BW Ubers "Where There's a Chomp, There's a Way"

Team at a Glance​

Hi. This is going to be my first RMT in a very long time. However it's not so much a RMT as it is a "I won't be changing anything, but go ahead and suggest something anyways" kind of team. I had a lot of success playing with this team. I reached #6 on the PO Uber ladder (1605) and #2 on the SU Uber ladder (1526). Getting any higher than that is pretty much impossible. I would need to beat donkey's 11 alts and somehow manage to pass 1996ito who gains 100 points daily by begging his opponents to draw or quit.

Tyranitar (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Payback
- Low Kick
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

I would say Tyranitar is generally my lead in about 90% of the games I play. The only time I don't lead with him is if I see that my opponent is running sun offense. If they are, they generally lead with Groudon so I lead with Arceus-Ghost. Doing so allows me to get off a quick Will-O-Wisp as they either set up Stealth Rock or Dragon Tail / EQ.

But against everything else, Tyranitar is my lead. Even against lead Dialga I always stay in. Most of them lack Aura Sphere and even if they have it I can take the hit and hit it with a Low Kick. I always switch out afterwards since I don't like the idea of risking both of us setting up rocks. I like Low Kick > Superpower just for the consistency. I realize I can't OHKO Darkrai with it, but as my buddy Atticus always says "Dark void never hits twice!" Payback is used over Crunch and Pursuit for the guaranteed KO on Mewtwo and Deoxys-S, as long as they don't WoW me or something. Yes I am aware that Payback does not get it's damage doubled on the switch like it did in Gen 4, but I like it far more than Crunch. Fire Blast is there so I can troll Forretress that think they can setup on me. The EV's are pretty straight forward for an Ubers Tyranitar. They allow me to take special hits extremely well from mons like Reshiram and allow me to survive special fighting attacks like Mewtwo's Aura Sphere or Darkrai's Focus Blast.

Another cool thing about this Tyranitar is that it's amazing against smash pass. I can OHKO Deoxys-S as they setup Stealth Rock, take the spore from Smeargle, and then proceed to OHKO the Smeargle with a combination of Payback and sandstorm damage. I realize only an idiot would attempt that on a Tyranitar, but you would be suprised how many people suck at using smash pass.

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 66 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is a fucking monster. Honestly this thing has saved me in so many games. The power he has is just ridiculous. I've seen EQ hit Giratina-a for about 45% damage. Add in 1 layer of spikes as they switch in and all of a sudden their Excadrill "counter" is dead. A lot of players tend to switch Kyogre into Excadrill as well expecting Swords Dance. I always laugh when they do. They take upwards to 80% from Earthquake which most of the time guarantees sand is going to be up on my field. I like to think of Excadrill as Garchomps best friend. Both of them fulfill similar rolls but Excadrill has the ability to spin away those nasty Toxic Spikes. Although Excadrill hits harder than Garchomp I'm not afraid to sac Excadrill by spinning right away and guarantee that my field is clear. I run Rock Slide > Shadow Claw since Giratina-O is not a problem for this team since I run Tyranitar, Garchomp, and Arceus-Ghost. Plus the OHKO on Ho-Oh, Thundurus, Rayquaza, and the 50% hit on Lugia and possible flinch rate are all appealing to me.

There's nothing special about my EV spread. I don't believe it outspeeds anything in particular. It hits 512 in the sand which is a weird number. I didn't want to use the bulky Excadrill because that set seems terrible. I still take resisted hits pretty well from the likes of Zekrom and what not so it doesn't bother me much. Thinking about it now I should bump the speed up to 520 to be able to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion. Not sure why I didn't think of this before considering he was on one of my most successful teams...

Garchomp (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

"Where There's a Chomp, There's a Way."

You know in all honestly that's all I have to say about Garchomp. As long as he's alive and sand is up, I'm always confident that i'll be taking the win. Sand Veil is so broken and makes every move you make like Stone Edge. If you don't know how bad Stone Edge is, just ask locopoke, he'll tell you.

But honestly the plan is simple. I come in on some joke like Forretress or Ferrothorn and use Substitute. I then proceed to continue subbing until their precious move misses which gives me a free Swords Dance. Leftovers > Brightpowder because it gives me an extra Substitute which in theory allows for a better chance of having a sub with +2 when I decide to attack.

