1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

World Championships Thread - BLUECOOKIES WORLD CHUMP

Discussion in 'VGC' started by makiri, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Halordain

Halordain

Lack of confidence in one's English certainly plays a role, but I think this is more of a cultural difference than anything else. Japanese people are shy and don't really feel comfortable posting information about themselves for public view, even if it has nothing to do with self-PR. Modesty and restraint are parts of it, but I think internet and impersonal communications are discouraged in Japan, mostly because of the misunderstandings it can cause between strangers who have never met.

There are large information-centric websites in Japan (pokemon underground in Tokyo, and pokemon inshuu in Osaka), but they are location-based simply because their members use the internet only to spread information, preferring to meet offline monthly for more personal matters like battling and finding out about each other. THey'll use the internet for posting factual information and working together for their manuals (think Smogon pokedex in book form), but they feel much more comfortable -- as would I -- sharing more personal and more readily misunderstood/abusable things like opinions and personal information, face to face. They do twitter and text results back and forth extremely personally and rapidly, but they do so with people they connect with personally, which goes back to the idea of favoring face-to-face interaction to internet chatter. I think the internet resources (RNG resources, etc) are so overused in Japan that players are afraid of posting personal information -- hence the use of handle names, like Saburou (Isao) and Midori (Yasuki) -- for fear that it, too, is abused among strangers. In fact, I met a few Pokemon players outside the center in Osaka that more openly request players' personal information and trade it over the internet, and those players have been blacklisted from most major groups.

~Halordain
  2. IAmMarti

IAmMarti

Well done Bluecookies! Nice to see someone from America get the world crown for once. Im also happy to see a young girl wint the junior TCG finals :) woop! you go girl!

If I was there, I would ask -somehow- to have a pic with the Pokemon Sunday gang cause they are sooooo cool!

I have a few questions that I have asked before but got deleted under 'how to get past a hack check' rule. Would be gratefull if someone thats happy to awnser these for me can PM me so I dont have to ask publicly.

The question isnt about hacking, nor do i plan on hacking, just a question of what can be traced if you do something and NOT save your game....but yeh if someone that would help me out and PM me that would be great ta
  3. Zog

Zog

And there's something I'd like to add too; something which really showed to me how special these kinds of events are.

A couple of nights after the worlds, when I was in my hotel room in Los Angeles, I flicked on the TV and George Lopez was on doing an interview with Jason Statham about The Expendables. They talked about how there were no CGI effects used, and how "Everything's real".

Lopez then made a comment about that, saying "Well I tell you what isn't real: black guys, white guys, hispanics and asians hangin' out together!".

And that was exactly what'd been going on in Hawaii all the last week. :)
  4. BlueCookies

BlueCookies April Fools 2009 Participant
    is a VGC 2012 Masters World Champion

Zog with the good post! always a first time for something!
  5. The Real Elmo

The Real Elmo

Yeah I was kinda wondering too. I hung out with him and his sis at Nats.
    I saw he lost early on, But nothing more.
  6. Zog

Zog

:O

Ray! Unbelievable! How could you?!?!
  7. Monkey708

Monkey708

Awesome job!
    By the by, what was your team?
  8. Lexay

Lexay I could be boned!
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

If all I have to do this year is go to Köln in Germany and win to get to meet you guys in America, thats exactly what I will be doing :)
  9. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Come on Lexay, win it and get your Dutch ass over here!
  10. BlueCookies

BlueCookies April Fools 2009 Participant
    is a VGC 2012 Masters World Champion

why chump??? wtf
  11. Ninahaza

Ninahaza You'll always be a part of me
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Just deagle with it
  12. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

my house, my rules
  13. drug_duck

drug_duck

Don't be disappointed if you won't ;)
  14. 13Random37

13Random37

germany's finest will take it ggggggggggggggggggggggg

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)