Wooper used ice butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sunny Day Beedrill.

Also, just about half of Octillery's moveset. I mean, it gets stuff like Smack Down, Incinerate, Charge beam, Energy Ball, Flash Cannon, Psychic... the list goes on and on. Apparently, if it can be fired out of a mouth, Octillery gets it. As far as I can tell, it can learn attacking moves of all types except Dragon, Fighting and Ghost.
On the other hand, despite numerous Pokédex entries about its rock-hard head, it can't learn Iron Head or even Headbutt.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Sorry for the double post, but I playes on PS for a bit and remembered 3 sets that I run that shouldn't exist, at least partly. First off is Ursaring:

Ursaring learns Gunk shot and Seed bomb! WTF!? (I run gunk shot because it's got a large BP, and if I switch into a threat that could set up I use it instead of protect, I don't run seed bomb) and somethinf else strange with them is that they are physical attacks! Anyway, onto my second pokemon, octillery!

Octillery learns:
1) Flamethrower
2) Charge beam
3) Energy ball (I can kind of picture it, but it doesn't suit him.)
And then number 4, ice beam, I'm letting him off for because lots of water types learn it somehow. But flamethrower is the biggest mystery, I used it in a battle just now and my opponent went mad! Energy ball you can kihd of see him using, but it doesn't... work and charge beam, while great competitively, since after 2 boosts little can stop 2HKOs, doesn't make sense coming out of Octillery's.. uh ... snout. Lastly is Girafarig (don't knock him 'til you've tried him) and though I know that these attacks probably come out of his chain chomp on the end of his tail, it's not big enough to produce energy ball, really. Anyway, Girafarig:

Energy ball
Signal beam
Thunderbolt

Now, thunderbolt seems to be a thing with psychic types, hello reuniclus and starmie for 2, but it seems to make the least sense when coming out of a giraffe! Well, actually, the star-fish would die if a thunderbolt struck it so that might make less sense. None the less, Giraffes are tall and so are more viable to get hit by thunderbolts! Then we have signal beam (Girafarig has a fairly limited special movepool, which is a shame because it's 3 psychic attacks are special and it's best normal STAB is special and you can't really run a mixed set on him), I have signal beam for coverage, namely dark types and Musharna, but I can't see green light coming out of it's tail or mouth (the one on his head that isn't attached to a tail but his neck), so it's just weird... And then we have energy ball, well, this makes the most sense because you can see it coming out of his tail kind of so... yeah.

Octillery is based off of cannons, so the fact that it gets a lot of beam-type attacks doesn't exactly surprise me, especially since Remoraid is based off of handguns, iirc.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the double post, but I playes on PS for a bit and remembered 3 sets that I run that shouldn't exist, at least partly. First off is Ursaring:

Ursaring learns Gunk shot and Seed bomb! WTF!? (I run gunk shot because it's got a large BP, and if I switch into a threat that could set up I use it instead of protect, I don't run seed bomb) and somethinf else strange with them is that they are physical attacks! Anyway, onto my second pokemon, octillery!

Octillery learns:
1) Flamethrower
2) Charge beam
3) Energy ball (I can kind of picture it, but it doesn't suit him.)
And then number 4, ice beam, I'm letting him off for because lots of water types learn it somehow. But flamethrower is the biggest mystery, I used it in a battle just now and my opponent went mad! Energy ball you can kihd of see him using, but it doesn't... work and charge beam, while great competitively, since after 2 boosts little can stop 2HKOs, doesn't make sense coming out of Octillery's.. uh ... snout. Lastly is Girafarig (don't knock him 'til you've tried him) and though I know that these attacks probably come out of his chain chomp on the end of his tail, it's not big enough to produce energy ball, really. Anyway, Girafarig:

Energy ball
Signal beam
Thunderbolt

Now, thunderbolt seems to be a thing with psychic types, hello reuniclus and starmie for 2, but it seems to make the least sense when coming out of a giraffe! Well, actually, the star-fish would die if a thunderbolt struck it so that might make less sense. None the less, Giraffes are tall and so are more viable to get hit by thunderbolts! Then we have signal beam (Girafarig has a fairly limited special movepool, which is a shame because it's 3 psychic attacks are special and it's best normal STAB is special and you can't really run a mixed set on him), I have signal beam for coverage, namely dark types and Musharna, but I can't see green light coming out of it's tail or mouth (the one on his head that isn't attached to a tail but his neck), so it's just weird... And then we have energy ball, well, this makes the most sense because you can see it coming out of his tail kind of so... yeah.
All I saw why Gunk Shot on a non-poison type. Why would you ever run a move with such shitty coverage on a Pokémon that has such a massive movepool filled with superior options?

Celever

i am town
I did say that it's because it has 120 BP and gives ursaring an option for ghosts. Superpower would lower the stats of him and cross chop is there for fighting and it's basically between gunk shot and seed bomb, and gunk shot is technically more powerful.

I did say that it's because it has 120 BP and gives ursaring an option for ghosts. Superpower would lower the stats of him and cross chop is there for fighting and it's basically between gunk shot and seed bomb, and gunk shot is technically more powerful.
shadow claw would like to have a word with you.

Fly on Dodrio. HOW?!!
Wood Hammer Sudowoodo. I mean it mimics trees and holds branches, but it doesn't hold LOGS and SMASHES THEM on foes (or does it?).
Power Whip Lickilicky does it whip with its... tongue?