Outrage > Dragon Claw because I like power and Dragon Claw is just too weak. I'm saying this now because I know some bozo will recommend Dragon Claw so that I don't have to worry about locking myself in. Well there's only 1 thing to say to that, "Sand Veil." JEJEJEJEJEJEJE

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SDef
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

With a team like mine so reliant on weather I needed something to stop Kyogre. If Soul Dew was allowed no doubt Latias would be here, but Ferrothorn is an animal too. Believe it or not I believe Ferrothorn should be banned. Anything that works this well in Ubers does not belong in OU, plus I know how many OU players hate this thing. It just tanks hits all day.

The cool thing about it on this team is that it's STAB hits the 2 mons that give me the most trouble really hard, Groudon and Kyogre. I don't see why either of them would switch into a Power Whip but sometimes you NEED weather and have to play risky / stupid.

But anyways it does the same thing in OU as it does in Ubers, except we use a lot of special defense to take hits like Draco Meteor a lot better. Leech Seed gives me a way to heal and Spikes is in general a really good utility move. If sand is up then Protect gives me Leech Seed recovery and a sandstorm hit on most mons in Ubers.

Although it seems like I rely on him a lot, once I kill my opponents weather user I don't care about Ferrothorn anymore. Since I have Excadrill and Garchomp with sand it seems irrelevant, so I usually just try to get 3 layers of Spikes up or Leech Seed stuff until it becomes weak. If Ferrothorn dies in the process, it's all good, because I pretty much have the game set.

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

While some players prefer a more defensive role in this position, I'm all about the power. When I originally made this team the plan was for CB Rayquaza to go here once V-Create got released. I still plan on using that but MoxieMence is still an animal. I love lead Darkrai that attempt to Focus Blast or Nasty plot against Tyranitar while I switch to Mence and OHKO it with my move of choice. First off they don't expect me to out speed and second they just gave me a free +1 for whatever comes in next.

In fact, I'm not afraid to use Outrage on turn 2 of the match. If I see that my opponent lacks a true steel type like Forretress or Skarmory I go right for Outrage. Dialga takes about 77% from a +1 Outrage which makes it easy as hell to revenge kill. Groudon takes about 50% which means I can finish it off with Arceus-Ghost. Even though Salamence is usually not alive late game, when it is generally everything on my opponents team is weak, so Salamence can go to town without any worry. If I can score a 3 turn outrage I usually win. I hate opponents that sack 2 mons so that I get confused, and then go to Arceus to try and get a free SD on the confusion. But generally even if that happens I can still play around it. However, I don't hit myself in confusion then you can say bye bye to Arceus. :)

I run a +speed nature to tie with base 100 scarf users like Palkia and whatnot. For some reason Palkia is a common switch in to Mence even after I get +1. I think many people assume I run an Adament nature so they expect to revenge kill it, but 9/10 times I get the KO on whatever mon comes in and all of a sudden I have +2 attack and +2 speed. Naive nature is used so that I can take the physical priority hits better and it also gives me a stronger Fire Blast to combat the steels such as Skarmory and Forretress, although any moves outside of Dragon Claw and Outrage are rarely used. Since I haven't tried using an Adamant nature I'm not sure if I'm missing out of crucial KO's or not, but I still like the insurance on stuff like +1 Jolly DD Rayquaza.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 70 Def / 76 SAtk / 112 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Judgment

Lastly we have Ghost-Arceus. Arceus fulfills a few roles for this team. First off it combats extreme killer normal Arceus who generally run very low speed to maximize bulk. Although I lack Focus Blast I have Will-O-Wisp, which is more than enough to beat it. I run Flamethrower because for whatever reason people don't expect a combo of Will-O-Wisp and Flamethrower, plus a lot of people switch in Skarmory and Forretress expecting me to be Arceus-Ghost with Swords Dance. Flamethrower is also used since it lets me fulfill the roll of a spin-blocker better, so that not only can I switch into spinners, but I can also beat the most common ones (Forretress, Excadrill, Tentacruel). Oh and let's not forget about Ferrothorn. That's always a bitch to play so the more fire moves the better.

Judgement is the obvious stab that let's me 2HKO Lugia and sometimes nail a 2HKO on Groudon. If 1 layer of Spikes are up then it is a guaranteed 2HKO on the standard support Groudon. My speed EV's allow me to hit 334 which is just enough to out speed Garchomp. However, if sand is up I will almost never go for a Will-O-Wisp and would prefer to just Judgement it for damage. I threw the remaining EV's into defense to take physical hits better since that is it's main job.

