1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Why Smeargle is the Strongest Pokemon in VGC 2014

Discussion in 'VGC' started by LGMLegend, Jan 24, 2014.

1. shack

shack

He coulda switched the second he was put to sleep or saw my Espeon in the team preview. It was just a funny moment because I dislike Smeargle
  2. Krul

Krul

I think that teams that run Kang+Smeargle consistently don't do well. I run it as the first two in my team preview, simply to make it a potential threat for the opponent. Then, depending on what they have, I choose my team to counter theirs, assuming they'll go for the FO/Safeguard approach if they have it.

So there's no need to use Smeargle, but it's undoubtedly an amazing utility mon that, while being predictable, has a diverse enough movepool to cause the opponent to hesitate. Will he use Transform, King's Shield, Dark Void? It boils down to a guessing game.
  3. Darkmalice

Darkmalice Like a facepalm, but better
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Are you sure this is the right replay? Smeargle isn't even in this replay.
  4. shack

shack

Liepard's Prankster Taunt says hi. So does a switch in to Magic Bouncing Espeon. Both are pretty viable too since Meowstic and Ammongus are so popular.
  5. Thunderorange

Thunderorange

mega kangaskhan's return kills liepard in one hit. Then you can switch smeargle or protect with him (if you run it).
  6. Thunderorange

Thunderorange

sorry wrong replay. will be deleting it.
  7. shack

shack

Liepard's Prankster hits first. So Smeargle becomes useless while MegaKang focus' on Liepard which leaves the other pokemon free to do what it pleases such as set up, cripple MK, SE hit on it, etc. Also if you are up against a fighting poke, you will risk losing MK and Smeargle on that first turn because of one Taunt.

The whole point is that Taunt shuts Smeargle down. Yes Smeargle can Protect, so can the other team, they might double protect to make you waste yours. Anything can happen. The point is that it is very easy to shut down using only one very common move.
  8. Mastoise

Mastoise

9. ForgottenOnes

ForgottenOnes

Not sure if this was posted yet in this thread. But what do you guys think about moody smeargle? A couple of Canadian competitive battlers use it, and they used it to pretty great success. Although its risky, the risk normally pays off with moody.
    ImperialDragonair likes this.
  10. gamer boy

gamer boy

I'm sorry, but Smeargle is in no way the best pokemon in VGC'14. It is easy to play around (i did it multiple times at uk nationals - it really isn't hard), it is predictable (you can usually tell the set from the team preveiw) and, worst of all it is frail without any particularly redeeming stat. Sure: it gets the best move in the format (and every released move in the game for that matter). However, its stats are poor, it's predictable, it is easy to play around and it requires large levels of support to succeed. Tbh, I'd prefer to use Talonflame and Aerodactyl for Tailwind and Quick/Wide Guard support, Kangaskhan or Mienshao for Fake Out support, Amoonguss for sleep and redirection support and Klefki or Meowstic-M for Safeguard support. The fact is that Smeargle should only really be used on teams which need to still have five team slots free while also needing more than one or two of those support features. That is just how situational the effective use of Smeargle is.

Moody is the only ability that should be considered on Smeargle tbh. Its other abilities are of no use to it (when will it be attacking, so no technician. Confusion is too rare to really prepare for too much) and Moody is usually more reward than it is risk as it will be boosting by 2 while only dropping one. And, if you're lucky enough to get both a rise and a fall in the same stat (not sure if that's possible, but researching is effort), you get a completely free boost out of it. Basically, what Smeargle needs to do is try and survive long enough to get an evasion boost and possibly an accuracy boost, and that isn't particularly difficult when you're getting defensive boosts all over the shop, and then that is when it actually becomes something that is worth worrying about, but it takes turn after turn to reach that unstoppable point, and the timer will probably take its toll very quickly if you do reach such a point, causing easy timestalling.
  11. Mastoise

Mastoise

12. Professor Birch

Professor Birch

Ok not to sound rude but it was already clearly stated that Smeargle is not the best VGC 14 Pokemon so can we please stop reviving this thread?
    gamer boy likes this.
  13. ForgottenOnes

ForgottenOnes

Well this year at US nats, a confuse ray Sableye made it to the top 8 I believe. It was used beautifully. But yeah you are right. Moody isn't always a good thing tho.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)