Wonder Launcher

What do you think of Miracle Shooter?

• It's a great addition, I hope it becomes standard.

Votes: 38 9.0%
  • It's a great addition, but I want it separate from the main metagame.

Votes: 162 38.5%
  • Not sure, it needs to be tested before I can judge it.

Votes: 98 23.3%
  • I hate it, but don't see any harm.

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • I hate it, keep it away from my metagame.

Votes: 104 24.7%

• Total voters
I'm not really big on forums so I hope my lack of reputation wont make my message lose any value.

But I would just like to point out as someone who has used the miracle shooter in-game that the points max out at 14, the cost of a max revive, so waiting to use a max revive is a huge drawback as if you dont use it immediately you are wasting turns in which you could be gaining points.

the same applies to all the high cost items really, using them really puts a huge damper on how long it takes to get the points back.

basically the use of higher powered items can come with some major drawbacks that may go against the benefit of them.

overall my opinion is that the item shooter is an incredibly useful feature and I am looking forward to it being played. regardless of what people are arguing it is a fact that it is balanced. The new metagame (albeit a side-meta) will be incredibly interesting to witness and participate in.

Is that so? Interesting. It may not fix the problem of people getting obscene stat boosts but it does seem to prevent stall chaining revives and such or setting up perfect sweepers. Not sure if that's enough to change people's minds about it though. I really hope we get to test it at some point.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
So I tried this out with a couple of friends and some random people in real life. They were all reluctant to do it because they all hated the idea of the wonder launcher. It was bashed just as much as it gets bashed on the internet.

From the few games I managed to play using it, I can safely say that using items will often result in a wasted turn, especially if your opponent predicts that you are going to do so.

In one of the battles I had, I switched in my garchomp as I predicted a double switch and ended up face to face with my opponent's SD Haxorus (it used sword's dance earlier in the match before I forced it out). With twelve points, I thought that it would be a good oppurtunity to use the X-attack x6 boost and try to sweep with garchomp. My opponent (who admitted after the battle that he was counting my points to see what I may have had access to) simply had his haxorus use outrage and garchomp fainted.

Using the max revive is also pretty crippling, as your points max out at 14 and using one pushes you all the way back to zero. That, and your opponent has the ability to use thier max revive too. Knowing chandelure would lose to speed boost sharpedo, I revived ferrothorn to kill it off. What does my opponent do during the exact same turn? He revives the heatran that fainted earlier, making what I had done effectively useless.

I'll need to play more before I give final judgement on this thing, but so far it looks like an excellent side metagame.

Playing more is...not much of an option though. Everyone hates the wonder launcher.

I personally love it. I was skeptical at first, especially since I came from the smash community (who have a love or hate cmpetitive item set as well,) but after playing a few IR fights, I consider it not game breaking enought to be forgotten (for the same reasons as alpha above, mostly). I'd love this to be a side format, since IMO Infared is the best format behind Wi-Fi(you gotta admit being the only format where your opponent doesn't know your team is a plus.) I'm actually doing a tournament this saturday to test out how good it is.

so: Infared side metagame, anyone?

IMO this is a great thing, because it lets many more strategies be used.
You don't really absolutely have to worry about the max revives and such, because you can just use stuff like the +2 or +3 boosts and proceed to do heavy damage to your opponents team. Also, stall gets that same benefit. I say it should be a side metagame, because not everyone will want to play with the Wonder Launcher, but it is still cool.

Everything I've seen from it indicates it just makes the game drag on. I don't mind slow matches due to one or both people using defensive tactics, but I do mind it when its because of items.

A Super Luck Honchkrow with Scope Lens can spam always-critical Night Slashes after using a Dire Hit 2 on it. If you have a Choiced one, you can spend two more points to do the same with a Dire Hit 3.

This is also great in general for being able to set up Choiced Pokémon. The Porygon family, for example, would love it. (Z would be Scarfed)

Also, someone please change the name of this thread already.

