Wobbuffet

Overview
########
Wobbuffet is the prime example of a Pokemon that is excellent at a certain role and terrible at everything else. Indeed, Wobbuffet certainly looks mediocre aside from a tremendous HP stat, but it has an amazing ability in Shadow Tag, which allows it to trap virtually any Pokemon it wants. It utilizes this to carry out a very specific strategy: trap a Pokemon and either take it out with Counter or Mirror Coat, or weaken it with Tickle so a teammate can do the same. While this might seem situational, Wobbuffet's access to Encore helps prevent any possible mindgames with Pokemon trying to avoid the CounterCoat strategy. This makes Wobbuffet an absolute nightmare to deal with for offensive teams. This strategy has its downsides, though. Wobbuffet has a horrific Speed stat, lacks recovery outside of Leftovers, is highly susceptible to Taunt, and cannot trap Ghost-types and opposing Shadow Tag users. To top it all off, Wobbuffet faces competition from a more offensively inclined Shadow Tag user, Gothitelle. Nevertheless, Wobbuffet's niche still makes it a significant threat in the metagame.

Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
########
name: Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
move 1: Encore
move 2: Counter
move 3: Mirror Coat
move 4: Safeguard
ability: Shadow Tag
item: Leftovers
evs: 28 HP / 232 Def / 248 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
This is the set that has been the consistent bane of Wobbuffet's opponents since the release of Shadow Tag. Encore is essential, as it forces the opponent to use the same move for three turns and hence provides valuable opportunities for a teammate to come in and set up. Counter and Mirror Coat allow Wobbuffet to OHKO nearly all physical and special attackers respectively. Because of Wobbuffet's massive HP and low defenses, an attack aimed at Wobbuffet will take away a lot of its HP despite not doing much percentage damage; this is one of the reasons why the CounterCoat strategy is so effective on Wobbuffet. Safeguard is a helpful move in the last slot to prevent Wobbuffet and its team from status moves.

Set Details
========
28 HP EVs give Wobbuffet a Leftovers bonus number.The defensive EVs are optimal with a Bold nature, as they allow Wobbuffet to survive both Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch and Haxorus's Outrage after Stealth Rock while also balancing Wobbuffet's defensive stats. A Calm nature enables Wobbuffet to take a Life Orb Bug Buzz from Volcarona, but this is very situational. Leftovers is a necessary item as Wobbuffet has no recovery and is therefore reliant on passive healing to stay alive.

Usage Tips
========
This Wobbuffet set takes full advantage of the amazing combination of CounterCoat and Encore. CounterCoat lets Wobbuffet trap and eliminate Choice-locked attackers and mono-physically or mono-specially attacking Pokemon, and Encore lets it take advantage of Substitute users and setup sweepers as well. In order to ensure that Wobbuffet does not receive any prior damage, Wobbuffet should not be directly switched in but rather should either come in after a teammate faints ormore preferably—via Volt Switch or U-turn.

Team Options
========
Wobbuffet works best on bulky offensive teams and balanced teams rather than hyper offensive teams that prefer immediate power. Aside from team archetypes, though, the only support Wobbuffet appreciates itself is a Wish passer for more healing than Leftovers can provide. Options for this include Chansey, Blissey, Vaporeon, Sylveon, and Florges. Chansey and Blissey are especially good partners as they appreciate Wobbuffet's ability to eliminate the Fighting-types that trouble them. Wobbuffet's Encore can really benefit setup sweepers, so Mega Charizard X, Gyarados, Breloom, and Lucario all make good partners. As previously mentioned, Wobbuffet appreciates Pokemon that can provide free switches with Volt Switch and U-turn; Landorus-T and Rotom-W can fill this role well.

Tickle
########
name: Tickle
move 2: Tickle
move 3: Counter
move 4: Mirror Coat
evs: 28 HP / 228 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
The combination of Encore and Tickle is deadly particularly for more defensive Pokemon. Encore will lock an opposing Pokemon into a move, while Tickle will slowly lower its Defense, allowing a Pursuit-using teammate to easily dispose of it. Counter and Mirror Coat are there for offensive Pokemon, but they aren't the main focus of the set.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature combined with full Speed investment allows Wobbuffet to outspeed Chansey, Blissey, Ferrothorn, Reuniclus, and Conkeldurr as well as other Pokemon that might want to Speed creep specifically for Wobbuffet. The rest of the EVs maximize physical bulk while still giving Wobbuffet a Leftovers number. Again, Leftovers is absolutely essential to keep Wobbuffet healthy, especially in sand and hail.

Usage Tips
========
The strategy behind this set is simple: to weaken walls and other defensive Pokemon with Tickle and then eliminate them with a Pursuit trapper. After switching Wobbuffet in on a wall, first use Encore so that it can't recover and then lower its Defense with Tickle. After the foe has been significantly weakened, send in a Pursuit trapper such as Scizor, Weavile, or Tyranitar for the KO. Additionally, Wobbuffet still has Counter and Mirror Coat for eliminating more offensive Pokemon such as Choice Scarf users, but bear in mind that this set sacrifices some bulk for Speed, so it might not be able to effiectively eliminate powerful attackers.

Team Options
========
A Pursuit trapper is mandatory, and Tyranitar and Scizor are the ideal partners. Setup sweepers are good partners not only due to Encore but also because they really appreciate the removal of walls, which allows them to sweep much more easily. These include Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Aegislash, Swords Dance Talonflame, and Belly Drum Azumarill.

Other Options
########
Literally the only other moves available to Wobbuffet are Charm, Destiny Bond, and Splash. Charm and Splash are useless, and Wobbuffet can't really use Destiny Bond effectively with its low Speed. A set with Custap Berry + Destiny Bond would be viable, but Custap Berry is currently unreleased.

