Whimsicott

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzplr

formerly SuperLuigi9624
Overview
########

Whimsicott, at first glance, appears as just another Prankster status spreader. You know, in the same ball league as Thundurus, who actually boasts offensive presence and isn’t completely destroyed by Ferrothorn? Yeah, that thing. Well, Whimsicott actually has quite a few things going for it; it’s just maybe… uh, “outclassed” to say the least. But, if you feel you’re ready, the world of Whimsicott awaits!

+Simply wonderful ability in Prankster

+Simply wonderful movepool in status moves

+Decent defenses

+Decent defensive typing; only weak to fire with its other two weaknesses being fairly uncommon attacking types.

+Can completely shut down threats such as Mega Charizard X. Impressive, considering it’s weakness.

+Can fully invest in bulk because its speed will be obsolete anyway, thus improving its defenses

+Priority Encore says hi.

+Prankster Subseed says hi.

+If you try to set up on Whimsicott… heh, Encore. Subseed.

+Immunity to dragons is simply wonderful.

+Doesn’t require too much support aside from a Thunder Wave to help it in fighting Grass-types.

-Doesn’t have any damaging options aside from Leech Seed

-Walled by Ferrothorn, with other Grass types being less common due to their usual lack of viability/options to hit Whimsicott.

-It’s relatively difficult to switch in with Whimsicott, considering the risks.

-Bullet Punch and Poison attacks.

-Outclassed by Thundurus(?)

NOT THUNDURUS
########
name: NOT THUNDURUS
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Stun Spore
move 4: Encore
ability: Prankster
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

You might’ve seen something similar this exact set in Ubers, and for good reason – this is pretty much Whimsicott’s only decent set. Substitute and Leech Seed are for Subseed, which works extremely well with its decent defensive typing and Prankster. Substitute allows it to stall out some attacks such as Mega Charizard X’s Flare Blitz, chipping it a little with recoil, potentially predicting a switch, and, as before mentioned, Subseed. Leech Seed required for Subseed. It lets Whimsicott recover its health at an extremely quick rate with Leftovers, good defenses, and the Leech Seed recovery.

Set Details
========

As Whimsicott has no attacking moves, you need to max out it’s bulk, with no speed investment because Prankster gives priority. You can try playing around with the EVs and natures, such as using a Calm nature with a more specially defensive spread. Bold is given for extra bulk, and its physical attack is useless anyway aside from a very, very rare struggle. It’s taken over Impish to minimize confusion damage. Leftovers is the best option for Whimsicott as it tries to have bulk and helps make extra substitutes.

Usage Tips
========

Whimsicott actually works fairly well as an anti-lead, as most of those try to set up Stealth Rock which Whimsicott can proceed to use Substitute, Encore them, and then Stun Spore whatever Whimsicott just so happens to catch. In the downtime, you can set up a Leech Seed behind a Sub to try to whittle down your opponents. If you manage to Encore the opponent into a non-lethal move, you’re behind a Substitute, they’re paralyzed and have a Leech Seed planted, and your best option is to either switch into what checks it or start spamming Stun Spore because it has the most PP, with 48. As for getting Whimsicott in, try to switch into a resisted hit or a turn you know your opponent is going to set up, which is where Whimsicott can stop them.

Team Options
========

Like its other paralyzing brethren, you don’t need much team support as Whimsicott is usually the one doing the supporting by itself. The only real support it needs is in paralyzing Grass types, and thus, Thunder Wave Chansey makes a good partner. Instead, you’ll want to look for Pokémon that can benefit from Whimsicott’s gifts, such as Mega Charizard Y, Azumarill, Bisharp, Conkeldurr, Black Kyurem and Mamoswine.

Other Options
########

*Taunt can be used to shut down things such as Heal Bell and Aromatherapy who can stop Whimsicott’s efforts, though Whimsicott usually benefits from the opponent setting up with moves like Calm Mind and Swords Dance, so be conservative when Taunting.

