Wii U vs. Playstation 4 vs. Xbox One

Which gaming console do you like the most?

• Total voters
For me, I do not really like any of the consoles... But, if I had to side with one, I would choose the Wii U. This is because both Microsoft and Sony charge subscription for their online play while the Wii U does not. I only pick up a game once in a blue moon and it is very hard to justify paying for a whole month of online play when I am only going to touch the game for maybe three hours that entire month. Thus, Wii U just seems like the perfect pick under those circumstances. Besides, Super Smash Brothers U is another good enough reason for me to get the Wii U. Microsoft may have future Halo games but it still costs money to play online. Sony, however, does not have a title that catches my interest as of yet.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO, Nintendo need to stop with all this gimmicky 3d and touch shit and make something similar to the N64 & GameCube. I bought a Wii (the old one) Years ago and played one game on it :/ (w/e the Zelda one was. It was pretty good.) It has been collecting dust in my closet with my PS2/GameCube/N64/PS1/NES/whatever is in there ever since :/.

If Nintendo made something similar in raw power to the PS4 and Xbox One with AN ACTUAL CONTROLLER, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Untill then, PC allday.
The N64 was utterly destroyed by the PSX in sales, cost Nintendo every one of their third party developers worth a damn barring Rare, was so outclassed in terms of game developing efficiency that it led to the death of cartridge gaming, and saw a gigantic drop in profit margins/market share. The Gamecube wasn't just utterly destroyed, it was roflstomped by the PS2 in sales, actually sold less than the (at the time) uber expensive X-Box, was basically shunned by third party developers, was thoroughly outclassed by the former in terms of game library and the latter in terms of technology, and turned in negligible profit/market share. The Wii actually sold more than the PS3/XBox360, saw the return of many third party developers, had a much more varied game library, and had a massive profit margin/market share. To a gaming company, sales and ability to attract third party developers are what do the talking. The N64/Gamecube basically marked the nadir of Nintendo, and had they not went the "gimmick route", we'd probably have seen Nintendo slowly phased out of the gaming industry much like Sega in the late 90s. The fact is, Sony and Microsoft are much better equipped to develop powerful machines that can run high data games, so the only way for Nintendo to compete is to use innovation to counter technology.

As for the controller comment, you know classic controllers exist right?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Gamecube wasn't just utterly destroyed, was basically shunned by third party developers
Like Monolith Soft (Baten Kaitos), Sega (Super Monkey Ball), Silicon Knights (Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes), LucasArts (Rogue Squadron), Ubisoft (Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil), Namco (Tales of Symphonia and Soul Calibur II), and Capcom (Killer 7, REmake, Resident Evil 4). Also they both destroyed Xbox in terms of library.

The biggest problem with the Gamecube was that its controller looked like it was from outer space.

IMO, Nintendo need to stop with all this gimmicky 3d and touch shit and make something similar to the N64 & GameCube. I bought a Wii (the old one) Years ago and played one game on it :/ (w/e the Zelda one was. It was pretty good.) It has been collecting dust in my closet with my PS2/GameCube/N64/PS1/NES/whatever is in there ever since :/.

If Nintendo made something similar in raw power to the PS4 and Xbox One with AN ACTUAL CONTROLLER, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Untill then, PC allday.
Nintendo's gimmicks are actually what makes them as successful as they are today in my opinion. The DS and Wii are in the top 5 most sold gaming consoles currently and that is primarily due to the fact that they added unique innovations that affect gameplay. If it wasn't for these gimmicks, Nintendo probably would have ended up in a similar situation to Sega.

Also, if you don't like the Wii U Gamepad, you could always use this controller.

I recently watched this:
Yup, that video summed up Nintendo's plight pretty well

Key points for those who don't have 45 minutes:

1) Nintendo let the Wii grind to a halt and therefore lost all their momentum, partly by postponing games like Pikmin 3 (which was originally planned for the Wii) and waiting until the Wii U to release them.

2) Gimmickiness of the D-pad, which has no use except allowing you to defecate as you play. Also uselessness of the D-pad, partly because many games were designed for a console without it (see reason 1).

3) "Franchise fatigue", particularly of Mario. They just churn out Mario games by the bucketload and they are all pretty much the same.

4) Lack of third-party support, such as when the makers of Rayman Origins, originally intended as a Wii U exclusive, postponed the release until the launch of the PS4 so they could release it on both platforms.

5) Lack of online community, which is a big selling point of its competitors.

6) Not exciting. There hasn't been an Ocarina of Time or a Super Mario Galaxy for the console yet.

7) Lack of audience. The Wii did a great job of capturing the casual market (and bundling Wii Sports with the console was ingenious), but that has mostly been usurped by the likes of Angry Birds and Farmville.