Some people may think that Giratina would be better here but I'm sticking with Arceus-Ghost. It's worked great for me in the 100+ matches I've played with this team so I see no reason to change it.

SHOUT OUTS

locopoke: One of my many bros. Been through the thick and thin with this man. He's a great ubers player and a great closet homosexual. #unbanlocopoke

Stone_Cold22: The man, the myth, THE MURK.

Donkey: This guy was running sand before I even knew who he was. People kept telling me I copied his team when I never even played him. Now that I know him I can say he's a great player and a cool guy.

Syrim: 4-0 4-0 4-0 4-0

Kevin Garret:

[15:29] <@Kevin_Garrett> faint gave me a team
[15:29] <+Faint> what tier
[15:29] <@Kevin_Garrett> uber
[15:29] <@Kevin_Garrett> i am undefeated today
[15:29] <+Faint> u dont like the ss one?
[15:29] <@Kevin_Garrett> im like top 15 now
[15:29] <@Kevin_Garrett> it is that team
[15:29] <+Faint> the one i gave u yesterday
[15:29] <@Kevin_Garrett> mhm
[15:29] <@Kevin_Garrett> its a boss

Hugendugen: This man uses the most unorthodox shit but still wins. It's crazy.

Dotteh: My #1 fan and secret lover.

Fabbles: One does not simply, LEAVE THE WOODS.

kd24: Clowns.....-_-

CTI: Put him last because he's black and has no rights.

Export to text.

Tyranitar (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
- Payback
- Low Kick
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 66 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Garchomp (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SDef
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 70 Def / 76 SAtk / 112 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Judgment

Rate, comment, steal.​

This is a really nice team, as you know I have one similar to this. I don't really have many suggestions since this is a pretty well built team, especially synergy wise. The only problems I can see is TTar's moveset. I don't think Low Kick OHKO's Darkrai, but Superpower does and Darkrai faints with sand damage.

You might want to give Lum berry exca a try too, it allows you to easily beat Giratina-A if you are having problems with hazards. Tspikes cripple Garchomp, and Rocks hinder Mence's ability to sweep. You also might want to try Perish Song on Arceus as last pokes can give you some trouble if Exca is down.

Grats on the peak, and lol at the first paragraph and thanks for the shoutout!

EDIT: btw brightpowder is much better than lefties. takes more skill as well.

One other thing, 192 speed on exca outspeeds terrakion. You don't want to switch out on it.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fucking cool team lol. only things i'm not sold on is scarf mence over palk, not running 160 speed on ghost arceus, low kick over superpower on tyranitar, and perhaps considering roar on ghost arceus or dragon tail on tyranitar as having at least one phazer is nice, although i realize losing your fire moves mean that ferro and forre have a field day.

I battled u today and lost because groudon died to spikes for only a few hp. So i couldnt revenge excadrill with palkia because your team had sand up. Nice team . I also think u should use superpower over low kick if using tyranitar as a lead. Otherwise its fine. I didnt take your team seriously at first because i thought you were the one of the clueless people who had no idea that excadrill and garchomp were banned but in the end u surprised me.

I remember battling someone with scarf MoxieMence once. So that was you, lol. I think PO server has more sand teams laddering (almost as popular as smashpassing) than the Smogon server (more rain based imo). How do you deal with Lugia? Not that your team is "Lugia weak" (if such thing exists) but more like it can be annoying to all of your phys sweepers.

I remember battling someone with scarf MoxieMence once. So that was you, lol. I think PO server has more sand teams laddering (almost as popular as smashpassing) than the Smogon server (more rain based imo). How do you deal with Lugia? Not that your team is "Lugia weak" (if such thing exists) but more like it can be annoying to all of your phys sweepers.
Lugia don't usually run Reflect like they did in D/P, so Tyranitar can easily switch in to it. Payback does 50% to Lugia unless they Dragon Tail, which then I hit it for about 25%. Ferrothorn can setup on it and Excadrill can OHKO with +2 Rock Slide (with SR). I have seen Rock Slide do 50% unboosted but I'm not sure if it was an offensive Lugia (lol) or not. Arceus outspeeds and hits it with Judgement for 50%. The hardest set to beat would be CM, but since it's so rare I don't see it as a problem. It would also need to be running Earth Power to have any chance at beating Excadrill or Tyranitar.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This is cool and breaks away from the usual Kyogre/Dialga/spiker/ghost core. Anyways, Reflect Lugia isn't a terrible issue because it's not doing much to this team. TTar will force it to Roost quite a bit, Exca will just Rapid Spin all the hazards that Lugia rely on to do a lot of damage, and Ghostceus 2HKOes it. Only Pokemon in great danger here is Salamence.