A Super Luck Honchkrow with Scope Lens can spam always-critical Night Slashes after using a Dire Hit 2 on it. If you have a Choiced one, you can spend two more points to do the same with a Dire Hit 3.

This is also great in general for being able to set up Choiced Pokémon. The Porygon family, for example, would love it. (Z would be Scarfed)

Also, someone please change the name of this thread already.
I'm pretty sure the crit hit caps at 50% chance.
still, it could get pretty crazy. XD

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Everyone specifies their own rules in their sigs, and whether it becomes standard of not, people usually only like to play with people who use their rules. I personally could care less what smogon decides to do about this. I'm just not going to play anyone who uses it.

Miracle Shooter is fun. I played my friend with miracle shooter on once. Niether of us noticed until the middle of the battle when I used a revive. After that I won by using miracle shooter to my advantage to get +6 SpA on my Serperior. He was so pissed because if I hadn't had miracle shooter he would've won easily. Still it was way to fun using Miracle Shooter.

I think this is a pretty interesting and creative addition to the game. I don't see no reason not to just to have it exist as an option. I look forward to testing it out sometimes.

I updated all the names to the english names. I also listed the effects of the urge items as we know them now. They basically let you activate your Pokemon's held item, or ability. Thanks to it's low cost I can see potential in them. The more useful one could be the Reset Urge to counter debuffs, but even that has limited uses in the metagame in my experience.
One thing I am curious about though is whether the addition of revive items will increase the use of suicide moves or not.
One other item that just caught my attention is Item Drop. A pretty nice counter to trick, helps set up Unburden, and can get rid of Choice items, or Life Orb if need be.

Needless to say, using Ability Urge on anything with Anger Point would be pretty damn ridiculous. Especially if it was something like Choice Scarf Krookodile...

Oh wow. I completely forgot about Anger Point. Wow. Tauros, and Primeape could actually see some serious use with this item. Camerupt may even gain a slight bit of use.

Wow... Anger Point Primeape and Tauros would be scary. Lets just say Primeape's running Jolly to max it's speed. That's 1,236 Attack and 317 Speed. If Tauros's running Adamant, that's 1,312 Attack and 319 Speed. Also, Camerupt running Modest can get to 339 Special Attack and 1,076 Attack, making for a decent mixed set. If you give Camerupt a Choice Scarf, it can get to 263 Speed, which is still pretty decent for a base 40 Speed Pokemon.

I did some calcs, and Primeape 2KO's 252/252+ Gliscor with Close Combat. OHKO's Skarmory with the same spread. I would guess Primeape would run a Life Orb set with Close Combat/Stone Edge/Ice Punch/Payback? You wouldn't use U-Turn or you lose your boosts.

Tauros hits about as hard and faster. ^_^ Return/Earthquake/Wild Bolt/Zen Headbutt.

Close Combat is too dangerous for Primeape. He would be easily revenged by priority. Brick Break is powerful enough, I think.

Needless to say, using Ability Urge on anything with Anger Point would be pretty damn ridiculous. Especially if it was something like Choice Scarf Krookodile...
Oh wow. I completely forgot about Anger Point. Wow. Tauros, and Primeape could actually see some serious use with this item. Camerupt may even gain a slight bit of use.
Wow... Anger Point Primeape and Tauros would be scary. Lets just say Primeape's running Jolly to max it's speed. That's 1,236 Attack and 317 Speed. If Tauros's running Adamant, that's 1,312 Attack and 319 Speed. Also, Camerupt running Modest can get to 339 Special Attack and 1,076 Attack, making for a decent mixed set. If you give Camerupt a Choice Scarf, it can get to 263 Speed, which is still pretty decent for a base 40 Speed Pokemon.
I did some calcs, and Primeape 2KO's 252/252+ Gliscor with Close Combat. OHKO's Skarmory with the same spread. I would guess Primeape would run a Life Orb set with Close Combat/Stone Edge/Ice Punch/Payback? You wouldn't use U-Turn or you lose your boosts.