Checks & Counters
########
Technically, Wobbuffet has no counters, as the definition of a counter requires it to be able to switch in, which isn't possible against Wobbuffet due to Shadow Tag. However, it has many checks. It is important to play smartly and conservatively around Wobbuffet if you see it in Team Preview and to ensure that it doesn't trap important members of your team.

**Alternative Methods of Switching**: Methods of escaping from Shadow Tag include using the moves Volt Switch, U-turn, and Baton Pass, by use of holding the item Shed Shell, having the Shadow Tag ability, or simply being a Ghost-type. This means that Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Scizor, Landorus-T, Gengar, and Aegislash can use their respective methods of bypassing Shadow Tag to switch in an appropriate check.

**Powerful Attackers**: Wobbuffet cannot effiectively trap hard-hitting opponents, as it risks being either 2HKOed on the switch-in or OHKOed afterwards. This includes Life Orb Volcarona, Life Orb Gengar, Aegislash, Choice Band Scizor, Choice Band Victini, Choice Band Kyurem-B, and Choice Specs Keldeo. These attackers can also easily revenge Wobbuffet if it is damaged from trapping a previous Pokemon or if it is worn down due to hazards.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt prevents Wobbuffet from using its status moves; the loss of Encore is especially crippling. While it can still use CounterCoat, this requires a lot more prediction. Aerodactyl, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Gyarados, Thundurus, Tornadus, and Jellicent can all Taunt Wobbuffet; Tornadus and Mixed Thundurus in particular both have the advantage of being able to effectively utilize both attacking stats, making it all the more difficult for Wobbuffet to defeat them.

**Magic Bounce Users**: As Espeon, Xatu, and Mega Absol can bounce back Encore to cripple Wobbuffet, they can freely status it without the worry of being locked into their status move and subsequently set up on.

**Status Users**: Status is a major bane of Wobbuffet, as it prevents it from doing its job effiectively. Toxic in particular wears it down quickly.

**Physical Ghost-types and Special Dark-types** These groups of Pokemon both have super effective coverage on Wobbuffet and have the nice advantage of being immune to Counter and Mirror Coat respectively. In addition, the former group can freely switch out if they have been Encored into a move that isn't ideal.

Last edited:

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Custap Berry is unavailable in Pokemon XY. As much as it is my favorite set you're going to have to remove it. However, with the advent of Pokebank, we also got Tickle Wobbuffet back. You may want to consider putting it in.

name: Tickle (or Speedy Wobbuffet or whatever you wanna call it)
move 4: Counter
evs: 180 Def / 76 SpD / 252 Spe

This is pretty much unchanged from the BW2 analysis apart from the fact that Snunch requested I run max Speed on the last analysis. This is so Wobbuffet can outspeed as much as it possibly can to Tickle. Good luck!

Custap Berry is unavailable in Pokemon XY. As much as it is my favorite set you're going to have to remove it. However, with the advent of Pokebank, we also got Tickle Wobbuffet back. You may want to consider putting it in.

name: Tickle (or Speedy Wobbuffet or whatever you wanna call it)
move 4: Counter
evs: 180 Def / 76 SpD / 252 Spe

This is pretty much unchanged from the BW2 analysis apart from the fact that Snunch requested I run max Speed on the last analysis. This is so Wobbuffet can outspeed as much as it possibly can to Tickle. Good luck!
I was just going to ask you if you knew the EVs for CustapBond but it doesn't matter now anyway :(
I'll add the tickle set in.

I still have about 4 different Tickle Wynauts on my Platinum game from the PokePark event in 2005.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey I got your VM,

I'd remove the mention of the CustapBond entirely from the overview as it can't exist. I'd also recommend omitting the repeated mentions of its small movepool allowing it to do what it needs to. In particular, the mention of Charm.

I'd also change 'completely shut down by Taunt' to something a bit less drastic. Counter and Mirror Coat are still usable under the effects of Taunt. Rather than 'shutting it down' it forces it into a guessing game (unless the opponent can set up... but taunt + setup is quite rare). I'd also like to note that the 'requires prediction' section isn't necessarily true as Wobbuffet will either be coming in to kill Choiced users or being using Encore (which nullifies/eases prediction).

In the usage tips you can mention that it works well by coming in after U-turns / Volt Switches from teammates to tap particular Pokemon. VoltTurn and trappers are a particularly dangerous combination when played correctly. It may also be worth mentioning that Encore can be used to not only help Wobbuffet but teammates as well. There's nothing worse for an opponent than being locked into a Dragon Dance or Recover as it allows you to switch out and set up yourself. Perhaps a specific mention with quickpass/shell smash could work here.

I'll edit this post or message you if I notice anything else that stands out. Good luck again.

Last edited:

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not too much to say here simply because Wobbuffet is pretty straightforward, but I'd put some more relevant set up sweepers in the Tickle set's Team Options because the Tickle set should be used only for teams with set up sweepers. The team options for that set are not the same as the first set because Tickle Wobb does not work with Balance/Bulky Offense as well as the first set. For the Tickle set (I suppose you can also mention this for the first set as well), I'd probably mention Zard X over Salamence as he's much more relevant atm, as well as Mega Kangaskhan and Belly Drum Azumarill. Swords Dance Aegislash is another Pokemon worth mentioning, as is Swords Dance Talonflame.

Emphasize those set-up sweepers particularly for the Tickle set and

qc 1/3

Not too much to say here simply because Wobbuffet is pretty straightforward, but I'd put some more relevant set up sweepers in the Tickle set's Team Options because the Tickle set should be used only for teams with set up sweepers. The team options for that set are not the same as the first set because Tickle Wobb does not work with Balance/Bulky Offense as well as the first set. For the Tickle set (I suppose you can also mention this for the first set as well), I'd probably mention Zard X over Salamence as he's much more relevant atm, as well as Mega Kangaskhan and Belly Drum Azumarill. Swords Dance Aegislash is another Pokemon worth mentioning, as is Swords Dance Talonflame.

