1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Without a clue.

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Mazz, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mazz

Mazz UU's Workhorse
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

WITHOUT A CLUE
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction

After having played BW UU and BW OU, the whole idea of recycling the same 2 or 3 Pokemon between the opponent's and your own team became ridiculously mundane, and I just got tired of it. After having taken an immediate interest to the arrival of the RU right from the get-go of BW, but not having decided to enter it, I finally chose to test these new waters. This is my first RU team and RMT, so forgive my inexperienced choices Pokemon and moveset-wise.

As mentioned, I've been a predominantly OU/UU player, and have been playing those two tiers since roughly a month before the Generation V transition. Being attracted to the new RU tier with my personal favourites such as Sceptile and Klinklank, I've found this tier to be quite enjoyable

Without a Clue, just from the title, sums this team up. I really do not know what I'm doing in this tier, and I'm using my OU and UU teambuilding skills to get what I can into a team.

Teambuilding Process (open)
    1.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Where the team was built and currently sits. It's all based around Klinklang, arguably one of my most favourite Pokemon out of Black and White. Because Klinklang can be so deadly after one or two boosts, I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be beaten out. Opposing Steel-Types, such as Aggron and Steelix are probably the biggest defensive threats, so I invested in Gallade to beat them out. Because Pokemon like Quagsire and Rotom simply molest it, in came Sceptile to edge them out of the picture. At this point, something to sponge up Fire-Type attacks was needed, so another favourite of mine, Lanturn, was invested in. Lanturn's also a great Cleric for the team. Entei's on the team to complete the Fire-Water-Grass triad, and to give myself a strong offensive threat if Klinklang manages to fall. Claydol supports the team with Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Rapid Spin, making the sweeps of Klinklang and Sceptile much easier. It's a solid team, and I've only begun to start using it.

In-Depth

[​IMG]
    Klinklang @ Leftovers
    Trait: Minus
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Shift Gear
    - Gear Grind
    - Frustration
    - Substitute

Despite having the movepool of Magikarp, Klinklang has found the tier it can easily succeed in, with a matter of 2 attacking moves. The whole point of Klinklnag is to get the Substitute up against something that it walls, such as Cresselia, get a Shift Gear or two in before the Substitute, and basically blow through everything else with Frustration and Gear Grind. I chose Frustration just because of my tendencies to forget the 252 in Friendship, and for the fact that it kinda goes with Minus. Gear Grind is great STAB and perfect for busting through Substitutes and nabbing some key KOs with it's 2 hits.​

[​IMG]
    Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 240 HP / 224 SDef / 44 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Thunder Wave

The set for this Gallade is only slightly modified from Smogon's current BU Gallade, and I'm doing so because I saw this set a shit-ton back in Generation IV, and it worked. The option of Thunder Wave is great for supporting things like Entei too, not just aiding with sweeps, but giving the slower members of the team a better chance in the match. With such high Special Defence, Bulk Up turns Gallade into one nasty tank. Partner that with STAB Drain Punch, a move that's great for recoving HP while donning out massive amounts of damage after 2 or 3 Bulk Ups, and a priority move in Shadow Sneak, also quite handy after a few Bulk Ups, and not much will get in my way.​

[​IMG]
    Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Dragon Pulse

The premier Special Attacker on the team, Sceptile does wonders with its speed and ability to drop a lot of threats. With Life Orb, Giga Drain is basically the best STAB available to the leafy reptile, doing great damage and replenishing HP. Focus Blast, HP Rock, and Dragon Pulse provide coverage for Sceptile, hitting things like Galvantula after Stealth Rock damage, Druddigon, or Tauros. I'm not exactly sure what compelled me to use HP Rock, maybe for the fact that I really didn't want to use Leaf Storm or Synthesis, and went for Dragon Pulse and replaced the Hidden Power.​

[​IMG]
    Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Heal Bell

Because Moltres is fairly common in RU, and all three of the Pokemon are beaten by it, I grabbed a Lanturn, arguably one of it's best checks, taking both of its STAB attacks and easily threatening back with its dual STAB. Scald is not just a Water-Type attack to hit super-effectively. It's chance for Burn is great for supporting the team, breaking down physically-offensive threats. Ice Beam hits Grass and Dragon-Types on the switch, and completes the BoltBeam combination with Thunderbolt, a move great for hitting Water and Flying-Types. Heal Bell support the team by curing their status and allowing Pokemon like Klinklang, Entei, and Gallade to hit through Burns or Paralysis.​

[​IMG]
    Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Flare Blitz
    - Stone Edge
    - Iron Head

My backup Physical sweeper for the off chance Klinklang faints, Entei also provides a way for me to blast through some Steels and the odd Grass-Type. Extremespeed provides a great way to pick off weakened threats. Flare Blitz is STAB, and under a Choice Band, is very powerful. Stone Edge is a great coverage move, hitting Moltres and other Fire or Flying-Types very hard. I threw Iron Head in the Fourth Slot because I really don't fear Quagsire or other Water Types that much, and didn't find Toxic to be a great fit. Feel free to suggest something to go here, but I am against putting a Special Ataack there, it's just not worth it without any investment and a negative nature.​

[​IMG]
    Claydol @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic

The support Pokemon of the team, Claydol provides a way to spin hazards that threaten the team and lay some of our own with Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock. Earth Power allows Claydol to prevent Taunt from shutting it down, and allowing it to come in on certain Pokemon and hit back. Toxic is another status move that supports the sweeps of my team.​

Conclusion

So there it is, my first RU team. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated, being fairly new to this Metagame. I really haven't found any major threats, but that's with only 4 battles. Now, for a final look at the team:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

importable (open)
    Klinklang @ Leftovers
    Trait: Minus
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
    - Shift Gear
    - Gear Grind
    - Frustration
    - Substitute

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 240 HP / 224 SDef / 44 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Thunder Wave

Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Dragon Pulse

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Heal Bell

Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Flare Blitz
    - Stone Edge
    - Iron Head

Claydol @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic
  2. Mazz

Mazz UU's Workhorse

Reserving for threatlists.
  3. dcae

dcae naughty list

I was wondering, what is your lead. Also, in RU, the must cover threat is Honchkrow. Your team lacks a useful ghost to wall fighting types that are usually paired with Honch. I'd like to suggest a Rotom custom set:

Rotom @Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Substitute
    -Pain Split

This poke can take down Honchkrow before it gains too many boosts. The mindgames it can play with Honch and its decent bulk allow it to also outspeed and revenge Honchkrow, while walling standard Unburden Hitmonlee and other physical fighting types who use Eartquake as their coverage move. I cannot rate mOre ATM, will rate later.
  4. sheniqua

sheniqua

On Sceptile I recommend that you run Leaf Storm over Dragon Pulse. Dragon doesn't really give you any extra coverage (except over...druddigon i guess?) Leaf Storm is a good idea on any Sceptile set, so that when you are about to die you can get off one last big hit.
  5. Mazz

Mazz UU's Workhorse

What should Rotom replace? I could see it filling for Entei, but I'm not entirely sure.

Eh, I'll test it. Not a big fan of it though.
  6. dcae

dcae naughty list

Yes, I also thought replacing Entei would be the best option, as you already have Klingklang as a physical sweeper, as well as having a Gallade to punch through Steels. Try Rotom out over Entei, but if you need the Extremespeed priority, then switch it for Gallade. Otherwise, yeah.
  7. Mazz

Mazz UU's Workhorse

Figured so. Thanks.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)