Why the hell aren't you using him yet!?! (Rhyperior Discussion)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can attest that Tyranitar and Rhyperior, despite seen as a bad combination, make a powerful duo when you can use them right. I know you would find a way to use them together (and trust me once you get the hang of things its rather easy) and like I said the Choice Band Tyranitar still accomplishes most of the work thanks to Aqua Tail. It eliminates the troublesome physical walls and, when Tyranitar feels threated by Bronzong, swap to Rhyperior and start wrecking shit. I'm glad that you've found a way to use it Chou. Actually I'd like to add that in the OP myself if you don't mind.

As for the rest of you, I'd like to question how many times you've actually USED Rhyperior. Want to make the argument about accuracy? Why do you use Focus Blast on Gengar? Why do we use Fire Blast on Infernape? Megahorn's accuracy is the same AS Fire Blast but with more PP. It's never stopped anyone from using it on Heracross either... so what the hell?

MythTrainerInfinity said:
In short use a pokémon for its strengths that it has over others (hey I'm using Venusaur in OU and it cleans up Toxic Spikes and puts things to sleep like no one's business) and not just because it beats everything else in a certain specialized area.
And that is the point that I am bringing up to everyone. You should use Rhyperior to its strengths as like how I am showing. Trust me, using Rhyperior requires a little more creativity than one usually can muster; however, it is very effective in OU. I'm not trying to overhype this either because it is easy to prove how much of a threat it can be in the OU environment.
SceptileGen said:
waited to see someone at least mention this (that paralysis support part). Not just for the LO SD version though.

I remembered Obi's team and thought, "Screw Machamp, Rhyperior should be able to fit as well." Obviously I had to change a lot of it... I don't mean that I copied but used Rhyperior instead, but rather used the same idea. Rhyperior's going to be moving first in nearly all situations against a paralyzed opponent.

I like it better than BPing Speed because the elimination of one Pokemon can frequently screw that up; I dislike Trick Room because you generally don't have enough time to sweep or set up or whatever.

Of course, Celebi and Starmie are huge threats to Rhyperior, and both have Natural Cure to effectively not be paralyzed...so... it's still not the greatest plan.

I think I've been successfully persuaded into believing that the best Rhyperior set is the Substitute SD one. I'm not saying Rhyperior is the overall best physical Pokemon (I understand it can take special hits) though.

The one and only thing that really peeves me about using Rhyperior is, though, the somewhat inaccurate moves. I use the CB version, and I think I've lost many a battle from misses by Stone Edge/Aqua Tail/Megahorn (can't say all the losses; I'm not the brightest battler).
Very cool. I'm going to agree that you could've attempted Substitute / Rock Slide / Earthquake / Megahorn if for beating Starmie and Celebi (very possible). But glad you've tried it out and liked it. I've addressed the innacuracy but... it has never stopped many of us from choosing moves such as Focus Blast, Fire Blast > Flamethrower, etc before. And I'm not being cruel about this either.

I won't quote you Lightsabre since its pretty self-explainatory, but glad you liked it. Nice when Celebi wants to try to ruin things.
Stalefish said:
What a funny coincidence. Just happened to come across this...

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39469 made by Dekzeh a while back...

then I see this topic. The following link is actually an awesome example of enabling Rhyperior's potential imo. Hell it sure convinced me.
I remember this RMT (sadly I didn't post in it) but it was well-built before Platinum came.
Stathakis said:
clearly you've never played me or my quad-scarf teams. the problem with me is I have such a fetish for speed that really the only set I'd be using is the rockpolish set, or the subbing set, mainly to screw over those people who try and predict. tbh you don't really find the time to sd unless you're up against super heavy stall (which actually is quite the bitch to my quad-scarf teams so maybe i should consider it lol)
I don't think I have to be honest. But using Azumarill is cool too. Anyway, I should've put Megahorn as the option with Swords Dance when I originally wrote this (and it isn't too late to do this) and the Stone Edge / Megahorn / Earthquake combo is perfectly viable since Bronzong won't enjoy repeated Megahorns either. I've liked Swords Dance because, after using Substitute, it is very possible to use it. But hey, I'd like to see your team when you post it. Quad Scarf seems a little overkill to me however. >_>; (But not shooting it down either).