Emphasize those set-up sweepers particularly for the Tickle set and

qc 1/3
Implemented, thanks!

Point 2 of the Overview, I wouldn't limit this to just Choice-locked attackers. It can do work against almost any attack that runs mono physical/special movesets, and Encore helps it fulfill its niche even better if someone tries to play mindgames around you with Substitute or whatever. Merge point 4 into this point.

Mention that Wobbuffet is extremely predictable, so the opponent can actually predict and play around Wobbuffet's presence to your disadvantage.

Honestly, Bold is almost always going to be the better nature to choose. I would remove the slash on the set but keep the Calm mention in the comments.

Nice job.

QC 2/3

I have been playing around with wobbuffet as a lead anti-lead using the above set and it's doing wonders. This is what I do:

1. Versus an all out attacking choice or assault vest sweeper spam countercoat.
2. Versus a setup sweeper you use encore. If he hits you but doesn't 2HKO you'll KO him the next turn if he setups you can switch to an appropriate counter and get a free hit.
3. Versus hazard obviously encore for the same reasoning above ^
4. Versus Sableye always use encore. 5 things will mostly likely happen:
a. He taunts you. Many users don't know that Wobbuffet can still use countercoat even if he gets taunt. So you KO him using counter the next turn with the obvious night slash. (I complete forgot about his ghost typing T_T)
b. He hits you with night slash. see above ^
c. He uses will-o-wisp, he is now lock into will-o-wisp. You then proceed to use safeguard and get a free switch.
d. He uses trick. Switch to someone in your party that has scarf or leftovers.
e. He uses Recover, God knows why?!
5. Versus Pokes who have u-turn or volt-switch just counter or mirrorcoat appropriately. Very rarely are there Pokes who have both a setup move and u-turn/volt-switch in there moveset.

This actually applies to all the time Wobbuffet gets a safe switch but putting him in the lead provides great momentum and give you the early opportunity to sweep.

Last edited:
Point 2 of the Overview, I wouldn't limit this to just Choice-locked attackers. It can do work against almost any attack that runs mono physical/special movesets, and Encore helps it fulfill its niche even better if someone tries to play mindgames around you with Substitute or whatever. Merge point 4 into this point.

Mention that Wobbuffet is extremely predictable, so the opponent can actually predict and play around Wobbuffet's presence to your disadvantage.

Honestly, Bold is almost always going to be the better nature to choose. I would remove the slash on the set but keep the Calm mention in the comments.

Nice job.

QC 2/3
Done. Thanks a lot. I'll write this up when I can, probably after I finish the Cloyster skeleton and I've sorted one last problem.

I have been playing around with wobbuffet as a lead anti-lead using the above set and it's doing wonders. This is what I do:

1. Versus an all out attacking choice or assault vest sweeper spam countercoat.
2. Versus a setup sweeper you use encore. If he hits you but doesn't 2HKO you'll KO him the next turn if he setups you can switch to an appropriate counter and get a free hit.
3. Versus hazard obviously encore for the same reasoning above ^
4. Versus Sableye always use encore. 5 things will mostly likely happen:
a. He taunts you. Many users don't know that Wobbuffet can still use countercoat even if he gets taunt. So you KO him using counter the next turn with the obvious night slash.
b. He hits you with night slash. see above ^
c. He uses will-o-wisp, he is now lock into will-o-wisp. You then proceed to use safeguard and get a free switch.
d. He uses trick. Switch to someone in your party that has scarf or leftovers.
e. He uses Recover, God knows why?!
5. Versus Pokes who have u-turn or volt-switch just counter or mirrorcoat appropriately. Very rarely are there Pokes who have both a setup move and u-turn/volt-switch in there moveset.

This actually applies to all the time Wobbuffet gets a safe switch but putting him in the lead provides great momentum and give you the early opportunity to sweep.
Haha, wow, the anti-sableye stuff is hilarious. This has to be a troll, right? Here, let me try.

Versus Sableye you use... Encore?
a. He taunts you. You can't encore or safeguard. So he then burns you next turn?
b. He attacks physically. You use counter and are greeted with a nice "Ghost types aren't affected by fighting moves" message.
c. He attacks specially. You use Mirror Coat and are greeted with a nice "Dark types aren't affected by Psychic moves" message.
d. He, ya know, switches out. Because he's Ghost type.

Which leads me to my point about Wobb counters. Special attacking Dark types and Physical attacking Ghost types are immune to Coat and Counter, respectively. And the whole "Ghosts can switch out of Shadow Tag" thing needs to be mentioned.

Which leads me to my point about Wobb counters. Special attacking Dark types and Physical attacking Ghost types are immune to Coat and Counter, respectively. And the whole "Ghosts can switch out of Shadow Tag" thing needs to be mentioned.
Cool, thanks. I was going to add ghosts in the checks and counters eventually, and i will mention that as well.

Haha, wow, the anti-sableye stuff is hilarious. This has to be a troll, right? Here, let me try.

Versus Sableye you use... Encore?
a. He taunts you. You can't encore or safeguard. So he then burns you next turn?
b. He attacks physically. You use counter and are greeted with a nice "Ghost types aren't affected by fighting moves" message.
c. He attacks specially. You use Mirror Coat and are greeted with a nice "Dark types aren't affected by Psychic moves" message.
d. He, ya know, switches out. Because he's Ghost type.

