Why won't they make this a new Pokémon series?

If a new Pokemon series was created who would you want to be the protagonist?

• Total voters
Ok, so before you read this please watch this and you will know what I'm writing about.
(Not my video - just so you know.)

If you don't want to click on that link for whatever reason... It's the Pokemon Black and White 2 anime trailer that came out as a promo for the game. You compare that trailer to the existing anime series with Ash and Pikachu and chances are that Black and White 2 trailer will put it too shame. So why don't they make this into a new Pokemon anime? Some people may not like the design of those characters in the trailer and straight up don't want Ash and Pikachu to leave. (too be truthful I don't really like the design of the Black and white 2 characters.) But they could obviously be changed (I'd like to have Black aka Hilbert as the protagonist in this "could be" anime :p) Now a lot of people may say "Oh well they're obviously not going to do that they have a series and it's geared towards younger kids unlike this trailer." Well this gives them a chance to make something new for an older audience. Pokemon makes a crap ton of money as it is with a HUGE fan-base so they could easily make two separate series to run at the same time. So I just wanted to get this discussion going here and see what other people think and if a lot of people agree that there could be a new Pokemon anime maybe we could even start an online petition (worth a shot.) After all Satoshi Tajiri (Creator of the Pokemon franchise) did want the Pokemon anime series to be more action packed or more manga based right? So this is a perfect opportunity for this. I don't know about you guys but I'd be all for a new Pokemon anime series rather than have the basic 'They do something, team rocket blast off blah, blah, blah.' Besides what have they got to lose? It's a Pokemon anime obviously people are going to watch it. Plus They have enough money to run the anime we know, love and quite frankly are getting bored of and this new action packed series with a new protagonist at the same time!

What are your guy's thoughts on this? Could they make a new anime series? Could this series run at the same time as the normal anime series? Would you watch this? What would you like to see in a new pokemon anime?

It certainly has more action... I don't know if it would be deeper than the current series. A lot of "shonen" style anime go like this: These are the things that happened to occur on the quests to defeat the bad guys. There were lots of fights and explosions. People got stronger and beat bigger guys. The main characters was really motivated.
If we get that, but with pokemon... eh, I might watch fights on youtube? I think after you watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood your standards can skyrocket so high everything else tastes like ash by comparison though, so perhaps I'm being unfair. (though Attack on Titan might have a chance.) I'm totally into deep character development and struggles, as well as plot twists, symbolism, and those moments when you have to question your own stance on something. If pokemon has a more mature rendition, I say take it all the way. Don't just up the violence, increase the depth of the plot and characters to something the audience can digest.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah this is something I've wanted for a long time!

I totally understand why the anime that we know and love now has its patterns of Ash travels to a new land with only Pikachu, somehow forgets everything so all the basics get explained again, winds up at the league and does averagely because they need it to be like that to keep new young kids coming through.

However the manga is not like this. I haven't read a whole lot of it, only really what m brother tells me about it and sometimes i pick one up when I'm bored, but it is pretty cool. the B&W2 trailer's style gave me the same feeling. the potential for a sexier edgier anime is so strong, I just wish it would happen. but of course, if they did it there would be the issue of kids inevitably finding out about this WAY better version of the show they currently watch and would probably slowly kill it off.

I know we all want it to happen, but I don't think it ever will, and they should never have teased us with the glory that is the B&W2 trailer!!!

or, you know... the gen VI anime could just be totally different and blow us away. have you seen the footage of Ash stepping off the plane into Kalos? badass

It certainly has more action... I don't know if it would be deeper than the current series. A lot of "shonen" style anime go like this: These are the things that happened to occur on the quests to defeat the bad guys. There were lots of fights and explosions. People got stronger and beat bigger guys. The main characters was really motivated.
If we get that, but with pokemon... eh, I might watch fights on youtube? I think after you watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood your standards can skyrocket so high everything else tastes like ash by comparison though, so perhaps I'm being unfair. (though Attack on Titan might have a chance.) I'm totally into deep character development and struggles, as well as plot twists, symbolism, and those moments when you have to question your own stance on something. If pokemon has a more mature rendition, I say take it all the way. Don't just up the violence, increase the depth of the plot and characters to something the audience can digest.
100 % agree with the FMA brotherhood statement. With character development I don't know if Ash is really developing in my opinion and I'm not talking about the age thing
yeah this is something I've wanted for a long time!

