OU Whimsicott

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

QC: PK Gaming / p2 / Colonel M
GP: P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

* Whimsicott's access to a vast supportive movepool, in tandem with its ability Prankster, allows it to function well on Baton Pass teams by disrupting the opponent while supporting its team.
* Its Grass / Fairy typing provides Whimsicott with six resistances (most notably to Water and Ground) along with an immunity to Dragon. However, this typing also makes Whimsicott vulnerable to common Steel-, Fire-, and Flying-types while suffering a 4x weakness to Poison.
* Whimsicott's base 116 Speed is useful for outspeeding Pokemon such as Mew, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W if you opt for Infiltrator over Prankster.
* Whimsicott fits in a small niche as a Pokemon that can support Baton Pass teams well and not much else.
* Whimsicott sports mediocre natural bulk as well as no reliable recovery, which makes it harder for it to survive.
* The nerf to Prankster benefitting Dark-types such as Bisharp, Greninja, and Mega Gyarados along with the addition of Psychic Terrain makes it harder for Whimsicott to utilize its supportive moveset.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass Support
move 1: Memento
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Encore
item: Focus Sash / Darkinium Z
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Memento allows Whimsicott to safely bring in a Baton Pass or setup user while also providing them a safe way to boost up at the expense of Whimsicott.
* Tailwind provides an easier time for boosting Pokemon such as Scolipede and Mew. It can also be used to warm up the game by providing a Speed boost to Pokemon such as Kyurem-B and Mega Metagross.
* Taunt can be used to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Toxapex while also protecting Whimsicott from opposing Taunt due to Prankster.
* Encore is used to lock down other boosting Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X, Quiver Dance Pheromosa, and Landorus-T as well as punishing entry hazard setters such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

Set Details
========

* Full investment in Speed allows Whimsicott to quickly set up Tailwind, Taunt, or Encore before falling. It is also crucial for Infiltrator variants to have as much Speed as possible to outspeed Pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Mew.
* Full investment in HP maximizes Whimsicott's bulk, allowing it to take a few hits from neutral coverage or uninvested attacks.
* Prankster is the ability of choice due to its synergy with Whimsicott's supportive movepool.
* Since Whimsicott is naturally fast, Infiltrator can be used over Prankster to allow Whimsicott to bypass Psychic Terrain and Dark-types. However, Prankster is still superior in most cases because it guarantees Whimsicott will be able to use its moves due to the added priority.
* Focus Sash guarantees Whimsicott is at least able to set up Tailwind and cripple its foe with Memento.
* Darkinium Z can be used instead due to its synergy with Memento, allowing Whimsicott to fully restore an ally's health while crippling the foe.

Usage Tips
========

* Whimsicott is exclusively used as a support Pokemon on Baton Pass teams.
* If running a Focus Sash, Whimsicott can be used as a suicide lead to quickly setup Tailwind and then Memento on out to a set up or Baton Pass user. On the other hand, Darkinium Z variants are able to repeatedly disrupt the foe and then pivot out with Z-Memento when it's time.
* Switch Whimsicott into setup sweepers such as Landorus-T, Clefable, and Zygarde to lock them into their respective boosting moves.
* Whimsicott can also cripple the tier's multitude of defensive Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Toxapex, and Chansey with Encore or Taunt, allowing its team to use them as setup bait.
* Remember that Whimsicott will still be able to Taunt or Encore airborne Pokemon such as Skarmory and Gliscor under Psychic Terrain.

