"Worst Pokémon Ever"

When people say something is good in the context of competitive Pokemon, they are referring to OU (the "main" tier) or VGC unless they state otherwise. Your original post implied Florges is a good OU mon, which is not true in the slightest as it is completely eclipsed by Sylveon. I can't say for certain how good it is in VGC because I have little experience in the format, but its abilities are gimmicky border-lining on useless going by theory alone.
There's absolutely nothing they implied in any tier. Don't just go ahead and assume things. BTW, Clefable > Sylveon, for that matter.

There's absolutely nothing they implied in any tier. Don't just go ahead and assume things. BTW, Clefable > Sylveon, for that matter.
Iirc, Sylveon and Clefable do at least have enough differences in movepool, abilities and such to stand out from one another.
Florges doesn't really have anything significant to separate itself from Sylveon.

Anyhow... worst Pokémon ever?
Well, I'm gonna have to nominate three all on the same level. Well, six not counting them as evolutionary families...

Despite the fact I'm using one of them in a current White playthrough... I hate these things so much. It's really just mostly concept wise.
They literally exist just for a one-gym gimmick. That's it. And you're practically FORCED to use them to beat the gym, and... I just really hate forced gimmicks that only work for one thing that won't even matter later. At the very least Milotic, while obviously being a gimmick to promote Contests in Gen 3, has things about it that still makes it a unique and interesting Pokémon generations after what it's gimmick is for faded away.
These guys? Well, they decided to tack on an evolution for each one with decent enough stats just so you didn't drop them straight away and they didn't feel like dead weight. So let's see, have they got anything that sets them apart from the one gimmick of a gym? Well... their stats are all the exact same as each other and they're not particularly outstanding... they all have boring mono-types... they don't have any unique moves... their abilities are awful... you get better choices for all three types that are more interesting throughout the course of all three games you get them in... yeah, these guys are pretty fucking awful.
They just feel like such an unnecessary and forgettable waste of space and even though they're only good for that one gimmick? They are STILL whored out throughout the course of BW. A ton of trainers have all three of them in a team and that's it, and you pick up on the pattern and it just gets so boring and uninspired. We get it, you're a fucking trio, go away.
God, just... does anyone like these things? At all? Seriously, just... I'm sorry if this argument seems poorly constructed but I despise these things.

Iirc, Sylveon and Clefable do at least have enough differences in movepool, abilities and such to stand out from one another.
Florges doesn't really have anything significant to separate itself from Sylveon.

Anyhow... worst Pokémon ever?
Well, I'm gonna have to nominate three all on the same level. Well, six not counting them as evolutionary families...

Despite the fact I'm using one of them in a current White playthrough... I hate these things so much. It's really just mostly concept wise.
They literally exist just for a one-gym gimmick. That's it. And you're practically FORCED to use them to beat the gym, and... I just really hate forced gimmicks that only work for one thing that won't even matter later. At the very least Milotic, while obviously being a gimmick to promote Contests in Gen 3, has things about it that still makes it a unique and interesting Pokémon generations after what it's gimmick is for faded away.
These guys? Well, they decided to tack on an evolution for each one with decent enough stats just so you didn't drop them straight away and they didn't feel like dead weight. So let's see, have they got anything that sets them apart from the one gimmick of a gym? Well... their stats are all the exact same as each other and they're not particularly outstanding... they all have boring mono-types... they don't have any unique moves... their abilities are awful... you get better choices for all three types that are more interesting throughout the course of all three games you get them in... yeah, these guys are pretty fucking awful.
They just feel like such an unnecessary and forgettable waste of space and even though they're only good for that one gimmick? They are STILL whored out throughout the course of BW. A ton of trainers have all three of them in a team and that's it, and you pick up on the pattern and it just gets so boring and uninspired. We get it, you're a fucking trio, go away.
God, just... does anyone like these things? At all? Seriously, just... I'm sorry if this argument seems poorly constructed but I despise these things.
Don't forget shiny sprites with the exact same colour pallet as the normal =D.

Also I nominate Blissey and Chancey. I feel their base stats are rediculious, and their designs are just more pink shit.

Last edited:
Magikarp.
Splash, Tackle, And Flail.

