Who Needs Unova? OU Ladder Challenge!

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Who Needs Unova?
an Overused ladder challenge ~ approved by ginganinja / Pocket / Birkal

Introduction

The introduction of the Pokemon Black and White games brought an entirely new dynamic to the competitive Pokemon scene. As everyone knows, the Unova region brought many big threats to the table, including Terrakion, Genesect, Hydreigon, and Volcarona. Most assumed that these Pokemon would dominate the OU tier for years to come. However, when you takes a look at Smogon's most recent usage statistics, there's only a single BW-exclusive Pokemon that made the top 10 cut. Only 3 break the top 20. This leads me to believe that Black and White Pokemon aren't all they've cracked up to be. I decided to build a team using no Unova Pokemon, only 'mons from generations 1 through 4, and it performed exceptionally well despite lacking any 5th gen Pokemon. I'm curious to see if others find the same result. And thus, without further ado, let me introduce to you the Who Needs Unova? OU Ladder Challenge!

Rules

Objective: To attain an ACRE of 1950 or above, as well as a standard deviation of plus/minus 70, on the Pokemon Showdown! OverUsed ladder (NOT the suspect ladder).

Only Pokemon from generations 1 through 4 are permitted, or from #001 to #493 in the National Pokedex. The banlist is as follows: Victini, Snivy, Servine, Serperior, Tepig, Pignite, Emboar, Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Patrat, Watchog, Lillipup, Herdier, Stoutland, Purrloin, Liepard, Pansage, Simisage, Pansear, Simisear, Panpour, Simipour, Munna, Musharna, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Blitzle, Zebstrika, Roggenrola, Boldore, Gigalith, Woobat, Swoobat, Drilbur, Excadrill, Audino, Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr, Tympole, Palpitoad, Seismitoad, Throh, Sawk, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Leavanny, Venipede, Whirlipede, Scolipede, Cottonee, Whimsicott, Petilil, Lilligant, Basculin, Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile, Darumaka, Darmanitan, Maractus, Dwebble, Crustle, Scraggy, Scrafty, Sigilyph, Yamask, Cofagrigus, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Archen, Archeops, Trubbish, Garbodor, Zorua, Zoroark, Minccino, Cinccino, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus, Ducklett, Swanna, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Deerling, Sawsbuck, Emolga, Karrablast, Escavalier, Foongus, Amoonguss, Frillish, Jellicent, Alomomola, Joltik, Galvantula, Ferroseed, Ferrothorn, Kling, Klang, Klinklang, Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Elgyem, Beeheeyem, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus, Cubchoo, Beartic, Cryogonal, Shelmet, Accelgor, Stunfisk, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Druddigon, Golett, Golurk, Pawniard, Bisharp, Bouffalant, Rufflet, Braviary, Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Heatmor, Durant, Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon, Larvesta, Volcarona, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

Alternate formes of 5th generation Pokemon are also banned. This includes Darmanitan-Zen, Tornadus-Therian, Thundurus-Therian, Landorus-Therian, and Meloetta-Pirouette.

The automatic ladder restrictions are that of Smogon and Pokemon Showdown. This means that, in addition to the already listed Pokemon, Arceus, Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Garchomp, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-B, Kyurem-W, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Shaymin-S, and Thundurus are all banned. Note that Deoxys-D and Shaymin are NOT banned. In addition, such clauses as Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, and Moody Clause will be in effect for the duration of this challenge.

Use a new alt, please. This is very important. We need to know what you achieved just with the team you've constructed based on the limitations of this challenge, not your previous ladder ranking.

When laddering on your alt, always use the team designated for this challenge. Do not break any of the rules of this challenge while under that ladder alt. We have no way of enforcing this, so it's all down to you being honest, really. But what's the point of this challenge if you cheat on it?

• If and when you achieve your ACRE/deviation, please screenshot your ladder peak and post it in this thread, along with the rank you achieved, the team(s) you used, and your comments on this challenge. Please do aspiring challengers a big favor by answering the questions listed below, we appreciate it!