Team Options
========

* Scolipede and Mew are the tier's most prominent Baton Pass users that appreciate Whimsicott's support. Tailwind allows both of them to outspeed threats to provide them an easier time to set up, while Memento or Z-Memento helps bring them in to set up safely.
* If the initial Baton Pass strategy fails, Baton Pass boost recipients such as Necrozma, Mega Metagross, and Manaphy can still function well with Tailwind and Memento support from Whimsicott.
* Whimsicott can help safely bring in setup sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, and Mega Pinsir with Memento. They also appreciate Tailwind since it will also allow them to outspeed their threats to either recover up or boost up further.
* Midrange Speed Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, and Zygarde are able to outspeed faster threats such as Pheromosa, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Dugtrio under Whimsicott's Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Whimsicott can opt for a utility pivot set that fully emphasizes Prankster. The moveset be Moonblast / U-Turn / Encore / Stun Spore with Leftovers alongside full investment in both HP and Defense.
* The combination of Substitute and Leech Seed takes advantage of Prankster, allowing Whimsicott to catch a switch-in with Leech Seed and proceed to stall its foe out with Substitute. However, this set causes Whimsicott to be vulnerable to Grass- and Dark-types, since it will be unable to do anything to them.
* Knock Off allows Whimsicott to catch an incoming switch-in to remove their item.
* Switcheroo + a Choice item or Lagging Tail can be used to cripple the tier's multitude of fast or item-reliant Pokemon such as Chansey, Alolan Marowak, Pheromosa, and Greninja.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Greninja, Mega Gyarados, and Hoopa-U can easily switch into Whimsicott's supportive moves or use it as setup bait due to their immunity to moves affected by Prankster. Bisharp does not mind the stat drops from Memento due to Defiant and can easily set up on Whimsicott. Meanwhile, Mandibuzz does not have to worry about Taunt while being able to Taunt Whimsicott itself.

**Psychic Terrain**: Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain nullifies the effects of Prankster for all grounded targets, which also allows them them to freely switch in to Whimsicott.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Celesteela, Magnezone, and Heatran are able to threaten Whimsicott out with their Steel-type STAB moves. However, Mega Scizor and Kartana must be wary of being locked into Swords Dance when Whimsicott is able to switch in freely while they set up.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both formes of Mega Charizard, Alolan Marowak, and Volcanion threaten Whimsicott with a Fire-type STAB move. However, Mega Charizard X and Volcarona must be wary of being locked into their respective boosting moves.

**Fast Priority Attackers**: Fast attackers with access to priority such as Mega Scizor, Mega Pinsir, Mamoswine, and Weavile are capable of knocking out Whimsicott after some prior damage.

Last edited:
Don't forget to mention that Prankster moves no longer affect Dark-types, this is especially relevant for Pokémon such as Mega Gyarados and Greninja, as you cannot prevent the former from setting up or crippling them both with paralysis.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Don't forget to mention that Prankster moves no longer affect Dark-types, this is especially relevant for Pokémon such as Mega Gyarados and Greninja, as you cannot prevent the former from setting up or crippling them both with paralysis.
ah good catch, thank you

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Not QC, but note for grass type C&C:
Grass types are immune to the Powders (which includes Spore) and Leech Seed, so that entire sentence at the end is unnecessary.

Oh, and you probably should get rid of that last sentence in overview, since its implying that Whimsicott is worse than its competition in every way. At the the very least replace "outclassed by" to something like "faces competition from".

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
I thought I asked this before, but what about Infiltraitor to deal with Dark types? Whimsicott's pretty fast anyway.
i wouldn't personally because most dark-types like bar Hoopa-U (with the spread provided) can outspeed Whimsicott and potentially knock it out. Bisharp doesn't mind Moonblast too much and can knock it out with Iron Head. The only dark-types I can think of Infiltrator would deal with are Mandibuzz not carrying Brave Bird and Tyranitar.

Either way Prankster is still better since Whimsicott's main niche is the ability to cripple faster attackers and set-up sweepers then pivot out into something. which is lost with Infiltrator.

