Wii U

At least the "launch window" is nearly over xD

That price cut has finally given some value to the system in my opinion. $350 for the system AND an external HD is a good deal, whereas dropping $400 meant "you may as well have bought a PS4" (granted, free online is GREAT!!!!!)

Wonderful 101 is an excellent game, I have to say it's definitely an interesting and unique experience, and only on Wii U! Rayman Legends is also incredible, any fan of platforming or anything at all really should have this game! The Metacritic is 91% atm. Amazing. I don't have a copy yet, but my cousin and I played through a ton of the game a few weekends ago, and I enjoyed it.

The Wii U game stream is starting this holiday! Mario 3D World, LoZ (for an amazing price), and more! My predictions say that the Wii U will not do super well this holiday (where is dat promotion Nintendo?), but will generate an install base once the major complaints about the system, primarily it's lack of games are alleviated. Honestly, reviewers should write new reviews about the Wii U this holiday... it's practically re-launching, and has changed so much since last year!

In between Wii U of course, enjoy your X and Ys guys haha

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 are both gonna be keeping me busy until Pokemon X & Y. Both are phenomenal games; must haves for any Wii U owner. Now is actually a pretty good time to be buying a Wii U, in my opinion. I live with a bunch of guys, and we play Nintendo Land nonstop, specifically Sweet Day. Wonderful 101 looks great too, and I hear Monster 3 Ultimate is a racket. You will have fun with this system if you buy it now, especially if you have all of the Wii gear to accompany it.

Also, I'm on as Birkal, so go nuts.

Pikmin 3 hasn't really satisfied me, I'll probably end up trading it in at some point to get a discount on Pokemon X and Y. Rayman Legends on the other hand, was freaking awesome. Not as good as Origins, but still very enjoyable. My Nintendo Network ID is HomingAttack, go add me and shit.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pikmin 3 DLC is relatively perfect.

$2 for such amazing stuff.

Yeah they are all remix stages, oh well they are still really awesome. I am hoping for sections of the single player too soon. The design philosophy has really changed, there is so much more to get with more pikmin, sometimes less captains too. I dare say I don't see myself getting platinum on any of these for a while. I won't mind if they do monster DLC next but with these treasure stages I am happy (no new bosses do not want).

I went to a convention today that had some upcoming Wii U games playable. Sadly, the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World wasn't playable, only the 3DS version. This really bummed me out since the 3DS version had some very frustrating game design in the levels not called Windy Hill, but enough about Sonic. I just wanted to gush about Super Mario 3D World. First of all, the graphics are fantastic. It's a very colourful game that runs at a smooth 60fps. Co-op is a lot more fun than the New Super Mario Bros games since there's much more room in the levels and you're not bumping into everyone, and the multiple playable characters makes things more interesting. The controls are surprisingly good if you're using the Wiimote alone. Usually 3D platformers controlled with D-pads are very stiff and not fun to play, but I didn't get that feeling in 3D World. I was always planning on getting this game because Mario, but after seeing that awesome Nintendo Direct trailer and playing the game for myself, I can safely say that this game is leaps and bounds over Super Mario 3D Land, and I am stoked.

3D World is really fantastic. Level design is fun (though at a couple worlds in not too challenging) with really neat themes to all the levels but it hasn't ran any if those themes into the ground with reusing them or anything. The music is fantastic, the game feels great, the visuals look beautiful; I really can't sing praises too high for this game. Multiplayer is pretty great too, though I haven't really done the crazy competitive struggle to be the best with the people I've played with.

So yeah go play it.

I recently got a Wii U and I was wondering what are some good titles to buy for it.
Here are the list of titles I will be getting so far:
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Pikmin 3
My main interest are platformers.

Last edited:

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Get Super Mario 3D World no questions asked. While super mario 64-galaxy 2 are all great platforming games in their own right, 3D World adds a unique angle in that it feels like the original Mario brothers (go right platforming to the flag) in the 3d realm. It also has more than enough levels to keep you satisfied plus an unlockable record of your best time on individual levels once you beat the game (which is great for speedrunners).

