Worlds Warstory: Homecourt Advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes guys, this is the warstory of Smogon's FIRST ever Five on Five Basketball Championship. My memory is pretty hazy so if anyone has any details, please tell me and I can update it.

So after loading up on some Taco Smackdown with the group, Huy, Badintent, TDS, and I pull up to the one and only Smogon Arena and we immediately see some familar faces...

Duy aka Tucker the Chucker
Breaks the game more than Prankster Substitute, I must have chucked up more shots by myself than the entire other team...

Huy aka ShaqHuyle O'Neal
Got that low post game, but also like Shaq, cannot really shoot or keep up with the younger kids.

Omari aka Stereotype
Yes, he is black. And yes, he is good at basketball. True ballers wear basketball shorts underneath their jeans, and this man stands true to that.

Simon aka Bronx Bomber
Baller from the Bronx, drops bombs from beyond the arc like no other due to his lack of low post game.

Paul aka White Shadow
A white boy on the outside, a black on the inside with his tenacious D, shadowing everyone on the court. Passes like a white man.

Min aka The Brit
He's British, he only plays football. I never even saw him touch the basketball. Ever.

Tyler aka 16 and Horny
The youngest of the group and true to his nickname. Overall solid Caucasian player with the occasional jumper.

Alan aka The Great White
He dove for every rebound and had a change up game as he could play post and take the jumper.

Chad aka MVP
The champion of ballers, dominates the low post like no other. Pretty sure he dunked over Tyler at one point

Len aka "Varsity"
Varsity high school baller, struggled to score, so it goes to show that the talent at the game was tougher than Dallas HS Bball.

Jose aka Super Ref
A good 6th man, and an even better jump ball throwing arm. He proved well he can throw it up straight and run in jeans at the same time. Can probably handle the ball with his feet like no other.

Scott aka Speed Lightning
This man can run in loafers.

Luke aka Vanilla Pudding
The standard Caucasian player, can take some jumpers, can occasionally rebound, always passes to the black man.

Andrea aka Andrea
Taking photos of the match and cheering everyone on is one of her specialties. Probably has fundamentals.

Kathleen aka Kathleen
Taking photos of the match and cheering everyone on is one of her specialties. Probably has fundamentals.

So we start off by a little warmup, until the champion arrives on the court in which he will dominate so very shortly. We decided that the first pair of captains will be Tyler and Chad. I do not recall how the draft exactly went, but the final teams ended up:

Game 1: Tyler, Duy, Huy, Paul, Luke vs. Chad, Omari, Simon, Alan, Len

Looking at the matchups, it seemed pretty even with Team Tyler having height while Team Len had the black guy. Chad ended up being way too much for us to handle down low and some BS Rim Hax got the better of our team. In the middle of it, we just could not keep up even needing to substitute Jose in for Huy. Omari was a baller, Len was a baller, Simon was a baller, Chad was a monster, and Alan was a baller. Our team stood no chance as we proceeded to be demolished after being unable to rebound or put up points. Game 1 went to Team Len.

After a five minute break to allow us Pokemon nerds to rest, we decide to change teams up. After taking a few hours to make shots for captains, the dust settled and out emerged Paul and Alan as captains.

Game 2: Paul, Duy, Len, Chad, Huy vs. Alan, Tyler, Omari, Simon, Luke.

The game was a lot more balanced since Team Paul picked up MVP Chad. The two best players were now on separate teams. As most of the players stamina began to dimish, Chad and Omari continued to spin circles around the defenders up and down the court like lightning. The power of Alan and Omari were not enough to take down the mighty Chad. Game two went to team Paul. If I recall correctly, this was the game in which Omari sent Len PACKING back to Dallas. Len went red with embarrassment and the crowd went wild. This definitely proved that Smogon basketball is on par with high school varsity basketball.

We took another break as we watched some golfers golf (to the judgment of Smogon golfer Tyler of course) and some organized soccer league arrived (the whistles of their refs would soon interfere with our game at one point). We shot for captains and selected teams. This time, it would be a very close game as Chad and Alan were the captains selected.