Last edited:
I would add Tapu Fini as a good partner for Whimsicott, as its auto-laying of Misty Terrain allows Whimsicott to use Nature Power, and with it, +1 priority Moonblasts. As even a 0 SpA neutral nature Whimsicott can cleanly OHKO Pheromosa regardless of how many Speed Boosts Pheromosa has, the Whimsicott + Tapu Fini combo should definitely be mentioned for teams struggling with it. For the other Terrains, Tapu Koko gives Whimsicott Nature Power Thunderbolt, which thanks to the Terrain boost nukes Pelipper and Mantine (sadly it doesn't work on boosted Mega Gyarados and Mega Sharpedo); Tapu Bulu gives you +1 priority and 50% boosted Energy Ball, which makes it the strongest offensive option Whimsicott has (for example, a 252 SpA Whimsicott in Grassy Terrain goes first and has a guaranteed OHKO (after Stealth Rock) on 0/0 Manaphy with Nature Power Energy Ball, even if it's Z-Rain Dance Speed boosted). Don't try it with Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain, though, as it's very unlikely that it will be used with Pokemon that aren't on the ground. Terrains + Nature Power gives Whimsicott a powerful niche, especially as Talonflame's evisceration frees Whimsicott from having to worry about dying from priority Brave Birds.

It should also be mentioned that any offensively inclined Whimsicott should run Max SpA + Max Spe Timid so that it can make the most of its Base 116 Speed, which is especially useful when you can hit offensive threats like Keldeo, Latios, and Zygarde 10% super effectively. It should also be emphasized that Encore does not work with Z-move stat buffs like Manaphy's Z-Rain Dance and Porygon-Z's Z-Conversion, making its ability to switch into set-up Pokemon more complicated.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
updated format

edit-
It should also be emphasized that Encore does not work with Z-move stat buffs like Manaphy's Z-Rain Dance and Porygon-Z's Z-Conversion, making its ability to switch into set-up Pokemon more complicated.
Encore will just lock Manaphy/Porygon-Z into Rain Dance or Conversion if used after their z-move activation

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
* Switch Whimsicott into common set-up sweepers such as Manaphy, Clefable and Breloom to lock them into their respective boosting moves. Whimsicott is also a fantastic switch-in to the tier's Water, Ground and Dragon-types such as Rotom-W, Garchomp and Toxapex.
Probably better off mentioning more relevant set up sweepers than Breloom like Landorus-T and Zygarde. I don't think Clefable is particularly common either, but it's probably still worth mentioning. Probably worth mentioning Electric-types in the Checks and Counters for their ability to effectively block Stun Spore. Some of them (such as Magnezone and Zapdos) make for great checks in general.

Aside from that

1/3

Nice work

p2

Banned deucer.
remove pelipper from team options, rain is dogshit and whimsicott rain sounds even worse

cut down oo, there's far too much stuff there

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Giga Drain - Giga Drain can be used over Moonblast for another form of recovery. However, Moonblast is far superior since Fairy-type STAB is unresisted by most of the tier and it hits Dark-types that can now switch-in due to the nerf to Prankster.
* Toxic - An option over Stun Spore if Whimsicott wants a way to deal with Grass-types such as Serperior and Tapu Bulu and Overcoat users such as Mandibuzz. Stun Spore is typically a better option due to its crippling potential.
* Substitute + Leech Seed - This combination takes advantage of Prankster, allowing Whimsicott to catch a switch-in with Leech Seed and then start setting Substitute. However, this set makes Whimsicott vulnerable to Grass-types as it will be unable to do anything to them.
* Taunt - Another option over Encore which lets Whimsicott that prevents status-inflicting moves and hazard setting from the get go. However, this would mean Whimsicott will lose the ability to cripple set-up sweepers.
* Tailwind - A supportive option to boosts the team's Speed. Can be used in-conjunction with Memento or U-turn to pivot out into a mon that appreciates the Tailwind boost.
* Worry Seed - Can be used to nullify abilities such as Beast Boost, Regenarator and Contrary. However, Worry Seed is fairly situational and is outclassed by Whimsicott's other supportive moves.
* Knock Off - Knock Off allows Whimsicott to catch an incoming switch-in to remove their item.
* Switcheroo + Choice Item or Lagging Tail - Can be used to cripple the tier's multitude of fast mons or item-reliant mons such as Chansey, Alolan-Marowak, Pheromosa and Greninja.
* Darkinium Z + Memento -
* Special Attacker - Due to Whimsicott's decent offensive movepool, it can utilize either a Life Orb set with Giga Drain, Moonblast, Psychic and Memento or Tailwind or a Choice Specs set with the same offensive moves along with Switcheroo or HP [Fire]. However, offensive variants of Whimsicott are outclassed by the tier's specially offensive Grass and Fairy-types such as Serperior and Tapu Lele due to Whimsicott's lackluster Special Attack stat.
personally what i think it should be