I totally understand why the anime that we know and love now has its patterns of Ash travels to a new land with only Pikachu, somehow forgets everything so all the basics get explained again, winds up at the league and does averagely because they need it to be like that to keep new young kids coming through.

However the manga is not like this. I haven't read a whole lot of it, only really what m brother tells me about it and sometimes i pick one up when I'm bored, but it is pretty cool. the B&W2 trailer's style gave me the same feeling. the potential for a sexier edgier anime is so strong, I just wish it would happen. but of course, if they did it there would be the issue of kids inevitably finding out about this WAY better version of the show they currently watch and would probably slowly kill it off.

I know we all want it to happen, but I don't think it ever will, and they should never have teased us with the glory that is the B&W2 trailer!!!

or, you know... the gen VI anime could just be totally different and blow us away. have you seen the footage of Ash stepping off the plane into Kalos? badass
Yeah I did see him stepping off the plane it was pretty badass lol. But I don't know if going to put my hopes up for it i think it's going to be the same old same old just add some new companions, pokemon and region. But the new Kalos saga will be a bit better if Cilan, isn't there :p (Just my opinion don't bash me if you like him lol)

That short was a high-budget advertisement for the new games that used borderline movie-level animation. If they made a series using that level of polished animation, it'd have to be a short season of prolly 20 episodes at the very extreme most. I also recall that Tajiri said he wanted the games to reflect what went on in the manga, and we can only assume (and hope) that his statement meant the dark, gritty action of both the writing and the Pokémon battles, but the anime has always been an awkward gag-oriented reflection of the games + manga.
The last time an adult-themed Pokémon anything was approved, it ruined itself by having a cool plot with a terrible gimmick. They can't really market themselves toward adults, because they don't really know how for no adequately explored reason. If it was just about having new main characters besides Ash, then they could pick up Pokémon Chronicles, but even that didn't get a lot of love, because it was mostly the same as the regular anime due to the writing.

It's all a big touchy subject, ya know?

Last edited:
That short was a high-budget advertisement for the new games that used movie-level animation. If they made a series using that level of polished animation, it'd have to be a short season of prolly 20 episodes at the very extreme most. I also recall that Tajiri said he wanted the games to reflect what went on in the manga, and we can only assume (and hope) that his statement meant the dark, gritty action of both the writing and the Pokémon battles, but the anime has always been an awkward gag-oriented reflection of the games + manga.
The last time an adult-themed Pokémon anything was approved, it ruined itself by having a cool plot with a terrible gimmick. They can't really market themselves toward adults, because they don't really know how for no adequately explored reason. If it was just about having new main characters besides Ash, then they could pick up Pokémon Chronicles, but even that didn't get a lot of love, because it was mostly the same as the regular anime due to the writing.

It's all a big touchy subject, ya know?
I'm not saying make it adult just for the older pokemon fans out there you know like 15+. I just personally want to see something more action packed with a less predictable and boring episode. I'm also getting bored of Ash because he simply has no development ya know? I'd be SO happy if it was an anime with 20 episodes at the max lol. It'd be more fast passed at least :p

I'm not saying make it adult just for the older pokemon fans out there you know like 15+. I just personally want to see something more action packed with a less predictable and boring episode. I'm also getting bored of Ash because he simply has no development ya know? I'd be SO happy if it was an anime with 20 episodes at the max lol. It'd be more fast passed at least :p
Asking for a less predictable plot in Pokémon, where everything is solved by fighting, is like asking for a less predictable presentation of your food at a restaurant. The anime has to work around as many conflicts and crises as theyneed to make the anime last as long as the generation of games is expected to go on for. I'm no writer, but I'm sure that coming up with a new off the walls creative idea for using Pokémon battling to solve the problem of the day can get challenging after the two-hundredth plot idea or so. There are even episodes where the characters are just straight-up battling, because they're in a tournament of some kind, and the most predictable part of that becomes the stock attack footage that they use for each Pokémon's individual attacks.
Sorry if I'm getting standoffish, but I don't really understand what you mean when you want a more exciting episode. It's one thing to say that you want to see more intelligent Pokémon battles, like the Gold/Silver chapter of Pokémon Adventures that eatures a battle between Erika and Pryce, or even the one between Sabrina and Bugsy, but I want to know if that's what you're really wishing for.

