Why Slaking with no HB?

Well, I saw the moveset for Slaking, and it said "Hyper Beam can be useful only in a handful of circumstances. I don't see why it is better than Return, since it has Traunt. Anyway explanation please?

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I don't see why it is better than Return, since it has Traunt.
I assume you meant to say "I don't see why it isn't better," otherwise your whole post doesn't make sense. The reason is because Return will let you switch out and Hyper Beam will leave Slaking in there, useless until the next turn which will let a whole host of sweepers setup on you.

RicepigeonKKM

Wait, who?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
HyperBeam still works on Slaking, but only if you feel like letting him stay in to take a hit or give your opponent a free turn. All in all, you can go either way, but Return is the prefered choice.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also there are very few pokemon that survive a return without resistance anyway..

Have a nice day.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tl;dr

The only time I'd use Hyper Beam on Slaking is if the rest of my Pokemon have no trouble with Skarmory, in which case I'd drop Focus Punch. But even then, I prefer Fury Swipes, so Slaking suddenly becomes a non-protect Ninjask counter, not vice versa. Multi-hit moves are also nice to surprise Pokemon that think they're safe behind a sub against Slaking. The accuracy is a bit of a let down, though. :(

The choice between Double-Edge and Return is a far harder one, imo.

HB can what? OHKO Weezing and do a bit more to Suicune? It's not really necessary. Even if you do predict properly, you're just giving your opponent 1 or 2 100% free moves. Say you Hyper Beam as they switch to Milotic and you OHKO it. Your opponent than sends out Gengar, WoW's your Slaking and Focus Punches whatever you send in next turn. Pretty gay.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Or the opponent can simply switch in Medicham or Heracross and FP you anyway while you can't do anything, or Tyranitar can set up.
EDIT: After the Hyper Beam

i'm tempted to put pursuit on it...i mean..the obvious thing to do when facing a slaking thats able to attack is to switch out to something that resists/is immune one of its 3 main attacks..

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
You could also take out your opponents weezing, only to have TTar come in, with two turns instead of just one to set up and sweep your team.

Also Raikou or Jirachi or anything else with any sort of set up.

Have a nice day.

I personally like HB on Slaking. It's as good as Return with more of a dent, I think. I mean, I know that OHKOing Weezing isn't a huge deal, but it's useful.

Not when Metagross or Gengar absorbs it and gives you a nice HARD meteor mash / focus punch or similar, at least you can switch when you use return.

I use DE with wish support though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)