good read, 2/3

ok qc call check coming through
  • main set should be (to be used on baton pass jank):
  • Whimsicott (M) @ Darkinium Z / Focus Sash
  • Ability: Prankster
  • EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Memento
    - Tailwind
    - Encore
    - Taunt
  • whimsicott is only really useful on baton pass so this as the only main set makes sense
  • mention infiltrator in set comments
  • also emphasize that whimsicott is for support
tag me when done as this doesn't count as a qc check

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
ok qc call check coming through
  • main set should be (to be used on baton pass jank):
  • Whimsicott (M) @ Darkinium Z / Focus Sash
  • Ability: Prankster
  • EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Memento
    - Tailwind
    - Encore
    - Taunt
  • whimsicott is only really useful on baton pass so this as the only main set makes sense
  • mention infiltrator in set comments
  • also emphasize that whimsicott is for support
tag me when done as this doesn't count as a qc check
I don't mean to be rude but, this set's reasoning seems a bit iffy since Baton Pass can only be used on 1 mon (I believe that is the BP clause atm) so I'm not sure where the "really useful on baton pass" comes from. Therefore, I can't really see how Whimsicott would really benefit from or to a BP user. Sorry if that made no sense, I can explain more if needed. I'm mainly asking for clarification since I would have to rewrite a lot of the analysis and receive new QC checks so I would like to know the validity (can't think of a better word sorry) for this set. o-o

I'll probably need to try this set out for myself since I find this the set a bit unusual.

I don't mean to be rude but, this set's reasoning seems a bit iffy since Baton Pass can only be used on 1 mon (I believe that is the BP clause atm) so I'm not sure where the "really useful on baton pass" comes from. Therefore, I can't really see how Whimsicott would really benefit from or to a BP user. Sorry if that made no sense, I can explain more if needed. I'm mainly asking for clarification since I would have to rewrite a lot of the analysis and receive new QC checks so I would like to know the validity (can't think of a better word sorry) for this set. o-o

I'll probably need to try this set out for myself since I find this the set a bit unusual.
TDK pls answer this question

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I got it.

Whimsicott (M) @ Darkinium Z / Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Tailwind
- Encore
- Taunt

Premise is like so:

- Focus Sash is for lead situations. Do whatever you're able to do with Whimsicott to screw up the opponent, then Memento to something else - likely Scolipede or Mew if you can set up and get going.
- Darkinium Z is more for a situation where Whimsicott supports in the back. Though you don't have the safety of a Focus Sash you can fully heal your Scolipede or Mew with Z Memento.
- Tailwind helps Scolipede and Mew outspeed threats to get setup going faster (remember that Scolipede is fast, but it's not blistering fast at first until a few Speed Boosts). It's more important for Mew, but Scolipede does have a small benefit of it early in its setting up. You also can use it to get your midrange Speed Pokemon going to punish things (Mega Metagross, etc).

Infiltrator is due to the double whammy on Prankster. Whimsicott isn't too slow anyway, and Psychic Terrain can really goon Prankster Whimsicott. This should only be mentioned in Set Details as an option - most of the time Prankster is still superior.

Basically - you treat Whimsicott to support your Baton Pass user (Scolipede / Mew) while also being an easy way to help get them in and set up with Memento / Z-Memento. Tailwind helps give Speed in certain situations where it may be needed to get everything going. Taunt and Encore are just ways to goon or make setup easier.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No problem. Implement that as the set and describe Whimsicott's role as a support member in a Baton Pass team. Your other set can be incorporated in Other Options in a way with just mentioning moves. Since both are support sets anyway should work out.

