Who Needs Defense? - An Ubers RMT

Hey Smogonites!, I have had some great ladder runs with this team and I recently decided to retire it. The idea I had when building this team was that 2 or 3 strong sweepers would wear down the opponents team and then a mixed sweeper would come in and clean up.

Team Building Process (Warning Long)​
First off, I wanted to use Shaymin-S as a sort of anti-lead and have Kyurem-B as my late game mixed sweeper

Now I wanted a good check to Kyogre, the great king of the uber tier, as well as a special sweeper. I chose GrassCeus (that sounds so Spanish!). Arceus-Grass can survive a hit from Water Spout and hit Kyogre in return with a super-effective Judgment.

Now I needed a physical sweeper that could take care of special walls GrassCeus has trouble with. I chose Ho-Oh because it can take hits fairly well and still hit hard with Brave Bird and Sacred Fire.

I now wanted a good mixed sweeper to help Ho-Oh and GrassCeus weaken the opponents team. Giratina-O came to mind as it has priority in the form of Shadow Sneak and powerful moves like Draco Meteor under its belt.

Finally, I wanted a revenge killer. I chose Kyogre. Its Water Spout will put a dent in nearly anything in its path.

After playing for a while, I found some flaws. Ho-Oh and Kyogre has horrible synergy. Rain weakens one of Ho-Ohs STABs and boosts super-effective water-type attacks. I changed Ho-Oh to Manaphy, who has much better synergy with Kyogre.

I also did not like how Giratina was performing so I switched in Rayquaza who has better offenses and brings a slightly higher speed to the table.

I realized that I did not have a desingnated physical sweeper so I switched GrassCeus to ExtremeKiller Arceus.

Manaphy started falling short of expectations. It was unable to take hits and the rain it relied on was often removed by other weather starters. I decided to go with Calm Mind Latios as a replacement.

The I switched Latios to Specs Dialga because Latios just wasnt up to expectations.

I knew having 3 choiced Pokemon isnt that good so I switched Dialga to Mewtwo since its faster and gets Psystrike to break through special walls.

The main reason I brought in Rayqauza in place of Giratina was for higher speed and larger attacking stats right? Why not bring in a even stronger mixed sweeper. Deoxys-A now found its home in my team.

I was having trouble with Kyogre since I gave up GrassCeus way back when so I switched Kyogre to Palkia who is a faster user of Choice Scarf, 4x resists Water Spout, and can hit hard with Thunder.

And lastly, I switched Mewtwo to Darkrai. Enough said.

There you go. The creation of my team. Now if your still awake after all that, on with the RMT!

The Team at a Glance

A Closer Look

Shaymin-S @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Leaf Storm

Shaymin-S is the first user of Choice Scarf on my team and acts like an anti-lead, being able to deal with many common leads. Shaymin-S helps apply immediate pressure to the opponent by using Air Slashes high critical hit rate and Serene Garce to make the opponent flinch often, preventing sweepers from setting up early game. Seed Flare is simple. Use the 40% chance (80 after Serene Grace) to lower Special Defense and dish out damage. Special walls like Blissey and Chansey especially fear the Special Defense drop because it leaves them at risk of being KOed next turn if they dont switch out. Earth Power is merely a coverage move used to hit Reshiram, Zekrom, and Dialga to name a few. Its not always good to be locked into Earth Power as Lugia and Ho-Oh are immune to it. The latter can KO with either of its STABs while the former can phaze out Shaymin-S. Leaf Storm is used to OHKO things that Seed Flare cannot, namely Kyogre and Groudon.

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 84 Hp / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

ExtremeKiller Arceus strikes fear into the hearts of all who see it since it has the potential to destroy unprepared teams. Swords Dance is obvious as it gives Arceus a welcome boost in attack making its attacks much stronger. ExtremeSpeed is the main move of this set. It usually goes first and dishes out major damage after Swords Dance, Silk Scarf, and STAB. Shadow Claw is a necessity on this set as it would be completely walled by Giratina-O since Giratina-O is immune to both ExtremeSpeed and Earthquake. Shadow Claw also hits Lugia for super-effective damage but ExtremeSpeed is usually better. The last slot was originally Recover, but I had some trouble with steels who resist ExtremeSpeed and Shadow Claw so I changed it to Earthquake. As for the EVs, 172 is enough to outspeed the base 90s and 95s that riddle the tier. The rest go into HP for some bulk. Max attack is obvious.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse

Darkrai is an absolutely amazing special sweeper. After Dark Void, the opponent will hoplessly try to attack while they sleep, or switch out. If they do either these Darkrai can safely get up a Substitute to block status and set-up, or just straight up use Nasty Plot to sweep next turn. Dark Pulse has a great typing, being able to hit major walls like Lugia and Giratina for super-effective damage. Leftovers was chosen over Life Orb and Focus Sash because it grants passive recovery rather than the stronger attacks but recoil, or the ability to survive an OHKO.

