1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

why dont you guys have a debate forum

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Ascaris, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ascaris

Ascaris

debate forums are pretty cool
  2. jrp

jrp wanker of the highest order

explaining the purpose of a debate forum is cool too.

what exactly would we be debating
  3. Ascaris

Ascaris

its self-explanatory. you have a single '4m' for basically all off-topic discussion. it would make sense to have a separate board to discuss current affairs or philosophical queries or ethical dilemmas or whatever topics that require a certain calibre of intellectual response, relegating all of the non-serious discussion/chat threads to your 4m. just my opinion.
  4. Solace

Solace falling slowly
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

we used to have it as the way you mentioned, with congregation of the masses for serious discussion and firebot for non-serious discussion. it was decided that it would be better to combine them into one forum.
  5. tennisace

tennisace brock you like a hurricane
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

I think a debate forum is literally the last thing we need, you have obviously never read the serious threads in cong or now a 4m.
  6. Ascaris

Ascaris

considering i joined today that'd be pretty obvious. ive been on a couple of forums which have refused to add boards for serious discussion because they thought their members were too immature or it would require too much moderation and ive never really understood that line of logic; just because introducing it may be hard doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. but whatever i guess - at the end of the day you da men and whatever you say goes.

btw @tennisace is the gif in your signature from reservoir dogs
  7. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

I feel that this is not needed. Any serious discussion not pertaining to pokemon can easily be held in 4m. If you wish for you're topic to have a serious response, then speak seriously in the Opening Post (OP). (Example)
  8. JimBob

JimBob

Well, a forum is the place for both serious discussion and joking around. You just have to read the threads to see which ones are meant to be serious and which aren't.

(looks like reservoir dogs to me)
  9. V0x

V0x qt
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Well you can generally tell from the title. Poor spelling and lowercase are indicative of fun threads, while more formal titles may include X Discussion as well.
  10. No Luck Involved

No Luck Involved

Every thread is already a debate... Just some are on serious topics and some not so serious.
  11. Idioteque

Idioteque

yeah ok V0x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)