(It's also just a fish)
But, it turns into Gyrados. I don't mind Magikarp because it does have some nice Pokedex entries and works well as the fish no one wants.

I'll go and nominate Voltorb.

The design is literally a Pokeball with some eyes glued on. It is annoying, Arceus help you if you find it in a Nuzlocke and it uses Self Destruct, and it's... it's....
Why.

I would have to nominate stunfisk as it is just a crushed fish and it isn't even water type. What does it do? I don't know...also, Elgyem is really weird and I don't understand it.

While none of these are bad pokemon in any way, based on what they are they were given typing that really doesn't make sense:
Noctowl
It's a bird that comes out in the dark, make it dark flying type! But no, apparently we need another normal/flying type.

Flygon
It's based on a dragonfly but isn't part bug type? Dragon/bug type would be so cool too!

Florges
It's a flower that is somehow only fairy type? fairy grass maybe?

While none of these are bad pokemon in any way, based on what they are they were given typing that really doesn't make sense:
Noctowl
It's a bird that comes out in the dark, make it dark flying type! But no, apparently we need another normal/flying type.

Flygon
It's based on a dragonfly but isn't part bug type? Dragon/bug type would be so cool too!

Florges
I agree these pokemon need these retypings....GF is lazy nowadays so MAKE MEGA EVOs!

I also think noctowl should be dark flying or psychic flying.

Noctowl

Flygon

Florges
Noctowl was the second Normal/Flying line to be introduced, and as an early route Pokemon, Normal seems fine.

Flygon isn't based on a dragonfly, though. It's based on an antlion, thus the Ground typing it maintains throughout its evolution line. Maybe if it receives a Mega Evolution it'll exchange one type for Bug? Who knows.

Yeah, I've got nothing for Florges...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Noctowl was the second Normal/Flying line to be introduced
More like fourth. Pidgey, Spearow and Doduo were already there in Gen I.

I think we should end this discussion because i found this on the internet:
Ah, the famous "these banalities surely end the thread and shut up all the other participants, because nobody have heard these eloquent words before" argument. While the argument in the image might have some merit to it, it's outside the context of this thread. While all Pokémon may have some merit to them, it's pretty obvious that the designers did a better job with some than others, and there are a lot of bad apples in the bunch. Moreover, that argument has also been stated (and refuted) a thousand times before elsewhere. If you've been around the Pokémon community for longer than a few months, you're bound to have come across it or realized it's a fallacy (strawman, to be more precise). Also, when did posting a picture with somebody else's argument on it ever end a thriving debate?

Ah, the famous "these banalities surely end the thread and shut up all the other participants, because nobody have heard these eloquent words before" argument. While the argument in the image might have some merit to it, it's outside the context of this thread. While all Pokémon may have some merit to them, it's pretty obvious that the designers did a better job with some than others, and there are a lot of bad apples in the bunch. Moreover, that argument has also been stated (and refuted) a thousand times before elsewhere. If you've been around the Pokémon community for longer than a few months, you're bound to have come across it or realized it's a fallacy (strawman, to be more precise). Also, when did posting a picture with somebody else's argument on it ever end a thriving debate?
Right... Somehow forgot about Spearow and Doduo...

Noctowl was the second Normal/Flying line to be introduced, and as an early route Pokemon, Normal seems fine.

Flygon isn't based on a dragonfly, though. It's based on an antlion, thus the Ground typing it maintains throughout its evolution line. Maybe if it receives a Mega Evolution it'll exchange one type for Bug? Who knows.

Yeah, I've got nothing for Florges...
the antlion thing makes the pre evolutions and ground typing make a lot more sense
still, we got ground/dragon with garchomp.
...which now that i look at garchomp, i feel like it should be water/dragon since it looks so much like a shark

the antlion thing makes the pre evolutions and ground typing make a lot more sense
...which now that i look at garchomp, i feel like it should be water/dragon since it looks so much like a shark
it is a shark
but a land... shark
just like krookodile is a land... crocodile

Garchomp also came after, and being a "land shark"/fighter jet mix is kind of clever... unlike, say, Pachirisu, who's just an electric squirrel.