Please sign up like this:
Name: Lavos Spawn
Alt: lavos tour 14
Ladder Standing: None
Sign-Ups
Forum Name / Ladder Name
locopoke / [censored]
Husky /
Faint / latias
PDC / la talpa
AccidentalGreed / The Trou of Kastel
Fifth / FUNdamentals
Hillz / PsychoMania
Skore / SkoreAlt
TempV1 / TempV2
False Sense / FalseSense
The QWAZ / NO!
Asterat / I love this game
exotic / beats by dr. phil
Asek / Shinig Latios
ganj4lf / EvilGrin05
DarkBlazer / Yahoo! Slurp Spider
Electrolyte / electrolytetest
Demist / GoHomeAndDie
Xelgodis / XelgodisFTW
Kidogo / Reminisence
Me So Shiny / Why you no shiny?
Admiral Bobbery / GuntherthePenguin
Master of the Six Kings / YoungLuvdisc
BurningMan / BurningUnova
King / jasonpwn
WikeCharlie / uNOva
Pokelol / DasPokelolsk
Cicada / Aurochs Spirit
Chillarmy / Stelio Kantos

Hall of Fame

BurningMan ~ 2262
Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Low Sweep
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 Atk / 204 Spd / 56 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Discussion

• What did you think was the biggest challenge when not being allowed to use any of the restricted Pokemon? Was it overcomeable?

• How did you feel the challenge tested your metagame skill? Did it make playing much harder, or were you still able to leaderboard with relative ease.

• What is your opinion on how overpowered the Pokemon that you were not allowed to use, but were required to face? Were they too strong to deal with, are there metagame shifts you would consider to correct this? Please don't derail the thread with a constant debate over this point, only reply once you've won!

• What team style did you use, and how did it fare against the metagame? Were there team styles you couldn't beat? (As an aside, please share your team with an importable! It'll be fun to disect those, and you may even be featured in a Smog article!)

• What is your personal opinion on this challenge?

Finally, feel free to share your experiences and such in this thread, it's meant for discussion purposes too! I wish you all the best of luck.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Should the alternate forms include the Rotoms, since they're basically new Pokemon now?
Nope, we're using Gen 5 mechanics, so we're using Gen 5 forme implementation as well. If we banned the Rotom formes it would essentially be "build a DPP team and ladder BW", and that's just boring.

Random fun idea: you could call this the "uNOva challenge". ;3

Name: Husky
Alt: NoReasonZ
Ladder Standing: none

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Finally. Something exciting in this god-forsaken wasteland (okay, that's not really the case, but damn. People and Sand Veil and their Taylor teams and their god-forsaken Focus Sash Terrakions and all that. Seriously).

name: AccidentalGreed
alt: The Trou of Kastel
ladder standing: nope.avi

Sure, I'm game

Name: Hillz
Alt: PsychoMania
Ladder Standing: None atm

sounds like an interesting restriction. Good time to explore some more underrated checks. Besides most of the gen5 pokes were ugly anyways :P

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Name: Temp V1
Alt: Temp V1

Same name due to ladder reset :>

I guess I've been unintentionally playing under these rules for awhile now...
Guess it's time for me to try and ladder.

Name: False Sense
Alt: FalseSense (it works)

Name: The QWAZ
Alt: NO!
Ladder standing: none yet.

Just a question, is this for the standard ladder or the suspect ladder?

Name: Asterat
Alt: I love this game
Ladder: none in OU

Also can there be a a PO equivalent to this? I am not the biggest showdown fan.

However, when you takes a look at Smogon's most recent usage statistics, there's not a single BW-exclusive Pokemon that made the top 10 cut.
And Ferrothorn isn't in the top ten? Genesect might even become the new #1. I don't know about this.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Wow, 1950 will be definitely hard to reach.

Name: ganj4lF
Alt: EvilGrin05
Ladder Standing: None (is PS! still down?)

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: electrolyte
Alt: electrolytetest
Ladder Standing: none yet

One question; DW abilities are allowed, right?

Lavos

Banned deucer.
@Husky: lol not a bad idea

@The QWAZ: Standard ladder, not suspect ladder.

@Asterat: Nope, sorry. If you want to post your rank on PO here that's fine, I appreciate all I can get.

@haxer321: Yeah I totally missed that, thanks for pointing it out lol.

@Electrolyte: Anything that's currently legal in Standard OU is legal in this challenge, including released DW abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)