Here's what I would do:

Semi rerelease the Wii U: That means, the price can actually stay the same BUT the package needs to contain a more bread and butter console feeling.
Instead of only huge ass gamepad + Wiimote, the package should also contain a Classic Controller (heck, or the Pro version even! Because I'm not sold on the fact that the production costs of what is basically a shiny 2nd gen Dual Shock controller translates into those 50€ I'd need to spend to buy one of those things)
Also, make third party developers actually want to make games for WiiU as well:
That ties back to the point above; 3rd party developers don't have motion and touch gimmicks in mind when thinking of multi-platform releases.
Why would Rockstar or EA release their games on a platform, of which its standard retail bundle doesn't even contain what is considered to be the most common iteration of a controller: A CLASSIC FUCKING GAMEPAD.
That is one big point: Big game developers aren't even interested in the WiiU's entire UI system (both hard- and software), so why would they even bother considering that console in the first place (take EA for example, they initially were said to cooperate with Nintendo and lauch Wii U titles; then they took back what they said and basically said that the Wii U's hardware doesn't fit EA's game design structure). If game developers could at least release their multiplatform titles on WiiU without having to basically rehash their games' whole UI to fit motion controls, that would make a lot of things easier.

That would also adress a huge ass pseudo-nieche market: Hardcore gamers who both like Nintendo's in house franchises AND hardcore games such as generic FPS, generic sports game, generic racing game; all those big non-platform-exclusive franchises such as Assassins Creed or Call of Duty or GTA or whatnot.
Yes you would lose out on rendering quality and processing power, but you could satisfy all your gaming needs in hopefully just one single console, instead of having to either also buy a PS4 OR also upgrade your PC to high-end just to be able to play more hardcore games ALONGSIDE being able to play Nintendo exclusive games.

Also yes, franchise fatigue is really BIG right now with Nintendo. All they ever seem to care about is pooping out bloody Mario again and again and again. Which is why I was REALLY dissapointed with the announcement of DK Tropical Freeze. Don't get me wrong; taken by its own merits, it is a fantastic game. As are probably most, if not all New Super Mario games released since the Wii launched back then.
But we are kinda SICK OF IT. Now DK didn't really experience overexposure to the degree Mario did, but people had so many hopes that Retro Studios - who are practically regarded as the studio that breathes new life into forgotten franchises and makes them relevant again - would work on a Starfox or F-Zero or Yoshi game (many people secretly wished they would bring out a new Metroid just so everyone could forget about the utter mediocrity that was Other M). But alas, it was DK again. It's not like people would have forgotten DK existed without a sequel to DKC Returns, but imagine how bloody awesome a really well made F-Zero would be, integrating online play with up to 10+ people for example. Or a Starfox that goes back to the roots of Lylat Wars that actually matters (note: I didn't play Starfox Assault, but from what I've gathered, it wasn't worshipped like Lylat Wars did in the past), or a 3D Yoshi game (think: Yoshi's Island style, just aim with the bloody huge ass gamepad and bombard enemies with eggs, how fucking cool would that be??).

And all this ranting without even scratching the surface of online community network management ...

*SIGH*

I can only pray and hope that Nintendo sees the error they've made in the past and at least change their policy on IP management.
Because at the end of the day, no matter how poorly designed a console is (in relation to its environment), as long as it offers lots of games that are both inherently good and different from each other, people will buy that console.

End of text.

Last edited:

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
wrt up the hardware, here's an interesting piece on rumors that Nintendo is doing just that on both the console and mobile platforms.

Playstation 4 and Wii U tie

Never really liked xbox or halo

I like sony and nintendos games more like ratchet and clank pokemon TLOZ and many more

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, now that I got an xbone on my birthday, I have all 3 systems! Currently, my opinion of the quality of their video game libaries is the following

Wii U > Xbox One > PS4

The Wii U is in the top because despite the nasty droughts, there is a nice amount of quality software for the system. The PS4 is at the bottom because besides Lego Marvel, I've found every single PS4 launch game to be pretty underwhelming. The Xbox One is in the middle because.... well, it's sorta like the PS4, except I've been really enjoying Dead Rising 3 a lot, so its above the PS4 at the moment for me! Also, as much as I made fun of that TV shit Microsoft was hyping, I've actually been using that a lot lately!

Here is what I expect the order for me to be at the end of this generation

PS4 > Wii U > Xbox One

I expect the PS4 to be the best system on the virtue of quality future output from Sony, and the fact that it's multiplatform titles are totally going to be better than the Xbox One's. The Xbox One is last, mostly because I'm skeptical that microsoft is going to keep a quality output throughout the generation, and the weaker multiplatform games. The Wii U is in the middle because it's totally different kind of console from the Xbox One and PS4, and of course, I'm a Nintendo fan!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)