XY LC Why don't you NosePASS me those wins?

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is one of my older teams. While I don't quite recall what rank I got on the ladder with this team, it was very effective at getting its job done. I made this because Team Building has always been one of my weaknesses. Truly, the only win I got in LCPL with a team I built was because my opponent was confused with how insanely stupid my team was.

This team is essentially a dual sweeper team with Nosepass, Timburr, Misdreavus, and Foongus providing the necessary support and taking out certain counters to allow Fletchling to be potent threats.

Foongus@ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 126 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore
Foongus is one of the most understated threats in Little Cup. Capable of incapacitating one Pokemon on the opposing team, its contributions are invaluable. It also provided coverage against two serious threats to this team: Chinchou and Omanyte. Hidden Power Fighting also helps it get around another serious threat that would wall off Flethcling: Pawniard. Foongus provides a significant amount of support to Fletchling by taking down specific threats that Fletchling needs out of the way. It is itself a hardy threat as well, as Regenerator keeps it recovering while its natural bulk and good typing keeping it alive.

upload_2014-7-21_14-20-38.png

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
This team has a serious problem with burns, which are surprisingly common in the Little Cup world. A team full of physical attackers can't very well deal with Will-O-Wisp. But Guts Timburr can. Timburr is on this team for the sole purpose of absorbing the status moves that pester the rest of these Pokemon. On top of its ability, Timburr has the bulk to survive even an itemless Fletchling Acrobatics or a Misdreavus Dazzling Gleam. Timburr has the raw bulk and the sheer power that allows it to be the most useful Fighting-type that could be on this team. Frankly, what's better than a Pokemon that turns something initially seen as a disadvantage into a great advantage?

upload_2014-7-21_14-22-11.png

Nosepass @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 SpD
Lax Nature
- Rock Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
This entire team was built to show what a potent threat Nosepass can be. Capable of effectively walling Fletchling as well as taking advantage of SturdyJuice, Nosepass is a great asset to this team. However, it's Nosepass's incredible movepool that truly sets it apart. Thunder Wave and Volt switch, along with Stealth Rock, allow Nosepass to completely cripple opposing Pokemon and easily get out. After it has switched off after its initial use, it has the physical bulk to come in on most any physical sweeper and completely wall it off. Truly, it's Nosepass's ability to continue to be an asset to its team after setting up entry hazards that gives it an edge over other SturdyJuice hazard setters. Nothing can parallel Nosepass's incredible movepool and insane bulk.

upload_2014-7-21_14-23-6.png

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 196 Atk / 92 Def / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance
Fletchling, the adorable scourge of LC, needs little explanation. Gale Wings gives Flying type moves like Acrobatics, Tailwind, and Roost priority. Add that with no item, and Acrobatics becomes a +1 priority 110 Base Power STAB move. If that isn't reason enough to use Fletchling, I truly don't know what is. On top of that, some of the most common threats in the tier are Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Scraggy that are OHKOed by an Acrobatics. Fletchling also has Swords Dance, which really allows it to be a late-game sweeper. If it has a chance to get of one free Swords Dance, it can get threat many if not all of its would-be counters.

upload_2014-7-21_14-23-43.png

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- Acrobatics
- Defog
Archen, the hipster bird, provides another layer of support that may seem to contrast with Nosepass's role. Defog, the reason Archen is run on this team, also removes the Stealth Rock that Nosepass set up. Why would I spend time getting that up if I'm just going to take it down. This team is based around two interchangeable late-game sweepers, Carvanha and Fletchling. Both of them are susceptible to entry hazards, as Carvanha needs all the life it can get to supply Life Orb and Fletchling takes super effective damage from Stealth Rock. The true purpose of Nosepass's Stealth Rock is to break Sturdy on some Pokemon so that they don't wall off Fletchling later in the game. In reality, once they have done that their job is complete. Archen's main job is keeping these dangers off of your side of the field and keeping your precious sweepers safe.