I'm not going to quote the rest because I think I need to address this quickly.

Metagross can reach past Timid ScarfTran. Point taken. But, do you really think that, after posting the calculations with Rhyperior, that he too is utterly "destroyed" by said Heatran? I don't think so. Bullet Punch Scizor becomes a problem and Ice Shard sort of hurts but other than that... not much else. Bullet Punch nor Ice Shard will OHKO (with Solid Rock its possible they won't 2HKO unless its Choice Band Scizor). Some of you simply don't realize the advantages because Agility Metagross, despite being pretty good, NEEDS that third move to be effective. Without it, Metagross struggles against a ton of threats (Zapdos and Gyarados, I can go on...). Rhyperior struggles against Bronzong for the most part and one Magnezone handles it. To handle the said three for Metagross, you possibly need more than one Pokemon. As for DDTar, you forget a lot of things about this too:

- It is still slower than Dugtrio (!!!)
- It is also slower than Timid ScarfTran
- Slower than Shaymin-S (are we there yet?)
- Bullet Punch from Scizor nearly OHKOes (without the Swords Dance)

I don't think I have to go any further with this. Hopefully you simply get the picture. To say Rhyperior is outclassed in this department, I'd sadly have to say that you're mistaken.

Also, sorry that I missed post #50, but Avalanche is still a cool option, though I'd argue that Aqua Tail is slightly better with the reliability of striking first when Rhyperior has the chance.

I used to use him to deal with Garchomp before the latter became Uber. Rhyperior's defences allowed him to survive an Earthquake and then hit back with an ice-type attack of base power 120. If it didn't quite kill the dragon, either a returned EQ in Trick Room or a switch to a fast flying-type would deliver the coup de grace.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I read this thread earlier today and I was thoroughly impressed with the review and the potential Rhyperior carries, despite failure to become a constant prospect in D/P's earlier days.

I can assure you I will be personally testing this creation to experience its capabilities.

[SET]
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Megahorn / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Liechi Berry
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Sp

<3 this.
Only problem I have is getting in a sub before my HP gets too low :(

Edit: Groagunk's gonna have to wait. Ima breed Jolly Rhyhorns.

Of course, Celebi and Starmie are huge threats to Rhyperior, and both have Natural Cure to effectively not be paralyzed...so... it's still not the greatest plan.
My first thought on reading this was that CBTar or Choice Band Scizor could be used to remove both of those threats with their combination threat of STAB move + powerful Pursuit. Might be worth trying out sometime.

Given that I saw your Rhyperior survive a Surf from my Rest/Talk Suicune, i can attest to how well it can tank. Given that my own Rhyperior did a lot of damage to your team, I can certain testify to it's usefulness.

Somehow, I think we used it wrongly in the beginning, found it not as good as we thought, and left it alone without caring about it. Especially now, it's a good Zapdos / Scizor / Heatran counter, and not being hurt by Sandstorm helps it a lot...

I rarely find the time to Swords Dance though, I bring it in, Sub to see their counter, and smack it with an attack before switching it off. I'm not really confident about it's speed, and the fact that a STAB-bed Water or Grass move will probably kill it.

I read this thread earlier today and I was thoroughly impressed with the review and the potential Rhyperior carries, despite failure to become a constant prospect in D/P's earlier days.
I think a big part of why people stopped using him was because they were trying to use him to take hits he simply couldn't because of his ability. His ability is good but even with Sandstorm he's going to hate most special grass and water attacks. Even now when I'm starting to see more of him, people seem to be throwing him into attacks he can't handle.

Personally I feel he's best when he tries to sweep rather then defend and the Rock Polish set or any set that utilize Trick Room capitalize on this and make him an amazing sweeper.