For anyone wondering, Gyarados gets Thunderbolt, Fire Blast etc. because he was originally supposed to be a Water/Dragon type in Gen.1, however, because it wasn't until Gen.2 that actual Dragon type moves (besides Dragon Rage which is fixed damage) became available. So if Gamefreak had left Gyarados Water/Dragon it would've been severely overpowered as it would have no weaknesses and have great resistances.

Now to contribute....*ehem* why can Manetric get Overheat and Flamethrower but Not Fire Blast?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
/
- Leech Seed - Seed Bomb - Bullet Seed

How the fuck does a Fungus produce seeds????

Until such time GF makes a Pokemon that is some symbiotic combination of seeding plant and fungus, really, no Pokemon should get Leech Seed (or Seed Bomb, or Bullet Seed) + Spore.

Not logically anyway.

/ - Leech Seed - Seed Bomb - Bullet Seed

How the fuck does a Fungus produce seeds????

Until such time GF makes a Pokemon that is some symbiotic combination of seeding plant and fungus, really, no Pokemon should get Leech Seed (or Seed Bomb, or Bullet Seed) + Spore.

Not logically anyway.
Well, they are Grass Type although Fungs aren't Plants, to simplificate.

They can even learn SolarBeam by TM....

but

How the hell can this learn Solarbeam BY LEVEL?

The Cicada said:
cuz its a grass type.
Do you spend so much time trolling message boards to know anything about biology? It's a mushroom. Mushrooms don't perform photosynthesis. The point still stands.

Additionally, Bone Rush Lucario. I know it's supposed to magically materialize a bone, but it still makes no sense.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
the best part about Gunk Shot Ursaring using it to hit ghosts is that ghosts resist poison. the user who posted those sets is infinite facepalms.

Oh while I'm at it, Vullaby has Fly. Does it have to like, take off its bone diaper beforehand? Even then the Pokedex says it isn't able to fly.

Celever

i am town
Wait a second... Cryogonal! Blummin' cryogonal learns solar beam, not just by TM, no, Cryogonal learns solar beam by level up!!! Cryogoanl... is a snowflake! A Snowflake I tell you! OMFG, it's just handed out to fire types! Typhlosion can learn it for christ sake! Lapras learned it by TM in gen 1 but it was not the case in gen 2+ so hopefully it was an error, however, Typhlosion, moltres, ho-oh, ponyta, ninetails and other fire types is stupid. MAWILE learns it along with AGGRON! Nincada and it's evolutions learn it, Gulpin and Swalot learn it, ALTARIA LEARNS IT!!!!!!!!! Solar beam I always thought as a move handed out pretty much only to grass and normal, but now I know that dragons, poison and steel learn it too! What. GIGALITH!? GIGALITH!? I'm going to cry. Bronzor and bronzong learn it too! D: CLAYDOL! There are 3 kinds of pokemon that should learn it:
1) Grass types that use photosynthesis
2) Solrock because it is based on the sun
3) Volcarona because it is based on the sun

Instead we have lapras and bronzong playing with it...

Edit: Hmm... My 100th post is a rant... interesting...

Wait a second... Cryogonal! Blummin' cryogonal learns solar beam, not just by TM, no, Cryogonal learns solar beam by level up!!! Cryogoanl... is a snowflake! A Snowflake I tell you! OMFG, it's just handed out to fire types! Typhlosion can learn it for christ sake! Lapras learned it by TM in gen 1 but it was not the case in gen 2+ so hopefully it was an error, however, Typhlosion, moltres, ho-oh, ponyta, ninetails and other fire types is stupid. MAWILE learns it along with AGGRON! Nincada and it's evolutions learn it, Gulpin and Swalot learn it, ALTARIA LEARNS IT!!!!!!!!! Solar beam I always thought as a move handed out pretty much only to grass and normal, but now I know that dragons, poison and steel learn it too! What. GIGALITH!? GIGALITH!? I'm going to cry. Bronzor and bronzong learn it too! D: CLAYDOL! There are 3 kinds of pokemon that should learn it:
1) Grass types that use photosynthesis
2) Solrock because it is based on the sun
3) Volcarona because it is based on the sun

Instead we have lapras and bronzong playing with it...

Edit: Hmm... My 100th post is a rant... interesting...
Gigalith gets Solarbeam because
The solar rays it absorbs are processed in its energy core and fired as a ball of light.

I guess maybe Delibird uses rapid spin by doing an ice skating spin maybe? Like maybe it can freeze the ground under it's feet and use it to figure skate!

Wow I'm really stretching there.

But as for Cryogonal and Gigalith learning it, I can rationalize that as them storing the solar energy in their crystalline structures. Fire types getting it is much like water types getting ice beam, when you really think about it, it doesn't make sense but it's basically standard. As for Mawile, Aggron, Nincada, Gulpin, and Altaria... I'm at a loss. I guess I can rationalize Aggron and Altaria as being dragon-like things so shit, why not give them super powered sun lasers for rule of cool reasons, but the others? I just... no.

Looked up some other Solar Beam users too... Venonat and Venomoth, A crapload of normal types (those can be explained weakly using my "normal is the base type so they can learn stuff from all types" explanation), Ledyba and Ledian, Spinarak and Ariados, Natu and Xatu, Yanma and Yanmega, Beautifly and Dustox, Surskit and Masquerian, Trapinch familty, Lati@s, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Wormadam and Mothim,Togekiss, Uxie (but not Mesprit and Azelf, oh no that would be silly), Cresselia, Venipede family, Dewbble family, Sigilyph, GARBADOR and GOLURK!!?!??!?.

Ok, it seriously looks like Gamefreak just hands out Solarbeam to whatever the fuck they feel like giving it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)