Also Tyranitar tanks CM Lugia all day and isn't afraid of Earth Power.

Biggest weakness here is probably opposing Excadrill. You can't really count on your Exca outrunning it since it's Speed isn't maxed out (and it's still kinda unreliable even if you do). Mence can't revenge it and could potentially be the set up bait (+1 Outrage hurts but he'll survive, SD, and OHKO your team anyways). Though you can hope for a Sand Veil miss or something...lol

Other major weak is Fighting Arceus who can just CM and OHKO somebody, and it'll take both Mence and Excadrill (and with help from Ghost Arceus) to take it down. SD Ground Arceus can also do a lot of damage either, provided that Ferrothorn is slightly weakened, and depending on how tanky it is Mence + Exca might not be enough to finish it off (and it'll just use Recover and laugh while also being immune to Sandstorm damage).

Unfortunately there's not much I can suggest for these weaks. At least by keeping TTar/Exca/Garchomp in the team anyways. Running Gliscor > Chomp fixes two of the issues above, but it would appear that Chomp is a key member and I don't want to change that. Plus it makes your team significantly less offensive

Biggest weakness here is probably opposing Excadrill. You can't really count on your Exca outrunning it since it's Speed isn't maxed out (and it's still kinda unreliable even if you do). Mence can't revenge it and could potentially be the set up bait (+1 Outrage hurts but he'll survive, SD, and OHKO your team anyways). Though you can hope for a Sand Veil miss or something...lol

Other major weak is Fighting Arceus who can just CM and OHKO somebody, and it'll take both Mence and Excadrill (and with help from Ghost Arceus) to take it down. SD Ground Arceus can also do a lot of damage either, provided that Ferrothorn is slightly weakened, and depending on how tanky it is Mence + Exca might not be enough to finish it off (and it'll just use Recover and laugh while also being immune to Sandstorm damage).
Yeah Excadrill is the biggest problem for my team, and that was the reason why I originally wanted to run Rayquaza > Mence. Thing is I REALLY love V-Create and think it's gonna be a great move so I almost refuse to run Ray without it. :/

I've played a few fighting arceus, and I can see why it looks like a problem. My first switch is always to Arceus-Ghost and then burn it with WoW. Although it's not doing much it's taking burn damage and sandstorm damage while getting hit by Judgements. That adds up overtime. In the end if things don't go very well i'll sack arceus-ghost hoping that it's weak enough for like you said, exca or mence to finish it off.

I run an Adament nature so they expect to revenge kill it, but 9/10 times I get the KO on whatever mon comes in and all of a sudden I have +2 attack and +2 speed.​
I'm no expert, but doesn't choice scarf only grant +1 speed?
Unless moxie somehow grants speed boosts that I don't know about then isn't your mence only at a total of +1 speed? Then wouldn't it just be a 5/10 chance it would KO the scarf palkia coming in to revenge?​

COMMENTS

i have played your team an i have found a lot of difficulties because of the overuse of kyogre.
despite the fact that you have ferro and drattak, opponents switch on other poke in order to safe kyogre at the end of the battle.
it's the case with the scarfkyogre in particular.
that's why i think you should use grass arceus but you might not have a ghost to face mewtwo.
ballon on excadrill is very surprising and could be an argument to deal with other excadrill and it could be your second switch on ground attcks used by groudon
scorvol is difficult to beat due to its sub that's why you should have ice beam in your team..
Personnally i find garchomp too weak and too easy to count beacause of the only 20% PERCENT OF SAND ABUSE and the overuse of kyogre and groudon.
that's why i put palkia orber over garchomp and mewtwo over drattak .
I think you know this issue and you use a strategy to get out this problem.
Even if i try to anticipate strategies used by opponents it'is difficult to stay on the battlefiel after waterspout and specially for moxie.
To my mind you should use rayquaza with estremespeed to deal with deoxys-a.

to conclude i love sand storm an your rmt lets me to build a competitive team
I have ferro exca tyra palkia orber mewtwo restes
thanks
good team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)