Tauros hits about as hard and faster. ^_^ Return/Earthquake/Wild Bolt/Zen Headbutt.
Before you all get ahead of yourselves, I think it might be worth it to note that, at least according to Serebii, the ability urge only works on abilities that activate upon entry to battle. That means Anticipation, Download, Drizzle, Drought, Forecast, Forewarn, Frisk, Intimidate, Sandstream, Slow Start, Snow Warning, and Trace (Useful One's Bolded).

Stratos

Banned deucer.
DUDE I SHOULD ABILITY URGE MY REGIGIGAS FRICKING BRILLIANT LOL why did nintendo even waste two lines of code on that

DUDE I SHOULD ABILITY URGE MY REGIGIGAS FRICKING BRILLIANT LOL why did nintendo even waste two lines of code on that
Personally, I think Forecast is the most useless (Doesn't Castform auto-transform when the weather changes anyway?). At least using it on Regigigas does something... less confusion damage maybe?

Not according to what I read. I'll have to test it myself to make sure though. If so it still has slight potential.
Edit: I meant about how Ability urge works. My bad on that.

Why are some people so hostile to Miracle Shooter? Because it adds another layer of strategy to Pokemon battles? I have not played Miracle Shooter yet, but I see no harm in having it be an option other than the standard battle.

Can you still use an item on Slaking instead of just watching it loaf around? If so, Slaking usage would almost definitely be high IMO.
Isn't slaking's loafing around just bumped up one turn anyway? Can't see it making much of a difference either way though, considering the amount of turns it takes to get items.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………,,,---~‘’¯’\,
…………………_,,,----,…………………………………………………………………,,,---~~‘’¯¯ . . . . . . ,/’
…………..,-~‘¯ ; ; ; ; ;’\,----,……………………………………………………….,~‘’ . . . . . . . . . . ,-~~’¯
……,,-~‘¯; ; ; ; ;,-’¯¯¯’’ ‘¯~’\,|,………………………………………………..,-~’ . . . . . . . .,--~’’’¯¯
… ’¯¯; ; ; ; ; ;. ,/’ . . . ’~-, . ’|…………………………………………,-~-~’¯ . , . . . . ¯¯\, . . ’\,
…¯¯,-~* . /’ . ‘\| . . . . . . . .’\…………………………………_,-~‘¯,/’,/’ . . . . .¯¯¯’~----,,,\,,,, .‘\,
……..¯¯--, .’\, . . . . . . ,--~-,’ ’|…………………………_,-~‘¯ ; ;;;;; | .| . . . . . . . . . . . : . .|¯’*| .|
……………-,-’¯’’|, . . .,/’ ¯¯’-/‘/………………….._,-~’¯¯; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;; ‘| .’| . . . . . . . . . .,,--~‘~’‘|
…………….| . . ’\, . . ’\,; ; ;|/’.,-~~--,,/‘¯¯’~‘¯; ; ;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ’|,’\, ,,,--~’’’¯\\‘’~’’’’¯¯,--~/‘’
……………/’_ ‘’’`~-,,,--~’’’¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; /’ ; ;;;;; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;‘\, .’~-,,-~‘’~---~’‘’’~---~~’’’¯
………….,/‘¯’\, . .¯¯,~‘;;;;;;; ; ;/’ ; ; ; ; ; ;;;;;/ ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;‘,--’‘¯¯’;,/’
………..,/‘,--,-~’,,~‘’ ;/’;;;;;;;;;/‘;; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;’~-,,/‘/’
…….,,~‘| /’ /’ . ,~’~-,;;;;;;;;;;;;|;; ;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ; ;,,,,,,,-----~~’’’¯
…,~‘’ ,/’/‘/ : | .,/’;;;,~‘;;;;;;;;;;;;’\,;;;;;; ; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;,-~‘’¯¯
.,/’ ;,/;;;|’ : :|,/‘;;-~’ ¯¯¯ ;;;;;;;;;;’’\, ; ; ;;;;;;; ;,,, OBJECTION!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)