Wii U

Are New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze worth getting? I have a fairly large interest in 2D platformers, but I'm not sure whether these games are worth buying as they are simply rehashes of previous titles in terms of visuals and gameplay.

Last edited:
Are New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze worth getting? I have a fairly large interest in 2D platformers, but I'm not sure whether these games are worth buying as they are simply rehashes of previous titles in terms of visuals and gameplay.
If you're worried about sameiness, then I'd be most willing to recommend Rayman Legends to you. The Murphy levels, the musical levels and the visual upgrade do enough to distinguish Legends from Origins. NSMBU is certainly a good and challenging game, though if you're a bit NSMBed out I wouldn't suggest grabbing it in a hurry. Haven't played DKCTF, so I can't properly comment on it until I play it for myself.

DKCTR is such an amazing game... The soundtrack is probably my favourite OST of the past years... Had not heard such good music in a game since Metroid Prime! Worth a buy for the soundtrack alone

I got a WiiU for christmas and I must say it is fantastic! The truth is the only negative things I've really heard about are from a business stand point. It's a shame a lot of people aren't buying it because it's a great console

Got Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga from the Eshop. So far, it seems like a decent game. The animations are excellent and the dialogue is fairly clever and funny. That being said, it seems somewhat worse than the other games in the series, primarily due to the different jumping control and arguably worse music than other Mario and Luigi games.

I got a WiiU for christmas and I must say it is fantastic! The truth is the only negative things I've really heard about are from a business stand point. It's a shame a lot of people aren't buying it because it's a great console
To be honest, it has one crippling flaw: it just doesn't have enough of a library. Great games, but very few of them, and only one game which could really be called a console seller at the moment. I only bought one because of its large price drop (which happened precisely because nobody was buying it) and my brand loyalty. If you were going to buy your first ever console this generation, would you pick the Wii U?

Is the Wii U worth buying? I'm not thrilled about the PS4 and XBone and I wouldn't mind a new console. Or would be better if I use the Wii U money to buy some 3DS games? (Since I only have 2 3DS games)

Depends, what are the 2 3DS games, and what kind of games do you usually play?
Mario 3D Land (Stuck at the last level) and Pokemon X. I don't have a certain genre of games that I enjoy, but I find myself better as slow paced games with tactical elements than games that require precision and quick reactions.

So in general I'd say I'm not the biggest fan of platform ,action and adventure games and more into RPGs.

Mario 3D Land (Stuck at the last level) and Pokemon X. I don't have a certain genre of games that I enjoy, but I find myself better as slow paced games with tactical elements than games that require precision and quick reactions.

So in general I'd say I'm not the biggest fan of platform ,action and adventure games and more into RPGs.
I picked up a Wii U on Amazon for £150 ($180 roughly), they are practically giving them away. For a slower-paced game I'd say Pikmin 3 is the obvious recommendation (again, I got it for £20 - bargain), and it's an awesome game in its own right. It feels like a Wii U game in a way I can't really say about anything else (which is odd, considering it was originally planned to be a Wii game): the GamePad is actually really useful for being able to see where you are going without having to constantly pause the game, and for managing the three protagonists at once.

RPGs and RTSes ought to be really suited to the Wii U because the touchscreen can really streamline inventory management - however, they just don't exist on the console yet (Pikmin being an RTS only by its loosest definition).

Oh, for 3DS games, play Bravely Default. It's on my to-do list.

I picked up a Wii U on Amazon for £150 ($180 roughly), they are practically giving them away. For a slower-paced game I'd say Pikmin 3 is the obvious recommendation (again, I got it for £20 - bargain), and it's an awesome game in its own right. It feels like a Wii U game in a way I can't really say about anything else (which is odd, considering it was originally planned to be a Wii game): the GamePad is actually really useful for being able to see where you are going without having to constantly pause the game, and for managing the three protagonists at once.

RPGs and RTSes ought to be really suited to the Wii U because the touchscreen can really streamline inventory management - however, they just don't exist on the console yet (Pikmin being an RTS only by its loosest definition).

Oh, for 3DS games, play Bravely Default. It's on my to-do list.
Hmm for that price I'm really tempted to buy one, it's actually cheaper than my 3DS XL. Do you have a Pro Controller? I like the look of the GamePad but for some reason it doesn't seem too comfy.

I think I'll wait till next Christmas for the price to drop and to see what good games might be released on the Wii U.

