Whimsicott (QC 1/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIFE ORB HURRICANE THE BEST

[Overview]

-PRANKSTER
-A LOT of support moves (Encore, Taunt, etc.)
-not much offensively
-decent bulk
-amazing Speed

[SET]
name: Prankster
move 1: Encore
move 2: Taunt / Helping Hand
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

-focuses on Prankster ability
-Prankster Encore lets Whimsicott be a major annoyance for some Pokemon, locking them into moves such as Protect and Fake Out that are very prevalent in the tier
-Encore also helps shut down Pokemon trying to use Substitute and Trick Room
-Taunt lets Whimsicott stop opposing Taunters such as Tornadus and Thundurus from shutting it down, and also helps with the above (also lets it get off Tailwind before dying against these Pokemon)
-Helping Hand can be used to boost power of its teammates
-Tailwind gives Whimsicott's team a major Speed boost for 4 turns (including the turn it's used)
-Protect is always reliable in Doubles, and can help Whimsicott scout and work its magic with Encore

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

-Focus Sash guarantees that Whimsicott can live any 1 hit (assuming weather isn't up)
-EVs let it outrun Prankster Tornadus and Thundurus (rest of EVs put in HP and Def to maximize bulk)
-Max Speed can be run to Speed tie with Max Speed Whimsicott
-Giga Drain lets Whimsicott not be complete Taunt bait and gives it a small form of offense, but Whimsicott can usually Taunt other Taunters anyway
-Sunny Day can be used with a Heat Rock over Tailwind, letting Whimsicott support its sun team
-Stun Spore can cripple an enemy
-Swagger can help Whimsicott pull off some nice combos and frustrate the opposition, but isn't really reliable
-Appreciates weather control (to keep its focus sash intact)
-Offensive Pokemon can work very well with Whimsicott, as the opponent cannot Protect due to the risk of Encore, greatly lowering their options
-Fake Out Pokemon can be good parters since if the opposition Protects against the Fake Out, they risk being Encored the following turn
-Hard-hitting slower attackers can also be good partners because of Tailwind
-Pokemon such as Volcarona are obviously necessary if running Sunny Day

[Other Options]

-Substitute
-Leech Seed can be nice but Whimsicott doesn't really have the bulk to pull it off in Doubles
-Memento can help Whimsicott's partners, but Tailwind is usually superior
-Grasswhistle gives Whimsicott Prankster sleep, but it has ridiculously poor accuracy
-Gravity can be used to support a gravity team
-Worry Seed can potentially be useful
-Beat Up can be used with a Pokemon such as Terrakion, but this is a very gimmicky and unreliable strategy
-Trick Room, but there are better Pokemon for that
-Swagger
-Switcheroo

[Checks and Counters]

-Mental Herb can really foil Whimsicott's plans, stopping Taunt and Encore
-sand / hail can break its sash
-Most priority users will not be able to outrun Whimsicott, but Pokemon with ExtremeSpeed such as Deoxys-A and Dragonite can hit it before it can retaliate
-Multi-hit moves can break its sash
-avoiding set-up moves can mean that Whimsicott can get KO'd easily since Encore won't be nearly as effective
-Follow Me can save the user's partner from Whimsicott's Encore / Taunt shenanigans
-pretty much any strong attacker can destroy Whimsicott (Deoxys-A, Hitmontop, Heatran, Volcarona, etc.)
-Tornadus can OHKO Whimsicott with Acrobatics if it is Taunted

Last edited:

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
For Other Options: Mention Trick Room since, y'know, everyone loves Trick Room even though Whimsiscott is one of the worse abusers of it. If grasswhistle gets a mention, Trick Room most certainly does (by the way I wouldn't even mention grass whistle 55% accuracy is completely unusable). I would also mention Dual Screens and Switcheroo (Mention that the latter is incompatible with Encore).

For checks and counters: Pretty much every fire type in existence completely craps over Whimsiscott. Likewise, many powerful attackers with access to fire and ice type attacks such as Salamence and Darkrai crap on it. Obamasnow and the rest of Hail have blizzspam to handle it. Also Metagross can Ice Punch.