Sonic Lost Worlds harkens back to the Sonic Colours formula for platforming moreso than the generations/unleashed one, if you've played any of those games. That being said, while it can be a fun game to play, the way in which the 3d gravitational environment is implemented, (a la Rouge's asteroid level in SA2, or I guess Super Mario Galaxy 1-2) can create a pretty brutal learning curve that may throw some people off. Expect to lose lots of lives. Insofar as story is concerned, Lost Worlds has done a great job of shifting the storytelling towards a more character driven narrative instead of a plot driven one. Expect to see a lot of old attitudes and situations that focus more on exploring the characters's faults and weaknesses moreso than seeing the character's attitudes used in a typical bad guy good guy method.

I got my Wii U just recently because an electronics store near us went out of business and sold out their remaining stock. When I arrived there the whole store was basically empty aside from a few things here and there. Good thing the Wii U is so unpopular that apparently not enough people bothered to buy one of those. So I got it for 182€ and bought another one for a friend of mine. Saved me a lot of money there.

Also do you know what feeling being punished is like? Another electronics store had Metroid Prime Trilogy on their shelves for a long time for 30€. I didn't bother to get it because I didn't feel I had the time to play it. Then when I actually want to play it, I find out they are basically sold out everywhere and the only copies I can find are on the internet for 100€ and more.
(There is another story of me not investing in a yugioh card back then when I should have ... man was I pissed at myself for not doing that)

So, Sonic Boom recently was revealed for the Wii U and 3DS. I was wondering what people's thoughts of this are.
I personally think both versions will be great games, but I absolutely hate what they did to sonic and Knuckles.

Last edited:
Knuckles is the only character design I really have a problem with, simply because they stuck his regular head onto the body of a new porcupine on the block with the buff chest. It's a bit hard to take even remotely seriously. But hey, I'm cool with the new looks for Sonic, Tails, Amy and Eggman.

In terms of the actual game, I'm not too sure. I don't think the reveal trailer really painted a clear picture on how the gameplay is going to work, so I'm just going to wait until more stuff is shown. I do have to say though, the environmental graphics are just beautiful. They're in the first part of this video.

Honestly, I'm more excited for the cartoon that this game is based off of. The writing seems to be invoking the better parts of the recent Sonic stories and the animation is pretty good, but keep in mind this is coming from a guy who doesn't watch many CG cartoons.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Infodump

Neogaf
-Big Red Button (Wii U) and Sanzaru (3DS) are making the game. The two SKUs are different games in the same universe.
-Sonic Boom Wii U is what the info below pertains to.
-The game runs on CryEngine.
-Big Red Button is lead by Bob Rafei, a Naughty Dog veteran of the Jak & Daxter series and Uncharted 1. A lot of the team members also worked on Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.
-The Sonic Boom series as a whole is being run out of Sega of America as a fully Westernized version of the franchise, whereas Sonic Team in Japan is managing the Japanese based series. The concept actually started with the TV show (made in France) and then they decided to make games with Western devs to support that.
-While speed is an element in the game, it's not the main focus for the Sonic Boom series.
-Combat and "strong narrative" are major aspects of the game.

-While not an open world, the levels are notably more open to allow for more exploration based gameplay. They describe it as "a series of classic sandbox levels branching out into more levels in a spoke-like system".
-There is a "critical path" and also a lot of side content that you can do if you want to, similar to other open world/sandbox type games.
-The game director notes that his experience on Uncharted was part of their influence in making the game in a more action/adventure direction, and that the team is making a game they would want to play. However, they want to make sure it still feels like a Sonic game instead of just Jak or Ratchet with a Sonic skin.
-Each character has different special abilities which tie into both combat and exploration.
-They made Amy Rose a much bigger character in the game because they wanted there to be more strong female characters and also for the game to appeal to girls more. They also note "If she was to break out and have a game of her own you'd probably get an idea of what that would look like based on this game."
-Their goal is that each of the four characters feel unique gameplay wise and like main characters instead of just Sonic and a bunch of supporting cast.
-The game has 2 to 4 player co-op. I'm having issues finding it right now, but I believe I saw another preview that said the game features 2 player co-op for the whole campaign and some modes that support 4 player, but I could be wrong.
-The new main enemy is "darker and more foreboding than Eggman is."
-Sonic Team will still make games focused on speed that aren't part of the Sonic Boom series. These are being developed in parallel, so (Nirolak's conjecture) expecting annualization is not unreasonable.
In addendum
  • Sonic Boom the tv show is being partially developed by Moonscoop of Code Lyoko fame (note the landscape similarities)
  • Sonic Boom the video game will fulfill Sega's three game exclusivity contract with nintendo, meaning that whatever Sonic Team is working on can now be multi platform (I've always preferred the Xbox 360/PS3 versions/exclusives to their wii/wii u counterparts, so this is a pleasant surprise)
Gamexplain does a really good analysis of the trailer, hitting upon a few key points
  • Amy's been retyped as the acrobatic one of the group, being the only person to recover from the fall in the beginning (it also touches upon how they want her to be a bigger character)
  • Sonic keeps his homing attack (also maybe boost and lightspeed dash) while gaining kicking combos
  • Knuckles can dig underground and climb again, gliding is a maybe