A mature pokemon anime would have to be short and separate from the main series to work. It can't be held back by the limitations of what the main series is meant to do, such as introduce the basics.

For example, something like this:
Main character's parents want him/her to take up the family business and run their (insert) shop. Main character is a rebellious angsty teenager of 17ish though, and would rather do anything BUT that. One day he/she gets so fed up with their nagging that he/she buys some pokeballs and runs away from home. Thus begins the eye opening adventure of main character as he/she tries to make it on their own in the world of pokemon, learning a lot of things about him/herself along the way through trials and the relationships with his/her pokemon and eventually start to see that life isn't what they thought it was.
Bam. Struggling character who develops, and it's about Pokemon. Somebody print that, I want to watch it.

Asking for a less predictable plot in Pokémon, where everything is solved by fighting, is like asking for a less predictable presentation of your food at a restaurant. The anime has to work around as many conflicts and crises as theyneed to make the anime last as long as the generation of games is expected to go on for. I'm no writer, but I'm sure that coming up with a new off the walls creative idea for using Pokémon battling to solve the problem of the day can get challenging after the two-hundredth plot idea or so. There are even episodes where the characters are just straight-up battling, because they're in a tournament of some kind, and the most predictable part of that becomes the stock attack footage that they use for each Pokémon's individual attacks.
Sorry if I'm getting standoffish, but I don't really understand what you mean when you want a more exciting episode. It's one thing to say that you want to see more intelligent Pokémon battles, like the Gold/Silver chapter of Pokémon Adventures that eatures a battle between Erika and Pryce, or even the one between Sabrina and Bugsy, but I want to know if that's what you're really wishing for.
Yes, I'd like more intelligent battles because Ash just is not that bright when it comes to battling. I'm not just talking bone-headed or cocky like sending out a fire type to fight a fire type because that's his personality and the fights are more entertaining but all in all it's just the fact that that trailer just seems to be more fast paced. And by action i don't necessarily mean battling, I just mean episodes where the main characters are sitting around and a wild pokemon appears, does something they track it down and team rocket show up can get a little boring. Lets face it how many times in the anime has a wild pokemon suddenly popped out of somewhere and then Ash meets it's trainer or helps out the pokemon. Those just get boring to me and i find there is way to many of them. It's alright to get stand offish lol, isn't that what discussion threads are for :p

A mature pokemon anime would have to be short and separate from the main series to work. It can't be held back by the limitations of what the main series is meant to do, such as introduce the basics.

For example, something like this:
Main character's parents want him/her to take up the family business and run their (insert) shop. Main character is a rebellious angsty teenager of 17ish though, and would rather do anything BUT that. One day he/she gets so fed up with their nagging that he/she buys some pokeballs and runs away from home. Thus begins the eye opening adventure of main character as he/she tries to make it on their own in the world of pokemon, learning a lot of things about him/herself along the way through trials and the relationships with his/her pokemon and eventually start to see that life isn't what they thought it was.
Bam. Struggling character who develops, and it's about Pokemon. Somebody print that, I want to watch it.
that'd be awesome lol. Yeah I agree some character development rather then their friendship growing would be nice for a change. Plus some more back story only reason we're attached to Ash is more so just because we're use to him I think

Actually forget everything i said Chaoswalker just nailed it. I want a story with a more relatable character, less of the filler junk like meeting a random pokemon on the road and helping it. Isn't he suppose to be a pokemon master, a pokemon champion ? I just feel like this series is getting too stale and repetitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started to reread adventures/special from the beginning a while ago. I knew it started off kind of rough, but from yellow onward the story doesn't pick up too much. Don't get me wrong, it's not BAD. Adventures/Special has a much better story running than the current anime, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that fantastic. I guess it depends on the audience? If they wanted a show to run along side the current anime that's aimed at younger teens, that just might work.

