move 4: Switcheroo / Stun Spore / Taunt
ability: Prankster
item: Lagging Tail / Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Moves
========

-Encore allows Whimsicott to cripple a mon for one turn
-U-turn lets Whimsicott to scout an opponent and switch to a reliable counter, it also stops it from being completely shut down by taunt
-Memento helps give momentum and to stop an opposing sweeper while giving another mon a safe switch in
-Taunt can shut down certain pokemon while working well with encore
-Switcheroo can cripple fast pokemon with Lagging tail to allow a slower teammate to come in
-Stun Spore gives Whimsicott the ability to Paralyze ground types but doesn't work on Electric or Grass types

Set Details
========

The EVs allow Whismsicott to come in on some physical attacks as its typing lets it take on certain hard hitting types although speed can be invested to outspeed Mamoswines Ice Shard
Leftovers is to allow Whimsicott some healing at the end of each turn
Lagging tail works well with U-turn giving teammates a 100% safe switch in while allowing Whimsicott to cripple a sweeper with Switcheroo
Impish increases its defense giving it some more bulk while lowering its unused special attack

Usage Tips
========

Whimsicott requires some prediction to play as it can't take many attacks
Its new typing and mechanics change allows Whimsicott to come in on Dragon type attacks and powder moves such as Spore
This is more for offense based teams

Team Options
========

Whimsicott attracts Grass types and Magic Bouncers in which the worse it will do to them is Knock off their item, it also has this problem with Fire types but can paralize them. This makes Heatran a great teammate as it can come in and not care much for their attacks. Heatran also has good defensive synergy with Whimsicott allowing it to take all moves that are Super effective to Whimsicott while Whimsicott can take the Water/Ground/Fighting moves aimed at Heatran.
You can also use Dugtrio to help deal with the Fire types by U-turning out on the switch and trapping them although Dugtrio can't do much to Grass types so Gothitelle may work better as a trapper despite being much slower.

Other Options
########

-SubSeed
-Sunny day
-Trick Room
-Offensive

Checks & Counters
########

-Magic bouncers
-Grass types
-Most Fire types
-Faster pranksters with taunt (Tornadus and Liepard run speed EVs while Whimsicott doesn't)

Last edited:
No.

No.

-Faster pranksters with taunt (Tornadus and Liepard)
Both are slower than Whimsicott.

Also, Tailwind needs a slash or at least an OO mention, it works well with Dragonite, Hydreigon and Haxorus among other things.

Mention "Great defensive movepool" as opposed to just movepool
"Low offensive stats"

In the set add the set name as per SDS's announcement in the forum.
Order EVs in this order 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (unless you meant Speed which is Spe)
Try to explain exact things that Whimsicott can take with it's EVs.

Whimsicott is not a lure for Grass-types and Magic Bouncers, they check and counter it. A lure implies Whimsicott runs a rare move that can eliminate them, such as Special Attack investment and a Hidden Power (Don't do this).

Why Trick Room?

That's pretty much it that I've seen, good analysis ^_^

Last edited:
Tornadus may may be slower than Whimsicott naturally, but Tornadus always runs speed evs while Whimsicott never does.
Oh, I forgot about that. Still, maybe in the finished analysis it would be good to have a mention of that then?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't like Leech Seed at all as Grass-types are everywhere, which are immune to 3/4 of your moveset as they come in and the only thing you can do to them is a piss-poor weak U-turn, which is not good enough for the trouble you went for switching in. Here is the set i like the most:

name: Offensive Support
move 1: Encore
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Memento
move 4: Switcheroo / Stun Spore
ability: Prankster
item: Lagging Tail / Leftovers

The perfect support Pokemon for offensive teams. Lagging Tail + U-turn is a wonderful combo to give your offensive Pokemon a 100% free switch-in, while you also get a guaranteed pseudo-paralyze move with Switcheroo + Lagging Tail on anything except from MEvos. Memento is excellent for stopping dangerous sweepers and giving set up chances to your sweepers, and is too good to pass up imo, however Taunt could be slashed with it i guess, for Deo-S / Deo-D / hazard users in general. I am not really sure about the spread as Whimsicott makes for a good switch in to both physical and special attackers, but physical attackers are more prominent, so going with max HP / max Def+ is probably the best option. Leech Seed is AC material imo

Yeah priority Memento is something great to have, glad someone else mentioned this because althrough my post lacked info the suggestion was good, whimsicott can cripple a pokemon so a sweeper can set up and unlike other memento user like latios and dugtrio you only fear priority for other pranksters or priority attacking moves, I don't know why my post was completely ignored even when it's one of whimsicott greatest moves

This is just a small detail I noticed, but I don't think that Focus Sashes would be Knock Off's primary target, as this currently suggests.

