Worst Pokemon Sprites?

Shiny Dragonite.

Not the worst Shiny ever, but bad enough that one of my friends who caught a Shiny Dratini gave it an Everstone once it got to Dragonair. Just so he would never have to think about Shiny Dragonite. (It's mostly that puke-green color.)

EDIT: 300th post, apparently. Kinda strange how I only just noticed that milestone.

Shiny Dragonite.

Not the worst Shiny ever, but bad enough that one of my friends who caught a Shiny Dratini gave it an Everstone once it got to Dragonair. Just so he would never have to think about Shiny Dragonite. (It's mostly that puke-green color.)

EDIT: 300th post, apparently. Kinda strange how I only just noticed that milestone.
I dislike Dragonite's design in general. The spaghetti things on its head, the big belly in combination with super small wings, its usually orange colour... it's kind of weird how Dratini and Dragonair have more powerful, elegant and mysterious designs than their evolution. Even most final form starters look more bad-ass than Dragonite...

I dislike Dragonite's design in general. The spaghetti things on its head, the big belly in combination with super small wings, its usually orange colour... it's kind of weird how Dratini and Dragonair have more powerful, elegant and mysterious designs than their evolution. Even most final form starters look more bad-ass than Dragonite...
Oh so it's unicorn worm appreciation day again? Dragonite is fine, actually it's an improvement over the original dratini design.

Also green means luck, and based on that concept a lucky dragon is the best dragon.

Not puke green though. That's just awful. I think the green dragon is a nice touch of flavor now that you mention it, but there are other shades of green that might have worked better.

Not puke green though. That's just awful. I think the green dragon is a nice touch of flavor now that you mention it, but there are other shades of green that might have worked better.
Every dragon has a green shiny, I swear. Salamence, dragonite, Zard x, both mega latis and kinda regular latios, druddigon, dragalge is partially, hydreigon, dialga, and noivern, at least. Green is not a creative color.

Idk, I kinda like shiny Dragalgae. The color scheme has a nice contrast to it imo.

Dragonite on the other hand, I think we can all agree the OG dragon got screwed in the shiny department...
I will give Gen VI some credit: They made shiny Dragonite a little less puke-ish because the 3D models slightly dulled the colors, so it's semidecent in my book. Comparison:

Also, the shiny IS sorta fitting (aside from maybe the purple underwings), when you consider that dragons and lizards are, for the most part, stereotypically green, more common in the latter.

Now, as for bad shinies:

While I AM a fan of the color pink, Moltres is just... no. The flames and Moltres's wing shape completely ruin the color, and make Moltres look like a raw turkey that's being cooked.

Those stripes...

Also, this isn't a bad shiny imo, but I'd figure I'd point out this one.

I actually LIKE this shiny a lot. The colors go fairly well with each other, and I'm pretty sure Game Freak gave Volcanion this shiny for laughs. I mean, what's funnier than a tough Pokemon getting such a vibrant shiny?

I don't really dislike shiny Dragonite more than regular Dragonite (at least, not its 6th Generation model, the sprites' greens were very pukeworthy I agree with that). Also, yes I appreciate the 'unicorn worms' better (though Dratini doesn't even have a horn? and it depends on how their artwork is done). Dratini's XY model is unflattering in my opinion. Platinum's sprite was much more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Dragonair's design is not one I really appreciate, but I don't dislike it either. The wings and horn are a bit random, and it has more tail than it knows how to handle, but at least it can be sort of cute sometimes I guess. It's neutral to me.

But Dragonite is just not my thing, no matter which way I look at it. I remember than scene in the anime with the whale noises and the Dragonite in the misty shadows... and then how Dragonite tried to be bad-ass during the Orange League... for some reason it feels out of character to me? Norne talked about the 'luck' aspect it (or at least the shiny) was based on, but I thought the way shiny palettes were generated was just a math thing, and no people ever consciously sat down to think about shiny designs? But I might have remembered that falsely. If the usual Dragonite was based on luck though, I would at least understand why it tries to be the big best friend so much.

Anyway, I dislike negatively clashing shinies even more than regular ugly shinies.

Like this Swampert. Why would anyone want that shiny?

And what happened to Chimecho? :'[

I can't look very long at these, because those two are Pokemon I really like and I want to remember them fondly...

I don't really dislike shiny Dragonite more than regular Dragonite (at least, not its 6th Generation model, the sprites' greens were very pukeworthy I agree with that). Also, yes I appreciate the 'unicorn worms' better (though Dratini doesn't even have a horn? and it depends on how their artwork is done). Dratini's XY model is unflattering in my opinion. Platinum's sprite was much more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Dragonair's design is not one I really appreciate, but I don't dislike it either. The wings and horn are a bit random, and it has more tail than it knows how to handle, but at least it can be sort of cute sometimes I guess. It's neutral to me.

But Dragonite is just not my thing, no matter which way I look at it. I remember than scene in the anime with the whale noises and the Dragonite in the misty shadows... and then how Dragonite tried to be bad-ass during the Orange League... for some reason it feels out of character to me? Norne talked about the 'luck' aspect it (or at least the shiny) was based on, but I thought the way shiny palettes were generated was just a math thing, and no people ever consciously sat down to think about shiny designs? But I might have remembered that falsely. If the usual Dragonite was based on luck though, I would at least understand why it tries to be the big best friend so much.