Though my man bludz may not like this - tag me when everything is implemented HotFuzzBall and we shall see about your 3/3 stamp.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
ima just leave this here just because I'm pretty sure Baton Pass is going to be suspected again in the future sooo.... I'll just leave it here for reference or something.

[OVERVIEW]

* Whimsicott functions as a fast utility pivot that is used to support its own team while disrupting the opposing team.
* Whimsicott has access to a vast array of supportive options such as Encore, Stun Spore, and Memento which compliments its ability, Prankster.
* It holds an astounding base 116 Speed for a utility-based Pokemon, allowing Whimsicott to naturally outspeed Pokemon such as Mew, Rotom-W, and Tapu Fini.
* The addition of new bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Toxapex, Mantine, and Tapu Fini helps reinforce Whimsicott's niche in the OU tier.
* Whimsicott can cripple the tier's fast attackers and set-up sweepers such as Pheromosa, Mega Alakazam, and Manaphy with Stun Spore and Encore.
* Its Grass / Fairy typing provides Whimsicott with 6 resistances (most notably to Water-, Ground-, Fighting- and Dark-types) along with an immunity to Dragon-types. However, this typing also makes Whimsicott vulnerable to common Steel-, Fire-, and Flying-types while suffering a 4x weakness to Poison-types.
* Due to Whimsicott's plethora of options, it suffers from four-moveslot-syndrome.
* The nerf to Prankster allow Dark-types such as Bisharp, Greninja, and Mega-Gyarados to switch in without worrying about being crippled by Whimsicott's support moves. The nerf to paralysis also hurts Whimsicott's crippling potential since the Speed drop isn't as potent as before.
* Whimsicott sports mediocre natural bulk
* Whimsicott lacks reliable recovery outside Leftovers and Leech Seed.

[SET]
name: Utility Pivot
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Stun Spore
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Moonblast is Whimsicott's primary STAB move. Moonblast is now essential because it can hit Dark-types that are immune to Prankster.
* U-turn allows Whimsicott to function as a pivot for its team. Since Whimsicott is naturally fast, it can pivot out on unfavorable matchups against Celesteela, Heatran, and Mega Venusaur.
* Stun Spore enables Whimsicott to cripple naturally fast Pokemon such as Pheromosa, Mega Alakazam, and Latios as well as Scarf users such as Keldeo and Landorus-T.
* Encore is an option that lets Whimsicott lock set-up sweepers such as Manaphy, Volcarona, and Kartana onto their respective boosting moves.
* Memento is another pivoting option that almost always provides a free switch for another teammate. It also provides Pokemon such as Mega Scizor and Tapu Lele an opportunity to boost up.
* Protect can be used to scout for choiced users, which Whimsicott can take advantage of by pivoting out into the correct team mate that can take advantage of their choiced state. It also enables Whimsicott to gain a secondary Leftovers turn as well.

Set Details
========

* 68 Speed EVs are utilized allowing Whimsicott to outspeed Timid / Jolly Hoopa-U.
* Full investment in HP as well as the remaining EVs are thrown into Defense instead of Speed since the set focuses on utilizing Prankster to its full potential.
* Leftovers is mandatory since it is Whimsicott's only form of reliable recovery.
* Prankster is the ability of choice due to its synergy with Whimsicott's supportive movepool.