-Knock off allows Whimsicott to support its team by removing items that could be troublesome such as Sashes
Since Knock Off is an attacking move, it breaks Sashes regardless, so I don't know if that's the best example to use. Not to mention Sashes can be broken by any attacking move in general, so being able to remove it isn't a very noteworthy attribute. I would imagine that better items to mention would be Choice items or Leftovers, which when removed can cripple whatever was holding them. Hope that didn't sound too nit-picky.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, i added Memento
I think its ready for QC
This is not what i suggested, please replace the existing set with the one i posted, or just have a separate Iron Ball set if other QC members think that Leech Seed + Lefties deserves its own set.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree that Alexwolf's set is probably the -best- that Whimsicott can do (though maybe with U-turn and Memento slashed and with Tailwind in the other moveslot), but I don't know that it makes it worth using. It just seems way too niche to me to deserve an analysis, but I guess if it was considered good enough for one last gen, might as well have one this gen. Still, it seems like a very inferior supporting Pokemon. Even as a Tailwind setter, you could use something like Latios with Memento and potentially dual screens. Prankster Encore is a very unique niche (I think Liepard is like the only other remotely viable Pokemon to get it), but whether or not it makes it worth an analysis isn't my call!

Also, SubSeed is shit, and the only reason to mention it in OO is to say that it's shit.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Encore, U-turn, and Memento are all 100% must moves imo. Encore and U-turn should be obvious, and Memento is the only major support move that Whimsicott has, which can make the difference between one of your sweepers ending the game or not. It also helps against threatening set up sweepers that have already choosen an attack before Whimsi came in, where Encore wouldn't help. Without Memento, Whimsicott is just a nuissance that doesn't really do anything.

Also, Tailwind is very overrated. If you set it up on a forced switch, you get 2 turns to take advantage of it at best, and if you are using it as a last ditch effort, Memento is far better. The last slot should be Switcheroo / Stun Spore / Taunt. The first two moves provide some utility in the case the opponent switches out and you don't want to sac Whimsi or use U-turn (for example, against Rocky Helmet Garchomp, which would fuck you up with residual), as well as cripple Pokemon against which Memento is ineffective (Bisharp, Malamar, Espeon), while Taunt helps against Deo-D / Deo-S and gives you a way to stop defensive hazard setters, other than predicting the switch-in and using U-turn. Messing with Baton Pass teams is nice too.

Seconding the notion that subseed and sub in general should definitely be mentioned solely to remind players how spectacularly terrible it is.

Also seconding the notion that encore/u-turn/momento is required on all sets, and by all sets I mean its only set.

Mention of switcheroo should come packaged with comment about loss of leftovers IMO, I personally find paralyzing stuff much more team friendly but the lagging tail strat is still super effective

imo Mega Lucario deserves a mention in C&C, it outspeeds and 2HKOes Whimsicott with Bullet Punch. (252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 156-184 (48.14 - 56.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock), same thing for Scizor, who doesn't give a shit about paralysis and has a huge chance of OHKOing it if it is banded. (252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 258-306 (79.62 - 94.44%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

Last edited:
It should also be mentioned that Iron Ball can be preferable. It's true that Iron Ball only halves speed while Lagging Tail forces the holder to be last, but Iron Ball has the useful secondary attribute of grounding the enemy. I can imagine Whimsicott switching into Rotom-W, resisting both of its stabs, and then switching Iron Ball onto it before the Volt Switch. Then Rotom can be Earthquake'd later by almost any offensive mon. I imagine there are other situations where it could prove useful.

I think Leech Seed should be slashed with Memento. Using a Leech Seed on the opponents switch after using encore/taunt and U-Turning out would help to force switches & passively heal your incoming pokemon, and Leech Seed doesn't force you to die afterwards. It'd be even more potent on a team that uses entry hazards, IMO, as the forced switches really help pile on the damage.

Taunt + Encore + U-Turn NEED to be on the same set for Whimsicott to effectively shut down most pokemon that try to set up. Whimsicott can't afford to be taunted, since it cripples the entire set and forces Whimsicott to U-Turn out. Without Taunt, Whimsicott struggles to beat most pranksters 1-v-1 too.

Knock Off might be helpful to strip incoming pokemon of their items, but Leech Seed is more useful overall for the passive healing/damage & the impetus it gives to force switches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)