Anyway, I dislike negatively clashing shinies even more than regular ugly shinies.

I can't look very long at these, because those two are Pokemon I really like and I want to remember them fondly...
I actually am the exact same- that bothers my artists eye like nothing else. Along w/ that, I hate how many pink ones there are. It gets really repetitive. Garchomp for example, has a sick shiny. Barely different, but sweet nonetheless.
Exhibit A:

Then gamefreak gives it a mega, and somehow it's even more of a disgusting BA shark dragon than it already is. It's shiny should reflect that right? It gets gnarlier, it's shiny should get even more so! Like gengar! But then...
Exhibit B:

TF is this?!? Why? Like, it just makes no sense. Also, shiny mega gyarados, while ridiculously cool, is kinda a let down. Basically, the areas that changed from blue to black normally stayed red instead of turning black, (or even white- that'd be sick) as well. Megazard x is kinda weird, color-wise, too. The dark red and weird, dark, turquoisey color just doesn't really work. Pink works for lopunny, but the colors kinda clash- it's weird. Pinsir turns kind of a weird color, but it's just whatever, but then it mega evolves and all hell breaks lose. It's like, some weird, acid-induced version of itself, and it makes no sense to me. Salamence is the same deal, the colors are really weird, except it actually gets a little bit better as a mega (I still don't really like it design-wise).

However, shiny toxicroak definitely clashes, but it works, because it's like a poison dart frog. Stuff like that is actually way cool.

However, shiny toxicroak definitely clashes, but it works, because it's like a poison dart frog. Stuff like that is actually way cool.
I actually really love shiny Toxicroak as well, that's a nice example of clashing colours being used the right way. And ugh yes, I had already repressed shiny Garchomp and shiny pink companions to the back of my mind. There are also a lot of weird unexplainable greens in shinies, like Ursaring, Jolteon, Espeon, just to name a few...
I don't really dislike shiny mega-Gyarados, but it just could have been so much better with a little bit more contrast in the colours... a bit of a 'lost potential' kind of feeling. But I still like it anyway.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Even someone that likes shinies as much as me has admit that there's some bad ones.
I will give Gen VI some credit: They made shiny Dragonite a little less puke-ish because the 3D models slightly dulled the colors, so it's semidecent in my book. Comparison:

Also, the shiny IS sorta fitting (aside from maybe the purple underwings), when you consider that dragons and lizards are, for the most part, stereotypically green, more common in the latter.
Weird, I prefer the color of the 2D Shiny Dragonite. I just don't like the brighter, but paler shade of green of the 3D one as much.
Now, as for bad shinies:

While I AM a fan of the color pink, Moltres is just... no. The flames and Moltres's wing shape completely ruin the color, and make Moltres look like a raw turkey that's being cooked.
I think that it's funny that Shiny Moltres looks like a burning rubber chicken. Although I like this shiny, (admittedly, for the wrong reasons :P) I can only defend its FRLG sprite.

Shiny Moltres is surprisingly good in gen 3 and actually looks less like a burning rubber chicken than Normal Gen 3 Moltres. The later Shiny Moltres Sprites were definitely too red. In fact, I think that Shiny Gen 6 Moltres is more red than pink.
Also, this isn't a bad shiny imo, but I'd figure I'd point out this one.

I actually LIKE this shiny a lot. The colors go fairly well with each other, and I'm pretty sure Game Freak gave Volcanion this shiny for laughs. I mean, what's funnier than a tough Pokemon getting such a vibrant shiny?
Volcanian is like Wolverine. They both look surprisingly good in yellow jumpsuits.

Shiny Chimecho looks borderline defendable and Swampert looks pretty good... or at least they did in 2D. I won't defend these in 3D. The dulled colors hurt these too much.

Those stripes...

This doesn't hurt my eyes and never has, but I got one when filling up my boxes in Black 1 to make it so that I didn't have to catch Reshiram, so feel free to take that as personal bias.

Shiny Emboar on the other hand...

...was pain on first sight. I'm sure we'd have a lot less bad shinies if the guy who thought this color scheme was a good idea was never taken seriously.

I actually really love shiny Toxicroak as well, that's a nice example of clashing colours being used the right way. And ugh yes, I had already repressed shiny Garchomp and shiny pink companions to the back of my mind. There are also a lot of weird unexplainable greens in shinies, like Ursaring, Jolteon, Espeon, just to name a few...
I don't really dislike shiny mega-Gyarados, but it just could have been so much better with a little bit more contrast in the colours... a bit of a 'lost potential' kind of feeling. But I still like it anyway.
Jolteon and Espeon are justified, somewhat. Jolteon's neon-green color could reference stereotypical plasma, and the opposite of purple (Espeon's normal color scheme) is green. (And yes, I actually REALLY like shiny Espeon.)

Most others, like the mentioned Ursauring, aren't.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I felt like this needed to be on a different post than my one that talks about shinies.

RSE Moltres looks like it as a talon on fire for no apparent reason. I didn't realize until today that its tail was behind the talon, but even knowing that, it still looks like its talon is burning.
I don't know which one is worse..

Edit: OK, the right one is worse.
The Lord Helix on the left reminds me of Octodad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)