Deoxys-A @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Ball

Deoxys-A rounds off my 3 sweepers that pave the way for Kyurem-B to sweep. It serves two purposes on my team. Firstly, its a mixed sweeper with amazing offensive stats and a base 150 Speed. It also serves as a wallbreaker being able to smash many common walls. Most special walls will fall to Superpower while physical are ripped apart by Psycho Boost. ExtremeSpeed allows Deoxys-A to revenge kill weakened foes, especially Scarfers and ExtremeKiller Arceus. Shadow Ball was chosen over Ice Beam because a neutral Psycho Boost will almost always hit as hard as a 4x effective Ice Beam. Shadow Ball hits Pokemon like Giratina, Lugia, Arceus-Ghost, and opposing Deoxys. Focus Sash is the item of choice as it allows Deoxys-A to always land a hit on the opponent.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Palkia is the revenge killer on my team. Weakened foes (healthy ones to) are KOed by a Spacial Rend. Palkia is one of the better revenge killers in the tier, outspeeding the base 90s (were looking at you version mascots) and the base 95s (Kyurem-B/W and Rayquaza) with its excellent base 100 Speed. Its typing is also excellent giving Palkia resistances to the ever popular Water Spout from Kyogre allowing Palkia to revenge kill with Thunder easily. Fire Blast was chosen over Surf because I was having some problems with steel-types, mainly Ferrothorn. Outarge was the choice for the last slot. Special walls like Blissey and Chansey as well as Calm Mind Latias that usually wall Palkia are destroyed by Outrage. Palkia is escential to this team, eliminating set-up sweepers that would take out a big portion, or all of my team.

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hone Claws
- Blizzard
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw

We finally arrive at the last member of my team. After Arceus, Darkrai, and Deoxys have weakened the opponents team and eliminated Kyurem-Bs checks, it can set-up Hone Claws and sweep. Kyurem-B may seem worse then his blazing brethren Kyurem-W, but Hone Claws Kyurem is extremely effective. Kyurem-Bs more accurate Blizzards and stronger Fusion Bolts making a pseudo-BoltBeam combo albeit much more powerful than an actually BoltBeam. Outrage is excellent at dishing out massive damage but I have switched to Dragon Claw as confusion has cost me the game. At a glance, base 95 Speed can seem slow but it is actually a blessing sitting above many common sweepers in the tier. Kyurem-B is definitely the star of this team. Without it the team would not be as unique.

Thanks for reading and of course, please leave a rate.

- FlapJack

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi,

So this is a nice hyper offense team. You utilize some of the strongest attackers in the tier which is cool, but there are a few annoying exploits I want to fix.
  • Weather sweepers are the first glaring weakness to this team. Nothing on your team outspeeds them in rain, and no weather or an anti-weather Pokemon really hurts you. Kabutops and Excadrill resist your team's only priority in Extreme Killer's ExtremeSpeed and hit back extremely hard with Low Kick and Earthquake respectively, and continue to wreak havoc in your team. Kingdra simply shreds everything with Draco Meteor / Outrage / Hydro Pump, and there's nothing you can do about it.
  • Strong boosting Physical attackers, namely Arceus and Blaziken, can also steamroll your team with their extremely powerful attacks as your team is very very frail.
  • Lack of hazards is also incredibly hendering, as your team needs the support they grant to secure KOs and 2HKOs.

To begin with, I recommend changing Deoxys-A's moveset to Stealth Rock / Psycho Boost / Hidden Power [Fire] / Spikes | (Dark Pulse / Superpower). Your team could really use the hazards, and Deoxys is capable of laying both Spikes and Stealh Rock while still demolish common Rapid Spinners such as Tentacruel and Forretress. You can ditch Spikes for Dark Pulse or Superpower for more coverage, but I think your team could utilize them more.

To fix the weather problem I recommend bringing back Rayquaza. Rayquaza is a must-have Pokemon on weatherless teams in my opinion, just to have a tool to use against weather teams. The question is over who should you use it, and I think that the best option is over Kyurem-B. Kyurem-B is, despite being a very cool Pokemon, a subpar Pokemon in the Uber tier because of its low Speed tier and narrow coverage. Rayquaza however, is a terrifying sweeper that brings fear into the heart of every Uber battler.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- V-create / Fire Blast

To fix the physical attackers problem, I recommend changing Shaymin-S with Giratina-O. Giratina-O still is a great anti-lead with Shadow Sneak and Dragon Tail, and can easily beat physical attackers with its incredibly high bulk, typing, and access to Will-O-Wisp. It comes short versus leads such as Dialga and Tyranitar, but Shaymin-S is in the same boat as Giratina, plus your team handles them just fine. Giratina-O brings you a valuable asset in Spinblocking, which aids your team greatly.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 216 Atk / 252 Def / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Outrage
- Dragon Tail

The next change is very optional, but since you use Rayquaza, it could really use 'surprise' paralysis support to cripple Choice Scarf users that would otherwise ruin its sweep, such as Genesect and Palkia. Thus, I recommend using Dark Void / Thunder Wave / Dark Pulse / Focus Blast with Focus Sash on Darkrai, so you could surprise the aforementioned Choice Scarfers with Thunder Wave. Don't use it recklessly though, you want to keep the surprise factor!

Best of luck!

Hey thanks for the rate Furai, I'm gunna try out Rayquaza and Giratina-O. I had always dealt with weather sweepers with Palkia but I guess thats not the best idea. Again thanks for the rate.

The only change I'd make is giving Deo A a Life Orb instead of a Focus Sash because if he's not your lead his Sash is probably going to get broken by hazards and extra damage is always nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)