Sorry totally forgot that Sableye is part ghost :C bare with me I'm still new and I'm only posting from what little experience I have (mostly theorycraft). Will-o-wisp after a Taunt is definitely the best choice (since the possibility of me switching is higher now because of Taunt). I have not considered it and I do apologize for my noobish comment. :S

Overview
########
A banishment to Ubers in both ADV and DPP is a true testament to the absolute brilliance of Wobbuffet. With only 8 moves and horrific stats bar HP, one may wonder why there is any reason at all to use Wobbuffet. However, looks can be deceiving. Wobbuffet has an amazing ability in Shadow Tag, which allows it to trap whatever virtually any Pokemon it wants, aside from Ghost-types. It also has the amazing Counter + Mirror Coat combination, referred to collectively as CounterCoat, which allows Wobbuffet to easily dispose of Choice-locked attackers, as well as any Pokemon with a mono-Physical / mono-Special movepool. Its massive HP allows it to easily take most attacks and retaliate with either Counter or Mirror Coat. That isn't the only trick Wobbuffet has up its sleeve though, as it also has access to Encore, which deals with Pokemon trying to bypass the CounterCoat strategy by using Status moves, such as set-up sweepers and Substitute users. This makes Wobbuffet an absolute nightmare to deal with for offensive teams.

hmm, okay. keep in mind that this is an *overview* - i think you're going into too much detail about how to play wobb here, while at the same time not providing enough 'overview'. you need to do more to emphasize that it's a pokemon with a very specific strategy: trap virtually anything with shadow tag, and take it out with counter and mirror coat, or weaken it with tickle for a teammate to do the same - which you can do in 2/3 sentences max really. encore can be mentioned briefly, but i really wouldn't go into detail about its massive HP, mono-physically attacking pokemon, and the like - at least not here.
(i'd personally drop the mention about its ADV past and the 'one may wonder why use Wobbuffet' and try to really keep it as succinct as possible, but yeah authorial license and all that it's your call!)

The downside of this strategy though, is that it is extremely predictable, and can be played around to Wobbuffet's disadvantage. jw what this ('playing around') means - smart switching to prevent wobb from trapping its target, or playing around even after you've been trapped?

Wobbuffet also has a horrific Speed stat, which can hinder it occasionally, as well as no reliable recovery, as well as the Shadow Tag nerf preventing Ghost-types from beng trapped Taunt also seriously annoys Wobbuffet, as it prevents it from using its Status moves, which makes using CounterCoat a guessing game, and This strategy has its downsides, though. Wobbuffet has a horrific Speed stat, lacks recovery outside of Leftovers, is highly susceptible to Taunt, and cannot trap Ghosts and opposing Shadow Tag users. To top it all off, it Wobbuffet faces competion competition from a more offensively inclined Shadow Tag user, Gothitelle. Nevertheless, Wobbuffet's niche still marks it as makes it a significant threat, and it must always be remembered in the metagame.

Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
########

Moves
========
This is the set that Wobbuffet has consistently been defeating its opponents with has been the consistent bane of Wobbuffet's opponents since the release of Shadow Tag. Encore is essential, as it forces the opponent to use the same move,(remove) for three turns, which and hence provides valuable opportunities for a teammate to come in and set up. Counter and Mirror Coat are also necessary moves, as they allow Wobbuffet to OHKO nearly anything it wants all physical and special attackers respectively. Because of Wobbuffet's massive HP, but and low defenses, the overall damage of do a lot of damage in HP points, but not take much off from the overall total an attack aimed at Wobbuffet will take away a lot of its Hit Points despite not doing much percentage damage;(semicolon) this is one of the reasons why the CounterCoat strategy is so effective on Wobbuffet. Safeguard is a helpful move in the last slot to prevent Wobbuffet and its team from status moves.

Set Details
========
28 HP EVs are used to give Wobbuffet a Leftovers bonus number, while the defensive EVs in the defenses give Wobbuffet it as much bulk as possible. They are optimal with a Bold nature, as this allows Wobbuffet to survive both Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch and Haxorus's Outrage after Stealth Rock, while also balancing Wobbuffet's defensive stats. A Calm is an option which nature enables Wobbuffet to take a Life Orb Bug Buzz from Volcarona, but it this is very situational and unbalances the defenses idt balanced defenses are ideal for any particular reason – it's really just about surviving what attacks it needs to..?. Leftovers is a necessary item,(remove) as Wobbuffet has no recovery, and is therefore reliant on passive healing to stay alive.

Usage Tips
========
This Wobbuffet set is made to takes full advantage of the amazing combination of both CounterCoat and Encore. CounterCoat lets Wobbuffet trap and eliminate Choice-locked attacks attackers and attacks reliant on moves that attack from only one side of the spectrum and mono-physically- or mono-specially attacking Pokemon, but while Encore lets it trap take advantage of Substitute users and set-up setup sweepers as well. It gives Wobbuffet the opportunity to play mind games with the opponent, where any mistake on their behalf can become a liability. In order to guarantee that Wobbuffet traps its desired target, at least, i'm assuming that's the reason..? Wobbuffet should not be directly switched in, it but rather should either come in after a teammate faints, or the more preferable alternative, be the recipient of or—more preferably—via Volt Switch or U-turn.

Team Options
========
Wobbuffet works best on bulky offensive teams and balanced teams, rather than hyper offensive teams that prefer immediate power. Aside from team archetypes,(comma) though, the only support Wobbuffet requires just to check - is this a 'requirement' or more of 'it's appreciated'? itself is a Wish passer, as Wobbuffet can regain health itself outside of Leftovers for more healing than Leftovers can provide. Options for this includes Chansey, Blissey, Vaporeon, Sylveon, and Florges. Chansey and Blissey are especially good partners,(remove) as they appreciate Wobbuffet's ability to eliminate the Fighting-types that trouble them. Encore on Wobbuffet Wobbuffet's Encore can really benefits set-up setup sweepers, so Mega Charizard X, Gyarados, Breloom and Lucario are all examples of all make good partners. As previously mentioned, Wobbuffet also really likes being VoltTurned into appreciates free switches from Volt Switch and U-turn;(semicolon), and Genesect and Rotom-W can fill this role well.

