berserk)
  • Golem (Rocky Balboa)
  • Primeape (Muhammad Ali)

Last edited:

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi there.

First off, Purugly should be using Thick Fat as its main ability. You don't really have efficient ways of switching around against Jynx or Charizard, and Thick Fat allows Purugly to serve as an offensive check to both of them between its ability to switch in at least once and threaten them with priority.

Roselia outside of Spikes seems kind of redundant with Ludicolo for what you're trying to check with it, and as such makes you more vulnerable to Musharna, Jynx, or Charizard as it's easily threatened out by them, which is compounded by the few number of opportunities that you have of switching in on them. I would suggest Scolipede over Roselia, which gives you another way of revenge killing the three so that Sawk can clean up later, and set up Spikes on the same boat that Roselia can, albeit less bulkier.

Lastly, the set that you're using with Golurk would be made much more effective if you made use of its offensive presence while maximizing its overall bulk on the process (though you can keep Toxic if you wish to cripple Alomomola switch ins, which could be helpful on the long run as most of your offensive Pokemon appreciates the ability to lure it that way). Going 172 Speed lets you outspeed Golem, and you can dump the rest into Attack (max) and HP for bulk. I would also run Shadow Punch to 2HKO Musharna and discourage Misdreavus from switching in.

Hope I helped.

Purugly: Thick Fat > Defiant
Golurk: EV change; Shadow Punch > Drain Punch
Scolipede > Roselia (First set on analysis)

Hi there.

First off, Purugly should be using Thick Fat as its main ability. You don't really have efficient ways of switching around against Jynx or Charizard, and Thick Fat allows Purugly to serve as an offensive check to both of them between its ability to switch in at least once and threaten them with priority.

Roselia outside of Spikes seems kind of redundant with Ludicolo for what you're trying to check with it, and as such makes you more vulnerable to Musharna, Jynx, or Charizard as it's easily threatened out by them, which is compounded by the few number of opportunities that you have of switching in on them. I would suggest Scolipede over Roselia, which gives you another way of revenge killing the three so that Sawk can clean up later, and set up Spikes on the same boat that Roselia can, albeit less bulkier.

Lastly, the set that you're using with Golurk would be made much more effective if you made use of its offensive presence while maximizing its overall bulk on the process (though you can keep Toxic if you wish to cripple Alomomola switch ins, which could be helpful on the long run as most of your offensive Pokemon appreciates the ability to lure it that way). Going 172 Speed lets you outspeed Golem, and you can dump the rest into Attack (max) and HP for bulk. I would also run Shadow Punch to 2HKO Musharna and discourage Misdreavus from switching in.

Hope I helped.

Purugly: Thick Fat > Defiant
Golurk: EV change; Shadow Punch > Drain Punch
Scolipede > Roselia (First set on analysis)
Ty! I'm making the changes right now! :)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi @Brawlfest , the use of Purugly is definitely... interesting, to say the least. :)

Anyway, your team is very, very weak to Flying-types; Swellow in particular can switch in on your entire Golurk set and then kill something with Facade or Brave Bird. You really have no checks outside of (maybe?) Eel who is solidly 2HKOed. I think tank Golem might be a suitable replacement for Golurk, providing a solid switch-in to the aforementioned Flying-types and can either set up Stealth Rock or Rock Blast for the KO. Golem can also beat Kangaskhan one-on-one, another pretty large threat I see for this team.

While this next change isn't absolutely mandatory, I feel Primeape might be a better Pokemon in place of Sawk. Your team appears to be based around a VoltTurn core of sorts, since you're using mons like Purugly and Eel, and Primeape would further add to this theme with U-turn. Your team isn't /that/ weak to Stealth Rock aside from Scolipede who dies pretty quickly anyway, so Sawk's Mold Breaker doesn't really seem that useful. Primeape is also significantly faster than Sawk, hitting the 95 base Speed benchmark which many experienced NU players often look up to these days.

Good luck with the team!

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Hi @Brawlfest , the use of Purugly is definitely... interesting, to say the least. :)

Anyway, your team is very, very weak to Flying-types; Swellow in particular can switch in on your entire Golurk set and then kill something with Facade or Brave Bird. You really have no checks outside of (maybe?) Eel who is solidly 2HKOed. I think tank Golem might be a suitable replacement for Golurk, providing a solid switch-in to the aforementioned Flying-types and can either set up Stealth Rock or Rock Blast for the KO. Golem can also beat Kangaskhan one-on-one, another pretty large threat I see for this team.

While this next change isn't absolutely mandatory, I feel Primeape might be a better Pokemon in place of Sawk. Your team appears to be based around a VoltTurn core of sorts, since you're using mons like Purugly and Eel, and Primeape would further add to this theme with U-turn. Your team isn't /that/ weak to Stealth Rock aside from Scolipede who dies pretty quickly anyway, so Sawk's Mold Breaker doesn't really seem that useful. Primeape is also significantly faster than Sawk, hitting the 95 base Speed benchmark which many experienced NU players often look up to these days.

Good luck with the team!

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
While I do agree that Golem might be better than Golurk, I have a hard time using Primeape. My main concern is the low power I get. Banded Primeape does give me raw power, but again I lack speed. Also, without mold breaker, the volt turn core you were referring to could have a hard time breaking under hazard damage. I do agree that in the past, I have had troubles with Swellow, so I will go test out Golem immediatly and tell you what I think! :)

EDIT:
Alright. After 5 matches of consideration, I am deciding to replace Golurk with Golem. As Dat Blast pointed out, Golem patches up my flying weakness. And thats exactly what it does. After replacing it for the past 5 rounds, Ive met 2 swellows and 1 braviary, all of which whom normally cause me trouble, but I had no problem switching in then rockblasting them to death.

