- Max Speed

- Mega Pinsir Substitute
- Sub
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- EQ / CC

Use Mold Breaker / Moxie as ability, Hyper Cutter is a niche

Last edited:
Why is Pinsir using Moxie as an ability if it hardly going to be able to utilize it? Pinsir is going to want to Mega Evolve early, so Moxie is really not going to be that useful. I can understand Hyper Cutter not being as important in the CAP metagame than in OU, since Landorus-T is not that common, but Moxie is far more situational than something like Hyper Cutter or Mold Breaker. Mold Breaker comes especially useful if Pinsir is running Earthquake, as it allows it to hit Levitate Stratagem on the switch.

Mention Cyclohm as a target for Earthquake, since it can take almost every other attack from Mega Pinsir.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
IMO all three abilities are very situational, and Mold Breaker should be slashed with Moxie.

Hyper Cutter would be great if it did something other then prevent attack drops, like if it also stopped speed drops, but since it doesn't its only ever useful against Intimidate users. Of the three viable Intimidate users in CAP, Tomohawk, Gyarados, and Landorus-T, only Gyarados and Landorus-T are really seen with it (Intimidate Tomohawk really sucks in comparison to Prankster). Even then, they are relatively rare , as Mega Gyara wasn't even that popular in XY, where Mega Altaria didn't exist, and Landorus-T is only really found on dedicated Voltturn teams. Even so, it could be used if you don't want to have to worry about Intimidate.

Mold Breaker is also situational, but more useful than Hyper Cutter, as it lets it get past two of its checks in Rotom-W and Levitate Stratagem, although Close Combat would ohko one and muscle past the other at +2. Mold Breaker should only be really be used with Earthquake, and should be mentioned as so.

Moxie is probably the most useful as it can be used with either coverage move and can be used to muscle past weakened offensive teams without having to lose a turn to Swords Dance. In practice, you are probably gonna pick off something weakened or kill something slow with a coverage move. They should really be slashed Moxie/Mold Breaker with Hyper Cutter in Other Options for those paranoid about Lando-T and Gyara.

I think Sub deserves a mention here. Sub Mega Pinsir is an old Animus set that I stole, and it's great, especially if you manage to set up Sub on the switch. I've never really been a big fan of the Close Combat on M-Pinsir, and I didn't like Swords Dance either, so I replaced it with Sub, and it can be really useful, allowing Pinsir to take hits and get KOs that it would otherwise miss, as well as stopping it from getting burned by Pokemon such as (Mega) Sableye and Rotom-W. Whether you mention it on its own set, slash it with SD on that set, or just mention it in OO, I don't mind - but it definitely deserves a mention. Also, I'd consider calling the set Swords Dance instead of Mega Pinsir (especially if you make a seperate Sub set), 'cus I think it sounds better.

In regards to the Ability, I have to agree with cbrevan here:
IMO all three abilities are very situational, and Mold Breaker should be slashed with Moxie.
Mold Breaker allows Pinsir to hit Rotom-W and Levitate Stratagem super effectively with Earthquake, which are 2 pretty common mons in CAP (17th and 12th in the latest usage stats repectively), so it's my ability of choice on Pinsir pre-Mega, but most of the time you're going to want to Megavolve as soon as possible most of the time.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest, I personally find Hyper Cutter to be the best ability. The cases of you not Mevoing right away are super rare about the only time Mold Breaker is useful is if you predict a switch and EQ it, and if you predict wrong, it can really hurt you. Moxie is kinda cool, but almost never useful, again. Hyper Cutter, on the other hand, is passive, doesn't require any prediction, and can be very useful against Landorus-T, who is a wonderful Pokemon. If Lando switches in as you Return or SD, you KO it the next turn, as opposed to it tanking anything you can do to it and KOing back with Stone Edge.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hyper Cutter would be great if Intimidate was actually common in the meta. Gyarados is rarely seen, and even then, Intimidate is only a factor if it hasn't Mega Evo'ed. Landorus-T is really the only reason why you would ever actually need Hyper Cutter, and even then you only ever see Landorus-T on dedicated Voltturn teams. Outside of those teams, you'll almost never see a Landorus-T, its not nearly as great here as it is in OU. Its only recently seen any real rise in usage, mainly from almost none at all to a little bit.

Honestly, all three abilities will rarely be used, and your choice will depend more on what you want out of them. Moxie for the ability to steam roll frailer offensive teams easier and get some nice sash kills. Mold Breaker if you really want to hit Rotom-W and Levitate Stratagem. Hyper Cutter if you want to be able to beat Landorus-T easier. I guess you could slash all three and mention why you would want to use any of the three, and then mention that like 75% of the time, you're gonna Mega Evo immediately, and they're all very situational in their use.

Honestly, all three abilities will rarely be used, and your choice will depend more on what you want out of them. Moxie for the ability to steam roll frailer offensive teams easier and get some nice sash kills. Mold Breaker if you really want to hit Rotom-W and Levitate Stratagem. Hyper Cutter if you want to be able to beat Landorus-T easier. I guess you could slash all three and mention why you would want to use any of the three, and then mention that like 75% of the time, you're gonna Mega Evo immediately, and they're all very situational in their use.
I think this is probably the best thing, but the question is what is the order of the slashes?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree that they all have their uses, but most of the time you are mega evolving right away anyways. My main argument for Hyper Cutter would just be that switching happens before mega evolution, so it can protect against intimidate even when you do mega evolve, while for the other two, you have to predict to make them work most of the time. With that said, the advantages are small, and generally it won't matter too much. Its really a personal preference thing.

Why is Pinsir using Moxie as an ability if it hardly going to be able to utilize it? Pinsir is going to want to Mega Evolve early, so Moxie is really not going to be that useful. I can understand Hyper Cutter not being as important in the CAP metagame than in OU, since Landorus-T is not that common, but Moxie is far more situational than something like Hyper Cutter or Mold Breaker. Mold Breaker comes especially useful if Pinsir is running Earthquake, as it allows it to hit Levitate Stratagem on the switch.

Mention Cyclohm as a target for Earthquake, since it can take almost every other attack from Mega Pinsir.
Moxie is the best ability in non Mega form, as it quickly ups your attack and you can pretty much OHKO anything with Choice Band and 1-2 boosts

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
Pinsir should never see use without a Mega Stone. It is literally trash without it, and does next to nothing Mega Pinsir can't do, as its both more powerful, faster, and can switch moves or set up. As a Moxie Scarf cleaner, Heracross is better in every way thanks to a secondary STAB move. I also don't know why you'd have Return on the Choice set anyways.

Anyways, I seriously doubt the viability of the Choice set. You can't even make the case that its a good moxie sweeper cause Heracross is better. Its even worse here than OU cause Tomohawk is a thing (although its sucks there too). Really, the only sets that should be included is the Mega Pinsir sets.

What we were trying to say before was that all abilities should be slashed on the Mega Sets. Sub could probably be combined with the SD set just by slashing Sub with SD. Also, the analysis you had before was pretty good, we didn't mean scrap it but post the main ideas as bullet points.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Please use the proper skeleton format (it can be found in one of the links at the top of the reservation thread). There's really not much else that I can comment on that hasn't been mentioned until you use the proper format and get further along than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)