Tickle
########

Moves
========
note that i swapped counter and mirror coat around in the set thingy above, just for consistency's sake
The combination of Encore and Tickle is deadly, particularly for more defensive Pokemon. as Encore will lock an opposing Pokemon into a move, while Tickle will slowly lower its Defense, perfect for more defensive Pokemon, as they allowing a Pursuit-using teammate to easily dispose of them. Counter and Mirror Coat are there for offensive Pokemon, but they aren't the main focus of the set, Tickle is, because the combination of being trapped and having your Defense lowered creates opportunities for teammates to KO them.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature combined with full Speed investment allows Wobbuffet to outspeed Chansey, Blissey, Ferrothorn, Reuniclus,(comma) and Conkledurr Conkeldurr, among others, but it also prevents as well as other Pokemon from trying that might want to Speed creep specifically for Wobbuffet. The rest of the EVs maximize physical bulk while still giving Wobbuffet the a Leftovers number. Again, Leftovers is absolutely essential to keep Wobbuffet remotely healthy and negate sand and hail damage , especially in sand and hail up-to-you change.

Usage Tips
========
Unlike the set completely dedicated towards CounterCoating, this set aims for a very simple goal In comparison to the previous CounterCoat set, this set has a completely different—but equally simple—strategy: to weaken walls and other defensive Pokemon with Tickle, and then eliminate them with a Pursuit trapper. When you come After switching Wobbuffet in on a wall, first use Encore so that they it can't recover, and then slower lower their its Defense with Tickle. After they have the foe has been significantly weakened, send in a Pursuit trapper like such as Scizor, Weavile or Tyranitar, and KO the wall for the KO. Additionally, Wobbuffet still has CounterCoat Counter and Mirror Coat as well, just for situations where eliminating a more offensive Pokemon needs to be eliminated, such as a Choice Scarf user. Wobbuffet still has CounterCoat as well, just for situations where a more offensive Pokemon needs to be eliminated, such as a Choice Scarf user. Additionally, Wobbuffet still has Counter and Mirror Coat for eliminating more offensive Pokemon, such as Choice Scarf users. might it be worth mentioning that this wobb is less bulky than the previous one and the ramifications (don't try and trap the more hard hitting attackers, don't expect to have the health/bulk to trap too many) - if it's significant, ofc? i've no idea/ purely going off theorymon haha

Team Options
========
For this set, A Pursuit trapper is mandatory, so and Tyranitar and Scizor make excellent are the ideal partners. While set-up setup sweepers are good partners due to Encore, they also really appreciate the fact that walls are gone removal of walls, as it which allows them to sweep much easier more easily, and it also prevents these walls from halting a sweep with a last minute status ailment. These include Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Aegislash, Swords Dance Talonflame,(comma) and Belly Drum Azumarill.

Other Options
########
Literally, the only other moves available to Wobbuffet has are Charm and Destiny Bond. Charm is useless, and Wobbuffet can't really use Destiny Bond with its low Speed. A set with Custap Berry + Destiny Bond is viable, but currently Custap Berry is currently unreleased.

Checks & Counters
########
Technically, Wobbuffet has no counters, as the true definition of a counter means they must requires it to be able to switch in, which isn't possible on against Wobbuffet due to Shadow Tag. However, it has many checks.

**Alternative methods of switching**: Though a Pokemon can not switch out of Shadow Tag directly, it can still manage to escape using other methods, such as Volt Switch and U-turn, which are very common in the metagame, Methods of escaping from Shadow Tag include the moves Volt Switch, U-turn, and Baton Pass, by the item Shed Shell, or simple simply by being a Ghost-type other shadow tag users? just for completion!. This enables a Pokemon to switch into one that is more suited for dealing with Wobbuffet. i'd mention a few volt-turners and ghost-types by name. there are probably no particularly common pkmn that use shed shell for wobb, i guess?

**Powerful Attackers**: Wobbuffet can not trap efficiently against Pokemon that are very powerful cannot efficiently trap hard-hitting opponents, as it risks being wither either 2HKOed on the switch-in,(remove) or OHKOed afterwards, which can be frustrating i'd provide a few examples of physical and special attackers just so that readers have a gauge..

**Taunt users**: Taunt prevents Wobbuffet from using its status moves, which hinders it, especially the lack of being able to use the essential Encore – the loss of Encore is especially crippling. While it can still use CounterCoat, it this requires a lot more prediction which are some common taunt users (or even *less* common taunt users, especially if they're mixed-attacking?) this section is a little short and could do with some more fleshing out.

**Magic Bounce users**: Magic Bounce users such as As Espeon, Xatu,(comma) and Mega Absol can bounce back Encore to cripple Wobbuffet, so they can freely status it without the worry of being locked into their status move and subsequently set up on.(period)

**Status users**: Status is a major bane of Wobbuffet, as it prevents it from doing its job effciently efficiently.(period) especially Toxic, which in particular wears it down quickly.