Usage Tips
========

* Switch Whimsicott onto set up sweepers such as Landorus-T, Clefable, and Zygarde to lock them into their respective boosting moves. Whimsicott is also a fantastic switch-in to the tier's Water- and Ground-types such as Rotom-W, Hippowdon, and Toxapex.
* Use U-turn to disrupt the game by either safely bringing in a set-up sweeper that can take advantage of the match-up at hand, or to bring in a trapper such as Magnezone or Dugtrio which can remove the opposing Pokemon from play.
* Try to play Whimsicott somewhat conservatively since its only form of recovery is Leftovers, so taking any unnecessary damage is not optimal.
* Beware of hazard stacking since Whimsicott does not appreciate the passive damage from them since it will be pivoting in and out a lot.
* Take advantage of Whimsicott's high Speed to pick off weakened Pokemon with Moonblast. Whimsicott can also take advantage of choiced users locked into an unfavorable move such as a Keldeo locked into Secret Sword, a Dragonite locked into Outrage, or a Landorus-T locked into Earthquake.
* Play mind games with your opponent whenever you can. For example, if your opponent is using a boosting move, they might switch out fearing an incoming Encore. Use this oppurtunity to your advantage and have Whimsicott pivot out with U-turn or catch the switch-in with Stun Spore.
* Be mindful of Taunt users such as Azelf, Tapu Fini, and Mandibuzz that cripple Whimsicott.
* While Whimsicott can check the tier's Water-types such as Keldeo, Manaphy, and Greninja, keep in mind that they may carry some form of Ice-type coverage.
* Make sure to avoid Knock Off and switching into Scalds if possible since Knock Off removes Leftovers while a burn from Scald annuls its recovery.

Team Options
========

* Whimsicott can safely bring in set-up sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Mimikyu, and Mega Pinsir via U-turn.
* Fire-types such as Volcarona and Mega Charizard X / Y can help check Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Amoonguss as well as Steel-types such as Celesteela and (Mega)-Scizor that can hinder Whimsicott's performance. In return, Whimsicott can function as a check to Water-types for them.
* Fighting-types such as Pheromosa, Buzzwole and Bewear are hindered by the tier's multitude of bulky Water-types such as Mantine, Toxapex, and Tapu Fini. Whimsicott can deal with those threats while they can help deal with Steel-types such as Heatran and Excadrill.
* Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone can help Whimsicott a lot. Heatran helps deal with Fire-, Grass-, and Steel-types for Whimsicott while Whimsicott can check Water-, Fighting-, and Ground-types that Heatran does not appreciate. Magnezone can trap Steel-types such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Whimsicott can easily pivot out into Magnezone so it can safely trap these Pokemon.
* Since Whimsicott is used as a pivot, Pokemon that can remove and set entry hazards are beneficial. Entry hazard removers such as Mantine, Zapdos, and Excadrill help Whimsicott since its pivoting nature forces it to switches out a lot, it does not want to keep switching into hazards often due to its lack of recovery. Entry hazard setters such as Skarmory and Landorus-T can help Whimsicott since it can force switches by pivoting out into its teammates, allowing hazard damage to add up on the opposing field.
* Due to Whimsicott's ability to cripple the tier's multitude of fast attackers such as Pheromosa, Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Dugtrio with Stun Spore, "slower" Pokemon such as non-Choice Scarf Garchomp and Tapu Lele will be able to outspeed them.
* Similarly to Magnezone, Dugtrio helps trap Steel- and Fire-types such as Heatran, Magnezone, Alolan-Marowak, and Magearna that can hinder Whimsicott. In return, Whimsicott helps check Water-types for Dugtrio and can act as a pivot for Dugtrio to trap other Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Giga Drain can be used over Moonblast for another form of recovery. However, Moonblast is far superior since Fairy-type STAB is unresisted by the majority of the tier and can hit Dark-types that can now switch-in due to the nerf to Prankster.
* The combination of Substitute and Leech Seed takes advantage of Prankster, allowing Whimsicott to catch a switch-in with Leech Seed and proceed to stall its opponent out with Substitute. However, this set causes Whimsicott to be vulnerable to Grass-types since it will be unable to do anything to them.
* Tailwind is a supportive option that can help boost the team's Speed. It can be used in-conjunction with Memento or U-turn to pivot out into a teammate that appreciates the Tailwind boost.
* Knock Off allows Whimsicott to catch an incoming switch-in to remove their item.
* Switcheroo + Choice Item or Lagging Tail can be used to cripple the tier's multitude of fast or item-reliant Pokemon such as Chansey, Alolan-Marowak, Pheromosa, and Greninja.
* Darkinium Z + Memento allows Whimsicott to ensure a teammate will be guaranteed a safe switch-in due to the added affect of fully restoring the incoming teammate's health.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types are immune to Stun Spore and Leech Seed while Ferrothorn, Mega Venusaur, Kartana, and Amoonguss are immune to Toxic and resist Whimsicott's Moonblast. The aforementioned Grass-types can easily knock out Whimsicott with their respective super-effective STAB moves.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and Thundurus can switch into an anticipated Stun Spore due to their immunity to paralysis. The aforementioned Electric-types are also bulky enough to take multiple Moonblasts from Whimsicott as well.