Bravely Default seems awesome, but I'm not a Final Fantasy fan (The only FF game I a played was tactics advance)

Hmm for that price I'm really tempted to buy one, it's actually cheaper than my 3DS XL. Do you have a Pro Controller? I like the look of the GamePad but for some reason it doesn't seem too comfy.

I think I'll wait till next Christmas for the price to drop and to see what good games might be released on the Wii U.

Bravely Default seems awesome, but I'm not a Final Fantasy fan (The only FF game I a played was tactics advance)
The Wii U Gamepad is a lot more comfortable to hold than you might think. Fits in the hand really nicely and I think the Xbox 360 controller is heavier than it. But yeah, waiting till Christmas sounds like the wisest option right now, what with Smash Bros 4 coming out before the end of the year (unless they delay it) and the possibility of another price cut.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
So it looks like Target is giving away a $50 gift card for every Mario/Luigi U Wii U until Saturday (in the US at least). I think the time has finally come for me to get one of these things. It's like a week from my birthday and I should get a tax refund to cover the cost anyway. MK8 and SSB4 just better have kickass online play when they come out.

Edit: If anyone has a pro controller, are there any Wii U games where you greatly prefer the pro controller to the gamepad, or would the gamepad by itself be fine? I've never owned an Xbox console, by the way.

Last edited:
To be honest, it has one crippling flaw: it just doesn't have enough of a library. Great games, but very few of them, and only one game which could really be called a console seller at the moment. I only bought one because of its large price drop (which happened precisely because nobody was buying it) and my brand loyalty. If you were going to buy your first ever console this generation, would you pick the Wii U?
I do agree with you; the lack of games is a terrible thing. I wish more games would come its ways because it's so good.

If anyone has a pro controller, are there any Wii U games where you greatly prefer the pro controller to the gamepad, or would the gamepad by itself be fine? I've never owned an Xbox console, by the way.
I bought a pro controller, because I am a fool and didn't realise that Wii-motes were compatible with the Wii U. That said, it does mean I have four controllers now, so maybe one day I can do 3D World 4-player co-op (though I've played 2-player co-op, and honestly it feels like the game was designed with single-player in mind most of the time).

There's little functional difference between the Pro Controller and the GamePad apart from the screen, to be honest.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Okey-dokey. I got a Wii U a couple of weeks ago, and of course it is awesome. Just as a tidbit to make everyone feel bad, Sears was pretty much giving away Nintendo Land Wii Us for only $99 a few days back, but all the ones near me were sold out ridiculously fast, so I couldn't snatch one up in time. :( Wind Waker HD is truly beautiful, and it makes me sad that I missed that game in the Gamecube era. It is easily my new favorite Zelda game at the moment. Super Mario 3D World is looking to be much better than 3D Land, which is to be expected. It's no Galaxy, but it is loads of fun and totally worth a play through if you are a Mario fan. As for New Super Mario Bros U, that game is the most fun I had with multiplayer since the last Smash Bros. The single player challenges are nice diversions as well. It surely helps that this is the first NSMB game I've experienced, since it seems really redundant next to the Wii incarnation. However, it was included with the console (along with the Luigi version, which I haven't played yet), so I'm not complaining. I'll probably talk about Rayman Legends some once I've actually played it.

I really get the feeling that this upcoming E3 will truly decide whether or not the Wii U can be salvaged. It's been forever since we've heard about some games like Yarn Yoshi, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and the Xenoblade followup, which makes me more than a little worried about how their development is going. At least there are Mario Kart 8, SSB4, and Bayonetta 2 to keep me busy in the next 12 months. But man, the upcoming games are few and far between. I greatly prefer game quality over quantity (I don't normally buy more than 4 or 5 video games per year), but this lack of 3rd party support is still depressing.

On the bright side, a new Fatal Frame game was recently announced! I've never heard of that series before now, to be perfectly frank, but that's the sort of software that the Wii U is going to desperately need. I'll be looking forward to this game, especially if it gets localized in North America this time around.

"I guess the 'Year of Luigi' really is over." lol
The Mario Kart 8 [Nintendo] Direct has got me very excited, especially when it announced that the game will be bundled with the Wii U.

$329.99 USD seems like it would be a good price for this bundle, especially since registering Mario Kart 8 for Club Nintendo nets you a free download to another Wii U game (probably going for Wind Waker HD or Pikmin 3). I'd jump on this occasion, anyway, if it means grabbing that Red Wii Wheel and Wii Remote+ combo. The Wii Wheel is my Mario Kart control style of choice, though I expect many high-end racers to use the Classic Controller Pro or the Nunchuk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)