Who Needs Unova? OU Ladder Challenge!

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Will propably do this when PS gets up again tommorow, but could we change the goal to 1950 + a low deviation or at least 30 battles because the way the ladder works you could likely get 1950 within like 10 battles and that wouldn't be much of a challenge.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Will propably do this when PS gets up again tommorow, but could we change the goal to 1950 + a low deviation or at least 30 battles because the way the ladder works you could likely get 1950 within like 10 battles and that wouldn't be much of a challenge.
Yeah I'll edit that into the OP, a deviation of 70 sounds good.

I definitely want to try this out, it sounds fun. Ironically, my ladder team already meets the requirements except for one poke. I may force myself to be creative and actually make a team though...

Name: Kidogo
Alt: Reminiscence (I think)
Ladder Standing: None

Thanks for starting this Lavos!

This challenge is more interesting than what I originally assumed. Having the first 4 gens gives us every weather starter, as well as most of the important pokemon running on dream world abilities. As a stall player however, losing jellicent means that I have to look into other forms of spinblocking, ones that I have found to be not as good.
The gameplay for me changed dramatically with this, as I had to use a fuller form of stall to cover more checks, which led me to look into some more creative sets as far as my walls are concerned.
I think the challenge overall helped me though, in that I learned a lot about my personal playstyle and I did not have to look at all the ugly new pokes so much.

Also, if someone could maybe PM me more about how this ranking system works. The ladder standings say : 85 PsychoMania 2161 96.1 2374 ± 151 (provisional). I've played only about 13 matches and I don't think I fulfill the requirements.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Sorry about the unfortunate timing of this project being posted, I know that Showdown ladder is being really fickle. Just keep at it.

@Hillz: You have to get the plus/minus down to 70 before you can post your rank, that's all.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Started yesterday with a rain team and its been pretty fun

Me: Do i really need to write my nickname here i mean thats kinda pointless isn't it?
Alt: BurningUnova
Ladder standing:ACRE:2262 2360+/-70

Name: king
Alt: jasonpwn
Ladder Standing: 29054039450935093509350935093752345792347509283475092384750298347093857203948572093845720934

I'll start tomorrow

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I know a lot of people have been laddering and have achieved an ACRE of over 1950, but don't forget you also need a standard deviation of 70 or below to prove you've laddered a sufficient number of matches. Please keep shooting for that benchmark, it'd really make me happy if some people finished this challenge.

Am I blind or is there no current end date for this challenge? I would love to try, but due to school and sports I may need some (Some = Many) days to actually get the deviation down below 70

Name: Pokelol
Alt: DasPokelolsk
Ladder Rank

EDIT: Just wanted to share a picture that shows I'm working on it. Were 3-0 before the loss. In the match I lost, we were at round 3, I think. Then I DC'ed from the server and could not reconnect again *sadface*

EDIT2: New Rank. Was sad after my loss to a Sun team yesterday, so I had the thought of making a new team and restarting.. After that, I've had one match played to round 15-ish, where the rest have been quits before the match even started.

Name: Chillarmy
Alt: Stelio Kantos
Ladder Standing: Nein

because Pocket asked so nicely

Wrong challenge D:< - Pocket

BurningMan

fueled by beer

Finally did it. Most matches were done with a rain team that was designed around a SubDD Gyara/Sub CM Jirachi sweep that does its revenge killing via priority with a Mamo/Breloom combo, but after playing a lot of matches with it i realized that this team was way too much reliant on prediction against some threats (and things like CM latias /Celebi with perish song outright destroyed it). I try'd to improve it but ultimately i just wasn't happy with the whole concept anymore and was too lazy to make a complete revamp.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Low Sweep
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 Atk / 204 Spd / 56 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Today i was so fed up with the Team that i quickly made a new one to get my deviation down to 70. i haven't played many matches with it yet (maybe 10 or so) but thus far i am pretty ok with it even though i know there is yet a lot to improve. Its a basic HO Team with Deo-D built around a SD Lucario/ScarfMence Core.

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Seismic Toss

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 Spd / 152 HP
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 128 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

What did you think was the biggest challenge when not being allowed to use any of the restricted Pokemon? Was it overcomeable?

Fixing holes in your team gets definetally more difficult when a large portion of the current OU metagame is out of question^^. I think you can overcome it and strategys like Rain Stall or Sun offense can be pulled off without Unova Pokemon, because unlike HO or Rain Offense the stars of this particular play styles are Gen 1-4 Pokemon.

How did you feel the challenge tested your metagame skill? Did it make playing much harder, or were you still able to leaderboard with relative ease.

Not much more than regular laddering, the biggest problem to me was the ladder itself, because it is undoubtly bugged.

What is your opinion on how overpowered the Pokemon that you were not allowed to use, but were required to face? Were they too strong to deal with, are there metagame shifts you would consider to correct this?

Actually no Pokemon seemed to be Uber or unbalanced to me. Genesect is always hard to play around but once choice locked into an attack was always set-up fodder (unless its EB) and Thundurus-T was as powerful as ever but since i had Mamoswine on both of my teams they never seemed like too much trouble.

What team style did you use, and how did it fare against the metagame? Were there team styles you couldn't beat?
I have never felt that i was losing against a particular play style than against a single Pokemon or a combination of two Celebi and Latias as already mentioned were something i usually couldn't win against unless the opponent misplayed at some point or i got some hax (or crazily outpredicted my opponent, but that usually ended in over prediction). Amoongus was also fairly annoying, but wasn't too much trouble thanks to too substitute users.

What is your personal opinion on this challenge?

It is really a cool challenge, that sadly suffered from Showdowns ladder problems/DDoS attacks that discouraged users taking this challenge and being run during a suspect test didn't help either :/

I really hope this challenge will be continued once Showdowns ladders are reset.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
nice job burningman! first person to beat the challenge, i'll add you to the HoF now :toast:

to the rest of you lazy bums, keep at it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)