upload_2014-7-21_14-24-10.png

Misdreavus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 196 Def / 76 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
Really, this is probably one of the most annoying Pokemon ever. Although it is commonly seen for its incredible sweeping potential, Misdreavus takes the backseat as a support tank, crippling physical sweepers with Will-O-Wisp and stopping tanks with Trick. Shadow Ball is the almost necessary STAB move for taking out other Misdreavus. Misdreavus's support is almost necessary for this team. It is able to switch in on a predicted Drain Punch or High Jump Kick and Will-O-Wisp the opposing Pokemon. Even if it is hit by a super effective Knock Off, the burn and fully invested Defense allow Misdreavus to deal with these physical threat.
Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Nosepass @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rock Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 196 Atk / 92 Def / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- Acrobatics
- Defog

Misdreavus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 Def / 156 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

• Changed Carvanha to Foongus in an effort to provide a better Chinchou and Omanyte cover.
  • Changed EVs on Timburr.
  • Changed nature on Nosepass from Lax to Relaxed.
  • Changed Dazzling Gleam on Misdreavus to Thunderbolt.

Attachments

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi alphose

This is a really nice team, but there are a few minor issues.
Omanyte will almost always net at least one kill if it sets up. If either Misdreavus or Timburr are down, it will probably end the game then and there.
Spritzee and Snubbull are able to come in on Timburr, and nothing on your team will appreciate fairy-type STAB.
Not a lot on your team will enjoy switching into opposing Fighting-types.
Corphish, although not seen very often, has the potential to crush your team.
You also lack a switch-in to Chinchou.

Carvanha can take out one key threat, but no more than that; as such, I would like to suggest a more reliable defensive pivot in its stead. Foongus is able to deal with all of the aforementioned Pokemon except for Omanyte; the hole-punching Carvanha offers can probably be covered by Timburr and Archen anyway, with Timburr crippling walls with Knock Off and Archen just killing stuff outright.
Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore
This set is pretty self-explanatory, and I'm assuming you've used it at least once before. Spore cripples one thing, and after that, you can work with Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb to do decent damage to Pokemon that are weak to them. Hidden Power Fighting is a coverage move that hits Pawniard and Magnemite. Regenerator is what makes Foongus so potent; it is repeatedly able to check key threats without wasting turns healing, and can't be simply whittled down over time.

Regarding your Omanyte issue, I would like to suggest Thunderbolt over Dazzling Gleam. Scraggy is, for the most part, covered by Timburr and Fletchling; in addition, it struggles to set up on pretty much anything on your team. Thunderbolt allows Misdreavus to revenge-kill Omanyte, while also dealing decent damage to Fletchling.
However, with your current spread, Thunderbolt doesn't quite do enough to get rid of Omanyte; as such, I would like to suggest moving 80 Def EVs to SpA for a spread of 116 Def/156 SpA/236 Spe. This guarantees the OHKO with Thunderbolt on -1 76 HP/0 SpD Omanyte after Stealth Rock (56.3% chance without), while not changing the rolls for 236 Atk Mienfoo's Knock Off with a Choice Scarf, or 236 Atk Pawniard's Knock Off if your Choice Scarf has already been tricked away for an Eviolite.

I don't think Tailwind on Fletchling is necessary if your main abuser of it is Timburr; Timburr doesn't quite shred just about anything when it relies on a move with 75 base power. Archen is probably the better Tailwind abuser, but it's quite fast to begin with. Instead, you seem to lack an outright win condition; this could be remedied by replacing Tailwind with Swords Dance.

Is there any reason you are running Lax on Nosepass? A slow Volt Switch is really nice, so I don't think you'd lose much if you just ran a Relaxed nature instead.

I think a Timburr spread of 76 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD with an Impish nature would be a better fit because it has more mixed bulk. I don't think you miss out on too much power, either.

That's it for now. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)