**Steel-types**: Common Steel-types such as Celesteela, Mega Scizor, and Heatran are able to wall Whimsicott due to their natural resistance to Whimsicott's dual STAB options while being able to knock Whimsicott out with Steel-type STAB. Mega Scizor and Kartana must be wary of being locked into Swords Dance while Magnezone is immune to paralysis.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both forms of Mega Charizard, Alolan Marowak, and Volcanion can survive multiple Moonblast hits and can threaten Whimsicott with a Fire-type STAB move. However, they must be wary of getting paralyzed by Stun Spore.

**Prankster Absorbers**: While Whimsicott has the tools to deal with Dark-types such as Greninja, Mega Gyarados, and Hoopa-U with Moonblast, they can easily switch into Whimsicott's supportive moves due to their immunity to Prankster.

**Misty and Psychic Terrain**: Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain nullifies the effects of Prankster to all grounded targets while Tapu Fini's Misty Terrain prevents paralysis onto all grounded targets.

**Fast Priority Attackers**: Fast attackers with access to priority such as Mega Scizor, Mega Pinsir, and Weavile are capable of knocking out Whimsicott after some prior damage.

QC: PK Gaming / p2 / x
GP: x

[OVERVIEW]

* Due to Whimsicott's movepool and amazing natural Speed, allowing it to support its team while disrupting the opponent's.
* Whimsicott has access to a vast array of supportive options such as Encore, Taunt, and Memento which compliments its ability, Prankster.
* Whimsicott holds an astounding base 116 Speed for a utility-based Pokemon, allowing it to naturally outspeed Pokemon such as Mew, Rotom-W, and Tapu Fini.
* The combination of Whimsicott's supportive movepool and high base Speed allows it to function well on Baton Pass teams.
* Its Grass / Fairy typing provides Whimsicott with 6 resistances (most notably to Water- and Ground-types) along with an immunity to Dragon-types. However, this typing also makes Whimsicott vulnerable to common Steel-, Fire-, and Flying-types while suffering a 4x weakness to Poison-types.
* Whimsicott sports mediocre natural bulk as well as no reliable recovery, causing it to be vulnerable to chip damage.
* Since Whimsicott has a vast movepool, it suffers from four-moveslot-syndrome.
* The nerf to Prankster allow Dark-types such as Bisharp, Greninja, and Mega-Gyarados to switch in without worrying about being crippled by Whimsicott's support moves. While the addition of Psychic Terrain further hampers Whimsicott's ability to take advantage of Prankster.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass Support
move 1: Memento
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Taunt
item: Focus Sash / Darkinium-Z
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Memento allows Whimsicott to safely bring in a Baton Pass or set up user while also providing them a safe way to boost up at the expense of Whimsicott.
* Tailwind provides an easier time for set up users such as Scolipede and Mew.
* Taunt can be used to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Toxapex while also preventing Whimsicott from being under Taunt due to Prankster.
* Encore is used to lock down other set up users such as Mega Charizard X, Quiver Dance Pheromosa, and Landorus-T.

