Wi-Fi Blacklist Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To Smogon Staff:

I would like to suggest a notification for a user if he/she is currently on one of the Wi-Fi blacklists. It could possibly be placed underneath/above the person's avatar, similar to "Banned Deucer," and say in bold or underline print "Wi-Fi Blacklist," "Battle Me Blacklist," or "Probationary Blacklist." Of course the blacklist thread is already presentable, but it would make it a lot easier to know ahead of time instead of having to check every poster to see if they're on the blacklist. Plus, the trader can take a look at the blacklist (ie the probationary one) and make a decision of whether he wants to seal the deal or not.

Thank you.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like the suggestion, if regular mods can edit custom titles. Otherwise it would be a lot of work.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Regular moderators cannot edit custom titles or change a user's usergroup... which would create a lot of clerical work for admins. I don't think it is particularly worth it unless our technical people figure out an easier way to make it work. If they can, I think it is a fine idea.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Having it as a custom title would require an administrator and would be a bad idea for another reason -- custom titles are generally a reward and even such a negative custom title would probably just actually encourage a certain class of user to get blacklisted for the sake of having one.

We'd really need a completely new postbit for this, I think, that would only be used for this single purpose so that it would not be mixed with something we usually do as an incentive. Now I know "banned duecer" is a custom title, but it also comes with a fairly harsh set of forum-wide restrictions that discourage its "use".

I don't like this because it follows a user across the entire forum and immediately attaches a sense of negativity to them. I could care less if somebody has beef in wifi that got them blacklisted, but if they have a postbit/ct stating they're blacklisted then everytime I see them post in another forum, say Congregation of the Masses, I'm immediately going to think less of their post simply because that's there. (The same thing occurs with ICBB users but that's a justified case.) It's a preemptive negative impression on a user made almost entirely by your subconscious and I don't think its a good idea to plague users with that for something they did on one forum.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's made entirely by the fact that they're a jerk to other people enough that they had to get on the blacklist in the first place. Don't want the negative stigma attached to being on the blacklist? Don't break the rules! It's that easy. Being ICBB is the same way.

It's made entirely by the fact that they're a jerk to other people enough that they had to get on the blacklist in the first place. Don't want the negative stigma attached to being on the blacklist? Don't break the rules! It's that easy. Being ICBB is the same way.
But if they're only blacklisted for breaking the rules on Wifi, there is absolutely no reason that the blacklist should follow that person every time he/she posts on a different forum other than the Wi-fi/Battling section. It's like accusing someone of murder when he/she was convicted of drunk driving; it doesn't make sense.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Much better off reading the entire blacklist topic as it's easy enough to Ctrl+F to find username, and yes it would be too much clerical work on part of the staff.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
But if they're only blacklisted for breaking the rules on Wifi, there is absolutely no reason that the blacklist should follow that person every time he/she posts on a different forum other than the Wi-fi/Battling section. It's like accusing someone of murder when he/she was convicted of drunk driving; it doesn't make sense.
No it isn't. It's more like accusing someone of breaking *insert rule here* when it's exactly what they did. Might it shade other users', outside of wifi, opinion of the person who is blacklisted? Maybe. If so, I am completely fine with that.

Anyhow, it's really a moot point, as technical limitations of our forum software would put the bulk of the work required to make this happen squarely on the shoulders of the administrators -- who probably have better things to do.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No it isn't. It's more like accusing someone of breaking *insert rule here* when it's exactly what they did. Might it shade other users', outside of wifi, opinion of the person who is blacklisted? Maybe. If so, I am completely fine with that.

Anyhow, it's really a moot point, as technical limitations of our forum software would put the bulk of the work required to make this happen squarely on the shoulders of the administrators -- who probably have better things to do.
Nope. It took 4 years but it's finally here! Thanks anyway mingot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)