Also, looking at Sega's concept art, Idk about you guys, but i'm feeling a lot better about the redesigns, especially Tails and Amy

Last edited:
The concept art actually looks fine (except for the overuse of bandage ... it's Sonic not Rock Lee for gods sake), but the in game models in the trailer are just really unpleasant to look at. I'm not really that interested in this particular title either tbh.

Thinking about it for a moment, I think I've figured out why all the tape is there. Sega has made a point that this isn't a reboot of the Sonic series, but instead, it's an alternate continuity. All the characters have some sort of sports tape on them so that these characters are more distinguishable from the main franchise. Yeah, it might be a bit much, but the characters wearing sports tape has some sort of logic to it and if it helps to avoid confusion, then go right ahead.

On the subject of the game, right now I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I mean, the last time a relatively unknown Western studio took on a Japanese franchise that's more popular in the West by radically altering the core gameplay we got Metroid Prime, so this certainly isn't doomed from the start. I'm really grateful that we can play as multiple characters again. I don't know about you, but I miss being able to use Tails and Knuckles. Of course, this could all fall apart at the seams so....let's wait till E3 for more juicy details?

Just from the trailer of Sonic Boom, a couple of impressions.

Knuckles has been given the bowser treatment, don't really like it. If he was like that from when he entered the 3d console scene then sure, but it just looks weird. That being said I don't mind the revamp of character design. Hopefully there is a nice storyline, SA2 had a great storyline but everything since has been forgetableThe l
evels look really nice And why did they include Amy... never ever been a fun character. Wouldn't mind a Shadow story.

I think including Amy instead of any Character from SA2 and beyond was the best idea overall.
Those 4 just mesh together very nicely and it's a nice throwback to the 2D Sonic games where Shadow and friends took a timeout (Sonic Advance for instance had the exact same cast). Gives off a nice "Sonic and his friends" vibe instead of "Sonic and his rivals", which is arguably a very different kind of feeling.
As of right now, the only aspect I have an opinion on would be character design, and I'm fairly unimpressed so far.
As for gameplay, well there are the following options:
1.) Game is fun and feels like a Sonic game -> the Metroid Prime effect AKA 13/10 would play again
2.) Game is fun but doesn't feel like a Sonic game -> depending on the price tag of the game I'll be either indifferent of pissed about this matter
3.) Game isn't fun but at least feels like a Sonic game -> Another standard Sonic game hurpdurp
4.) Game is neither fun nor does it feel like a Sonic game -> Still better than Other M (most probably)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been doing a pretty weird thing with my Wii U lately. I got an Xbox One for my birthday, so I've decided... to HOOK UP MY WII U TO MY XBOX ONE! Thank's to the HDMI In, when I say "Xbox Watch TV", it goes to the Wii U! This does cause some lag, so I've decided I'm going to do an entire runthrough of Super Mario 3D World with the xbone's lag!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is so good.

I've done four levels so far but it's amazing. I enjoyed DKCR 3DS but everything is such a step up. The different Kong partners are quite like Yoshi's Island DS except you don't feel necessarily gimped if you don't have the 'correct' partner. Dixie is my current fav as her Kong pow helps a ton, and she has the best hover.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lucky you Layell, I probably won't be able to get Tropical Freeze till tomorrow. Oh well, I can't wait to play FUCKING DONKEY KONG (man the rage this game got is so amusing)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)