Word from TPCi about the VGC in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, that is some really terrible logic with Montreal.

Firstly, Montreal isn't primarily French. I don't think I met a single person who didn't know English last time I was there. Hell, I don't think there's anyone in Quebec who isn't bilingual... I often wish I'd stayed longer in Quebec so I could be fluent in both languages.

Secondly, they can easily grab local people as volunteers.

Thirdly, if they have one in Montreal I would do everything in my power to convince Vincent and Brain to play Pokemon again.
Montréal is primarily French. 54% of the population are French and only 17% are english. 53% are bilingual, 29% only speak French and 13% only speak english. The remaining 5% do not speak French/english. In the province of Québec, it is really different mainly because the sole official language is French. 80% are French and 8% are english(71% of them are biligual). In the province, only 40% are biligual(6% are english, 9% are not French/english and 25% are French). With these result, we can see that 55% of the population only speak French. If you still think that the whole population is biligual, you have a serious problem.

-X-Chris-X-, A resident of Montréal and a French speaking Quebecer

Chris, regardless of the stats, the point is that the tournament wouldn't be hosted there because the majority of residents are French speakers, it's because it's way too close in proximity to Toronto, which is a much larger city. What's the drive, something like 6-8 hours?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Montréal is primarily French. 54% of the population are French and only 17% are english. 53% are bilingual, 29% only speak French and 13% only speak english. The remaining 5% do not speak French/english. In the province of Québec, it is really different mainly because the sole official language is French. 80% are French and 8% are english(71% of them are biligual). In the province, only 40% are biligual(6% are english, 9% are not French/english and 25% are French). With these result, we can see that 55% of the population only speak French. If you still think that the whole population is biligual, you have a serious problem.

-X-Chris-X-, A resident of Montréal and a French speaking Quebecer
So the majority is bilingual? As I said, they'd have absolutely no problem getting volunteers who could not only speak French but speak both English and French. As Yoshi King pointed out, the problem for Montreal comes more from its proximity to Toronto than any language barriers.

So the majority is bilingual? As I said, they'd have absolutely no problem getting volunteers who could not only speak French but speak both English and French. As Yoshi King pointed out, the problem for Montreal comes more from its proximity to Toronto than any language barriers.
If they are local volunteers, i agree that there should be no problem. Since TPCI gets local TCG professors and then local "Event" staff (they do line control for concerts and such) language should not be a problem. The only thing i could see as an issue is what language of games would be required - or just allow both English and French.

Never going too hapen, but I'd love one in Winnpeg. Vancover and Toranto are worse for me to get too. I'd hate if Regina had one, but Winnipeg doesn't( bomber fan).

The majority is bilingual only in Montréal. Plus, only 10-15% of the junior category(less than 12 years old) is bilingual. Also, maybe 40-45% of the population aged 13 to 16 are biligual. The proximity is an another reason why it would not be in Montréal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)