**Physical Ghost-types and Special Dark-types** These groups of Pokemon types both have super-effective coverage on Wobbuffet, and have the nice advantage of being immune to CounterCoat on their side of the attacking spectrum Counter and Mirror Coat respectively. i'd include specific examples. In addition, the physical Ghost-types former group can freely switch out if they have been Encored into a move that isn't preferable ideal.

re. the entire checks and counters section, i'm sort of left 'wanting a little more'. as it is now it's reaaaaally niche and sparse and - *random*! which isn't your fault because i can see how 'that's just how wobbuffet is'. nonetheless, some things i think you could do to enhance this section are
1) at least mention the importance of playing smartly around it after you see it in team preview, not letting it trap its targets
2) what kinds of pokemon would you switch into wobbuffet *after* it's KOed its target?
also, swap the 'evs' and 'nature' tags (ability/ item/ EVs/ nature)

tentative gp 1/2, second gp be sure to look over rewritten overview and possibly checks & counters

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I probably don't really have a place to say this but in my opinion this whole analysis over-sells Wobbuffet. By a lot. A good example of what I mean is the first sentence, sure the guy was ubers in ADV and DPP but in BW1 he was so bad in OU he got sent down to UU via usage, in BW2 he was banned but he still didn't get enough usage to go into OU. This sums Wobbuffet up much better, too good for the lower tiers but not up-to-scratch with OU standards at all. Also you didn't say anyway that Wobbeffut is situational, this is the perfect word to sum Wobbuffet up, as well as "reliant on team match-up". Implement sirndpt's check but I would change some stuff around which he didn't to tone this analysis down.

Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple
Overview
########
Wobbuffet is the prime example of a Pokemon that is excellent at a certain niche, role and terrible at everything else. Indeed, Wobbuffet certainly looks mediocre aside from a tremendous HP stat, but it has an amazing ability in Shadow Tag, which allows it to trap virtually any Pokemon it wants. It utilizes this to carry out a very specific strategy; (change to colon) trap a Pokemon and either take it out with Counter or Mirror Coat, or weaken it with Tickle so a teammate can do the same. While this may might seem situational, Wobbuffet's access to Encore helps prevent any possible mindgames with Pokemon trying to avoid the CounterCoat strategy. This makes Wobbuffet an absolute nightmare to deal with for offensive teams. This strategy has its downsides, though. Wobbuffet has a horrific Speed stat, lacks recovery outside of Leftovers, is highly susceptible to Taunt, and cannot trap Ghosts Ghost-types and opposing Shadow Tag users. To top it all off, Wobbuffet faces competition from a more offensively inclined Shadow Tag user, Gothitelle. Nevertheless, Wobbuffet's niche still makes it a significant threat in the metagame.

Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
########

Moves
========
This is the set that has been the consistent bane of Wobbuffet's opponents since the release of Shadow Tag. Encore is essential, as it forces the opponent to use the same move for three turns, (remove comma) and hence provides valuable opportunities for a teammate to come in and set up. Counter and Mirror Coat allow Wobbuffet to OHKO nearly all physical and special attackers respectively. Because of Wobbuffet's massive HP and low defenses, an attack aimed at Wobbuffet will take away a lot of its Hit Points HP despite not doing much percentage damage; this is one of the reasons why the CounterCoat strategy is so effective on Wobbuffet. Safeguard is a helpful move in the last slot to prevent Wobbuffet and its team from status moves.

Set Details
========
28 HP EVs give Wobbuffet a Leftovers bonus number, while the defensive EVs give it as much bulk as possible. They The defensive EVs are optimal with a Bold nature, as this allows they allow Wobbuffet to survive both Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch and Haxorus's Outrage after Stealth Rock, (remove comma) while also balancing Wobbuffet's defensive stats. A Calm nature enables Wobbuffet to take a Life Orb Bug Buzz from Volcarona, but this is very situational. Leftovers is a necessary item as Wobbuffet has no recovery, (remove comma) and is therefore reliant on passive healing to stay alive.

Usage Tips
========
This Wobbuffet set takes full advantage of the amazing combination of CounterCoat and Encore. CounterCoat lets Wobbuffet trap and eliminate Choice-locked attackers and mono-physically- mono-physically or mono-specially attacking Pokemon, while and Encore lets it take advantage of Substitute users and setup sweepers as well. In order to ensure that Wobbuffet does not receive any prior damage, Wobbuffet should not be directly switched in, (remove comma) but rather should either come in after a teammate faints, (remove comma) or—more preferably—via Volt Switch or U-turn.

Team Options
========
Wobbuffet works best on bulky offensive teams and balanced teams, (remove comma) rather than hyper offensive teams that prefer immediate power. Aside from team archetypes, though, the only support Wobbuffet appreciates itself is a Wish passer for more healing than Leftovers can provide. Options for this include Chansey, Blissey, Vaporeon, Sylveon, and Florges. Chansey and Blissey are especially good partners as they appreciate Wobbuffet's ability to eliminate the Fighting-types that trouble them. Wobbuffet's Encore can really benefit setup sweepers, so Mega Charizard X, Gyarados, Breloom (add comma) and Lucario all make good partners. As previously mentioned, Wobbuffet appreciates free switches from Pokemon that can provide free switches with Volt Switch and U-turn; Genesect and Rotom-W can fill this role well.

Tickle
########

Moves
========
The combination of Encore and Tickle is deadly particularly for more defensive Pokemon. Encore will lock an opposing Pokemon into a move, while Tickle will slowly lower its Defense, allowing a Pursuit-using teammate to easily dispose of them it. Counter and Mirror Coat are there for offensive Pokemon, but they aren't the main focus of the set.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature combined with full Speed investment allows Wobbuffet to outspeed Chansey, Blissey, Ferrothorn, Reuniclus, and Conkeldurr as well as other Pokemon that might want to Speed creep specifically for Wobbuffet. The rest of the EVs maximize physical bulk while still giving Wobbuffet a Leftovers number. Again, Leftovers is absolutely essential to keep Wobbuffet healthy/alive/an adjective you prefer, especially in sand and hail.