Pokémon have A LOT of potential to be a great shonen just like FMA Brotherhood was, maybe the plot wouldn't be that great (if they base it on the games) but at least the battles can be a lot better. I mean, we have pokémon that can do stuff like Teleport all over the place, reflect attacks/status with Counter/Mirror/Magic Coat, block/disable attacks with Imprison/Disable, etc, there's a lot of material to work with, you just need creative writers. IMO Pokémon can be DBZ 2.0 (with a more elaborated plot) if done right, just with pocket monsters instead of "humans" like most shonens.
As for the protagonists, I would love to see Touya/Touko, they're my favorite trainers from the bunch.

Really, this is just a hyper condensed version of stuff that does happen (action wise) in the actual anime.
I guarantee that if BW2, specifically, got its own anime that the stuff in the trailer would be about "it" barring a few other battles/scenes and there would be substantial filler.

But the "real" reason is probably because it wouldn't be cheap.
The Pokemon Anime is a cheaply made show which makes sense because there has to be episodes week after week after week, with different series/seasons to span the time between games so they can advertise them and the pokemon

When I say more action - I'm talking battle scenes. It's really starting to bug me when the trainer calls an attack and it goes to this crappy slow-mo, split screen type junk. I'd much rather see a battle scene like Rosa's Serperior vs Cheren's Stoutland.

Additionally, look at the animation style - it's more like the movies than the anime, and I would assume it costs more to produce things like this (but a trailer isn't too much time or money because it's so short).

They know their demographics for their stuff far too well. The anime or "Cartoon" as most would label the show, they target specifically for 8-12 year olds, so they tone it down alot. While for the games, they need to keep a wider range on their demographics, as the video game industry reaches many demographics, this trailer in particular would be shounen? I believe, which is target towards 12-18 year old males, correct me if im wrong. And the show has already lost their original fan base soo much, that to them it would be risky to fund a series of Shounen styled pokemon. I for one am a contender for that, to me who despises shounen series, I feel as though it would fit the pokemon world much better, And RED PLEASE MAKE HIM PROTAGONIST I LOVE HIM . . . All homo :D

Dude, I can't believe you forgot to include Pokemon Colosseum/XD onto the list. If there were an anime based off the Orre games, I'd probably watch that.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
If we get that, but with pokemon... eh, I might watch fights on youtube? I think after you watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood your standards can skyrocket so high everything else tastes like ash by comparison though, so perhaps I'm being unfair. (though Attack on Titan might have a chance.) I'm totally into deep character development and struggles, as well as plot twists, symbolism, and those moments when you have to question your own stance on something. If pokemon has a more mature rendition, I say take it all the way. Don't just up the violence, increase the depth of the plot and characters to something the audience can digest
Thats pretty much my thoughts, honestly, IMO the plot presented in the games, specially the recent ones (Platinum, BW and BW 2) have a well developed plot, not on the level of well known mangas such as OP or FMA, but if done as an anime, it could get to the level of epicness FMA Brotherhood or Death Note had, of course the villains' backstory should be shown and developed better, as well as the problems for the protagonist. I would totally love to see the battle against Cyrus in Distortion World or Ghetsis in Giant Chasm. Imo a new prota should be introduced, honestly i have no problem with Ash travelling through all the regions,, but if a new protagonist is introduced, he should get to meet the prota from the games, to see what happened after their respective adventures, and he should win every league, the antagonist team should be a recopillation of what was left of every viallanous team after their defeats, and this time a new leader and something massive humantiy destruction-evel plan like Tsuki no Me in Naruto, that i would watch. Lol, i just created a plot probably no one would write, didnt I?

The level of bs is too much in Best Wishes, honestly Ash vs Cameron made me rage when riolu/lucario pulled a sweep out of his ass, the current anime is not salvegable imo, we all know its used as a marketing tool for the games, so they can create an anime or 15+ people, idc bout the length, but when i saw the BW 2 anime trailer before the game came out i was amzed to the level of epicness Pokemon can reach.

