1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Why is OU metagame so centralized?

Discussion in 'Stark Mountain' started by Xrinix, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imran

Imran
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Anyway this site is about competitive battling, and the drive to win, not some shitty little "Oh Noez everyone uses good pokemon."

You don't see Tiger Woods using crappy £100 clubs do you? No, to be the best, you have to use the best end of.
  2. AeroGP

AeroGP

Nothing shitty about wanting more than 20 pokemon out of nearly 200 reasonable choices consistently "good," especially since with Shoddy Battle we have the power to actually change shit.
  3. TAY

TAY You and I Know
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Agreeing with smarty Gorm in that the metagame is currently in a sort of transition period from heavy offense to a sort of "mixed" or "slow bulk + spam paralysis" stage, since somewhere along the line it was realized that status and the move "substitute" kick the crap out of offensive teams.

Things like Endeavor Infernape and T-wave Zapdos are examples of threats which are only just now starting to gain popularity...so talking about the metagame as if it has already settled really is a bit naive.
  4. Imran

Imran
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Then why are you on this site. Smogon is a site dedicated to Competitve POkemon and being succesful at competitive pokemon, you can see this in the team rates section and all over the place. I'm not saying wanting to be different is shitty, but I suggest looking somewhere else if that is what you are after. People on Smogon Shoddy Battle server are mostly there to win, not to play with lower Tier Pokemon, it's Smogon's philosophy.
  5. never_again

never_again

lol i know, i used to have a team of

Tyranitar/Garchomp/Creselia/Celebi/Heatran/DeoxysE
    it was so cheap

but now adays, pokemon like Scizor are so broken
    Gengar was always a big threat, although it went down some with Hypnosis going down

starter pokemon are being used more (meaning swampert and infernape)

i dont think its so much of the 600 pokemon thing, because the 600 pokemon can easily be countered
    its more of that the 600 pokemon are some of the best when it comes to certain roles on teams

i mean think about it, Nite/Tar/Mence/Gross have the highest Atk Stats in the business
    They dont come any faster than Deoxys or Skymin
    its very hard to top Cresselia's combination of 120/120/130 HP/Defenses
    the list goes on

Yes, it is overcentralized but not over 600 pokemon, it just happens some of the most used pokemon are 600 pokemon, and people build their teams to keep up with the trend

You cant really change anything because if you take out stuff like Heatran and Skymin(which im not against) then the pokemon they counter will become the new centers of the metagame
  6. ViVi

ViVi

I dont really see Golf and Competetive Pokemon being a great base for making comparisions but that aside..

To be honest Id say a player that can win say...85-90% of his/hers battles not using the 6 OU-OU Pokemon a better then a player using the 6 most common Pokemon who iwns 90-95% of his/hers battles.

Thats what I like about Pokemon, winning a good portion of the time using different strategies, rather then using the same exact strategies as many of my opponents and hoping that the stars align better for me then my opponent...
  7. The Death Owl

The Death Owl

The pokemon team everyone is mentioning takes no skill...

A; Azelf / Starmie / Weavile / Gliscor / Gyarados / Donphan is much better. :3
  8. Kietharr

Kietharr

That team gets outright destroyed by Deoxys, there's nothing good about that.
  9. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I also don't want to get into garchomp. We were right for banning it, end of story.

Point being there was already a move towards the types of teams we have now, platinum or not.

Zapdos/heatran/salamence/bulky water/celebi/[Lucario/Metagross/Bronzong] became
    Zapdos/heatran/salamence/bulky water/[skymin/celebi]/[Scizor/Metagross/Lucario . . . /bronzong . . .] . . .

(look, two more pokemon than before, it's less centralized, lol)

Point being is that it's not just that platinum came out, but also simply where we are in the development stage of the metagame.
  10. never_again

never_again

chou, in ur platinum breadkwon, you listed Skymn/Celebi
    are you talking about both as Subseeding, or both as offensive grass types
    i personally used offensive CM celebi, but i dont think they fit the same role

also, i dont think Zapdos was THAT abundant back then, or perhaps its just me
  11. ViVi

ViVi

I would agree with your last state chou (your whole post but that specifically), only thing I would add is that the metagame has been changing dramatically from day 1, you could go as far as to say that Platinum didnt change it anymore then the other times it evolved, only differently
  12. Great Sage

Great Sage

This thread is not substantiated with any evidence, and besides, the idea of restricting Pokemon on the grounds of something completely arbitrary, such as legendary status, which is only relevant ingame anyways, is preposterous.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)