I used one in a sandstorm team, very effective with the balanced EV spread suggested in the article on him. The sandstorm really does make a great deal of difference, and my moveset was SE/EQ/Avalanche/Substitute with Leftovers. Prediction helps greatly, as well as Wish support. Worked very well for me, anyway, rather than everyone preferring Choice band, Life Orb or the like.

Ability is good but overrated. STAB SE attacks will hurt still, better trying to resist non-STAB SE, which are comparable to plain STAB attacks with Stealth Rock factored.

The main article is right in the opinion too, his difficulty is finding a space in your team that's not been taken up already. Very useful, but it doesn't usually fill a required 'job' that the other slots are used for (lead, wall, rapid spinner or w/e etc.)

Quite frankly, i only have room for one Rock type, and that place is reserved especially for Tyranitar. and then, if it isn't, i'd still use Rampardos (Scarfpardos) instead.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've found Megahorn indespensible myself. Bronzong is a little bitch. Thinking of trying Fire Punch though because Im using rock slide (for accuracy and para-flinch abuse) and skarm is a bitch. Don't get me wrong, cress is a bitch too but, she can't really do anything to rhyperior.

I actually tried out this set on a sunny day team and had great success with it.

Rhyperior@ Heat Rock/Leftovers
Solid Rock
Jolly Nature
252Atk/252Spe/4SpD

-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake/Sunny Day

Honestly, Fire punch in the sun after a Swords Dance absolutely tears through teams, while Stone Edge/EQ are used for hitting Pokemon Like Vaporeon or Heatran who take fire punches easily.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've found Megahorn indespensible myself. Bronzong is a little bitch. Thinking of trying Fire Punch though because Im using rock slide (for accuracy and para-flinch abuse) and skarm is a bitch. Don't get me wrong, cress is a bitch too but, she can't really do anything to rhyperior.
Which set are you running? I guess it's the difference between being beat by Celebi and being beat by Bronzong.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bronzong should be the least of your concerns if you opt for Megahorn. Gyro Ball, unless they use something weird like Max Attack, shouldn't break your Substitute.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Same ev's as the sub-perior listed first here. Issue is not bronzong (who is at worst 3hko'd by megahorn). The issue is Skarmory who doesn't take nearly enough from rock slide.

I just don't see how Rock Slide's increased accuracy is worth the significant drop in power...it's not like every time you miss with Stone Edge you lose, and Skarm switching in to crit SE gets KO'd by next turn (assuming you outspeed)

Syberia

[custom user title]
You're not going to beat Skarmory before it Whirlwinds all your boosts away unless you get lucky with Rock Slide flinching or Stone Edge critting. Or if you EQ it on a Roost. In both of those situations, having Fire Punch is irrelevant.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I'm not using any boosts, I'm only using Substitute. I'm essentially using it like a tyraniboah. Come in on something who can't touch you (which is surprisingly a lot) sub up, and then maim whatever comes in really hard. I don't need to kill it, I just need to make sure it can't set up on me. If Skarm takes a nice 40% from fire punch before it whirlwinds me out, I'm satsified. I just got to go do calcs to make sure I can do that much damage . . . >>

Syberia

[custom user title]
400 Atk vs 416 Def & 334 HP (75 Base Power): 104 - 124 (31.14% - 37.13%)

31-37%. So yeah, Skarm is setting up Spikes all over you, even with Fire Punch.

If it heals itself then Whirlwinds you (taking 2 Fire Punches), you'll probably leave it with 35-40% after Leftovers x2, meaning you can finish it off with something else, but at the cost of letting it set up 3 layers of Spikes.

Syberia

[custom user title]
Too bad it doesn't have the Sp. Atk to add Fire Blast to that moveset :(

ROFL, Fire Blast from an Adamant Rhyperior with no EVs in Special Attack outdamages Fire Punch from Adamant 252 Attack.

If you're willing to run Brave with a few extra EVs in Special Attack, you might be able to accomplish what you're interested in. But it'll leave you completely screwed against Celebi/Bronzong.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
@Syb-- Even if it had 80 sp.ATK, I still wouldn't use it because I wouldn't be liking to have to rely on it when celebi comes in . . . *sigh*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)