Game 3: Chad, Paul, Scott, Supe, Duy Vs. Alan, Omari, Simon, Luke, Len.

The game came down to the wire. Since this would be the last game, we decided that it would be the first to 16. Chad, of course dominated while I continued to be the black hole that I was with my fancy shots (I had to prove that the WNBA is NOT all about fundamentals and could be flashy as well). Scott, to our surprise, was pretty quick even though he was wearing loafers and was the first defender to attempt to stop the fast breaks that killed us in previous games. The game came down to a score of 14-14 as Paul brought the ball down the court while I lurked in the corner behind the line. A quick pass from Paul and I took a shot. I called game.

Nothing.

But.

Net

And boom goes the dynamite. The other team was in shock as I walked calmly off the court, nbd.

The reporter immediately stepped up to me for an interview and asked me my opinions on the series of games. “It was a good game both teams played hard,” I replied.

It was a great day for ball and we were supposed to go balling more times over the weekend but Pokemon took precedence. I definitely cannot wait to ball again with Smogonites!

Some Photos of the Day:

Omari getting ready to hoop it up

Getting ready for tipoff

Len diving for rebounds.

A lot of balls would not even touch the rim

Omari post dunking

Chucking up shots

Alan going up strong

Len looking confused.

Hustling for dat loose ball.

Chad working that low post

Hoopster Paul tries his J against Luke's tenacious D.

Props:
- Great games all around, we can surprisingly ball for Pokemon players.
- All the players that participated. We must do this again sometime
- Omari for doing what he do best
- Chad
- Photographic proof that this actually happened (Thanks AOK and supe)
- Fucking hoopsters

Slops:
- Taco Smackdown prior did not help any of our athletic performances
- Len, you got DENIED
- Missing some players that could have balled such as Blucookies, Cybertron, Fish, PBB, etc.
- BS Rim Hax
- Pretty ghetto park
- Fucking hoopsters.

Call me for that one too... this soccer/basketball/kickball? shit is NOT making me look good :/ street hockey or tennis plz

Also I enjoyed trying to post up all prolike and then trying the whole turnaround jumper thing and getting a like 2 inch jump(thanks loafers) and missing the shot by like four feet or something even though I was in the paint like a boss. IMO next time we should play a sport I've done more recently freshman gym in HS...

The backs of my ankles are still bloody but it was so worth it. Fun time and fun writeup yea!

(Also nominating BI and Chad for suspect test)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Huy aka ShaqHuyle O'Neal
Got that low post game, but also like Shaq, cannot really shoot or keep up with the younger kids.
hahahahahahaha

- BS Rim Hax
At first Andrea was like "can you really tell these are nerds playing?" to which I responded "yes" because this was basically the entire game.

It was quite fun to gawk at you guys though

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Let's be honest here, the topless mexican hardcore handball game next door was 100x better than this.

Supe

would you suck the poison out
Awesome warstory! I thought I was gonna die running aroud in jeans. Next time we play I'm wearing my hoopster gear.

Also, don't remember who said it but this was my favorite quote of the day:

"what the hell is handball?!"

"it's basically racquetball for people that are too poor to afford racquets."

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wish I'd been in on this. Could have made an effort for team GB.
Next year's sport: Cricket.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Yeah, those golfers were pretty bad. :D DUYYY! It was great hanging with you, we definitely need to ball next year. Also, I tapped in for someone in the third game ( I can't remember who (Maybe Scott)).

Well I wasn't here, Huy knew that Greysong and I weren't good enough hoopsters compared to BadIntent so he dropped us off at the hotel to bring the greatest hoopster.

P.S. Cybertron censor your post! Its H-E Double Hockey Sticks!

This was awesome! I hope we can play again next year, or at the very least some other sort of athletic event. Also, I can bring my cornhole set up from home if we want to play somewhere besides scotty's next year at Nats (I wouldn't be able to fit it into a suitcase to take on a plane to Worlds though, sadly.)

I dread to think what would have happened had I played in this, if what happened with the football and frisbee is anything to go by. :o

dang i'm pissed i missed this!! I was at a recruiting bball camp down in LA! wouldve shown you guys how its done! but funny and cool warstory! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)