Usage Tips
========
In comparison to the previous CounterCoat set, this set has a completely different—but equally simple—strategy The strategy behind this set is simple: to weaken walls and other defensive Pokemon with Tickle, (remove comma) and then eliminate them with a Pursuit trapper. After switching Wobbuffet in on a wall, first use Encore so that it can't recover, (remove comma) and then slower lower its Defense with Tickle. After the foe has been significantly weakened, send in a Pursuit trapper such as Scizor, Weavile (add comma) or Tyranitar for the KO. Additionally, Wobbuffet still has Counter and Mirror Coat for eliminating more offensive Pokemon such as Choice Scarf users, but bear in mind that this set sacrifices some bulk for Speed, so it may might not be able to efficiently effectively eliminate powerful attackers.

Team Options
========
A Pursuit trapper is mandatory, and Tyranitar and Scizor are the ideal partners. While setup Setup sweepers are good partners not only due to Encore, (remove comma) they but also because they really appreciate the removal of walls, which allows them to sweep much more easily. These include Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Aegislash, Swords Dance Talonflame, and Belly Drum Azumarill.

Other Options
########
Literally the only other moves available to Wobbuffet are Charm and Destiny Bond Charm, Destiny Bond, and Splash. Charm is and Splash are useless, and Wobbuffet can't really use Destiny Bond effectively with its low Speed. A set with Custap Berry + Destiny Bond is would be viable, but Custap Berry is currently unreleased.

Checks & Counters
########
Technically, Wobbuffet has no counters, as the definition of a counter requires it to be able to switch in, which isn't possible against Wobbuffet due to Shadow Tag. However, it has many checks. It is important to play smartly and conservatively around Wobbuffet if you see it in Team Preview, (remove comma) and to ensure that it doesn't trap important members of your team.

**Alternative methods of switching Methods of Switching**: Methods of escaping from Shadow Tag include using the moves Volt Switch, U-turn, and Baton Pass, by use of holding the item Shed Shell, having the Shadow Tag ability, or simply by being a Ghost-type. This means that Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Scizor, Genesect, Gengar (add comma) and Aegislash can use their respective methods of bypassing Shadow Tag to switch in an appropriate check.

**Powerful Attackers**: Wobbuffet cannot efficiently effectively trap hard-hitting opponents, as it risks being either 2HKOed on the switch-in or OHKOed afterwards. This includes Life Orb Volcarona, Life Orb Gengar, Aegislash, Choice Band Scizor, Choice Band Victini, Choice Band Kyurem-B, and Choice Specs Keldeo. These attackers can also easily revenge Wobbuffet if it is damaged from trapping a previous Pokemon, (remove comma) or if it is worn down due to hazards.

**Taunt users Users**: Taunt prevents Wobbuffet from using its status moves – the moves—the loss of Encore is especially crippling. While it can still use CounterCoat, this requires a lot more prediction. Aerodactyl, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Gyarados, Thundurus, Tornadus (add comma) and Jellicent can all Taunt Wobbuffet, (change to semicolon) while Tornadus and Thundurus (what physical moves does Thundurus use? did you mean something else here or are you referring to the mixed attacker set (in which case that would be fine)?) in particular both have the advantage of being able to effectively utilize both attacking stats, making it all the more harder difficult for Wobbuffet to defeat them.

**Magic Bounce users Users**: As Espeon, Xatu, and Mega Absol can bounce back Encore to cripple Wobbuffet, they can freely status it without the worry of being locked into their status move and subsequently set up on.

**Status users Users**: Status is a major bane of Wobbuffet, as it prevents it from doing its job efficiently effectively. Toxic in particular wears it down quickly.

**Physical Ghost-types and Special Dark-types** These groups of Pokemon both have super-effective super effective coverage on Wobbuffet, (remove comma) and have the nice advantage of being immune to Counter and Mirror Coat respectively. In addition, the former group can freely switch out if they have been Encored into a move that isn't ideal.

GP: 2/2

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
TRC.
Overview
########
Wobbuffet is the prime example of a Pokemon that is excellent at a certain role and terrible at everything else. Indeed, Wobbuffet certainly looks mediocre aside from a tremendous HP stat, but it has an amazing ability in Shadow Tag, which allows it to trap virtually any Pokemon it wants. It utilizes this to carry out a very specific strategy: trap a Pokemon and either take it out with Counter or Mirror Coat, or weaken it with Tickle so a teammate can do the same. While this might seem situational, Wobbuffet's access to Encore helps prevent any possible mindgames with Pokemon trying to avoid the CounterCoat strategy. This makes Wobbuffet an absolute nightmare to deal with for offensive teams. This strategy has its downsides, though. Wobbuffet has a horrific Speed stat, lacks recovery outside of Leftovers, is highly susceptible to Taunt, and cannot trap Ghost-types and opposing Shadow Tag users. To top it all off, Wobbuffet faces competition from a more offensively inclined Shadow Tag user, Gothitelle. Nevertheless, Wobbuffet's niche still makes it a significant threat in the metagame.

Oh no, it's Wobbuffet!
########

Moves
========
This is the set that has been the consistent bane of Wobbuffet's opponents since the release of Shadow Tag. Encore is essential, as it forces the opponent to use the same move for three turns and hence provides valuable opportunities for a teammate to come in and set up. Counter and Mirror Coat allow Wobbuffet to OHKO nearly all physical and special attackers respectively. Because of Wobbuffet's massive HP and low defenses, an attack aimed at Wobbuffet will take away a lot of its HP despite not doing much percentage damage; this is one of the reasons why the CounterCoat strategy is so effective on Wobbuffet. Safeguard is a helpful move in the last slot to prevent Wobbuffet and its team from status moves.

Set Details
========
28 HP EVs give Wobbuffet a Leftovers bonus number.The defensive EVs are optimal with a Bold nature, as they allow Wobbuffet to survive both Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch and Haxorus's Outrage after Stealth Rock while also balancing Wobbuffet's defensive stats. A Calm nature enables Wobbuffet to take a Life Orb Bug Buzz from Volcarona, but this is very situational. Leftovers is a necessary item as Wobbuffet has no recovery and is therefore reliant on passive healing to stay alive.