*Hidden Power Fire with a more offensive spread is a decent option when behind a Substitute to slightly tickle Ferrothorn and Scizor. Though, keep in mind that Whimsicott’s most expendable options are Substitute and Leech Seed, and Whimsicott usually needs a Substitute to not get destroyed by a Steel-type move, so, once again, it’s usually more worth it to use another Pokémon who handles these Pokémon such as Mega Charizard Y.

*Memento is another option for when Whimsicott is done with it's work, as it nearly completely shuts down all offensive threats with it's stat drop.

*Tailwind gets priority and is extremely useful for speeding up some of your slower Pokémon. I personally don't recommend it because Stun Spore will slow your opponent down anyway, but Tailwind isn't affected by moves like Heal Bell.

Checks & Counters
########

*Ferrothorn is the bane of this thing’s existence.

*Scizor is pretty bad too, but he won’t go down without a fight from Stun Spore.

*Talonflame can outspeed and kill with Brave Bird.

*Venusaur.

*Anything with a Poison move.

Last edited:
I know this is a WIP, but I would make a mention of both Memento and Tailwind, as Prankster allows you to somewhat reliably sack Whimsicott to bring in a sweeper/cleaner either safely or with a Speed boost. I dunno where QC wants them (Moves or OO), but I feel both should be considered on Whimsicott

I am pretty sure there was a specific reason QC wanted a Whimsicott analysis and I think an annoyer set was not it. It had something to do with Memento or Tailwind, like craymond stated, and annoyer sets have been consistently proven to be inherently gimmicky.

jzplr

formerly SuperLuigi9624
I know this is a WIP, but I would make a mention of both Memento and Tailwind, as Prankster allows you to somewhat reliably sack Whimsicott to bring in a sweeper/cleaner either safely or with a Speed boost. I dunno where QC wants them (Moves or OO), but I feel both should be considered on Whimsicott
Added

jzplr

formerly SuperLuigi9624
I am pretty sure there was a specific reason QC wanted a Whimsicott analysis and I think an annoyer set was not it. It had something to do with Memento or Tailwind, like craymond stated, and annoyer sets have been consistently proven to be inherently gimmicky.
Really?

It's usable, and I added Tailwind and Momento in Other Options, but I always found this set to be extremely viable with my team.

Should I just add another set with all these other options?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really?

It's usable, and I added Tailwind and Momento in Other Options, but I always found this set to be extremely viable with my team.

Should I just add another set with all these other options?
Yes.

Additionally, if you MUST add that annoyer set, please do show logs with it working in practice under a good Pokemon Showdown rating.

Also, since this is in QC stage, this must be in skeleton form. Please take a a glance at other analyses in the forum with under 2 QC checks to get a gist of what you must do.

jzplr

formerly SuperLuigi9624
Yes.

Additionally, if you MUST add that annoyer set, please do show logs with it working in practice under a good Pokemon Showdown rating.

Also, since this is in QC stage, this must be in skeleton form. Please take a a glance at other analyses in the forum with under 2 QC checks to get a gist of what you must do.
I'll get to work on the other set.

I'll go fetch a few replays, but it might take a while considering I'm fairly low on the suspect ladder.

Darn, people were telling me that this works for a skeleton. Alright, I'll fix it up.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The annoyer set is bad. Stun Spore can't affect Grass-types (which also wall that set) and has a miss chance so you're better off using Thundurus (which can also threaten things). Priority Encore is cool and all but then why not use Liepard for that, since it gets T-Wave, Foul Play, and Knock Off so it can provide some sort of threat.

get rid of the current set unless you have a replay that truly displays its effectiveness and can argue for it's placement. while you're at it, please incorporate this set as this is really the only reason why whimsicott is viable in ou. http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...tion-no-shitty-gimmicks.3521766/#post-5908357 . also agreeing with everyone else, a tailwind taunt encore memento/endeavor focus sash set should be included, as it is notorious for its use on geo/smashpass builds.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Memento/Endeavor
- Tailwind

once you do, i'll come back to check on this.

this shows a lack of meta knowledge and there is no point having us invest more time into basically doing this ourselves.

don't be discouraged from contributing, but lurk a bit more for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)