Set Details
========

* Full investment in Speed allows Whimsicott to quickly set up Tailwind, Taunt, or Encore before falling.
* Full investment in HP maximizes Whimsicott's bulk, allowing it to take a few hits from neutral coverage or uninvested attacks.
* Since Whimsicott is naturally fast, Infiltrator can be used over Prankster to allow Whimsicott to bypass Psychic Terrain and Dark-types. However, Prankster is still superior in most cases.
* Focus Sash helps to ensure Whimsicott is at least guaranteed to set up Tailwind and cripple its foe with Memento.
* Darkinium-Z can be used instead due to its synergy with Memento, allowing Whimsicott to fully restore an ally's health while crippling the foe.

Usage Tips
========

* Whimsicott is exclusively used as a support Pokemon, thus, it is important to take advantage of its ability to support the team's set up users.
* Whimsicott can be used as a suicide lead to quickly set up Tailwind and then Memento on out to a set up or Baton Pass user.
* Switch Whimsicott onto set up sweepers such as Landorus-T, Clefable, and Zygarde to lock them into their respective boosting moves.
* Whimsicott can also cripple the tier's multitude of defensive Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Toxapex, and Chansey with Encore or Taunt, allowing its team to use them as set up bait.
* Remember that due to Prankster, Whimsicott will be able to Taunt other non-Dark-type Taunt users such as Tapu Fini and Gliscor.

Team Options
========

* Scolipede and Mew are the tier's most prominent Baton Pass users that appreciate Whimsicott's support. Tailwind allows both of them to outspeed threats to provide them an easier time to set up. While Memento or Z-Memento helps bring them in to set up safely.
* Whimsicott can help safely bring in set-up sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, and Mega Pinsir with Memento. They also appreciate Tailwind since it will also allow them to outspeed their threats to either recover up or boost up further.
* Due to Tailwind, midrange Speed Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, and Zygarde to outspeed faster threats such as Pheromosa, Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Dugtrio.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Whimsicott can opt for a utility pivot set which fully emphasizes Prankster. The moveset would utilize Moonblast, U-Turn, Encore, and Stun Spore with Leftovers alongside full investment to both HP and Defense.
* The combination of Substitute and Leech Seed takes advantage of Prankster, allowing Whimsicott to catch a switch-in with Leech Seed and proceed to stall its opponent out with Substitute. However, this set causes Whimsicott to be vulnerable to Grass-types since it will be unable to do anything to them.
* Switcheroo + Choice Item or Lagging Tail can be used to cripple the tier's multitude of fast or item-reliant Pokemon such as Chansey, Alolan-Marowak, Pheromosa, and Greninja.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Greninja, Mega Gyarados, and Hoopa-U can easily switch into Whimsicott's supportive moves or use it as set-up bait due to their immunity to moves affected by Prankster. Mandibuzz can Taunt Whimsicott without worrying about being taunted back, preventing Whimsicott from providing any utility.

**Psychic Terrain**: Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain nullifies the effects of Prankster to all grounded targets, which also allows them them to freely switch in to Whimsicott.

**Steel-types**: Common Steel-types such as Celesteela, Magnezone, and Heatran are able to threaten Whimsicott out with Steel-type STAB. However, Mega Scizor and Kartana must be wary of being locked into Swords Dance.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both forms of Mega Charizard, Alolan Marowak, and Volcanion threaten Whimsicott with a Fire-type STAB move. However, Mega Charizard X and Volcarona must be wary of being locked into their respective boosting moves.

**Fast Priority Attackers**: Fast attackers with access to priority such as Mega Scizor, Mega Pinsir, and Weavile are capable of knocking out Whimsicott after some prior damage.
I'm not a qc or gp member or anything, but the first sentence doesn't make sense grammarptically. It should be either '* Due to Whimsicott's movepool and amazing natural Speed, it can support its team while disrupting the opponents' or 'Whimsicott has a great move pool and natural speed, allowing it to support its team while disrupting the opponent's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)