Usage Tips
========
This Wobbuffet set takes full advantage of the amazing combination of CounterCoat and Encore. CounterCoat lets Wobbuffet trap and eliminate Choice-locked attackers and mono-physically or mono-specially attacking Pokemon, and Encore lets it take advantage of Substitute users and setup sweepers as well. In order to ensure that Wobbuffet does not receive any prior damage, Wobbuffet should not be directly switched in but rather should either come in after a teammate faints ormore preferably—via Volt Switch or U-turn.

Team Options
========
Wobbuffet works best on bulky offensive teams and balanced teams rather than hyper offensive teams that prefer immediate power. Aside from team archetypes, though, the only support Wobbuffet appreciates itself is a Wish passer for more healing than Leftovers can provide. Options for this include Chansey, Blissey, Vaporeon, Sylveon, and Florges. Chansey and Blissey are especially good partners as they appreciate Wobbuffet's ability to eliminate the Fighting-types that trouble them. Wobbuffet's Encore can really benefit setup sweepers, so Mega Charizard X, Gyarados, Breloom, and Lucario all make good partners. As previously mentioned, Wobbuffet appreciates Pokemon that can provide free switches with Volt Switch and U-turn; Landorus-T and Rotom-W can fill this role well.

Tickle
########

Moves
========
The combination of Encore and Tickle is deadly particularly for more defensive Pokemon. Encore will lock an opposing Pokemon into a move, while Tickle will slowly lower its Defense, allowing a Pursuit-using teammate to easily dispose of it. Counter and Mirror Coat are there for offensive Pokemon, but they aren't the main focus of the set.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature combined with full Speed investment allows Wobbuffet to outspeed Chansey, Blissey, Ferrothorn, Reuniclus, and Conkeldurr as well as other Pokemon that might want to Speed creep specifically for Wobbuffet. The rest of the EVs maximize physical bulk while still giving Wobbuffet a Leftovers number. Again, Leftovers is absolutely essential to keep Wobbuffet healthy, especially in sand and hail.

Usage Tips
========
The strategy behind this set is simple: to weaken walls and other defensive Pokemon with Tickle and then eliminate them with a Pursuit trapper. After switching Wobbuffet in on a wall, first use Encore so that it can't recover and then lower its Defense with Tickle. After the foe has been significantly weakened, send in a Pursuit trapper such as Scizor, Weavile, or Tyranitar for the KO. Additionally, Wobbuffet still has Counter and Mirror Coat for eliminating more offensive Pokemon such as Choice Scarf users, but bear in mind that this set sacrifices some bulk for Speed, so it might not be able to effiectively eliminate powerful attackers.

Team Options
========
A Pursuit trapper is mandatory, and Tyranitar and Scizor are the ideal partners. Setup sweepers are good partners not only due to Encore but also because they really appreciate the removal of walls, which allows them to sweep much more easily. These include Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Aegislash, Swords Dance Talonflame, and Belly Drum Azumarill.

Other Options
########
Literally the only other moves available to Wobbuffet are Charm, Destiny Bond, and Splash. Charm and Splash are useless, and Wobbuffet can't really use Destiny Bond effectively with its low Speed. A set with Custap Berry + Destiny Bond would be viable, but Custap Berry is currently unreleased.

Checks & Counters
########
Technically, Wobbuffet has no counters, as the definition of a counter requires it to be able to switch in, which isn't possible against Wobbuffet due to Shadow Tag. However, it has many checks. It is important to play smartly and conservatively around Wobbuffet if you see it in Team Preview and to ensure that it doesn't trap important members of your team.

**Alternative Methods of Switching**: Methods of escaping from Shadow Tag include using the moves Volt Switch, U-turn, and Baton Pass, by use of holding the item Shed Shell, having the Shadow Tag ability, or simply being a Ghost-type. This means that Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Scizor, Landorus-T, Gengar, and Aegislash can use their respective methods of bypassing Shadow Tag to switch in an appropriate check.

**Powerful Attackers**: Wobbuffet cannot effiectively trap hard-hitting opponents, as it risks being either 2HKOed on the switch-in or OHKOed afterwards. This includes Life Orb Volcarona, Life Orb Gengar, Aegislash, Choice Band Scizor, Choice Band Victini, Choice Band Kyurem-B, and Choice Specs Keldeo. These attackers can also easily revenge Wobbuffet if it is damaged from trapping a previous Pokemon or if it is worn down due to hazards.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt prevents Wobbuffet from using its status moves; the loss of Encore is especially crippling. While it can still use CounterCoat, this requires a lot more prediction. Aerodactyl, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Gyarados, Thundurus, Tornadus, and Jellicent can all Taunt Wobbuffet; Tornadus and Mixed Thundurus in particular both have the advantage of being able to effectively utilize both attacking stats, making it all the more difficult for Wobbuffet to defeat them.

**Magic Bounce Users**: As Espeon, Xatu, and Mega Absol can bounce back Encore to cripple Wobbuffet, they can freely status it without the worry of being locked into their status move and subsequently set up on.

**Status Users**: Status is a major bane of Wobbuffet, as it prevents it from doing its job effiectively. Toxic in particular wears it down quickly.

**Physical Ghost-types and Special Dark-types** These groups of Pokemon both have super effective coverage on Wobbuffet and have the nice advantage of being immune to Counter and Mirror Coat respectively. In addition, the former group can freely switch out if they have been Encored into a move that isn't ideal.
Wow TRC! This is your second finished analysis with a Florges mention :P

Other than Florges, Xatu, Jellicent and CB Kyu-B were all rejected. Blissey is also outclassed by Chansey.

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)