Garchomp also came after, and being a "land shark"/fighter jet mix is kind of clever... unlike, say, Pachirisu, who's just an electric squirrel.
dont even get me started on pachirisu haha

can i also nominate maractus?
this thing looks like a digimon and no one seems to use it

Last edited:

Yes it did. All arguments must end sometime, you can't keep going on and on. If arguments lasted forever we would never get anywhere in life. This is probably the wrong place to discuss this...

Oh, Mr. Mime for sure. It has literally no good qualities. Worst design ever, worst name ever, based on the worst real-world thing ever, and it's also nearly worthless in-battle and in-game.

Runners up: Jynx, Miltank, Vanilluxe, Cryogonal, Probopass, Samurott, Emboar, Tangrowth, snubull.

I have a personal grudge against mega-houndoom because of that accursed ability. I've been waiting for a houndoom evo for more than a decade, only to have it lose its immunity in favor of a nearly useless ability.
I can at least agree with you on Mega Houndoom. The ability sucks balls.

Last edited:
Everything sucks.
Not... really. The +20 speed boost is incredible and just the right tier to outspeed most notable threats like Latios and Gengar aside from those with incredible outstanding speed like a Mega Lopunny or something. The Special Attack boost, while not the best for a Mega, is just enough to be notable and abuse Nasty Plot. The defence boost is... rather bizarre if I'm honest, but I can see what they're going for and it's not as if it's completely useless (looking at you, Mega Gardevoir's +20 Attack). Really it just needed a good non-situational ability to tie it up in a neat package but it unfortunately didn't get that.

I personally think there's more to be gained from a "bad" Pokemon than something forgettable, like Vanilluxe vs Lumineon.

With a bad Pokemon, I usually can get the sense that they were going somewhere with it and it simply didn't pan out. Spinda is terrible, but it's clear it was designed from the start to show off "look at all the variation we can do with this game now!" If nothing else, bad Pokemon have some defined mentality to their creation that can be improved on/corrected later. Aegislash managed to come about as a bit of a subversion on the "Evolve = Add more of the mon" trope people complained about with things like Dugtrio or Magneton. With bad Pokemon there are points and traits to criticize in some manner.

With Lumineon, it's just lazy and there's nothing else to it. It's not designed for a playstyle, even a gimmicky one like Castform or Cherrim with weather stuff, and was obvious dex filler. There's really nothing to even criticize about it to suggest improvement because there is nothing to it in particular that is more "wrong" than anything else.

But onto the point of this post, the Mon I hate more than any off the top of my head is probably Avalugg. Not that it's the worst in a vacuum on any front, but because of what it represents to me in a sense. But let's touch on each point.

1. Design: The Design of this mon is just so... off to me in a way. I can't put my finger on it too clearly, but something about it seems too angular for what it wants to look like. The body is basically an inverted Iceberg, but the top is too flat to look organic to me, and the limbs very clearly look too much like they were just fastened on. Regirock I can kind of accept that since the "main" body also contains the conscious part so it makes sense given the idea that it rebuilds itself, but Avalugg looks like his head could just fall off anytime. Compare to designs like Tyranitar or Chandelure: those designs know where to be angular and where to have some kind of curvature. Avalugg looks very haphazard with that, and seems like it just tried to sharped some curves on what would otherwise be a rolly-polly design.

2. Competitive: This is self-explanatory. It's a slow Pokemon meant to take hits with huge Defense, but its Special is so abyssmal that it wouldn't work too well even with good defensive typing. Now consider Ice's reputation as a terrible defensive one.

3. Conceptually: This is what bothers me the most about this mon on the whole. Gamefreak is still trying to make Ice work as some kind of defensive (or balanced in other cases) build, despite it failing almost every time they did it in the past. The best Ice types in competitive play are offensive ones like Mamoswine and Weavile, and even for main game most people prefer mons with offensive traits like Lapras which has a good special movepool. With Avalugg, the sheer scale of its stats make me think they're still trying to do this and assume it works it they just inflate the numbers to even more ridiculous degrees. Gamefreak's designers don't realize this is an issue with the inherent design of the Ice typing, not a small problem with how they min-max things in the stat department.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)