EDIT also explain why there's 40 EVs in Def since it is almost always better to invest in special defesne

done o.o
I just switched the EVs to SDef
added that p much anything strong can KO Whimsicott. Whimsicott also doesn't learn Reflect, so theres no point just mentioning Light Screen. I didn't see a point in Switcheroo since Encore is the main reason to use Whimsicott but ya.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon who use fakeout deserve to be mentioned in AC's. Fake out allows Whim to set up whatever it wants to. and if your opponent protects from the fake out they get encored into protect the next turn.

Mention Swagger in OO.

Change mention of VGC in Set Comments to Doubles.

Mention that Defiant Tornadus gives zero fucks about being Taunted and OHKOs (minus that sash but Mental Herb variants will be sad) with AcroGem.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
-Helping Hand can give its teammate a 1-time boost
misleading, because Whimsicott can use HH multiple times

AC mention max Speed to tie with other Whimsicott

-Pokemon such as Venusaur are obviously necessary if running Sunny Day
I would actually think more along the lines of Fire-types like Victini, Heatran, and Volcarona

In Checks and Counters, you should list common Pokemon that can OHKO Whimsicott after the Sash is broken.

Er, I've DEFINITIELY used a Whimsicott with Encore and Switcheroo, if they are incompatible then PS is wrong.

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks nice @ShakeItUp. Just a few things:
  • Mention how Ice types (Aboma, Kyurem, etc) fire types (volcarona, heatran, chandelure, tini, tales) steels (sharp, scizor, and metagross) can all easily eliminate it. Ik they go under strong attackers I guess but I think the catagories should be distinguished
  • Mention Light Screen (can still be a good option even though it doesnt learn reflect, most pokes in doubles only use one or the other anyways)
  • Remove Gravity since Whimsicott doesn't learn it
this thing barely qualifies as a pokemon but w/e
QC 2/3

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know I'm not QC, but I'm a strong believer that Whimsicott shouldn't have any Speed EVs, and they should all be thrown into SpD. It will help you against many more Pokemon (many of the special attackers) than just Prankster Tornadus and Thundurus. Tornadus usually runs Defiant, and Thundurus usually uses a bulky spread, making Spe EVs unnecessary anyways.

You can also combine the SpD EVs with a Sitrus Berry if you feel that max SpD is too counter-productive with a Focus Sash.

Besides the genies, another threat to consider is Mamoswine. For the record, Life Orb Ice Shard does 61 to 72% to 252/0 Whimsicott, and 76 speed evs are needed to outrun this and set up Tailwind / Encore it into Protect / whatever. To gauge the drop in special defense this investment would cause, Latios's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor (the classic benchmark) would go from a 50%-chance OHKO to an 87.5%-chance OHKO.

Last edited:
I know I'm not QC, but I'm a strong believer that Whimsicott shouldn't have any Speed EVs, and they should all be thrown into SpD. It will help you against many more Pokemon (many of the special attackers) than just Prankster Tornadus and Thundurus. Tornadus usually runs Defiant, and Thundurus usually uses a bulky spread, making Spe EVs unnecessary anyways.

You can also combine the SpD EVs with a Sitrus Berry if you feel that max SpD is too counter-productive with a Focus Sash.
agreed; though max speed is a must with sash and taunt

Even though this is (supposedly) in write-up mode atm, I'll just add a few things.

I'm in favor of Mental Herb w/ Darkmalice's spread, as you can be bulky while handling faster Prankster Taunts safely. Sash is certainly an option though, but should be run with a speedier spread (maybe AC?).

I'm also thinking Stun Spore might deserve more credit, it works like Thundururs's Thunder Wave and can paralyze anything that doesn't run Sap Sipper (aka more or less everything you are likely to see). Maybe it is just my hatred of Landorus-Therian bleeding through though. xD

Also, Heat Rock is a waste w/ Sunny Day tbh; just run Sunny Day with the standard item.

That is all.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Locking this due to inactivity. ShakeItUp, you have 2 QC stamps, so you may immediately start a new thread with the write-up when you get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)