Obviously i forgot to mention that, while most stuff is resolved by battling, the battles have a crap ton of potential, and, as i said, if the characters are well developed, and there are plot twists that kep us interested, an anime that actually tries to be good could work.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
One of the main problems with the Anime today is that it is about 90% filler (and I'm probably being generous with that number). While filler in and of itself is not bad if used for character development or portraying the background, you can't have a show that indicates that it's trying to have a "plot"* and just fill it with the amount of pointless filler that the Anime has given us. Also, how many episodes have been about random people and mons who are NOT the main protagonists? More than 50%, at least. The show can't even focus on what it designates as its hero, and even when it does, its always pretty much the same thing without any noticeable character development for poor old Ash. Gary "Motherfucking" Oak has way less screen time than Ash and has had MUCH more character development! I sense a problem here...

While I understand that the Pokémon Anime is more or less a marketing device, that doesn't mean it can't try for a good plot, character development, or just be unpredictable with what it will do. The original Transformers show clearly falls into the same category as the Pokémon Anime, but it is (to my knowledge) still a good show to watch in spite of that fact its also driven by selling toys/games/whatever.

On a side note, I would find it both awesome and hilarious if a character (one-shot or otherwise) in the Anime was basically the in-universe equivalent of a Smogonite and used our tactics in his/her battles (Stealth Rock abuse FTW). He'd see Ash's team, laugh for about five minutes, then explain to him why he sucks for his horrible Mon choices (**cough**cough**Pikachu**cough**cough**Charizard**cough**). He would then battle Ash and prove it in a 0-6 victory. At least if the writers want to pull another Diablous Ex Machina (look it up on TV Tropes), they might as well do one that's believable and a nod to competitive players.

*By "plot", I mean attempting to tell a story, which is what the Pokémon Anime is clearly trying to do. Even a poorly told story is still considered a story for this purpose.

I can agree with Karxrida, they need to reduce the filler to those that are plot relevant, like character development. They shouldn't get rid of all the filler because you can't get to another city in that world in one episode(unless plot convince or you fly there). Ash really need to stop being this 10 kid (physically, mentally and emotionally) and needs to choose on of the girls to stick with(i say misty because he's been with her more than the other girls.) He needs to get bad-ass with what he does and realize that team rocket is incompetent as hell, that he's beaten them time and again since episode 2. If Pokemon Company does have to come out with a new anime to meet the demands of their older fans then i suggest that the turn the Pokemon adventures/ special manga into an anime. Even when that was being published it was still more bad-ass than the anime.

One of the main problems with the Anime today is that it is about 90% filler (and I'm probably being generous with that number). While filler in and of itself is not bad if used for character development or portraying the background, you can't have a show that indicates that it's trying to have a "plot"* and just fill it with the amount of pointless filler that the Anime has given us. Also, how many episodes have been about random people and mons who are NOT the main protagonists? More than 50%, at least. The show can't even focus on what it designates as its hero, and even when it does, its always pretty much the same thing without any noticeable character development for poor old Ash. Gary "Motherfucking" Oak has way less screen time than Ash and has had MUCH more character development! I sense a problem here...

While I understand that the Pokémon Anime is more or less a marketing device, that doesn't mean it can't try for a good plot, character development, or just be unpredictable with what it will do. The original Transformers show clearly falls into the same category as the Pokémon Anime, but it is (to my knowledge) still a good show to watch in spite of that fact its also driven by selling toys/games/whatever.

On a side note, I would find it both awesome and hilarious if a character (one-shot or otherwise) in the Anime was basically the in-universe equivalent of a Smogonite and used our tactics in his/her battles (Stealth Rock abuse FTW). He'd see Ash's team, laugh for about five minutes, then explain to him why he sucks for his horrible Mon choices (**cough**cough**Pikachu**cough**cough**Charizard**cough**). He would then battle Ash and prove it in a 0-6 victory. At least if the writers want to pull another Diablous Ex Machina (look it up on TV Tropes), they might as well do one that's believable and a nod to competitive players.

*By "plot", I mean attempting to tell a story, which is what the Pokémon Anime is clearly trying to do. Even a poorly told story is still considered a story for this purpose.
YES! you took the words right out of my mouth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)