On primeape, I tried it, and Im still unhappy. The fact that I cannot OHKO Golems on the spot is depressing to say the least. I switched to banded on the third round, but a Jynx outsped me. Im going to leave out primeape, but Im definitely looking forward to exchanging Golurk for Golem.

The change will probably happen in a while, i still need to play a few rounds to get a better feel on the situation!

Last edited:
Hm, I've been Testing both Golem and Probopass these past few hours. I seem to be enjoying both, but probopass does provide me with even more VoltTurn, so does anybody know a good set?

This will be replacing my Golurk..So try to maintain some offensive presence please? :)

My Current Probopass That I want to use has:
Stealth Rock
Power Gem
Earth Power
Volt Switch

Not 100% sure on a good EV Spread

Last edited:
Pros of Probopass: fun trapper in nu. Can volt switch for momentum if i spelt it right... And on top of that he can set up rocks

Cons: rock/steel is horrible typing, weak to the most common attack types in the tier, slow as fuck.

Probopass can help you rid your team of steels if you have trouble with them, and it can also kill torkoal one of few spinners in Nu and it can set up rocks, and phase, should you ever need it. If you are going to use it, you should try this

Probopass (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 156 hp / 252 Spa / 100 speed
Modest Nature
-Stealth Rock
-flash cannon/power gem
-earth power / Hidden Power water
-Volt Switch

whatever anyway its the standard trapper set Sr is for hazard and the rest is for kicking ass however like i said probo is slow and has horrible typing, however it being slow means it can help safely switch in a poke with volt switch but it will take alot of hits except outside killing torkoal since its the only thing it can do oh and kill swellow lol, but yea you using this is a gamble it piles on to the many weaknesses your team already has

Pros of Probopass: fun trapper in nu. Can volt switch for momentum if i spelt it right... And on top of that he can set up rocks

Cons: rock/steel is horrible typing, weak to the most common attack types in the tier, slow as fuck.

Probopass can help you rid your team of steels if you have trouble with them, and it can also kill torkoal one of few spinners in Nu and it can set up rocks, and phase, should you ever need it. If you are going to use it, you should try this

Probopass (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 156 hp / 252 Spa / 100 speed
Modest Nature
-Stealth Rock
-flash cannon/power gem
-earth power / Hidden Power water
-Volt Switch

whatever anyway its the standard trapper set Sr is for hazard and the rest is for kicking ass however like i said probo is slow and has horrible typing, however it being slow means it can help safely switch in a poke with volt switch but it will take alot of hits except outside killing torkoal since its the only thing it can do oh and kill swellow lol, but yea you using this is a gamble it piles on to the many weaknesses your team already has
Alright thank you! I've tested it, and I am finding the Air Balloon to be unnecessary. Only because common Metangs, Bastiodons, and Mawiles wont be commonly carrying an EQ. But the EV spread I do like, so I might start running this over Golurk/Golem! :)

Last edited:
In your Opinions, does Primeape benefit this team more or my current Sawk. Same question with Skuntank in Scolipede. I'm trying the sets out and I can't make a good decision.

Primeape:
Primeape @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Punishment
- U-turn

Skuntank:
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Trait: Stench
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Skuntank officially replaces Scolipede. This is due to it's amazing ability to patch up my team's psychic and Musharna weakness as well as continue to remove Toxic Spikes. While I lose my ability to place spikes, and I lose my full coverage moveset, I think this is a necessary change. If anybody has any comments on whether skuntank is the "Better Option" I would really appreciate it, as I am still apprehensive about the switch, as I do miss my Scolipede.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel Spikes are quite important for this team as a team like yours tends to force many switches, which Spikes can definitely abuse. If you're having trouble with Musharna, you could simply change your Probopass to the Defensive set, who can stall out Mushy with Toxic while still providing your team momentum via Volt Switch. Magnet Pull is pretty unnecessary as half your team can deal with Steel-types anyway, and the extra bulk (plus Sturdy) lets Probopass set up SR more reliably in clutch situations.

I feel Spikes are quite important for this team as a team like yours tends to force many switches, which Spikes can definitely abuse. If you're having trouble with Musharna, you could simply change your Probopass to the Defensive set, who can stall out Mushy with Toxic while still providing your team momentum via Volt Switch. Magnet Pull is pretty unnecessary as half your team can deal with Steel-types anyway, and the extra bulk (plus Sturdy) lets Probopass set up SR more reliably in clutch situations.
I do agree that my team forces many switches, but I am finding less openings to set up spikes and utilize them to their full potential. However, I do see your point that Spikes were very important. I will see how the defensive set goes, the Sturdy + Toxic seems like a pretty chill Idea! Thanks Blast :)

After testing, I will report results, and decide if I should go back to my original scolipede. :)

mah god instead of putting flame thrower use acid spray then go for the t bolt or giga drain since it now does twice as much, it is very effective and if you run a coil set it can work wonders

mah god instead of putting flame thrower use acid spray then go for the t bolt or giga drain since it now does twice as much, it is very effective and if you run a coil set it can work wonders
Lol this is a pretty old RMT. I'm not sure if you realize this, but Flamethrower has double the power of Acid Spray, letting me OHKO many grass types that switch in on their first turn. The coil set is also not very good due to lack of a way to hit ground types and grass types, carrying a lack of coverage. Either way, if they switch out, thats why we have volt switch to gain momentum.

To be honest, Steel types aren't common in NU and so you should run Defensive Probopass instead as it still walls flying types and deals with them while also giving you some more bulk to switch into things and to do things.

P.S. I wasn't kidding. Bump. gg;wp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)